Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "Unfinished Business" (spoilers) (12/1/06 episode)

trackstarbuck

[41]Dec 2, 2006
    • level: 10
    i am mentally dismissing all starbuck or kara/lee hating posts here because home is gonna be pissed is i go off again.... oh and apparently i`m trying to be "nice"...w/e
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

acsgrlie

[42]Dec 2, 2006
    • level: 8
    wow! enough can not be said about this episode. As i was watching it i knew some parts were coming and i knew kara was going to do something horrible at the end but i was still so shocked when it happened. How could she do that to lee? they could've finally been happy with each other. atleast in the end they said they missed each other, and according to the look on dee's face, it's over between her and apollo. I still think it will be awhile before they're ready to be in a relationship together. Lee still has some healing to do after she stabbed him in the back. the look on his face was so heatbreaking when he heard the news. it was so bad too because adama was saying how she deserves to find happiness and Lee thought/hoped she had found it with him. You gotta feel bad for Dee though.  I think she always kinda knew that she was his second choice. Still, those scenes of them on New Caprica will be forever seen in K/L shipper vids =)

gcswift2

[43]Dec 2, 2006
    • level: 9

trackstarbuck wrote:
    i am mentally dismissing all starbuck or kara/lee hating posts here because home is gonna be pissed is i go off again.... oh and apparently i`m trying to be "nice"...w/e

Don't be nice be honest, just dont be vulgar. I'm sorry you feel we are hating on your girl, but I; as one of the many who obviously did not drink the Kara Kool Aid, feel that this episode exemplifies why I dislike this character. She's a cowardly Spice Girl. Its sad that BSG has to waste its time trying to redeem this lost soul. When every other character on the show is showing us the definition of quite confidence and courage, she is running around screaming "GIRL POWER!!!".

I've never been a fan of Starbuck, and this episode just proved me right.

trackstarbuck

[44]Dec 2, 2006
    gcswift2 wrote:

trackstarbuck wrote:

Don't be nice be honest, just dont be vulgar. I'm sorry you feel we are hating on your girl, but I; as one of the many who obviously did not drink the Kara Kool Aid, feel that this episode exemplifies why I dislike this character. She's a cowardly Spice Girl. Its sad that BSG has to waste its time trying to redeem this lost soul. When every other character on the show is showing us the definition of quite confidence and courage, she is running around screaming "GIRL POWER!!!".

ok. i dont think u get it. honest and me is either punching someone out or cussing someone out at this point so i can`t even begin to respond to that.

MichaudMR

[45]Dec 2, 2006
    • level: 17

This episode is a great example of what Ron Moore has done best since his days at Trek. He leads a great group of writers, crew, and cast, to develop wonderfully multidimensional characters coping with extraordinary circumstances. His ability to transend the usual BEMS (Bug-Eyed-Monster-Story) and into the mainstream ratings chase hinges on this talent and could be a reason why season 3 has dipped a bit. Up until the last two episodes we've dealt more with the large issues of military occupation, insurgancy, and genocide, and less about the interpersonal relationships within this landscape.  With any luck he's done with setting the stage and can now bring the players to the front again.

On other subjects:

Didn't Cally Tyrol have her jaw wired shut (or at least have some evidence of residual healing) during the time period covered in the flashbacks?

I enjoyed the (platonic) "shipping" between Laura Roslin and Bill Adama during the early days of New Caprica. It truly underscored a sense of relief and the relaxation of the siege mentality of the time. With Laura no longer President they could both indulge in each others company without fear of a conflict of interest.  Once she was back in office, it has to be back to business (another loss for both of them).

I also noticed a loose interpretation of the rules of boxing (even for the military style), but I chalked it up to Tigh "leveling the playing field" a bit to compensate for the obvious weight/gender class difference.

Obaida

[46]Dec 2, 2006
    • level: 9
    trackstarbuck wrote:
    ok. i dont think u get it. honest and me is either punching someone out or cussing someone out at this point so i can`t even begin to respond to that.

So you'd like to assault or berate someone just because they don't share your love for a FICTIONAL CHARACTER? Wow, that's.....actually, that sounds very Starbuck-like.

althalus69

[47]Dec 2, 2006
    • level: 11
    Brilliant episode.
    Honestly, I don't remember a TV ep about boxing (of all sports) being as thrilling as this one.
    Also we got loads of character interaction and some light on the Kara/Adama relationship.
    Someone mentioned this would be a "filler" episode and in conclusion i have to say: "Best episode of all times".

Prototype24

[48]Dec 2, 2006
    That was an excellent ep, good drama. I like Adama statement to the crew and the way he called out Tyrol. Starbuck is a **** she just fu*ks with the guys emotions. I thought Adama & Roslin were gonna get busy at one point instead they got High Baby....Love that sh*t!

JalineTV

[49]Dec 2, 2006
    • level: 18
    gcswift2 wrote:
    If they are boxing why is Starbuck kicking. Noone else is kicking. She didn't kick bulldog. WTF.

She wanted to use everything she had to beat up Apollo, and he did the same. Saul wasn't there either, so they didn't have anyone to officiate them anyway.

This was a damn good episode. I kind of wanted to see Athena go head-to-head with someone but she'd probably lose. Actually, wait! Who knows what sorts of cylon fluids she would secrete after getting beaten or what sorts of cylon tricks she has up her sleeve, haha. Still one of my favourite characters anyway. And I couldn't tell if Kat was going against Racetrack or not (I also like Racetrack). It was obvious who was going to win, but I wanted to see Racetrack's face to confirm it was her, at the very least.

Lee and Kara's issues are seriously angsty but not at the point of being an annoyance. The episode played out well and I still like Kara more (because of Katee's acting abilities, primarily) but Lee definitely has some more sympathy from me for what Kara did to him. That must've been a shocker.
    Edited on 12/02/2006 8:53pm
    Edited 3 total times.

ozwitch

[50]Dec 3, 2006
    • level: 2
    gcswift2 wrote:

Don't be nice be honest, just dont be vulgar. I'm sorry you feel we are hating on your girl, but I; as one of the many who obviously did not drink the Kara Kool Aid, feel that this episode exemplifies why I dislike this character. She's a cowardly Spice Girl. Its sad that BSG has to waste its time trying to redeem this lost soul. When every other character on the show is showing us the definition of quite confidence and courage, she is running around screaming "GIRL POWER!!!".

You know, I don't like Kara as a character either, but I have to admit in this episode I began to understand what it is like being Kara Thrace, and I started to feel sorry for her. She just hates herself. Not just dislike, or lack of self-respect, she really HATES who she is. And because of that, she drives away those she loves. And then hates and punishes herself more for that.

I'd hate to be Kara. Even her 'daughter' isn't around anymore to give her some purpose, some reason to feel good about herself. I agree, it was a brilliant episode where we saw what the New Caprica settlement did to the fleet, and how many wounds are still raw.

And Laura and Bill cuddling up under the stars! Awesome.

Happy_Dau

[51]Dec 3, 2006
    • level: 8
    Wow! Congratulations, Battlestar Galactica! You are now on par with Firefly!
    Season Two's finale came really close to that excellent series but only now I consider them equal.

Anyone else being reminded of Firefly?
    Thought it was funny that there already was a reference to Firefly in this thread before the episode aired.

JalineTV

[52]Dec 3, 2006
    • level: 18
    Yes, I actually talked about this in another thread (regarding the meshing of cultures). I actually got to write a SciFi-related essay in my "Science Fiction and Literature" class last year (in university) and I decided to write about the "Naturalistic Science Fiction" and how Battlestar Galactica and Firefly both employ this concept. It was one of the amusing essays I've had to write and I can honestly say that my prof was amazing

Writer2000

[53]Dec 3, 2006
    annpo wrote:
    This is pretty much the best ep of anything I've ever watched.

Hopefully now that the air is cleared - even if the bruises are going to take considerably longer to fade - Lee and Kara can move on.

Kara's pretty much tossed Anders aside, now all Lee has to do is rid himself of that limpid limpit he's married to and they can move on.

Loved all the Adama/Roslin time too. That's a relationship that could use some more air time for development.

I couldn't have said that better myself. Pretty much everything you said was exactly what I came here to post about the episode. I agree that this episode was both the best episode of this series and of any TV show. I really enjoyed the explanation for the feud between Lee and Kara. I thought that their storyline was all pretty interesting. I really hated the way Kara treated Anders in this episode. He's become one of my most favorite of the secondary characters this season. I felt so bad for him. I now agree that Kara and Lee should be together. Lee should get rid of the his wife. They just aren't right for each other.

I also loved all the Adama/Roslin stuff in this episode. They really should give the relationship more air time for development. I've always loved the dynamic of their relationship and how it has evolved. I think that they have really good chemistry together. I'm for anything that will give Mary McDonnell more air time. I just loved Roslin period in this episode. Roslin is my #1 favorite character on BSG. I've always enjoyed her, but I especially enjoyed her in this episode. She seemed to have a certain spunk in this episode that I don't think that we've really seen from Roslin before. All in all, I thought that this was a great episode, and I think that it definitely lived up to the hype.

Writer2000

[54]Dec 3, 2006
    Obaida wrote:
    boombye wrote:
    All that aside Obaida, how did you feel about their relationships with each other, like kara and lee, and adama and roslin, etc.. Did that not make up for the episode? Can't they be granted an episode full of peace and at the same time tension, I mean after all those flashbacks, they're still in a war. I think being able to see them happy for a time was pretty cool.

It's quite possible that my intense dislike for Starbuck and the scene with her and Lee is coloring my opinion of the entire episode, especially since the entire episode seemed to build towards it. However, you are right that there were redeeming qualities especially the one you mentioned: the relationship between Roslin and Adama. Their interaction has been one of the best things on the show and they are by far my two favorite characters (in fact, Roslin is my favorite female character on ANY television show).

I definitely agree with you that Roslin is one of the best female charcters on any TV show. She's my favorite female character on any TV show too. Mary McDonnell plays the part of Laura Roslin so well.

AprilFox

[55]Dec 3, 2006
    • level: 111
    ITA Writer2000, Laura is my favorite character too, on any show currently airing. Although Kyra Sedgwick in The Closer is a close second.

Kounji

[56]Dec 4, 2006
    • level: 2
    Hmm my only beef with this entire episode was that with all the tension that was there from having Athena on the ship why didn't anyone want to throw their tags in against her. I mean the most obivous of match ups would have been probably her and cally, which I think would have been rather nice, perhaps since this was a Lee/Kara centric episode they didn't have enough time, or their might have been some complications like cally fighting after only being out of pregnancy for so long. I bet cally might have looked really cute with boxing gloves on as well. Just my two credits

trackstarbuck

[57]Dec 4, 2006
    Obaida wrote:
    trackstarbuck wrote:

So you'd like to assault or berate someone just because they don't share your love for a FICTIONAL CHARACTER? Wow, that's.....actually, that sounds very Starbuck-like.

not because they don`t like starbuck but because after hearing their reasoning i can assure u that we would hate each other in real life. and insulting curtain aspects of her personality is basically insulting me. so yeah, if someone came up to me and were like "you`re a ***** because you sleep w/ guys and you are really soooo weak. you are going to destroy everything around you. and you act like a lesbian" i`d punch them. just because u want women to all strive to be more intelligent because thats they only thing u think we can be the best at, doesn`t mean im gonna sit in a little prayer circle crying to god until he makes me president. sorry.

trackstarbuck

[58]Dec 4, 2006
    ozwitch wrote:
    gcswift2 wrote:

You know, I don't like Kara as a character either, but I have to admit in this episode I began to understand what it is like being Kara Thrace, and I started to feel sorry for her. She just hates herself. Not just dislike, or lack of self-respect, she really HATES who she is. And because of that, she drives away those she loves. And then hates and punishes herself more for that.

I'd hate to be Kara. Even her 'daughter' isn't around anymore to give her some purpose, some reason to feel good about herself. I agree, it was a brilliant episode where we saw what the New Caprica settlement did to the fleet, and how many wounds are still raw.

and that makes it even harder to be Kara Thrace because people either go "oo. crazy maniac. stay away from the screw-up" or they go "poor Kara. shes such a tormented soul". some people don`t WANT to talk about their emotions and they dont WANT kids and they dont WANT to be pretty so they don`t HAVE to.

so im glad this episode has helped some people see what it is like to be here for absolutely no reason.

flynikeguy

[59]Dec 4, 2006
    • level: 15
    Not to change the subject or anything, but I'm more than a little confused with Kara's decision to rush off and marry Anders. I've been trying to work it out but it still puzzles me. Why would she want to hurt Lee like that?

Also, I get that she has commitment issues, but by not being with someone you confess your love to by running off and marrying someone else? WTF? Any thoughts?

123home123

[60]Dec 4, 2006
    • level: 55
    Reminds me of that "Runaway Bride" in Georgia last year, Jennifer Wilbanks.
    Edited on 12/04/2006 12:46pm