TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "The Ties That Bind" (U.S. air date 4/18/08) (spoilers)

How would you rate this episode?

simulacra-

[61]Apr 19, 2008
    • level: 5
    Am I the only one that doesn't like the fact that like 5 of the main cast are now holed up in a little ship with kara as leader?
    I thought that she'd be alone in that quest, when I first saw Gaeta I was blown away but intrigued, but when almost the entire combat characters of galactica came into view I felt like "come ooon!".

So I guess there wont be any fleet combat until Kara and crew return...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

hazelnut144

[62]Apr 19, 2008
    • level: 8
    Well if you think of it, with Apollo not a pilot anymore, the only main character who would regularly interact with the pilots would be Starbuck anyways. Apart from Athena, and since Helo was going, I kind of assumed she would be too. And Helo's point in assembling the crew was partially to choose people who might actually trust Kara. The only ones who know her well enough are pretty much all pilots. And then, according to Anders, some of them volunteered.

montogma23

[63]Apr 19, 2008
    • level: 6
    Great episode!

Well, i have to say, i loved the adama/roslin reading scene.

The demetrius is a pretty cool looking ship and man what a crew!Man, gaeta looked hot!Kara has finally lost her marbles, can't say that i didn't see that one comming.But it seems to me that the crew is not liking their commander so I have a feeling we'll be seeing a munity at some point in time.

Loved the lee/zarek scenes.I was hoping that we'd get to see those two working together.But man,by watching that quorum meeting we really got to see Roslin in her true colors.
    She thinks of them all as insignificant little bugs that needed to be squashed.I can't believe that she made a play to control the law.That's just wrong on so many levels.Not to mention that she just made an enemy out of lee because there is no way come hell or high water that he will ever allow a person to control the law like that.Roslin is becomming a tyrant.

As for cally, well it was wrong for tory to airlock cally but after cally tried to kill herself and an innocent child she lost all sympathy for me.She did't deserve to be nicky's mother after that.She would have been a danger to her child.Poor cheif, maybe he can be in a relationship with boomer now though.

As for tory, i don't know..I'm starting to think that maybe she's not one of the final five at all and that maybe she's one of the seven siblings who was sent in to infiltrate the final five.I think D'anna beirs might actually be one of final five.

peprmpati

[64]Apr 19, 2008
    • level: 10

Did anyone notice the Star Trek Enterprise number on the paper that Cally found 1701D weapons locker Number, where the met?

Invader_of_53

[65]Apr 19, 2008
    • level: 7

I'm going to make this perfectly curt. Cally's death stole the show, and as it's been mentioned, the other storylines were kind of spread thin and seeing as how hers was a major plotline, I think they should have stuck to she and the Cylon fraction plotlines and let the Lee and Kara stories settle on the sidelines for an episode, or at least cut it down. I really didn't give a damn about Kara's "frak me" scene. It kind of bares the scars of repeat syndrome. Been there, didn't need to do it yet again. So with Cally's demise on my mind like murder, there are three points I feel the need to get out in blunt fashion with little dress:

1)I hate Tory now. Someone needs to put a bullet into that toaster's head. Please! All that prattle about not being inhuman and different and then she just kills Cally.

2)Anyone take note of the tragic poetry of Cally's death? Four of the Final Five were involved in the Circle (a deleted scene showed that Tory was giving them information) that airlocked the "worst of the worst". Tyrol let Jammer get vented even when he brought up how he saved - wait for the twist - Cally. Talk about your sins coming back to bite you in the arse, Chief. And, of course, there's the situation they were in, in "A Day in the Life".

3)Spoiler alert: bollocks to Sci-Fi's adverts! I also caught a glance of a disinformation blurb about Cally killing herself, so I assumed someone would have stepped in to prevent the wicked witch from airlocking her out. I'm sure someone of you are empathetic to my feeling when that moment in said advert was followed promptly by Cally's death. I vow from now on to avoid those like a germ. I'll tape them, and look back on them in retrospect, but I won't look. Afterall, the one attached to the penultimate episode will probably reveal the best moments of the last episode.

So I was a little bothered by the fact that I wasn't as heartbroken over Cally's death as I had anticipated I would be. I mean, I was with Kara getting offed, but that subsided when I came to the conclusion, within hours, that she would return. I don't suppose anything similar to such a fortune awaits Cally. But I do suspect the character will return, either in flashback or to haunt Tyrol. The adverts for next week's episode (yes, I realise what I said at point number 3) implies this. Plus Nicki Clyne posted on her blog that she had "commitments to battlestar", which was dated April 10th, 2008 - well and long after this episode had wrapped. Though, she have been just saying that to throw us dogs off the scent of her character's fate. I certainly hope we see her again. It was pretty disgusting to see her a last time like that, with her face all blue and frozen. I also wasn't fond of how she was so stressed out like that. It didn't seem to have a lot of back-up. As noted by someone else, I wish they had featured her in the previous two episodes, to kind of set things up. Last we saw her, she was fine, now she's a complete wreck. And she mentions to Cottle that she felt that she hadn't slept since the nebula - surely that can't be a a coincidental wording, can it? I can only hold out for the possibility that there's an episode waiting that will give Cally one last hurrah!

For now I'll ponder the possible ramifications of Tory's actions. Hopefully, Tyrol will find out and beat her to death. Or at least give her a well-deserved smacking. Hey, did I mention that I hate Tory now? Because even if I did, it bares repeating.

montogma23 wrote:
    As for tory, i don't know..I'm starting to think that maybe she's not one of the final five at all and that maybe she's one of the seven siblings who was sent in to infiltrate the final five.I think D'anna beirs might actually be one of final five.
    Seriously? Wouldn't Number Three have been a little freaked out when she saw herself in the light of the temple?

Edited on 04/19/2008 6:43am

hazelnut144

[66]Apr 19, 2008
    The thing is with this show, there really isn't any pure "evil" or pure "good". So I don't think Tory is going to go completely evil. I DO believe that she is going to go completely insane, and likely be incredibly creepy, but I don't believe she will ever descend into the bowels of melodramatic evil villains. It would just be a bit too cliche for this show.

krinks

[68]Apr 19, 2008
    trevorvos wrote:

The only thing that points to her maybe being guided by Cylon programming is the preservation of the child. Perhaps she just did it for the Chief, but that is the one thing that leaves it open as to whether or not she is following programming or finding her own path.

I don't think it's the programming. I think that she genuinely knows how important this Nicky is. She would know about the decision to keep Hera a secret from her Cylon mother/Human father. If she knows how important Hera is to the Cylons and humans, it's a small logical step to infer that Nicky is possibly JUST as important to everyone.

On an unrelated note: Did anyone else think Cally looked much hotter with her new hair?

MajLorne

[69]Apr 19, 2008
    • level: 21
    peprmpati wrote:

Did anyone notice the Star Trek Enterprise number on the paper that Cally found 1701D weapons locker Number, where the met?

Interesting, I'll have to rewatch that scene again to see it for myself. Nice heads up btw.

JalineTV

[70]Apr 19, 2008
    • level: 18
    oldsage wrote:

As soon as Tori knew that Cally had discovered they were Cylons, it was pretty much determined that Cally had to die. It would have been impossible for Tori's Cylon programming to let their secret become known and to allow the other Cylon-human hybrid to come to harm.

I agree.

Tori's actions were pretty much for self-preservation. She could've been activated too...who knows. But, I mean, let's be honest. It was going to be Cally dying, or the 4 cylons (Tori, Chief, Anders, and Tigh) being tortured and/or killed. Because, no matter how nice a cylon is to Cally (ie. Boomer's situation, and when Cally hit the Chief), she cannot stand them. She would've outed them, and chaos would've ensued. If their identities became known, everything would be insane on the ship. I'm sure that everyone will come to know who the remaining cylons are by the end of the series (obviously) but they can't do that just yet. I guess we'll be finding out more about Tori this season, which is good. I liked her in the last season, and I think she's really embracing her cylon self compared to the others. It's easier for us to see this anyway, as she had virtually no character development before. Anyway, I didn't care about Cally at all before and found her to be annoying and extremely spiteful when it came to the cylons. I don't blame her too much for those feelings (I mean...their world was destroyed multiple times by cylons), but I hate seeing it all in one episode. And her going crazy in this episode made it more annoying. It's actually very easy for Tori to claim that Cally committed suicide.

The rest of the episode....I'm not too sure about. The dialogue was cheesy (everything Starbuck says now is worse than usual) and there's just something strange about everything. I still think the show is one of the best shows ever, but I hope it starts to pick up now. Especially with the dialogue. Lee's struggles seem boring but they are actually very realistic and reveal how Roslin may not be running things fairly.

I also thought it was weird how Starbuck had a lot of the best people in her crew. I guess Racetrack is still with Adama?

copygeek

[71]Apr 19, 2008
    • level: 13

krinks wrote:
    On an unrelated note: Did anyone else think Cally looked much hotter with her new hair?

I always thought Nicki Clyne looked really cute. She had a girl-next-door sexiness about her. However, for some strange reason, her character was almost always shown in poor lighting and with creepy makeup that made her look alot paler than everyone else. It was like they wanted Cally to look like a drug-addled crack whore! But, every once in awhile they'd show her in good lighting and I thought, "Wow... She's really CUTE!"

I hope she is brought back to the show somehow.

Vincent2013

[72]Apr 19, 2008
    I also thought that Karas scenes were kinda of slow, but I like the crew that she has: Helo, Athena, Anders, Seelix, Geata, someone else I dont know, that should provide some entertainment later on. So did Cavil actually destroy Natalie and the others, I mean they never actually showed their ships blow up completely. I just dont want her to die because she is hot, and I am unusually attracted to her. Good Bye Cally. I wonder if this event is going to be the cause of tyrol to shave his head.

pgsuperfan

[73]Apr 20, 2008
    • level: 25
    peprmpati wrote:

I thought that looked familar

alllstarz

[74]Apr 20, 2008
    • level: 4
    I don't think he destroyed Natalie as the number 6 is the basestar that was attacked had blonde hair but i am not 100% sure.

Myrddin19

[75]Apr 20, 2008

I always have special care avoiding all kinds of trailers and spoilers for this show, so I have to say the end of this episode was a pleasant surprise for me, shocking but pleasant, of course it was logical, Tori was fighting for the self preservation of the 4, though I guess the Chief will be pissed off when he finds out, and he will.

The episode itself was going fairly slow until approaching the end, and then all of a sudden, Cylon civil war and Callie's death brought a rush of adrenaline. I liked the scenes aboard the Demetrius, and the political debate with Lee, I'm afraid Zarek is right, Roslyn needs someone to keep her in check, and Admiral Adama is not up for the job, which is a pity, cause I remember clearly he was at some point, Im afraid he's losing his edge, what with Lee abandoning the military, and Kara out of scene. He and Roslyn are now supporting each other, it seems.

I looooved that last scene with Tori, what can I say, I'm starting to like that b**ch since she's a cylon she has become quite an interesting character, while on the contrary Tigh is melting on the background, now he's only concerned with covering up the fact that he's a cylon. A very good episode, hope they keep up with the good work!

Mangalore

[76]Apr 20, 2008
    It's kind of frightening how many justify or try to justify Cally's murder on various grounds. If a person is so desperate to kill oneself it is a sad affair and this person needs help. If it's a young mother so desparate that she doesn't even sees a hope for her child as well it is tearjerking. Tory murdered Cally in cold blood (evident in her taking care of the child) which is a disgusting twist...

I love it!

The question is how much of it was a Cylon and how much a Human decision to kill to save herself.

chrisi99

[77]Apr 20, 2008
    Is it just my feeling or are they rushing forward now?

Major changes on all frontiers, a "civil war" within the cylons (would have loved a resurrected Lucy Lawless though... ) the search for earth, the tragedy on the Galactica (really shocking ending...)!

Felt a bit squeezed in one EP

crito84

[78]Apr 20, 2008
    They did pack a lot of storylines into one ep. I think there was so much that they wanted to show that it kinda got out of hand.

hazelnut144

[79]Apr 20, 2008
    She's coming back at some point this season. And I think I will wait and be surprised when it happens.

copygeek

[80]Apr 20, 2008
    • level: 13

hazelnut144 wrote:
    She's coming back at some point this season. And I think I will wait and be surprised when it happens.

Which "she" were you referring to? I'm guessing you meant D'Anna?