TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion-"Taking a Break from All Your Worries" (1/28/07) (spoilers)

Chainblast

[81]Jan 30, 2007
    • level: 6
    gabfan31 wrote:
    That is one of my real objections to the show, that there seems to be an awful lot "swept under the rug". From Callie killing Boomer, or the death of the interrogating officer from the Pegasus, to Helo killing Sharon, or Apollo or Starbuck disobeying directs orders to be cowboys, there is NO discipline on that bucket. I understand why all these actions were taken, I sympathize, I even think they did the right thing on occasion, but that's not the point. There is anarchy on the Galactica, and it's time Adama did something about it! Gaeta should be court martialed for his assault and attempted murder of Baltar. I'm not saying find him guilty, or making him serve a long sentence or lose his rank. But they can't keep doing this and stay under control. And if they aren't under control they'll be pushovers for the next basestar that finds them.

One can find strong and frail excuses for a lot of the reasons stuff is swept under the rug, but this Gaeta one pretty much destroys two things setup in season 3. In "Unfinished Business" the entire theme from Adama seemed to be about him (and everyone else) getting soft and forgetting what kind of time they were living in. The other being in "A Meassure of Salvation" where Helo argues the imortality of using a desease to devestate the Cylon race, especially when Adama gives his little opinion to Roslyn about how these actions are liable to tear off a peice of the soul. So I ask myself, if Adama is supposed to be Mr.Hard-ass now and drugged up on upholding morality, he pretty much set up a huge flaw in the seasons theme. First his presumed non-punishment of Gaeta (yet to be proven) destroys his "tough" speach towards the end of "Unfinished Business" and second, he really doesn't care about morality and upholding the colonial way of life by denying Baltar the right to a humane being, traitor or not...he has yet to be convicted.

Maybe I'm reading into it too much, but half the stuff they've done in season 3 has turned into a mess. It's not that the season was bad, they just seemed to contradict so much I'm loosing track of whether it's a change of heart or sloppy writing. My personal opinion though is Sci-Fi wanted the writers to delivery more episode than the original plan would allow for. I've seen RDM tell great serial television with "Carnivale", and have a hard time believing the mess season 3 is turning into is singularly his doing.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

123home123

[82]Jan 31, 2007
    • level: 55
    Apparently this episode was originally supposed to be more lighthearted in tone, with a greater focus on Joe's Bar and the combined effort it took to put it together. It looks like most of that was cut from the final version of the episode. I think the Joe's Bar story would have fit better with the Lee/Kara story.

The Baltar plot was extremely dark and powerful but I still don't think it belonged in the same episode as the Lee/Kara story. It also clashed with the bits of the Joe's Bar story that remained in the final cut.

I think of it this way: Joe's Bar and Lee/Kara would both fit on the old TV series "Cheers" (remember all the drama with Sam and Diane, and Sam and Rebecca?). Baltar's interrogation definitely wouldn't belong on "Cheers". (By the way, I'm mentioning "Cheers" because the title of the episode clearly references that show, which focused on the regulars and employees at a Boston bar run by former athlete Sam Malone. "Taking a Break from All Your Worries" was one of the lines from the theme song of "Cheers".)

gabfan31

[83]Jan 31, 2007
    • level: 100
    Ironic that the part of the episode that everyone seemed to like was the part that didn't belong in the original theme of the episode. I would have liked two separate episodes to tell the two stories. But I'd like a good Viper battle even more.

Libaax

[84]Jan 31, 2007
    • level: 8
    AthenaAurora wrote:

I thought James Callis was fantastic! Totally over the top! How could he not yearn to be a Cylon to escape the hell of torture? And yet if he were a Cylon to awaken(over and over again) with the same torment of guilt and uncertainty?He is in his own personal hell right now, despised by both sides and looking for redemption.

Roslyn: Wow I actually went to do my homework, clean my room,take out the trash and wash behind my ears! You go Madam President!

O.K. So they've got a bar. That don't impress me much but it's a place to hang dog.

As for the soap opera. One should remember that half the population on this planet (if not more)are women.Why not reach out for a few more fans? It struck me as a moral predicament. Starbuck has always been portrayed as the hot blond passing by in a Corvette. To the uncommited and immature it was like,"Yeah, go for it!" Forget that she may be real and have a husband or issues."She wants me now and it could be fun.?" Everyone likes fun (Lee/Kara belong together) but what's down the road? Lee got a shot on Caprica and she let him crash and burn. Then she got into a Hummer with Anders. To the young. "An orgasm doesn't equal commitment."

As for Dee? The Dee haters had it right for all the wrong reasons. Yes, she knew what she was geting into. She took the risk. She not only saved Kara from the planet but she's trying to save Lee from himself. "Lucky?" Think about your mothers people. The good ones that took care of you when you were sick, listened to you whine and put up with all your crap. Now think about the people you know who had the Kara moms. The ones who weren't always around, didn't care about your problems, didn't care what you did so long as she was happy or at the least when it was too late. Now they could have had Dee bursting into tears, throwing things and storming out of the room but that would be out of character for her. You know there are a lot of people out there like her character. To the friendly outgoing types these people seem cold and guarded(very un-Cylon like) but if you took the patience to understand them, you'd see that wearing their emotions on the outside(Lee/Kara) is their frailty. They tend to solve problems with efficiency but when it comes to expressing emotions outright it takes a lot of dumping before they finally let what they feel out. Kudo's to Kandyse. Every line the writers throw at her(though few) she sends out of the park.I did not see her reaction as full out relief. It was more of a "Yeah, nice to see you grovel but you're on probation boy!" type gesture. Ya' know from Lee I almost thought I heard a "You complete me." With Kara it would have been "You compete with me.

Dee is too fricking good for Lee. I was really hoping she wouldnt take him back.

M-r-Anderson

[86]Feb 1, 2007
    • level: 2
    Wow, what an episode... all drama and no need for a battle scene.

Lol - I kinda got a bit frightened when President Roslen whent into a rage... "Tisk tisk Baltar...mm Roslen showing pictures...ahhh! she's getting mad..."

I agree.. don't kill Baltar... my jaw nearly dropped when he was in the tub.. I thought he got away scot free.

However having another cylon prisoner should be interesting.  It's also somewhat dissapointing that no other Battlestars that we know of are out there...but to continously go "Oh sir we seemed to have found another Battlestar" every season would be annoying.. perhaps a Battlestar lasting more than the Pegasus along side Galactica would be good.

This will certainly fill the SG-1 void. Well at least keep me relatively sane.

Libaax

[87]Feb 1, 2007
    • level: 8
    BSG is great but it isnt sci fi as SG1.

I will miss SG1 maybe the third series will fill the void if its that good.

I cant wait to see what they will do to six next ep.

I hope they dont hurt to her too much, she showed good will by helping Athena.

MichaudMR

[88]Feb 1, 2007
    • level: 17

Libaax wrote:
    I cant wait to see what they will do to six next ep. I hope they dont hurt to her too much, she showed good will by helping Athena.

Just a gut feeling, but I don't think they're going to hurt her at all.  They are reasonably sure that coerced interrogation in any form would not work, and there is no point to taking retribution on her either. My guess is there will be a few more interesting conversations between Caprica 6 and Laura Roslin similar in nature to the ones we saw in the clip that was available on the Sci-Fi website directly after the episode.

Helostwin

[89]Feb 1, 2007
    • level: 18

gabfan31 wrote:
    They are so mad because he put his own personal survival above all other considerations. He could have refused to be their Quisling and become a martyr, but chose to cooperate instead. Was it an easy decision? No. Was it understandable? Yes. Was it wrong? Yes! He may have been able to live with his decision on the short term, but I feel no pity for him as he finds out that this is something the rest of humanity won't let him live with on the long term. Too many good people died while he lived in his gilded cage. He could also have found a way to help his people behind the Cylons' backs, like Gaeta did. Gaeta isn't pure as undriven snow either, but at least he tried to help his fellow humans. Baltar deserves to have face justice in a trial, which ought to lead to his summary execution. But since this is a tv show I doubt it will be that easy. 

Maybe I heard it wrong, but didn't Baltar tell Gaeta that he was AWARE that Gaeta was helping the insurgents on New Caprica and even covered up for him? Baltar wasn't in a position to openly resist the occupation but he was in a position to somewhat run interference for people who were. I'm sure in his trial you're going to hear a defense that the resistance would have been crushed if he didn't keep intelligence from the Cylons.

gabfan31

[90]Feb 1, 2007
    • level: 100
    Helostwin wrote:

Maybe I heard it wrong, but didn't Baltar tell Gaeta that he was AWARE that Gaeta was helping the insurgents on New Caprica and even covered up for him? Baltar wasn't in a position to openly resist the occupation but he was in a position to somewhat run interference for people who were. I'm sure in his trial you're going to hear a defense that the resistance would have been crushed if he didn't keep intelligence from the Cylons.

Gaeta's lucky that the Cylons never asked Baltar if he knew who the mole in their organization was, since he would have sold him and all humanity down the river to save himself. That wasn't helping, that was keeping useful information, the only bargaining chip he had, to himself until he needed to call a perceived "debt" that humans owed to him in. He's so egocentric that nothing mattered to him but saving his skin, whoever or whatever he had to do to achieve it. So I'm afraid I won't be congratulating him on his invaluable "assistance" to the resistance any time soon.

Branstrom

[91]Feb 2, 2007
    • level: 6
    I can't believe this ep only got an 8.0 in the ratings here on TV.com. It was awesome. The Baltar stuff was really well done and I much enjoyed Roslin's fit of rage. The Dee/Lee/Kara/Anders-thread is interesting too. But I agree of course that BSG is more of a pure drama than scifi. Hm. It's a lot of both.

I could really go for an action-packed episode soon though. I guess that's what most people are waiting for... Imagine an entire episode with intense, high-stakes Viper battles or covert ops with a stealth ship or all-out Battlestar nuclear war. Or everything at once... That would be satisfying. It'll probably be a while till we get in just the right setting for something like that though.
    Edited on 02/02/2007 1:09pm
    Edited 4 total times.

RizNYC

[92]Feb 2, 2007
    • level: 5
    I don't need all action. Drama and mythos is fine for some episodes. But props to the earlier posters who pointed out how choppy and crammed this episode was. With the Baltar storyline in it (which I like) it was just too much. The Joe's bar scene felt rushed. And I also like the point someone made about the ZERO enforcement of rules on BSG! No one ever gets punished for anything. It's a joke! The Admiral is the softest leader of all time. Helo should have been court-martialed and jailed a season ago. He has betrayed the fleet more times than I can count. It's really getting a little silly. I would give the episode a 7 overall. I don't need action all the time but I do no need a well-edited ep and some logic to the ship "rules."

stacyppl

[93]Feb 3, 2007
    • level: 1
    Someone mentioned Kara being a Cylon. This is possible since they showed a connection between a drawing Kara had from living on Caprica and the picture of the Eye of Jupiter. Perhaps she is one of the Final 5. D'Anna seemed to recognize at least one of the five and sort of apologized (perhaps because she had mistreated this person in some way). Also, Kara really hates herself and be self-destructive and I don't think it all stems from her part in Lee's brother's death. In that weird episode with the pilot that was an ex-druggie hiding her past, Kara seemed to focus on how the girl had no place being around decent people and it almost felt like she was also talking about herself. I also thought it was interesting how Baltar says "My God" and not "My Gods" in this episode. Although he is not a Cylon, perhaps his special purpose will have something to do with the Humans being converrted to a monotheistic religion. Anyway, it seems like the writers are trying to get the show back on track.

marvelfan89

[94]Feb 4, 2007
    • level: 39

I liked this episode and also feel like you have good drama and good acting to carry a story without action and things being blown up. I'am really enjoying the Baltar storyline as it continues. I didn't feel that the bar scene was rushed, everything ran ok for me. As far as the punishment or lack of, it's been like that since the beginning. In a way that is part of military life you can get away with things that you normally wouldn't in civilian life based on a number of things.I also don't mind the triangle love storyline at all. We all know Starbuck is a free spirit and will do what she wants regardless of the consequences. I think this is part of attracts Lee to Kara except he's not as forthcoming about like she is instead reverting back to his I'am trying to be an honest sodier/man type of personality.

HXCDEW

[95]Feb 5, 2007
    • level: 7
    Roslin shouting like high school teacher at Baltar as if he was a pupil in detention was pretty funny. Baltar is great as usual, and the interrogation scene was done very well.

Although, I didn't like this episode on the whole. In fact I hated it because of the Lee/Kara boring "love" story that's going nowhere. I've been very tolerant for the past many episodes to endure Kara's excruciating nature, and I'm very glad if the news of her appearant upcoming death is true. Sweet.

cherrybloosom89

[96]Feb 12, 2007
    • level: 5
    I really am wondering what Baltar said to Gaeta that is not heard. It must be really juicy to get Gaeta even more riled up.
    Maybe he was involved with some kind of conspiracy or something.
    I LOVE GAETA