Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "The Hub" (U.S. air date 6/6/08) (spoilers)

How would you rate this episode?

123home123

[1]Jun 3, 2008
    • level: 55
    The next episode, "The Hub," airs 3 days from now. It will air first in the U.S., not in the U.K., so no need to worry about the spoiler policy affecting U.K. fans. This will be the penultimate (2nd to last) episode this spring so there could be some astonishing plot developments. Prepare for a wild end to the first half of the season.

As always, avoid posting any significant spoilers until after the episode airs on the Sci Fi Channel this Friday (10-11 pm ET).
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tripping82

[2]Jun 4, 2008
    • level: 14
    Can't wait!

copygeek

[3]Jun 4, 2008
    • level: 13

YAY!! Can't wait for it to air. I'm really looking forward to
    ***SPOILER***

PS. I put spoiler tags around my comments since I posted them before the episode aired. I'm not sure if spoilers are allowed here before the episode, but I wanted to make sure I was polite.

tripping82

[4]Jun 6, 2008
    Ok I just watched the scifi.com's 10 minute preview and I have to say it was very interesting. Minor
    ***SPOILER***
    . Biggerish
    ***SPOILER***

parallax207

[5]Jun 6, 2008
    • level: 15
    I never liked Roslin, this episode just makes me hate her more.

Idbeolderifiwas

[6]Jun 6, 2008
    • level: 20
    Wow, I can't believe Baltar admitted that he was responsible for the destruction of mankind. And to Roslin of all people. geez.

The space battles were fantastic and the Hub being destroyed was a great Visual effect. The Cylons and Humans are finally on equal ground. It's great to see D'anna again, as well as seeing Cavil get what he deserved I really hate that we have to wait yet again to find out who the fifth is, even if it is for just one more week. (I reaaaaalllly hope they don't make us wait until 2009 to find out who it is)

Canada_Champ

[7]Jun 6, 2008
    I LOVED Baltar talking to the robot Cylon. It was just so tongue-in-cheek!

MajLorne

[8]Jun 6, 2008
    • level: 21
    I agree the battle sequence was fantastic sprinkled in with a little humor of Baltar talking to a Centurion and comparing it to a dog and the Centurion tilting its head in a 'wth' 'expression'.
    Also I think the execs knew Sci-fi was going to spoil the scene with Roslin and 3. So thank god it isn't Roslin as the 5th Cylon or at least we won't find out yet.

danharr

[9]Jun 6, 2008
    • level: 45
    Great episode loved the action and Rosalyns moral dilemmas it was done quite well between space time during the jumps. I'm glad Balthar is staying around for a little longer and I liked his admission giving us the conflict for Rosalyn. Should've known that the final cyclon wouldn't have been revealed so easily but man was it funny Diana's joke at Rosalyn's expense.

zukiki

[10]Jun 6, 2008
    • level: 10

Every episode Jane Espenson writes is better that the one before it, yet she doesn't quite seem up to par for the show (in my opinion). I have no real complaints from the episode, which is a pretty big step in the right direction based on how alot of this season had seemed to be shaping up. I liked the inbetween jumps scenes, at least in the beginning; it's ultimate resolution to help save Baltars life, which while crutial to the themes of the show, felt a bit forced.

I also found certain character seemed to be a bit...off, and not quite themselves. I didn't hate it, but it was noticable. Overall I think I'm still on the fence with this episode, and it's gonna have to sink in some more before I can decided if I liked it or not.

Oh and was Leoben in this episode at all? I saw his name in the credits, but I don't remeber seeing him. Maybe it'll end up in a deleted scene.

antilifecu

[11]Jun 6, 2008
    • level: 6
    D'anna pulling Madame president's leg was a good installment, but as soon as D'anna entered the room where Roselyn and Baltar were I knew Roselyn was not one of the final five since D'anna worried so much for Baltar condition. Something tells me that Baltar is one of the final five due to D'anna's concern when she saw him.
    Edited on 06/06/2008 8:22pm

Zillajay23

[12]Jun 6, 2008
    • level: 7
    Whether or not you like Roslin or not I think most can agree Mary Mcdonnell deserves a lot of praise and probably even an Emmy nod for her performance in this episode.

tribalchic

[13]Jun 6, 2008
    • level: 17

this was a fantastic episode.

I really wasn't a fan of last weeks but it did setup the reunion between Roslin & Adama very nicely.I also liked the fact that this episode wasn't taking itself to seriously even though the grim storyline could have definetely called for it to be.Those moments definetly helped to lighten the atmosphere expecially, Roslin and Baltars 20 questions game they had going with the hybrid and Baltars little talk with the centurian.

But then OMG, I couldn't believe she got the confession out of him that easily expecially after all the past attemps for the truth(torture,airlock threats,ect) all it took this time was a little morphine lol!....... After he said that I was waiting for Roslin to go postal on his a**, and she almost did thank god Elosha was there.

The only thing that bothered me about this episode was the absence of Leoben expecially, when they were briefing all the pilots for the attack his model was mysteriously absent (i guess Rennie couldn't make it).

Vincent2013

[14]Jun 6, 2008
    Talk about funny
    Roslin: Okay open the door
    Hybrid: Jump!
    Roslin: Ju- Ugh!

I loved it but next week will the best of all and I know for a fact everyone will love it

Invader_of_53

[15]Jun 7, 2008

tribalchic wrote:
    The only thing that bothered me about this episode was the absence of Leoben expecially, when they were briefing all the pilots for the attack his model was mysteriously absent (i guess Rennie couldn't make it).

Rennie is actually credited, so I highly suspect whatever scene(s) he was in got the cutting room floor treatment.

I loved the episode. Roslin's odd visions adding another layer of mystery, and Baltar trying to talk to the Centurion and the Hybrid were hilarious. It's nice to see that akward part of Baltar shine back in the show a little. Obviously the highlight was the moment between he and Roslin. It was rivititing to see her so full of concern for Baltar, especially given his confession. The pivitol thing about that scene it that both are washing away so much of the dirt in their souls: Baltar has lost so much selfishness for his own concern while Roslin, even in the face of this, the thing she held against Baltar and the reason for her distrust and suspicion, seems to have reached a level of forgiveness.

The space battle wasn't bad, either. And it was nice to know that SciFi hadn't given up a major plot point of revealing Roslin as a Cylon. It scared the unholy Hell out of me when I saw that advert the week before because I thought that after the huge flaming flare of a spoiler they sent out for the previews of "The Ties That Bind" I really didn't put it past them to reveal the last Cylon. They should still be more careful, though.

By the way, anyone else think of Jesus's side being pierced during his crucifixion when seeing Gaius bleeding out his side?

Edited on 06/07/2008 12:16am

sheli20

[16]Jun 7, 2008
    • level: 8
    Vincent2013 wrote:
    Talk about funny Roslin: Okay open the door Hybrid: Jump! Roslin: Ju- Ugh! I loved it but next week will the best of all and I know for a fact everyone will love it
    How can you know for a fact that everyone will love it?? lol
    Edited on 06/07/2008 1:04am

stefincognito

[17]Jun 7, 2008
    • level: 1
    Definitely a revealing episode, especially after all the build up from last week... I think this was the "fix" that everyone has been waiting for.

It is interesting how the plot line for Baltar is really very much starting to resemble the Christian Bible... and Jesus; The wound in his side and how he talked about the flood that destroyed nearly all of mankind.

Im not a fan of Christianity... so I hope that this show doesn't end with him being "Jesus," but the connection is nevertheless intriguing.

Also, did anyone find it a tad perplexing that Athena someone was worked into the episode through another 8? I personally thought Helo would have had a little more "WTF??" about it, but he rather just slipped right into husband mode.

On the note of the 8s... since Boomer was on the hub, does that mean that boomer is... dead? I don't imagine she would have such quiet ending for the magnitude of her character, but its possible.

It was especially amusing how Cavil referred to her as his pet 8. I personally think she is such an idiot for betraying her sisters, especially after helping Caprica 6 spearhead the attempt to form peace with the humans.

I think it was a collective gasp when D'anna totally screwed with President Roslin... I personally was like... HOW COULD THEY DO THAT??? Then laughed.

The 6's space suit was also quite stylish , I did miss Leoben though... its sad that his scenes were cut.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am ticked that SciFi is chopping the season into 2 parts... after making us wait for so long to see season 4 they are going to make us wait until 2009??? I will wait, of course... but does anyone else see that as a cheap shot? I could see Fall... but 2009?? Pft.

123home123

[18]Jun 7, 2008
    • level: 55
    I saw this episode when I was really tired (again). I thought maybe I'll give it a quick look and then go to sleep and watch it again tomorrow (Sat.) more carefully. The story pulled me in so much that I concentrated on the episode.

Strange to say it but this was actually an uplifting episode. BSG does many things well but it's not always the most inspirational or optimistic show. This time, we found at least a temporary glimmer of hope with Roslin and Adama finding each other at the end. At least for now, something has gone right. And it wasn't the sometimes tawdry love triangle (or quadrangle) of Kara and others. It was a nice, old fashioned "consummation," accomplished with just a hug and Adama kissing Roslin on the forehead. Maybe next week half the crew ends up getting killed. But at this point, two tired, lonely people found their true partners. Nicely done.

I've really enjoyed the spiritual episodes with Roslin this season, "Faith" being another excellent look at that journey. At the same time, the relationship between Roslin and Adama has developed especially over the last two episodes. We've seen relationships before on the show. Kara's and Baltar's flings are usually based on animal lust. Athena and Helo's relationship had more of a basis in love but there is usually an imminent crisis going on around those two. The final scene between Roslin and Adama was so serene and peaceful, which was a good way to play it.

Baltar's scenes were hilarious for the most part. Jane Espenson usually tries to add some humor to her scripts. I think this time she was more successful than in one of her early episodes for the show. I liked when he was trying to chat with the Centurion about being a slave, and when he tried to tell the Hybrid to stop jumping.

I'll have to watch the episode again during the day on Saturday. I thought Leoben was in there but maybe not. Was that actually Kara in the sickbay scene? They never showed her for long so I was wondering if they used a double for her. She didn't appear in any other scenes in the episode so maybe they gave Katee Sackhoff the week off.

Interesting to see Priestess Elosha again. With these dream sequences, we might see some other old characters return in the final 11 episodes. Maybe Zak Adama or Kendra Shaw. Or maybe characters we've only heard about like Joseph Adama. (That could also be a way to help kick off the Caprica TV movie and possible series.)

With the destruction of the hub, the Cylons can no longer resurrect. We already saw them acting differently. They can no longer be so cavalier about their individual safety. D'Anna is keeping her information to herself to insure her protection. Boomer ran out of the resurrection chamber after D'Anna killed Cavil.

There's a lot to like about this episode. I can't find any significant flaws. Great episode and good lead-in to the final episode of this spring.
    Edited on 06/07/2008 1:51am

simulacra-

[19]Jun 7, 2008
    • level: 5

I'd say that when the centurion tilted it's head it was a sign of listening, just like, well, dogs. Baltars tale about the dog wasn't all that wrong in context or meaning.

And I'm not gonna be surprised to see that cavil managed to resurrect somewhere before the hub blew up, remember that there are more places than the hub and the resurrection ships that have pods, and theres probably a lot of cavils left.

Edited on 06/07/2008 5:44am

h00plah

[20]Jun 7, 2008
    • level: 10

I really thought that this week's episode "the hub" was possibly the best episode of the season. It wasn't boring at all, had a space battle scene, and most of all: it had a lot of captivating drama and suspense.

I enjoyed seeing that character return (I still can't remember her name). It was a good concept of her representing Roslins concious. But what didn't really make sense, is why these "visions" only took place when the base star kept jumping. Anyway, we'll have to find out in a later episode.

The cylons and humans team up to extract D'ianna from the hub, and destroy the hub. She knows the identities of the final five, and they know the way back to earth. They successfully do so, both extract her and destroy the hub. This was a very suspenseful couple of moments for me, one of my favorite scenes from the episode.

Baltar talks about a dog, to a centurion. The responses that the centurion gives are quite bizarre and they resemble ones that a dog would give if it was concentrated or confused about a topic.

Roslin had the choice to either kill Baltar or stop the bleeding. When she found out that it was his fault for the fall of Caprica, she decided he didn't deserve to live any longer. But she finally came to reason, and decided to allow him to live. I believe that she will not keep this information to herself and Roslin may convict Baltar of crimes towards humanity (here we go again).

Anyway, spectacular episode. I can't wait to see next weeks episode, and I dread the fact that a six month or more break is upon us. I hope the show keeps going in the direction it's going in right now.