Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "The Ties That Bind" (U.S. air date 4/18/08) (spoilers)

How would you rate this episode?

hazelnut144

[81]Apr 20, 2008
    • level: 8
    Oh yeah. Sorry about that. I was referring to D'Anna
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

adewusi13

[82]Apr 20, 2008
    • level: 6
    So annoyed that they killed cali.

HeHateMe5

[83]Apr 21, 2008
    • level: 3

It just dawned on me, almost 4 full seasons now and wondered when the Centaurians are going to talk. That was one of the things that was cool about the old show.

Now that they are sentient, do you think they will eventually talk back to the skinjobs?

Makes me wonder if a part of the show is going that route, eventually the toasters take over and rebel wjile spewing orders.

oldsage

[84]Apr 21, 2008
    • level: 9
    HeHateMe5 wrote:

It just dawned on me, almost 4 full seasons now and wondered when the Centaurians are going to talk. That was one of the things that was cool about the old show.

Now that they are sentient, do you think they will eventually talk back to the skinjobs?

Makes me wonder if a part of the show is going that route, eventually the toasters take over and rebel wjile spewing orders.

I was certain we were going to hear a "By your command.." from one of the Centurions this week... ah well.

Idbeolderifiwas

[85]Apr 21, 2008
    • level: 20
    I don't think we'll be hearing "By Your Command" any time soon because they are still bitter about being held back in the first place. You saw the Centurion hesitate until Natalie said "please" so it's clear they aren't going to be following orders blindly anymore.

crito84

[86]Apr 21, 2008
    • level: 5
    I was kinda expecting it then too. I think if the centurian had said it, it would have been more to placate Natalie so that she wouldn't start to worry about what she had done. But I definately think it's possible we'll hear them say something before the end of the series. Either that or one of the last scenes of the show will have the centurians starting to talk, completing the circle, on their evolutionary way.

ebony_kunoichi

[87]Apr 21, 2008
    • level: 13

poor cally. she was depressed and lonley. I kinda felt for her, but nah. She had to die, she was gonna tell on everyone. I really never liked her characted and didnt want the chief to be with her.

Tory is the new HBIC on the block. I like Tory. I dont like her with Baltar, but I still have liked her since the beginning. Poor chief, but it was kinda his fault. He ignored his wife all the time and left her with the baby all the time. That's enought to drive anyone mad.

I dont really like Lee as a politician, but what is Roslin really up to? I love the scene where Adama is reading to her. Did anyone pay attention to the words he was reading? It was describing his feeling for her or their relationship. Did anyone notice that??? Great writing once again.

Kara. I love me some Starbuck, but she is going nuts. It was great to see that steamy scene with her and Anders. I was like WOW!!! Frakking great! It was great to see my man Gaeta on the ship. More Gaeta!!!

rslade70

[88]Apr 21, 2008

Good episode (not one of the best, but good). Unfortunately too predictable. Right before the episode started , I looked at my husband and said....what do you bet that Cally dies, her body is found, and no one knows who did it and the Chief wonders if it was one of "them"......I was not exact, but very close.

I felt like it was easy to predict from the previews. They showed Cally finding out that her husband and the rest were Cylons, so you kind of knew the odds of her of living was slim.

I loved the Cylons being under fire from each-other. I assume some of each model will live. (my opinion the best part).

Cant wait til next week

Daehith

[89]Apr 21, 2008
    • level: 2
    Another excellent episode although i thought it was a bit stange that Tory used her new super strength without a second thought, yet the Chief got battered around the head to drop instantly. I don't understand why they haven't noticed this before. it was a shame to see her go but she would have blabbed, a sad loss for the crew. It will be interesting to see how Chief deals with this, hope he 'spaces' Tory that'd screw 'the big plan'!!!
    Edited on 04/21/2008 1:43pm

Jeric-Ho

[90]Apr 21, 2008
    • level: 34
    Daehith wrote:
    Another excellent episode although i thought it was a bit stange that Tory used her new super strength without a second thought, yet the Chief got battered around the head to drop instantly. I don't understand why they haven't noticed this before. it was a shame to see her go but she would have blabbed, a sad loss for the crew. It will be interesting to see how Chief deals with this, hope he 'spaces' Tory that'd screw 'the big plan'!!!

Well Tory did say to Tyrol in Joes Bar that she was feeling different, maybe this was the power she now has coming to her, Anders, Tigh and Tyrol have not mentioned any change in themselves yet, only Tory and then we noticed her power, so to me it was not so strange.

palpatine19

[91]Apr 21, 2008
    • level: 5

Not sure about Tories super strength, but i can tell you her actions do not make her evil, Cali was going to kill a child, a hybrid at that. Tori was merely protecting the child, and as an after thought, felt she better air lock Cali in case she descided to blab.

They never actually showed the destruction of the base stars, so there is still hope for the #6 Natalie model, and her coherts. Civil War

is here regardless.

Now the final five is really puzzling, i always thought they would be a higher power, or perfect version of the Cylon skin job, clearly they

have a plan, clearly they are seprate from the 7 the question is, when are they going to REALIZE they have a plan. Who gave them self-awarness, and why only that...who and when is going to push that button that activates their full programming and we finally get to find

out what the FRACK is ging on. Love this show, they have alot of story threads to follow now, wouldnt be surprised if one of them wraps

up quickly...like perhaps finding earth

montogma23

[92]Apr 21, 2008
    Myrddin19 wrote:

I liked the scenes aboard the Demetrius, and the political debate with Lee, I'm afraid Zarek is right, Roslyn needs someone to keep her in check, and Admiral Adama is not up for the job, which is a pity, cause I remember clearly he was at some point, Im afraid he's losing his edge, what with Lee abandoning the military, and Kara out of scene. He and Roslyn are now supporting each other, it seems.

ITA. roslin is starting to remind me alot of King George the third and look at where being a tyrant got him.I guess that if roslin is like king george the third then lee would be like john adams. I don't know, maybe it's just me but the similarites between john adams and lee adama is uncanny.

123home123

[93]Apr 21, 2008
    • level: 55
    We already heard those "Guardian" Cylons say "By Your Command" in the "Razor" movie. They also said a couple other sentences.

HeHateMe5

[94]Apr 21, 2008
    • level: 3

It has ben awhile since I've seen the razor movie. Those were the old centaruians, unfortunately they didn't look convincing at all. I don't know but the cgi on them ruined it for me, looked like they went on the south beach diet for the movie.

Hey maybe they were self conscious of their weight.

mialza

[95]Apr 22, 2008
    • level: 14

I was totally shocked by Cally's death. A lot of people have said they feel she deserved to die because she was about to kill herself and Nicky anyway. I disagree. If I remember correctly she was hesitating before she airlocked herself while she thought of the "good times" with the Chief. She didn't close the airlock until after Tori showed up, and she would naturally see her as a threat. Also, if Cally still hated Cylons as much as she did before she would have had not hesitated to sacrifice herself just to take out another skin-job and a hybrid, even if it was her son. She never would have let Tori talk her out of opening the airlock unless she still was seriously reconsidering killing herself.

Concerning Tori I think it was a Cylon program to protect herself and the kid that made her kill Cally. That said she seems to be the only one of the four who not only has gotten used to being a Cylon, she is embracing it, plus it almost seemed like she enjoyed doing it. I get the feeling that she may become a threat soon.

Also I'm getting a very dark vibe from this season. I don't think it will end well for anyone. The Cylon Civil war may end up destroying them, and I can't help but think that the fleet will not meet a good end. I wouldn't be surprised if the series ended with the Demetrius as the only ship left, and it discovers Earth despite being commanded by a total nutjob with the last remnants of the humans and of the Cylons. Kind of an Ark that will serve as a warning to the future.

Stingseven

[96]Apr 22, 2008
    >>>>But, I mean, let's be honest. It was going to be Cally dying, or the 4 cylons (Tori, Chief, Anders, and Tigh) being tortured and/or killed.

MrBovineOrdure

[97]Apr 22, 2008

Caprica Six said she felt the final 5 were near.

Wonder if Sharon has any feelings that one of them is in such close quarters with her?

Mr BO

Daehith

[98]Apr 22, 2008
    • level: 2
    I can also see the Demetrius being the only ship to make it earth unless Anders intervenes!! That would be interesting. Although it would be nice to see Lee take the role of President , then you'd have an Adama in charge of the people and the military. its still very early days and i guess the writers set this all out deliberately to keep us hooked, its just a shame they are going to do a mid season break again.

tripping82

[99]Apr 22, 2008
    • level: 14
    Do you think that she can only feel them since they were activated? or did she feel them before?

MrBovineOrdure

[100]Apr 22, 2008

After seeing this episode several times, a few comments;

I loved the scene with the red drops of liquid falling on Starbuck only to be paint.

Cavil is an atheist.

The Cylons have a limited number of replacement bodies. Cavils mentioning that they might run out of spare bodies implies that while they have the ability to download, there must be a recepticle to receive them. Do they have the ability to manufacture more bodies in the resurrection ship, or did they go out with a finite number of these bodies to be spent like missiles? Sounds like a BIG problem as you continue to loose people and get farther away from your home world.

I still wonder how Cally was allowed to get this messed up and why Doc Cottle continued to prescribe these medications without a proper diagnosis other than "I feel like I'm going crazy". I'm willing to settle on the fact that there are probably very few doctors left and no time, but with a limited number of meds, you'd think he'd be a little more careful with the recreational drugs.

Did anyone else notice the really bad looping done when Apollo mentioned the name of the former Caprica delegate whom he replaced during his speech? I don't know the name as it was still really hard to understand.

Apollo REALLY fracked over Zarek! When he mentioned the classified materials, Rosalyn looked directly at Tom with the "THAT'S THE LAST TIME I DISCUSS ANYTHING CLASSIFIED IN YOUR PRESENCE" look, and Tom just looking supremely screwed!

Could Tory be accepting her role as a Cylon more quickly because she hasn't been raised with the same sence of duty that Chief Terrel and Tigh were raised with?

For a very fresh and new Viper pilot, Seelix seems to be very free with her opinion of Starbuck. Perhaps she just hasn't been in the corps long enough to know what kind of reserve to express to her new comrades.

Adama allowed quite a few key people to accompany Starbuck. If your worried that she's a Cylon, why send her with another known Cylon? Yes it makes sense on one level as Sharon can help with long jumps, but it seems a bit risky. Especially when you include your chief navigator; Gaeta, and throw in your ex-XO: Helo. On one level they all have talents that would help the mission succeed, but it's a little like the old practice of Star Trek where you send the most important crew members of a very dangerous mission. Very gutsy move on the Admiral's part.

and one last thing. I think FRAK has finally and officially lost it's punch with me in this episode. It really didn't bother me up until just now. I don't think inventing other words to substitute for the other 6 words you can't say on television would help. It just feels like an attempt to mimic what I've heard about the Sopranos (I've yet to see one episode of that show) with only one substitute word in your arsenal. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE THIS SHOW. It's just that word fell over the cusp of being over-used.

Mr BO

Edited on 04/22/2008 4:40pm
    Edited 3 total times.