Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "The Eye of Jupiter" (12/15/06 episode) (spoilers)

AprilFox

[41]Dec 17, 2006
    • level: 109
    I just wanted to say that Edward James Olmos' performance in this episode was stellar. He was brilliant, solid and fearsome. I got chills, he was not going to back down at any cost, even Tigh seemed surprised by the old man. I just wish he would get the accolades he so richly deserves for this series. Amazing.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

firefly3107

[42]Dec 17, 2006
    • level: 1
    Like the way he looked at Baltar when is was suggested he would be given back.... Chills is right!! I loved this episode!! Cannot wait til January as I have avoided all spoilers up to now, I have no idea what happens next.

Branstrom

[43]Dec 17, 2006
    • level: 6
    WTF, now this ep has a rating of 8.6. Started out (when I first checked, maybe 50 people had voted) with like 9.7 or something.

I thought it was a masterpiece. Can't understand the people who rate this a 7 or so. I'm actually pissed off almost. Look at the "Best of 2006" ratings too, if you vote you'll see that Supernatural is like double the score of BSG in all the cases where they stand against each other. It's sad, this is such a fantastic show, the atmosphere, the acting, the action, the plot, everything...
    Edited on 12/17/2006 10:45am

phoneguytim

[44]Dec 17, 2006
    • level: 4
    MichaudMR wrote:

Wouldn't it be neat if Helo and Athena make use of all the confusion to stage a raid on the Basestar and get Hera back?

You know, I had that same thought... I'd miss Athena and what she could potentially bring to the show on the Galactica, but I can also see those 3 setting off by themselves to make a life together, away from all the battle going on between their people.

wedgeantilles54

[45]Dec 17, 2006
    • level: 12

Something will happen invloving the child but what is the biq question, espcially considering the current state of things

MichaudMR

[46]Dec 17, 2006
    • level: 17

I doubt the writers would lose such valuable plot devices as Hera and Athena (Helo hasn't shown me much lately but that could change).  

President Roslin has already stated that Hera must never fall into the hands of the Cylons. Also, based on Admiral Adamas' reaction to finding out about the whole "hide the baby" plot I'm guessing his sense of honor would cause him to try to make some sort of amends for that injustice.

Therefor: If Helo and Athena make the attempt, authorized or not, the leadership would commit assets to support them (sorry, military speak for going to their rescue / helping them out). One possible story line would be the inevitable cliffhanger race against time to get them off of the Basestar before it goes up in a ball of nuclear fire.

Another would be our friend Baltar escaping while rescuing baby Hera in some lame attempt at ingratiating himself with the Colonials.  At that point I would thank him for his help and summarily chuck him out the nearest airlock anyway (but thats just me).   

However: I also don't see that much room in the remaining schedule for much of any of this so either we wait for next season (unlikely), or those clever folks who actually get paid to think this stuff up will find a much neater way to deal with it all. 

bribruce3

[47]Dec 17, 2006
    • level: 2
    If I had to guess about the nukes I would imagine that Galactica got the nukes from Pegasus. In the first season it was said that Galactica only had four nukes left. They used one to destroy the basestar in Kobols Last Gleaming and another was used to blow up Cloud Nine in Lay Down your Burdens which would leave them with less than they are preparing to launch in the Eye of Jupitor. Thats why I think they probably got them from Pegusus.

majoradama

[48]Dec 17, 2006
    • level: 5

Yea the Galactica was a relic about to be decommished and it had 4 nukes and Pegasus was a top of the line ship so it probably had a ton of nukes.

MichaudMR

[49]Dec 17, 2006
    majoradama wrote:

Yea the Galactica was a relic about to be decommished and it had 4 nukes and Pegasus was a top of the line ship so it probably had a ton of nukes.

Following the "don't put all of your eggs in one basket" doctrine it would make sense to have shifted over at least some of the Pegasus' ordinance, including some of the other equipment like a few Vipers and Raptors.  Although it wasn't specifically outlined in the story it would also stand to reason that Lee Adama would have ordered the crew to stuff everything they could lay their hands on into anything left that was flyable when he put the Pegasus into her suicide dive.

trackstarbuck

[50]Dec 17, 2006
    • level: 10
    *screams wildly* i cant wait until the next one! i might even regain some sort of respect for Dee by the looks of it.

quote12

[51]Dec 17, 2006
    • level: 6
    AceTk wrote:

All in all I feel recently the episdoes have been subpar. What do you guys think?

Yes, this season has seen a run of poor-to-adequate episode, but this one seemed to me to put things back on track. It emphasizes the mysticism on both sides, human and Cyclon, along with the hardware and cgi. Finally, it got to the long-promised moment when helo and Athena find out their daughter is alive, with underplayed but notably different reactions from the two characters. The beautiful Kandyse McClure got to do something other than stand around while the soap opera between her husband and Kara saps energy from the show. And even though sections of the writing were clearly rushed, it slowed down enough to give a cogent reason for Tyrol responding to the pull of the temple, rounding out his character. All in all, 8.7 seems about right, and better days may be ahead.

Mangalore

[52]Dec 18, 2006
    • level: 7
    I nearly couldn't stop laughing at Brother Cabbal's sarcastic "We come in peace" statement

DrLar

[53]Dec 18, 2006
    I think the 5 cylon 'faces' will be revealed after D'Anna gets killed inside the temple or something like that, or maybe the 5 remaining cylons will spawn in the 5 pillars, maybe someone we know is a cylon, hard to guess but at least one should be Baltar...

I still don't get why D'Anna and Baltar left 'Caprica' (that's six's name isn't it?) out of the loop in the death and see faces plot.

DrLar

[54]Dec 18, 2006

***SPOILER***

Edited on 12/18/2006 6:04am

osa420

[55]Dec 18, 2006
    • level: 7
    I think the final 5 cylons don't have a specific look. Unlike the other human looking cylons, they have an idividual look, much like a normal human. Perhaps too much like a normal human. That way, they don't have to have more actors that they have to keep around because you have already determined what a cylon looks like.

Writer2000

[56]Dec 18, 2006

Mangalore wrote:
    I nearly couldn't stop laughing at Brother Cabbal's sarcastic "We come in peace" statement

Yeah, I also thought that part was really funny and it made me laugh too. As always, I loved Roslin in this episode, and I loved Mary's acting when she and Admiral Adama met with the Cylons. That scene was my #1 favorite scene from this episode. All in all, this was a fantastic episode with a great cliffhanger. I can't wait for the next episode.

LizBooth

[57]Dec 18, 2006
    • level: 3

I like this episode, I mean surely one of the marks of a good episode is that it makes people ask questions and speculate about whats to come, reading all of the posts before this one, that seems to be the case!

I like Starbuck too, I think that she is very strong but like someone said, she is also very child like and I take that to be that she has a vulnerability as well as that she is petulent, she is confused but she is working through it. She does confuse me though, just because we have seen time and time again and she said it - not in so many words - that religion is mportant to her, yet she took her 'oath' to Anders - who btw in my opinion is an idiot,  dont care how much you love someone, you dont stand around and let them cheat on you, especially if Lee isnt the first one (although that may have just been meaness as he is frakkin his wife - and wont divorce him but she will stomp all over that Oath?

Lee, I also like Apollo, I have heard people say that they dont like the Lee/Kara relationship as it is affecting their ability to do their jobs. I dont agree with this, were it affecting them doing their jobs, Apollo would have been right there with Anders ready to run off into the Cylon occupied forest to rescue Starbuck, instead he stayed and did his job to hold the line and sent the closest recon team to rescue her as is militarily sound - it just happened to be his wife is all.

Athena and Helo are p****d right now but I think there is a possibility that in time they will understand why Roslyn hid Hera, they may not neccessarily forgive her but they will understand. It woud be cool if they went and got Hera and I have a feeling that that is why Boomer told her. Sharon knows herself and though some may see the reason for Boomer telling was to try and get Athena to defect, I doubt this as she would know that she would find it difficult and she also knows the love for the Galactica family that Sharon has and how much of an influence Adama would be and surely wouldnt risk it. Also the kid is sick and perhaps Boomer may feel that if she were with her mother she would get better.

I dont know they were just a few thoughts

papp_star

[58]Dec 18, 2006
    • level: 5
    ok, so this has probably already been hashed through, but here is my idea concerning the eye itself.

what if the eye is the impending supernova?
    tryol said something like
    "the hevans opened up and the eye was revealed" well, what if the "hevans opening up" is the supernova blast?

it wouldnt have been the first time that an "eye" was a celestial formation

eg. the pulsar that was the eye of the lion.

Libaax

[59]Dec 18, 2006
    • level: 8
    I thought this ep was the best so far this season so many things happened.

Poor Caprica got abandoned by Gaius after everything she did for him.

Kara/Lee i totaly hate now. She is soo playing with him that he is stupid. Anders should let her die alone. She doesnt deserve to be saved. She has become a walking clichè and i loved her before

Adama is stonecold as usuall too bad D'anna wants the eye to much to go for bluff.

What i love this season is how much they have written for Lucy Lawless, i like her alot after the great years of watching Xena. She is the star of the show right now to me,she has taken the part Gaius had when he shined at most.

doucetnp

[60]Dec 18, 2006
    • level: 4
    Very good episode.  It made me feel better that Admiral Adama had no idea that Hera had been hidden from Athena, although I agree that it was imperative that an attempt be made to keep her out of Cylon hands.  I also enjoyed the Starbuck/Lee/Anders/Dee thing as a plot device.  Most of all, I enjoyed watching Adama.  He is still very much the strongest character on the show.

Now, down to business.  Let's not get ahead of ourselves equating the Temple of the Five to the five unseen Cylon models for starters.  I hope they aren't connected because it would be a trite replay of old plot devices and BSG is too good for that.

I was also surprised to see that the episode was rated as low as it was.  It is one of the better episodes of the season thus far; much better than the previous one.