Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "The Hub" (U.S. air date 6/6/08) (spoilers)

How would you rate this episode?

sheli20

[41]Jun 7, 2008
    • level: 8

Did anyone understand the stuff Adama was reading to Dying Roslin?:

"Then I dug into the stump
    and pulled rocks from the ground until my fingers bled
    I collected seeds from a few fruits the other'd offered
    and planted them in long straight furrows.
    like the ranks of soldiers.
    When I finished, I looked at what I've done.
    I did not see a garden
    I saw a star(?)
    The cylon had saved my life
    And I had done it no service
    ."

I doubt that was actually in the book that Adama was reading to Roslin outside the vision

Edited on 06/07/2008 11:38pm
    Edited 5 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ISpeakTheTruth

[42]Jun 7, 2008
    • level: 33

/\ Actually Adama said 'I saw Scar' Do we all remember Scar? He was the Raider that shot down over a dozen raptors after the destruction of the resurection ship a season or so ago. Maybe he didn't die when he was shot? Maybe he's going to come back latter for some reason? I'm interested.

Anyway let's talk about the episode...Wow. Baltar was great in this episode like always I especially loved his convo with the hybrid about her jumping away. "Hey hey you, stop jumping the ship." All while pointing at her LOL. And am I the only one who is seeing that all these 'inner' people that several characters are seeing (Baltar, Six, And now Roslin) May the people they're seeing be God? I think maybe. I did love how at in the end Roslin saved Baltar I was so worried taht he was going to die like that but then she saved him and with a worried tone of voice that I found very touching.

And awww Adama/Rosilin shippers are happy now aren't they? Best quote of the episode "I love you." "Its about time."

Edited on 06/07/2008 10:12pm
    Edited 2 total times.

mialza

[43]Jun 8, 2008
    • level: 14

Best episode since Exodus Part Two. I don't think there was a single thing wrong with this episode. The best parts were when D'Anna said she would "make it count" as she killed Cavil, and Adama's line after Roslin professed her love was perfect.

Someone asked about whether or not Boomer died in the blast, but I think she survived. She had plenty of time to get to a Raider after D'Anna killed Cavil. I think she will end up back in the fleet seeing as her model is now notorious for switching side, and they need to reexamine the Tyrol-Boomer story. The only thing I found unsettling in the episode was how easily Athena was replaced by another Eight. I like the idea that she was somewhat unique, but if they can all share her experiances it makes everything that she had done to this point seem trivial.

It's great to see the triumphant return of Roslin's humanity. She has come off as overly cold in the past season, and all it took to snap her out of it was The Ghost of Christmas Past(Elosha). One part of her story that left me a little uneasy was how Helo compromised his morals to follow her orders to bypass the deal with the Cylons and bring D'Anna directly to her. Helo has been know for his unwavering desire to always follow his orders and morals, but this is one of the few times that they have conflicted. When the Colonials were about to release the Cylon virus, Helo took the moral high ground and stopped it, disregarding his military training. This time when confronted with a moral dilemma he caved in. I hope this is not an indication for where he is going.

As for what Adama was reading in the vision, I think he said "I saw A scar" not the deceased Raider. What I think the entire thing means it that Roslin is taking the remainder of humanity and is trying to start a new civilization, or is planting the seeds from the fruit. Once she stepped back to see what she had done she did not see the garden, or bright future, she hoped for, but a scar, or bleak future. The reason for the unhappy ending was her sacrificing humanities honer and her own conscious to double cross the Cylons that helped her. A second meaning for the final two line could be her turning her back on Athena for killing Natalie even though the blood from her fetus saver Roslin's life.

MrBovineOrdure

[44]Jun 8, 2008
    • level: 6

I believe it was

and I saw a scar

This Island saved my life

and I had done it no service.

Adama seems to like "Old man of the sea" type books.

Mr BO

sheli20

[45]Jun 8, 2008
    MrBovineOrdure wrote:

I believe it was

and I saw a scar

This Island saved my life

and I had done it no service.

Adama seems to like "Old man of the sea" type books.

Mr BO

Yeah you might be right. he might have said "this island" and not "the cylon"... it certainly makes more sense that it would be "island" lol.

sheli20

[46]Jun 8, 2008
    mialza wrote:

As for what Adama was reading in the vision, I think he said "I saw A scar" not the deceased Raider. What I think the entire thing means it that Roslin is taking the remainder of humanity and is trying to start a new civilization, or is planting the seeds from the fruit. Once she stepped back to see what she had done she did not see the garden, or bright future, she hoped for, but a scar, or bleak future. The reason for the unhappy ending was her sacrificing humanities honer and her own conscious to double cross the Cylons that helped her. A second meaning for the final two line could be her turning her back on Athena for killing Natalie even though the blood from her fetus saver Roslin's life.

your explanation about what Adama was reading makes sense. even more so after MrBovineOrdure's correction of the text.
    Edited on 06/08/2008 6:00am

hazelnut144

[47]Jun 8, 2008
    Originally I thought he said "the cylon" as well, but rewatching, I think that you are right and it is "this island"

As for the head people? Well remember that Kara had a head Leoban as well. And I also think that in one of the podcasts, RDM said that for a little while they considered having Kara come back as a "head Kara" in Lee's head. Now THAT would have been interesting. Although I much prefer Kara actually being back. And from the sounds of it, they ARE going to explain the head people at some point.

AprilFox

[48]Jun 8, 2008
    • level: 109
    Another brilliant episode that had me crying, laughing, holding my breath, the anticipation was unbelievable. I loved every minute of it. Mary McDonnell (Roslin) gives an EMMY worthy performance (which in my opinion she has done throughout the series) and James Callis (Baltar) an EMMY worthy performance (which dadada same as above). Excellent episode.

mialza

[49]Jun 8, 2008
    • level: 14
    I've only seen the episode once, and I thought it was "A Cylon", but I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again. "The Island" makes more sense with the rest of what was read anyway. The Island could be the Galactica and all of the people on board who have helped her, both physically with cancer treatment and those who emotionally proped her up. By saying she gave back "nothing in return" it goes along with Elosha's warning of how she refused to love anyone and became such a cold and uncaring(on a personal level not the fate of humanity level) person. It serves as a warning to change her ways or else a dark future will descend. In my last post I jokingly called Elosha the Ghost of Christmas Past, but I guess it was a good comparison after all.

ISpeakTheTruth

[50]Jun 8, 2008
    • level: 33
    Someone needs to tell Adama to pronounciate his words better to avoid situations like this one.

GavinGibbons

[51]Jun 8, 2008
    • level: 29
    Canada_Champ wrote:
    I LOVED Baltar talking to the robot Cylon. It was just so tongue-in-cheek!
    I was laughing at that too, and the bit when D'anna told roslin she was the final cylon (and the dramatic music kicked in) then she was like "im joking"

MrBovineOrdure

[52]Jun 8, 2008

Oddly, I got "This Island" right off the bat. (Yamaha amplifier with a set of Paradigm European monitor speakers)

Though I don't have the whole dialogue, it was about a man on an island, which must have provided sustenance in other ways, making his own way by planting seeds in a furrow, thus what he saw as a scar. Then seeing his efforts at self-sustainment as a betrayal of the island. (I've been watching LOST too much!)

Someone with the subtitle mode on needs to transcribe this one, but as I said. seems like a completely sensible thing for a ship's Admiral to be interested in.

Mr BO

Edited on 06/08/2008 4:49pm

24Titan

[53]Jun 8, 2008
    • level: 13

This week was pretty good and showed a decent level of consistency, something that has been a little off-kilter this season. We have absolutely stunning episodes like "Faith" and "Guess What's Coming to Dinner", but then we also have duds like "The Road Less Travelled" and "Sine Qua Non". But this week had great parts, good parts, and some not-so-good parts.

I'll start with the great parts. The space battle was absolutely outstanding. The SFX team continually delivers on Galactica, and it's no wonder that this show has won the Emmy for SFX for two years in a row. Special kudos also go to Bear McCreary for the very unique Hub theme. I loved how it was a much quieter battle theme. We have "Prelude to War" and "Storming New Caprica", both of which are stellar battle cues. But the Hub theme was much more subdued and it was very cool.

And, for her third episode in a row, Mary McDonnell delivers an Emmy-worthy performance. She was amazing this week, especially when she learned what Baltar had done. Her simmering rage and horror were perfectly conveyed. Also excellently conveyed was her conversion when she saved Baltar (which is what I'm getting to next).

I'm probably alone in this opinion, but I think that they should have killed Baltar. First off, BSG needs to kill a main cast member. I mean, a main cast member. Not Cally or Billy, but someone like Lee or Starbuck. Secondly, what kinda sicko rationalizes the genocide of the human race? He was rewarded for being an accessory to the annihilation of a culture? God made him perfect? NO! Gaius Baltar is far less than perfect. I liked the direction they were taking Baltar in the premiere, but he has again been lost among the convolution of himself. Last season, he became so full of himself that I couldn't stand him. It appeared (at first) that that would change this season. But it hasn't. (Also, didn't dig the Centurion pep talk. We're in the middle of an epic battle, and we're hearing about a dog?)

Also of note (in a bad way) are the really annoying pilots. "Whine, whine, whine, blah, blah, blah, **** **** ****" is all they know how to do. They complain about every single thing they have to do, and it's like "Shut the frak up!" I was glad when Eight told them off.

It was nice to see Elosha in the episode, and it was also fun to see Roslin try to decode what the Hybrid was saying. But it's always awesome whenever the Hybrid is onscreen. Overall, I give this episode a 9.5/10. It's got some semi-clunky parts, but the great outweighs the bad.

And did people actually think that Roslin was a Cylon? Oh, yeah. Cause we're gonna find out that easy.

copygeek

[54]Jun 8, 2008

Let me start by saying I love Baltar, so I really don't want to see him die.

I'd rather see him redeem himself or, if he has to die, go out in a humanity saving blaze of glory. However, when I was watching the scene where he's pleading for his life while all his blood is pouring out of his side I thought to myself that this would be a good place for Baltar to die. While other characters have had noteworthy death scenes, it would be interesting to see the most flamboyant character in the show have the most uneventful death scene.

ebony_kunoichi

[55]Jun 9, 2008

OMG this episode ROCKED MY SOCKS OFF!!

I loved that Roslin had visions. We got to see her inner thoughts and fears. I think she fears dying unloved and alone or not loving someone else. I kinda felt that Roslin was lonely and isolated all these years trying to be all things to everyone.

During her visions of her in bed dying we saw Lee, Starbuck, and Adama. It was no shock seeing Adama at her mental bedside, but Starbuck and Lee was a shock. Especially Lee. I think that shows that despite how much a jerk Lee is she still has a fondness for him since he defended her in the beginning of the series.

Does anyone else bow down to the greatness of the Hybrid?? She talks in riddles, she is prophetic, she is mysterious, she is covered in goo with a strange cap on her head. I think she is great.

The battle scenes were just beautiful. Very nice.

O.K. I hated the Sharons and Helo before, but now it's just getting weird. I like how Roslin checked Helo and told him he is not married to all the 8's! I had an uh oh moment too and I think that 8 is trying to steal Athena's man! Talk about the irony! I thought what would I do if there were many copies of my man? First, I would run and hide then I would possibly ditch the old one for the new one if I saw that the new one was a better model.

You know for the past couple of weeks I have hated Baltar and his religion crap, but he was back to his odd, quirky self. The funny conversation with the Centurion was so frakking funny. Baltar confessing so easily made me see him as human and for once I had some sympathy for him. I really didnt think he felt bad for giving over the codes. I think he just wanted to confess finally to someone. When he did confess i wanted Roslin to let him die and when she took away his bandages I yelled in delight. Roslin is a bad b****! Roslin is my new hero.

And yes, as a Adama/Roslin shipper I am happy to finally see those two get together. Just too sweet for words at the end.

nottynotme

[56]Jun 9, 2008
    • level: 3
    I was thinking about the pilot also this week, also in other weeks I have noticed the supporting cast interject comments about the dealings with the cylons. I think the directors are getiing it pretty right. The actors are displaying anger,mistrust about the cylons. Who wouldn't. They wiped out their whole civilization,they surely all lost many friends and relatives, we are at constant war with them. And then they are asked to work with essentially the cylon TRAITORS. I believe there would be even more vocal anger between the groups and probably more violence. It is only with military restraint that they are working together as good as they are.
    Edited on 06/09/2008 6:44am

kanniballl

[57]Jun 9, 2008
    • level: 18
    24Titan wrote:

Secondly, what kinda sicko rationalizes the genocide of the human race? He was rewarded for being an accessory to the annihilation of a culture? God made him perfect? NO! Gaius Baltar is far less than perfect. I liked the direction they were taking Baltar in the premiere, but he has again been lost among the convolution of himself.

Well for starters we've seen Gaius rationalize various things so he doesn't feel guilty. The guy has been through a lot so it's understandable he isn't the most sane person in the galaxy.

But the whole god-thing probably pushed him over the edge. I'm not saying he's right (or even sane) but from a viewer's perspective his self-delusion isn't hard to grasp.

Head-Six has convinced him that he's an agent of god (or what-ever), that everything he does (or Head-Six suggests he does) is part of god's larger plan and will. Meanwhile they've convinced him that they are not hallucinations via various insights he could not have access to so he's convinced he's really talking to agents of his god.

So if everything he's doing is part of his god's plan, and god willed the destruction of the colonies, then he can probably authentically believe that it is out of his hands. I'm not saying he's right, but he's been mind-fraked so thoroughly by Head-Six and his grief that it's not hard to believe that he really believes.

Edited on 06/09/2008 6:42am

MrBovineOrdure

[58]Jun 9, 2008

Interesting contrast between the Head-six and Elosha. I sort of feel that they originate from the same thing, that is they're the God's method of communications.

Head six convinces Baltar that he's touched by God, gets him to convert, gives him the ideas of redemption, which he extended into the idea that "We're all perfect"

Elosha on the other hand says; "I'm not going to say he's done more good than harm..." but also to be very careful when it comes to judgement. I still get the impression that Elosha is well aware that Baltar is a slimy character, but she'd overlook that..

Mr BO

hazelnut144

[59]Jun 9, 2008
    I feel that Leoban also has to be counted in as one of the head people. I'm a little bit iffy on Carolanne though. She COULD be counted as one in some way, I guess it just depends how they are explained in the end.

tribalchic

[60]Jun 9, 2008
    • level: 17
    24Titan wrote:

I'm probably alone in this opinion, but I think that they should have killed Baltar. First off, BSG needs to kill a main cast member. I mean, a main cast member. Not Cally or Billy, but someone like Lee or Starbuck. Secondly, what kinda sicko rationalizes the genocide of the human race? He was rewarded for being an accessory to the annihilation of a culture? God made him perfect? NO! Gaius Baltar is far less than perfect. I liked the direction they were taking Baltar in the premiere, but he has again been lost among the convolution of himself. Last season, he became so full of himself that I couldn't stand him. It appeared (at first) that that would change this season. But it hasn't. (Also, didn't dig the Centurion pep talk. We're in the middle of an epic battle, and we're hearing about a dog?)

why does someone need to die(yet)?

Sure towards the very end there might be a few casualties but why now when they could continue character development even further?

One thing I love about BSG is that they treasure all of their cast as if each character is irreplaceable, unlike Lost who kills characters no matter how popular when their usefulness has run its corse, or for shock value.

Edited on 06/09/2008 2:09pm