Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "The Eye of Jupiter" (12/15/06 episode) (spoilers)

123home123

[61]Dec 18, 2006
    • level: 55
    According to Ronald Moore, the Temple of Five IS related to the five unseen Cylon models. I don't see why that is cliched. It's part of the larger puzzle. Something as central as the Eye of Jupiter and the Temple of Five wouldn't be thrown in as a random part of the story. It makes sense that it fits in with the developing mythology.

It'll be interesting to see how everything gets sorted out with the Eye and the Temple. They really managed to pack in a lot of simultaneous cliffhangers in this episode: D'Anna and Baltar going to the planet, Adama's threat to "nuke the entire continent," Anders trying to rescue Kara, Lee trying to stop Anders, Dee and Lee facing a crisis in their marriage, Athena and Helo finding out about Hera. Did I leave any out?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Branstrom

[62]Dec 19, 2006
    • level: 6
    No I think that's about it. Well, that squadron of centurions down on the surface getting ready to plow through the puny humans defending the temple, perhaps counts...

spacekicker

[63]Dec 19, 2006
    • level: 5

As a half season ender I thought it was lackluster. It was like a great setup. You had the chamber, the cylons going down to the surface, Apollo and Starbuck, but honestly I didn't feel any peril about them getting off the surface.

Btw, how are the cylons tracking them? Anyone...bueller, bueller

kuma81

[64]Dec 19, 2006
    • level: 1

I couldn't help notice the strong reaction of admiral Adama when he found out the truth about Hera from president Roslin. I didn't expect him to leave the room so suddenly, taking into account that in the past he always had patience to listen to her arguments and explanation. I guess this is a sensitive subject for him, having lost one of his sons.

I wonder how this is going to affect admiral Adama's relationship with president Roslin. Maybe this is an intro for future insight into Adama's past.

blackeyedgurl

[65]Dec 19, 2006
    • level: 7

The cylons aren't tracking them, both the humans and the cylons converged upon this planet at the same time by chance. This is why through the whole episode everyone kept saying that this couldn't be coincidence, instead it had to be something like destiny.

Also: I think the ratings may have been so low because many people had holiday events to attend or were out Christmas shopping. I know I missed the original airing because of this, and while BSG is very very very important, friends and family are moreso. I did watch it at 10 on Sunday and yesterday. So I don't think the ratings are reflective of viewers this week. Then again I think the ratings system is terribly flawed and not an accurate measure of the market anyways.

Edited on 12/19/2006 1:11pm

ElJorro

[66]Dec 19, 2006
    • level: 7
    If it were up to me I would have adama fire the nukes but at the basestars instead.

picjusbro

[67]Dec 19, 2006
    • level: 1
    Does anybody think that Hera will be the final key to Earth. Since she is the first human/cylon hybird she will like be the moses of the colonial peoply and led them to the promise land.

wedgeantilles54

[68]Dec 20, 2006
    • level: 12

while that is an interesting, i doubt it is going to happen in that manner

hera is way to youg to a be a leader in any practical sense, but it is possible that her existance and the revelation of it could set alot of things in motion that could lead to intersting events later on down the road.

RobinHood70

[69]Dec 20, 2006
    • level: 22
    picjusbro wrote:
    Does anybody think that Hera will be the final key to Earth. Since she is the first human/cylon hybird she will like be the moses of the colonial peoply and led them to the promise land.

And speaking of Biblical references, did anybody else think that Baltar looked like Jesus Christ in some of his scenes? It wasn't really a strong impression, so it could just've been my imagination, but it sorta struck me in a few places when we first saw him on-board Galactica. Then there was one scene later where they were talking about the Gods or something (sorry, can't remember exactly what it was off-hand) and it really made me wonder if it might've been intentional.

wedgeantilles54

[70]Dec 21, 2006
    considering some of the other cutral and historical references that have been done over the course of the show so far it is possible.

MichaudMR

[71]Dec 21, 2006
    • level: 17
    I just don't see it, Judas maybe, but not Jesus Christ

gcswift2

[72]Dec 21, 2006
    • level: 9

MichaudMR wrote:
    I just don't see it, Judas maybe, but not Jesus Christ

Um, How can you tell the difference going by their physical appearance. I think the person was referring to Balthar's posture and stature, not just his physical appearance.

MichaudMR

[73]Dec 22, 2006
    I totally agree with you in terms of what we can observe in some of the scenes. What I was commenting on was more along the lines of his role as the betrayer who will do anything, hurt anyone, in order to save his own skin. Quite the opposite of our image of the Christ.

RobinHood70

[74]Dec 22, 2006
    • level: 22
    You're right that in terms of personality, from our point of view, he'd be anything but Jesus. But what about the Cylons' point of view?

I just re-watched the episode, and here was what triggered the impression for me (though not as strongly this time around, interestingly enough):

Strictly in terms of physical appearance, which is what I was mostly commenting on originally, I see it the most near the beginning of the episode, when Baltar is wandering near the crib...he's got a white robe, he's not wearing his glasses, he's got shoulder length hair, and a fairly full moustache & beard (albeit, not as long as Jesus' is typically depicted). Physically, he has a similar image when he's on Galactica as well, minus the white robe.

Just based on that, I figured maybe it was just a quirk of my imagination, but then later, the Cylon...I dunno the proper name/title for her...the possibly-prescient woman controlling the base ship...keeps looking at Baltar and referring to "the chosen one". That was when I kinda went..."hmmm, maybe it wasn't just my imagination". The physical image is actually a little weaker at this point, though, since he's wearing his glasses and his beard actually seems to have thinned out a bit (I'll just assume he shaved within the context of the story, though outside the story it could just be that this scene was shot first ).

I'm actually Pagan, and my knowledge of Christ is limited to the basic stuff that most North Americans probably know. I'd be curious to hear what the more knowledgeable Christians out there think...particularly if there are any other similarities that I might not have picked up on.
    Edited on 12/22/2006 9:43pm

gcswift2

[75]Dec 22, 2006
    • level: 9

MichaudMR wrote:
    I totally agree with you in terms of what we can observe in some of the scenes. What I was commenting on was more along the lines of his role as the betrayer who will do anything, hurt anyone, in order to save his own skin. Quite the opposite of our image of the Christ.

Judas didn't betray Jesus to save his own skin. He betrayed him for money. 30 pieces of silver matt26:15. This is all predicated on the idea that judas actually betrayed jesus.  Jesus prophesised his own betrayal Mark 14:18. He knew who his betrayer was and  even gave reason for his betrayal Matt 26:56. I say all this to say how can you condemn a man for doing what he is destined to do? If you take the time to read your scriptures you would see that Judas was doing what God needed him to do in order for the prophesy to be fufilled.

MichaudMR

[76]Dec 23, 2006
    gcswift2 wrote:

Judas didn't betray Jesus to save his own skin. He betrayed him for money. 30 pieces of silver matt26:15. This is all predicated on the idea that judas actually betrayed jesus.  Jesus prophesised his own betrayal Mark 14:18. He knew who his betrayer was and  even gave reason for his betrayal Matt 26:56. I say all this to say how can you condemn a man for doing what he is destined to do? If you take the time to read your scriptures you would see that Judas was doing what God needed him to do in order for the prophesy to be fufilled.

Agreed - The analogy falls down at the motivations of Judas vs Baltar. But interestingly the idea that "this has all happened before and will happen again" does have its parallels.  I suppose our line of logic could include the debate between the Deist and the Predestination approach to comprehending the nature of God (or the Gods), but I submit at some point to the possible risk that we're "over-thinking" the whole issue (the hallmark of a good debate IMO ).

The way I see it:  In some scenes Baltar has the "look" of our perception of a character from Biblical times. His role as the betrayor of Humanity aligns him more with Judas than Jesus.  Either way, he's acting as an agent of destiny, this does not necessarily make him evil, more tragic I should think.

Edited on 12/23/2006 6:23am

Helostwin

[77]Dec 25, 2006
    My thoughts exactly.Since Lee knew the Pegasus was on a one way suicide mission to help Galactica he probably didn't only leave all his Vipers behind, he probably also stripped the ship of anything useful-- ammunition, the reserve medical supplies mentioned ect. There would have been more than enough room on the civilian ships to put the stuff.Which leads to an interesting question: Most of the fleet jumped with the 2 battlestars when the Cylons appeared over New Caprica. Were there enough ships on the ground to get tens of thousands of people off the planet? Or did a lot of people get left behind for lack of room? Along with an enormous ammount of equipment & supplies [trucks, tents ect]. It never fails to amaze me how much stuff they abandon but they always seem to have more!  

wedgeantilles54

[78]Dec 29, 2006

there where several ships still on the planet when the fleet jumped away so it can be asumed they packed everyone into them to the point that they where overcrowed and jumped away and once they rejoined the fleet they shuffled them around as needed and in some cases put them up on board galactica till they could find space for them elsewhere

as for your point about euipemnet and such on the pegaus it makes alot of sense and they probably unlaoded every thing but the minum amount of ammo for the pegasus's guns, the would have had plenty of room on the ships that where with the pegasus for it all.

123home123

[79]Jan 20, 2007
    • level: 55
    In case anyone still hasn't seen this episode, it is now available for free as a streaming video on the official Sci Fi website. Unfortunately I think the video is only available to U.S. residents.

cherrybloosom89

[80]Jan 21, 2007
    • level: 5
    Is it just me or is anyone else freaked out by Tyrol's ability to find the temple. I am really getting the feeling that he is an important part of the plotl. Maybe he's one of the five unknown cylons or he just might be a prophet of some sort. If he is a cylon I belived he is an advanced version of the models in existence-so advanced he's pretty much human.