Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "The Oath" (1/30/09) (spoilers)

How would you rate this episode?

123home123

[1]Jan 25, 2009
    • level: 55
    Gaeta and Zarek act on their extreme differences of opinion with Adama and his plan to cooperate with the Cylons. It looks like there will be quite a bit of action in this episode. I'll add the poll after the episode airs on the Sci Fi Channel this Friday.

This half-season is really starting to zoom by. After this episode, we only have seven more. I think there will only be 10 regular episodes in Season 4.5 despite the talk about extending the series finale to three parts. At this point, I think ep. 9 and ep. 10 will serve as a two-part series finale. Ronald Moore said that there would probably be an extended version on a future DVD set.
    Edited on 01/30/2009 6:59pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

scififan12921

[2]Jan 25, 2009
    • level: 6
    I can't wait from the preview it looks like Adama chooses his long friendship with Tigh over the fact he's a cylon. Glad to hear about the extended cut-I enjoyed the Pegasus and Unfinished Business ones.

GotalSaiyajin

[3]Jan 27, 2009
    • level: 34
    I really hope this episode will be better than the previous ones.

seantuck

[4]Jan 27, 2009
    • level: 8
    In the preview a bomb is thrown and it scares me that I dont know who is going to be on the receiving end of it.

slowblink

[5]Jan 27, 2009
    • level: 5
    I hope some of the aspects implied up to now begin to get resolved soon.

1. Kara is dead. We saw the corpse. The current custodians of earth, whomever they might be, obviously have the technology to resurrect ANYONE in fairly short order. The current living Kara must be a cylon. Why else the "finding her own corpse" thread?
    2. There is obviously nothing wrong with the reproductive capacity of female "First 7" cylons. It is the males that are "kobbled".
    3. The "final 5" males are obviously fully functioning (tigh fathering a child)

Questions:
    - Earths custodians are obviously nearby. why haven't they showed themselves?

psychickiller

[6]Jan 28, 2009
    • level: 9
    123home123 wrote:
    Gaeta and Zarek act on their extreme differences of opinion with Adama and his plan to cooperate with the Cylons. It looks like there will be quite a bit of action in this episode. I'll add the poll after the episode airs on the Sci Fi Channel this Friday.

This half-season is really starting to zoom by. After this episode, we only have seven more. I think there will only be 10 regular episodes in Season 4.5 despite the talk about extending the series finale to three parts. At this point, I think ep. 9 and ep. 10 will serve as a two-part series finale. Ronald Moore said that there would probably be an extended version on a future DVD set.

Only 10 regular episodes? Bad news.

"The Oath" sounds like it's going to be a blast; literally.

123home123

[7]Jan 29, 2009
    Well, there's also going to be the 2nd BSG TV movie, "The Plan". That should air later in the year.

Kondix

[8]Jan 29, 2009
    • level: 11
    Hmmm... I hope this 10 episodes this season stuff is just a guess... Everything I read was that daybrake would be episodes 10,11 and 12... were the last 2 would be aired one after another...

I hope you are very wrong on this one

123home123

[9]Jan 29, 2009
    Even though there was discussion about a two or three-part finale, that didn't mean 2 or 3 episodes in addition to 10 other episodes. The episode list listed in The Chicago Tribune only mentions 10 episodes. Other articles posted the date of the season finale. If those reports are accurate, then there will only be 10 broadcasts. That means 10 episodes unless the finale is 2 hours long. Those reports came from reliable sources so I think they are accurate.

"Daybreak" Part I is listed as the 9th episode. "Daybreak" Part II should be the 10th episode. I don't think "Daybreak" Part II would be a 2-hr. episode.

So the series finale will be a two-parter, but that just means it will be the 9th and 10th episodes. Ronald Moore wrote enough material for a 3-part finale. It was reported that Sci Fi considered approving a 3rd episode of the finale but it doesn't look like they went ahead with those plans. But Moore said that all the completed footage would appear as an extended version on a future DVD set.

I'm pretty sure that there will only be 10 episodes in Season 4.5 based on all of the public reports (episode lists, date of final episode, Sci Fi Schedulebot). There should be another piece of evidence next week. Soon after Feb. 1, the Sci Fi Schedulebot will include the complete schedule for March. At that time, we can look up the line-up on Friday nights and check how many episodes there will be in March and whether any of those episodes will be 2-hrs. long.

mfirefly10

[10]Jan 29, 2009
    • level: 6
    I hope all of my people survive this episode because it looks like we may lose a few. As much as a mutiny terrifies me, it should be just the thing to get Roslin back on the job...assuming no one blows up her old man .

seantuck

[11]Jan 30, 2009
    This could be the episode where Roslin says "We're coming for you!" in that scary bad ass tone!

BHSWorkstation

[12]Jan 30, 2009
    • level: 4

Blood on the Scales.

I don't think we'll see much more about the "mythology" of BSG. However, this could be the more action-oriented show many have been waiting for. It certainly looks as if there will be numerous lives jeapordized and that some might not make it. Of course there will be a patience-straining cliff-hangar. Considering that next week's episode is called "Blood on the Scales," I'm guessing the fall-out from the mutiny will definitely carry over to next week. I'm guessing that means if Gaeta and Zarek manage to survive this episode, then retribution will likely come next week.

Seems to me that this week will future the mutiny. Next week should deal with the consequences of that. After that it will probably have to switch back to the Cylon conflict - there will only be 6 episodes left. Cavil and his group have to figure prominently in the final part of the season.

Oh, and I think 'seantuck' is making a good call when he writes, "This could be the episode where Roslin says "We're coming for you!" in that scary bad ass tone!" I hadn't thought about it but that makes perfect sense.

ascaffo

[13]Jan 30, 2009
    • level: 23
    seantuck wrote:
    This could be the episode where Roslin says "We're coming for you!" in that scary bad ass tone!
    I hope that doesn't mean that something happens to Adama.

oldsage

[14]Jan 30, 2009
    BHSWorkstation wrote:

Blood on the Scales.

I don't think we'll see much more about the "mythology" of BSG. However, this could be the more action-oriented show many have been waiting for. It certainly looks as if there will be numerous lives jeapordized and that some might not make it. Of course there will be a patience-straining cliff-hangar. Considering that next week's episode is called "Blood on the Scales," I'm guessing the fall-out from the mutiny will definitely carry over to next week. I'm guessing that means if Gaeta and Zarek manage to survive this episode, then retribution will likely come next week.

Seems to me that this week will future the mutiny. Next week should deal with the consequences of that. After that it will probably have to switch back to the Cylon conflict - there will only be 6 episodes left. Cavil and his group have to figure prominently in the final part of the season.

Oh, and I think 'seantuck' is making a good call when he writes, "This could be the episode where Roslin says "We're coming for you!" in that scary bad ass tone!" I hadn't thought about it but that makes perfect sense.

The "scales" in "Blood on the Scales" refers to the scales of justice, as it seems clear the rebellion will be putting the Cylon sympathizers on trial.

seantuck

[15]Jan 30, 2009

This episode was INTENSE! I am still shaking and don't know what to think other than, WOW!

inad1212

[16]Jan 30, 2009
    The preview for Blood on the Scales had that little rere Gaeta saying Tigh is dead. I do not want to beleive it. It can not be right. This episode was great tho. Watching the ship fall into turmiol was nuts. But we can all agree seeing Adama and Tigh kicking ass was straight sweet. Long live Battlestar Galactica.

zukiki

[17]Jan 30, 2009
    • level: 10
    I think I've finally managed to lower my expectations for BSG, and with that said, I enjoyed the episode. That was some quality mindless action and...and well that's it really, I can't think of anything else to say. I can't wait to find out how Adama gets out of this one!

oldsage

[18]Jan 30, 2009

Great episode. As usual.

Nice to see Kara coming out of her depression. I've always been amazed at how this character seems to have four distinct personalities. Crazy painting Kara, Viper pilot/action hero Starbuck. Depressed and alcoholic Kara. Well-groomed, uniform-wearing Captian Thrace. She'a back to Starbuck in this episode. I "woohoo'd" when she kissed Lee.

It's an interesting character flaw in Bill Adama that, when he's worrying about the fleet's feeling towards the alliance, he doesn't even realize his own crew may be feeling the same.

It's also nice to see Laura Roslin come out of her funk. I guess she got her groove back.

What's this "little secret" between Baltar and Gaeta? Does Baltar know about the lists Felix was supplying to Cylons on New Caprica?

zukiki

[19]Jan 30, 2009
    • level: 10
    oldsage wrote:

What's this "little secret" between Baltar and Gaeta? Does Baltar know about the lists Felix was supplying to Cylons on New Caprica?

Correct, during the webisodes they flashed back to the scene when Gaius whispered something into Geata's ear which provoked Geata to stab him with a pen. That was about him knowing that Geata and the Eight were working together.

seantuck

[20]Jan 30, 2009
    oldsage wrote:

Great episode. As usual.

Nice to see Kara coming out of her depression. I've always been amazed at how this character seems to have four distinct personalities. Crazy painting Kara, Viper pilot/action hero Starbuck. Depressed and alcoholic Kara. Well-groomed, uniform-wearing Captian Thrace. She'a back to Starbuck in this episode. I "woohoo'd" when she kissed Lee.

I also "woohoo'd" out loud at that moment. Also when she shot the guy who had the gun pointed at Apollo I proclaimed, "Kill them all!!!"