Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "The Oath" (1/30/09) (spoilers)

How would you rate this episode?

scififan12921

[41]Jan 31, 2009
    • level: 6
    wedgeantilles54 wrote:

I find in interesting that Baltar has yet again changed, and was actaully trying to convince geata to end his muntiy, rahter than trying to cut a deal to save himself. I think it shows that Baltar is either trying to repent for his past sins or is turely appaled by what geata is doing if not both.

I do find it interesting that Adama told tyrol, Lee and starbuck not to stay, but go back the way they had come. Which makes me think that Adama wanted to keep them alive and knew he might need them later.

Also i really wounder how much of the crew that is still alive truely supports geata, i suspect some them don't really know whats going on and are keeping their heads down so that they don't get killed.

With all that said its gona be one Wild Ride next week.

Yeah, I think Lee, Kara and Tyrol are going to spring the others from the brig and organize from within. At this point Gaeta and his gang have no idea they are on Galactica since he doesn't know for sure who is on the raptor. Those are three people that can cause him lots of trouble. Looking forward to it!!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

BHSWorkstation

[42]Jan 31, 2009
    • level: 4

That was a rush of an episode. Great action and emotionally gripping. It was nearly traumatizing to see each of the main characters one by one placed in serious jeopardy. There was a mild attempt to put some meaning with the repeated references to "oaths" but let's face it, this was pure suspense / action episode. That is the other great thing about the show: they aren't afraid to spend several episodes in a row on character development so that when an action episode does come along, anyone who has been watching can immediately identify the reasons for each character's actions. Sit back and enjoy.

I finally enjoyed seeing Kara again. It's been over a season since we've seen her be anything other than mentally unhinged or just a plain B...(hey, my family's from New Jersey so I was taught not to use vulgarisms in public but you get the idea) Certainly seeing your own dead body can put you in a pretty foul mood but when she flipped her food tray at Hot Dog I kept thinking how tired I was of her being able to dish it out but not take it. So it was a great treat to see her finally get back into action and be a hero - I guess she needs danger and righteous anger to get in touch with her better side.

Also nice to see Roslyn back, guess the same goes for her. Along with Apollo, Tigh and the Old Man all back in action, I think the episode worked well for everyone. Definitely one of the better episodes since the "Pegasus" run (by the way, I agree with everyone who noted how brilliantly they work even minor recurring characters back into the story until they end up having a real impact).

By the way, I really doubt the revelation about Tigh in the preview. How many times have they tried that one already?

SWERJ321

[43]Jan 31, 2009
    • level: 19
    DAMN what an awesome episode. I loved the bromance moment between Thigh and Adama at the end. "Gone too far to walk out on you now, Bill." So sad and yet awesome seeing these two proud warriors ready to go out fighting. For Felix, still amazed at him falling this far but sadly makes sense for his character. The talk with Baltar was a highlight. Seriously, when BALTAR is trying to talk sense into you, you're pretty gone. Also loved Starbuck more alive than we've seen since season two, really seeming to get a kick out of all this and making out with Lee. I still dont get Zarek and Gatea's logic of saving humanity by whittling down a population already at 39,000 to even less but that's the key of the story. Also found it interesting Zarek sheds the first blood to remind us all of what he was before the attacks. Cannot wait for next week where it's going to get better.

waz666

[44]Feb 1, 2009
    • level: 3

Great News: Just read the final is a 2 hourer (sci-fri Schedule)...FRAKIN great mate.

PS.. The Oath.. Rocked.... the best. thank BSG staff and crew, love the show

Edited on 02/01/2009 4:02am
    Edited 2 total times.

ThaJAXxer

[45]Feb 1, 2009
    • level: 4
    Great preview aswell! Not now, not ever! I'm coming for ALL of you!!!

ISpeakTheTruth

[46]Feb 1, 2009
    • level: 33
    This was a really great episode and I can't wait for the next one but I'm going to say this after watching the previews... Don't kill Tigh Don't Kill Tigh!

psychickiller

[47]Feb 1, 2009
    • level: 9
    Okay guys, just one of the best BSG episodes ever, hands down. Intense action all over non-stop, just amazing!

This isn't one of those simple rebellion stories, that you know the 'good guys' will win and everything will be set straight. Because nothing can be the way it was before... You kill mutineers. And when those mutineers are all sorts of peope, including recurring-role characters and minor characters. People that have been around since season 1 or season 2. It's hard to imagine just how many of the Galactica crew will remain... There's way too many pilots and marines involved.

Just after last week's episode I wrote how much I miss Kara. I take it back. She rocked my world today

waz666 wrote:

Great News: Just read the final is a 2 hourer (sci-fri Schedule)...FRAKIN great mate.

PS.. The Oath.. Rocked.... the best. thank BSG staff and crew, love the show

Awesome news!
    Edited on 02/01/2009 8:34am
    Edited 2 total times.

Izzytheinsane

[48]Feb 1, 2009
    • level: 7
    I don't get why Adama and Tigh stayed at the end. He said it was to make sure that the raptor took off, but the raptor was long gone before they even started opening the door.

seantuck

[49]Feb 1, 2009
    • level: 8

ThaJAXxer wrote:
    Great preview aswell! Not now, not ever! I'm coming for ALL of you!!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! Roslin is sooooooo bad ass! I would totally be scared if I was on the receiving end of that!

Is it Friday yet??

simulacra-

[50]Feb 1, 2009
    • level: 5
    Because a captain never leaves his ship until everyone is safe...

SWERJ321

[51]Feb 1, 2009
    • level: 19
    Yeah, no way in hell is Adama going to give them the satisfaction of running him off his own ship. He's going to go down fighting all the way to the end. Ditto for Thigh, like he said, he's been through way too much with Adama to leave now, Cylon or not.

martymcflyjb

[52]Feb 1, 2009
    • level: 10

Rockin' episode! Possibly the best of the season and definitely one of the best of the series.

Kara and Roslin snapping out of their funks was great on both counts. I loved it when Starbuck took that first shot at the mutineer. It seemed to take them all aback. And Roslin's speech was great over Baltar's wireless. It shows her strength and wisdom. She knows this Cylon alliance is the only way, as scary and risky as it is.

The whole episode was just intense but had so many great character moments too. (Felix & Gaius, Laura & Gaius, Lee & Kara, Tigh & Adama...)

Can't wait for next week's continuation. I loved Roslin's righteous fury shown in the preview.

claudia40

[53]Feb 1, 2009
    • level: 9
    Thats what I was going to say...I'm at a lost AWESOME episode.....goose bumps, speechless wow ...and WOW A+++

seantuck wrote:

This episode was INTENSE! I am still shaking and don't know what to think other than, WOW!

guyroy1971

[54]Feb 2, 2009
    • level: 12
    Great episode! I understand why they had Adama and Tigh stay. Galactica is the only armed ship and if they run from it chances are they will never get it back. Adama only wantedc to get Rosalyn out of there. Loved that they brught back the Pegasus crew. It looks like they never let bygones be bygones and they all were of Kain's mindset. they were only looking for the chance to revolt and Gaeta gave it to them. Adama said you won't run me from his ship so he will get it back or die trying. I'm looking forward to next episode as to whether Tigh is dead or not. Considering that it seems he can resurrect himself, even if he is dead, he will be back. Aslo, someone asked why don't the rebels consider the final five to be different. I think that is the point, they simply don't. They are cylons and are the enemy and that is that. They may also not know they are 2000 years old since it hasn't been shown that the final four told anyone else that information. It looks like the fleet will be in bad shape because even if Adama wins, many of his crew revolted and they cannot be replaced.

seantuck

[55]Feb 2, 2009
    I have a feeling/hope Gaeta regrets doing what he did. Hopefully he'll see first hand how hard it is to make such life threatening decisions like the Admiral, its easier said than done. I wouldn't want him to be airlocked because that is too easy, how about something much more brutal?? mwhahaha!

slowblink

[56]Feb 2, 2009
    • level: 5
    I think the we will soon discover that the grenade fried both Tigh and Adama. The relevance of Kara's resurrection here is that there is every chance that both will return. Kara wasn't a cylon, and she returned.

It seems pretty clear the mutineers will be overrun and airlocked, lead by the President, Kara and Lee.

S4ki

[57]Feb 2, 2009
    This episode was Epic!
    Maybe the best episode of the series.

ISpeakTheTruth

[58]Feb 2, 2009
    • level: 33
    Something tells me that the soilder Adama had as a hostage for a few minutes will come into play latter. Adama showed him alot of compasion not killing him and I think he will end up backing the team in the end in some big way... since I don't see the point of the writers having him be drug around for several minutes for nothing.

PrestoBoy

[59]Feb 2, 2009
    • level: 13

Best episode of the season!!! Gaeta is really making me angry, turning on Adama like this, it's unforgivable. I can't wait to see someone put a bullet in his head.

Next week looks amazing as well. Roslin's threat..... intense. I can't wait.

Agent_Conundrum

[60]Feb 2, 2009
    • level: 1

ISpeakTheTruth wrote:
    This was a really great episode and I can't wait for the next one but I'm going to say this after watching the previews... Don't kill Tigh Don't Kill Tigh!

Am I the only one who instantly knew where they were going with this? I actually want them to kill Tigh, and for just one main reason: He'll resurrect.

Tigh's death is a very nice segue back to the mystery of the Final Five, Earth, etc. and I, for one, can't wait.

Edited on 02/02/2009 10:14pm