Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion-"Taking a Break from All Your Worries" (1/28/07) (spoilers)

mdfain

[41]Jan 28, 2007
    • level: 6
    well your never realy sure whats going to happen from the promo i just can't wait and find out it might not even show anying thing this time
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

weirdaaron

[42]Jan 28, 2007
    • level: 3
    Yea the promo made it look like he died on the galacitca (by suicide or murder) and then wakes up in a resserection tank on a cylon ship.

Its going to be a great episode, though I am not happy it won't be new next week.

Cerrav

[43]Jan 28, 2007
    I hope Laura turns out to be one of the final five Cylons.  It'd be sweet ironic justice for such a hateful biotch!    I just can't believe how crudely they're treating Baltar.  This show is great at making you wonder who the real 'evil-doers' are.

123home123

[44]Jan 28, 2007
    • level: 55
    An interesting episode, if not as good as "Rapture" or "Collaborators." I was surprised to see the resolution of the Lee-Kara flirtation. Maybe it's not completely resolved but I don't think Lee would leave Dee after his speech at the bar. Some of the "soap-opera-ish" scenes were a little slow.

We found out that Baltar isn't one of the Final Five but he still seems to have a special destiny.

Random notes:

--I don't think Grace Park appeared in the episode. Leah Cairns (Racetrack) was credited but I don't really remember seeing her. I was just about to ask where she was. She hasn't had much to do lately.

--The bar was featured on David Eick's video blog but it didn't play that big a role in the episode. I don't think it quite fit with the Baltar story either.
    Edited on 01/28/2007 8:54pm

KSisko2006

[45]Jan 28, 2007
    • level: 5
    I absolutely agree with you. The bar scenes and the soap-opera theatrics of "will they or won't they" really didn't fit with the tone of the Baltar storyline, which was, at times, extremely dark. Kudos to James Callis for his continuing excellance in his portrayal of such a pitiful, conflicted, torturted soul.

Two scenes really wowed me tonight (beware the spoilers)....

1. The sit-down between my favorite president and the man who used to be president. I have to say that she did fool me for a minute. I wasn't quite sure if she was going to 86 him or not. It was a tense and frightening scene brought together by two great actors. Reminded me of the days with Garak and Sisko on board Deep Space Nine so many years ago. Olmos' direction as he brought us down the Memorial Corridor so the eyes of the dead could look upon the one who was responsible for their deaths was handled nicely. Again, it was hard not to feel just a little bit for Baltar as he tried to convince himself that he was not responsible.

2. Gaeta's attack on Baltar. Wow. I kinda thought it would've gone the other way. Again, nicely handled by Olmos with the overhead shot and the back and forth between Gaeta and Baltar. I am not a huge fan of Felix Gaeta (I'm not completely convinced he isn't a toaster) but he did a great job tonight.

With the exception of the Baltar storyline, the rest of the episode was pretty meh. I am more than perturbed that the dance between the couples isn't over yet. I would've been really happy if Dee told Lee to cram it with walnuts and left. The fact that she crumbled only lessens her character on the whole. Seriously, I hope this storyline settles into the background for a long time.

darthykat1

[46]Jan 28, 2007
    About, Laura Roslin, all I can say is, "WOW"! I never thought soft-spoken Laura could put on a **** persona. Some man must of done her wrong in the past that shows by her rough treatment of Baltar.

moselose

[47]Jan 28, 2007
    • level: 1

I thought I saw Cally or maybe even Racetrack in that Gaius vision, while in the trip/tank (the one who pushes Gaius in the tank is whom).  Cally is not listed in the credits (I think)...  I also think a Sharon was in the backround... maybe I am just nuts.

acsgrlie

[48]Jan 28, 2007
    • level: 8
    Now i am a 100% Kara/Lee shipper but i gotta say that they're storylines really didn't fit with Baltar's. It seemed out of place when they cut to Baltar in the water and the scene with Kara and Lee with Kara asking him if he would still leave Dee. Their storylines are still far from resolved even tho it looks like they made their decisions with their spouses but we all knnow how easily things can get complicated between them.

scarlett_fever

[49]Jan 29, 2007
    • level: 19

Loved this episode!

*warning spoilers for those who haven't seen the ep*

James Callis is frakkin' AUHmazing! Such great insight into Baltar's psyche. I was glad that he figured out he's not a cylon. The speculation was getting a little old but the beginning where he attempts suicide and wakes up in goo made me freak! I thought for a second that it might be true that he was in fact one of the "Final Five" but I'm much happier with him being human. Roslin was fantastic as well. The jail cell scene where she goes ballistic on Baltar's ass was great.

Mild-mannered Gaeta stabbing Baltar with a pen? Unexpected! I automatically assumed that Baltar accused Gaeta of being a cylon, that would cause such an outburst but now I'm not sure. I think Gaeta got back into the fleet's good graces because he leaked info to the resistence and he played that up in order to get their trust but when Baltar mentioned the "playing both sides" thing to him it made me think that perhaps Gaeta helped the Cylons more on New Caprica then people think. Maybe not willingly but it's possible. Hell anything on this show is possible.

Great episode. Baltar's trial is going to be great to see and I hope we see more of captive Caprica Six in coming episodes.

*end rant*

AuntPat

[50]Jan 29, 2007
    • level: 9
    There's no hatred like love betrayed.  Gaeta admired Baltar to an unbelieveable degree at one time.  When the scales finally fell from his eyes, his hatred of Baltar was increased by his disgust at his own attraction to the former president.  No surprise that Gaeta would try to kill him.  

MattBoxer

[51]Jan 29, 2007
    • level: 9
    i can't find the extended version of the six and roslyn discussion that was supposed to appear online. anyone find it?

fcjd06

[52]Jan 29, 2007
    • level: 4

123home123 wrote:
    ... Random notes: [.] ...Leah Cairns (Racetrack) was credited but I don't really remember seeing her. I was just about to ask where she was. She hasn't had much to do lately.

When Sam and Kara were having their "heart to heart" in Kara's rack, I noticed Racetrack was one of the pilots hanging around in the area.

AprilFox

[53]Jan 29, 2007
    • level: 109

KSisko2006 wrote:

1. The sit-down between my favorite president and the man who used to be president. I have to say that she did fool me for a minute. I wasn't quite sure if she was going to 86 him or not. It was a tense and frightening scene brought together by two great actors. Reminded me of the days with Garak and Sisko on board Deep Space Nine so many years ago. Olmos' direction as he brought us down the Memorial Corridor so the eyes of the dead could look upon the one who was responsible for their deaths was handled nicely. Again, it was hard not to feel just a little bit for Baltar as he tried to convince himself that he was not responsible.

2. Gaeta's attack on Baltar. Wow. I kinda thought it would've gone the other way. Again, nicely handled by Olmos with the overhead shot and the back and forth between Gaeta and Baltar. I am not a huge fan of Felix Gaeta (I'm not completely convinced he isn't a toaster) but he did a great job tonight.

I was totally blown away by these two scenes they made the episode (IMO). I'm beginning to think that Gaeta is a toaster. Are they tricking me again?

Darkness1234

[54]Jan 29, 2007
    • level: 13
    MattBoxer wrote:
    i can't find the extended version of the six and roslyn discussion that was supposed to appear online. anyone find it?

I think you mean http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/video/index.php?cat=features&seas=1&vid=58440 but at the moment it is not working

Getting back on topic, I thought this was a very dark episode, I guess Baltar is still with us and not been killed off which is great.

gabfan31

[55]Jan 29, 2007
    • level: 100
    I was a little disappointed. The Baltar story was good, and it was great seeing Laura show some teeth, but the Lee/Dee/Kara/Anders thing was a bust, and that bar just didn't work for me. I'm tired of all the drinking and the angst. Let's get back to some Viper action! 

123home123

[56]Jan 29, 2007
    I had a lot of problems with the video using Firefox. I had to switch to IE (through IE View). Then the video played. It was only available "for a short time" after the end of the episode, probably until about 2 am EST.

I think it was about 2 min. 30 sec. long. Here's a summary in case you missed it:

Roslin questioned Caprica, alone in her cell. Roslin says they know Baltar wasn't involved in the initial Cylon attack, but they need more. Caprica says she doesn't want to be "airlocked." Roslin gives her word that Caprica won't be airlocked. Caprica says something like, "just like you gave your word to Leoben." The color drained from Roslin's face. Oh, you know about that? Caprica says that Leoben told the other Cylons.

Roslin continued on. She sees that Caprica still has deep feelings for Baltar even though Baltar betrayed Caprica. (It's not explained how she knew about Baltar and D'Anna, if that's what she's talking about.) Roslin doesn't understand it but she admires that devotion.

Roslin offers Caprica a deal to save Baltar's life. Caprica offers a deal of her own. If Baltar is given a fair trial, she will tell Roslin everything she knows. Moreover, she will be the chief witness at that trial.

123home123

[57]Jan 29, 2007
    fcjd06 wrote:
    123home123 wrote:
    ... Random notes: [.] ...Leah Cairns (Racetrack) was credited but I don't really remember seeing her. I was just about to ask where she was. She hasn't had much to do lately.
    When Sam and Kara were having their "heart to heart" in Kara's rack, I noticed Racetrack was one of the pilots hanging around in the area.

The pilot had the hairstyle that Racetrack has had this season, with her hair parted on the left, but I couldn't see her face completely. Her hair used to be pulled back in a ponytail.
    Edited on 01/29/2007 7:06am

Nethicus

[58]Jan 29, 2007
    KSisko2006 wrote:
    I absolutely agree with you. The bar scenes and the soap-opera theatrics of "will they or won't they" really didn't fit with the tone of the Baltar storyline, which was, at times, extremely dark. Kudos to James Callis for his continuing excellance in his portrayal of such a pitiful, conflicted, torturted soul.

I disagree. The episode revolved around the topic of betrayal, and, as always, the writers do an excellent job of weaving various degrees of betrayal together into a complete study of the human dynamic.

***SPOILER***

123home123

[59]Jan 29, 2007
    Interesting points but the level of betrayal is so much different between that of Lee/Kara and that of Baltar. Lee's betrayal of Dee results in just the emotional turmoil of one person whereas Baltar's betrayal led to the deaths of thousands of people. His carelessness before the initial Cylon attack contributed to the deaths of billions of people.

Betrayal is rarely (if ever) honorable or desirable but I still don't think the two stories fit that well together. I'll think better of the Lee/Kara story if Lee truly has come to terms with his marriage. He's an officer and a leader. I think he needs to figure out what he truly wants and go with it. He's supposed to be decisive and responsible so he needs to pick Dee or Kara and be done with it. I think he realizes that he can't afford to let himself be such an emotional mess with the constant threat of annihilation at the hands of the Cylons.

aakeemz

[60]Jan 29, 2007
    • level: 7

The writers seem to be following the pattern of the 70s version with the idea that Starbuck can't fully committ to either man. The original Starbuck never seemed focus enough to get a real relationship going with the two girls he knew in that series.  But will this mean that the writers will also strand Starbuck on some planetoid as the 70s writers did to their Starbuck? For all us Kara fans I hope not, I like her as a brooding and intense soldier.  But I would like  to Lee Adama punished for sending  Dee on that death  mission to save his "lover."