Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Episode 2-14 "Black Market" (spoilers)

123home123

[1]Jan 26, 2006
    • level: 55
    This episode appears to focus on Apollo as he investigates the underground economy among the civilian ships.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Parae434

[2]Jan 26, 2006
    • level: 9
    I think it makes sense to have a black market. tom zarek brought it up in 'colonial day' how no one works for wages anymore and since we don't know if thatsbeen rememdied, then a black market is the way to get goods.

marvelfan89

[3]Jan 28, 2006
    • level: 39
    This episode was brilliant, way better in my
    opinion than Ressurection Ship, once again they blur
    the lines between whose right or wrong.

Phelan:

"Despite the President's objections , the fleet needs
    us".

Even though Apollo didn't want to admit, everyone was doing was Fisk what was doing, except he got greedy. Phelan was a brilliant character, they didn't just make into a psycho, the writers are so good in fleshing out characters that look plain on paper and make them sympathetic and believable.
    Edited on 01/28/2006 1:49am

TVPros

[4]Jan 28, 2006
    • level: 7
    Good episode except it seemed easy for Apollo to get the gun from the henchman. Sure Apollo has the "I'm already dead" attitude but still.

FrakkingFrakker

[5]Jan 28, 2006
    • level: 28
    When you're in an organization where discipline means death and your leader tells you to wait, you wait.

I don't think Lee getting the gun was easy, I just think we felt it was as hard as we were expecting it to be. Even bad guys follow rules and logic.

Despite Phelan saying he didn't care who lee was...("I know who you are, and I don't care.") That was on another ship. If he's in your hide-out, and the military knows he's there, you don't kill him. No one in their right mind would shoot him there. Unless the henchman were given the command Lee was in no danger, and despite his fatalistic intents he knew that too.

Was getting the gun too easy? I don't know. I don't think the story called for anything bigger than what it was. It made sense to me.

Darkness1234

[6]Jan 28, 2006
    • level: 13
    I think Lee was going to let that guy continue with the Black Market but the child prostitution and that woman were the breaking point. He just shot the guy and the hechmen are like WTF just happened. lol

But it is true no one gets paid anymore, and they are running out of food (they got water) and medicene.

I think Lee was correct in letting the black market live without the stuff he mentioned. This way someone has extra food can trade it for medicene.

I got to say it was a brillant episode, showing the dark side on humans.

I also think Phelan didn't kill Lee the first time because he is scared of what his father might do. His father would of had the entire fleet going after 1 man. The second time Lee met him on the ship Phelan didn't kill him because Pegasus would of shot them down, and you can see Lee didn't care if he died or not.
    Edited on 01/28/2006 9:36am

DoctorElect

[7]Jan 28, 2006
    Has anyone listened to Ron Moore's podcast? He spent the entire time saying how bad the episode is and blaming himself. He has a point. Dee, the hooker, and the lady back on Caprica didn't present too much interest. The flashbacks and Dee seem thrown in there and don't have the emotional pull they should. The bad guy seemed a little too bad and the child prostitution was thrown in because at that point there wasn't anything really bad that the black market did. Its the old bank robber rapes a woman. Not quite sure if he is bad so the author goes for the cheap shot and makes him do the worst thing possible. But it actually wasn't as bad as he thought it was. It was an okay episode.

mrondine

[8]Jan 28, 2006
    Decent episode. True, it did have some glaring weaknesses (HOW many times did they run that cheesy flashback shot of his old girlfriend?) but they desperately need to give Lee some more character... since the end of season 1, his character's been incredibly bland and uninteresting. In that regard, at least it somewhat succeeded.

BattlestarQ

[9]Jan 28, 2006
    • level: 8
    Well What can I say Except Bravo. Another great episode that had me hanging on the edge of my seat, especially when they killed Fisk, Attacked Apollo, and Apollo Shot The Bad guy, Bravo. But what i would have also done was to gather up all the kids locked in that room and brought them back to the fleet. There is no call for children to be locked in a room. When i first saw the kids there and apollo said he would be back for her, you see her fingers still griping the grill on the door as to say dont leave me, I actually thought he would be back for her with her mom. but the mom turned out to be a true whore and i feel doesnt deserve the child. if she lets the child be locked up like that. i do hope they put something in a future episode that will address that problem. Picture You as the child growing up in that atmosphere, Mom is a whore and has a new man showing up at different hours of the day and night, She or her pimp locks you in a room. I am sorry no child deserves that life. some might say its the luck of the draw but if i were that child in that life with that mom i would kill myself for having such bad luck.

fcjd06

[10]Jan 28, 2006
    • level: 4
    ....There is a lot I liked about this episode. In particular, the quandary as to the trade-offs between the society you want, and the society that is possible with respect to the black market trade.
    ....While there were also some good character points for Lee (particularly in the way he was dealing with the current realities of civilian life in the fleet) there were some that were quite sketchy. I agree with many of the others here that the flashback sequences with Lee's prior girlfriend could have been better anchored to the story in general. Even the exposition at the end was an odd fit because I would like to see more about why Lee was so obsessed with his prior girlfriend and why he was running away from things.
    ....While I don't think we need everything explained in excruciating detail, I think more is required to flesh out the character.
    ....Moore has commented that Lee is a rather disillusioned individual who is not so sure about his role in life. This sentiment was particularly apparent in the podcast for "Final Cut" when Moore pointed out Lee's status as a reservist. Moore explained that, unlike his father, the focus of Lee's life was not towards continuing and attaining higher rank in the Colonial Fleet. He is just not sure about what he wants in life. This relates to another matter between Lee and his father: issues pertaining to Zach.
    ....In the miniseries, Lee aired his resentment towards his father for purportedly pushing both he and Zach into the service. While Lee probably blamed his father for Zach's death on account that Zach was not cut-out for the service, I presume this was about more than that. I often got the impression that although Lee was cut-out for the service, he didn't want to be in it and the Cylon attack forced him into a situation he didn't want. Again, Lee is disillusioned just as I might infer from his decision to suffocate himself in "Resurrection Ship, Part II." I think it may have helped to expand on this underlying disillusion in order to provide the audience with more of an understanding as to the Lee's underlying motivations in the context of this episode. Much of this series has been devoted to how these flawed characters deal with their past and rise (or fall) to the demands of their present situations. For these reasons, I wish Lee's character motivations were more fleshed-out in this episode; however, I suppose this can be cured by doing so in future episodes.
    ....I think it would be very worthwhile to examine the emotional context that Lee is acting on. In this light, this episode can be foreshadowing.
    ...DoctorElect,
    ........I'll be sure to check out the podcast. I think it's always good to weigh an episode against the writer's (or creator's) intentions. Cheers to you for doing so.

monster_monster

[11]Jan 28, 2006
    • level: 35
    What I really liked about this episode, and what saved it from being pretty bad compared to other Battlestar Galactica episodes, was the scene where Apollo shot the big bad man. That sequence was priceless.

Otherwise I don't care too much about 'Sherloc' episodes of any show. If I wanted a detective series I'd watch Poirot, 24, or whatever. Don't get me wrong, I thought this episode was OK, and the investigation element wasn't all that aperant or focused on.

After spending some time thinking about the episode, I'm glad they focused on Apollo and his trades. The prostitute seemd thrown into the story, but ok, fine, as long as it served a purpose... and I think it did. I'm not sure yet.. the significance of this episode may be revealed in future episodes. I've not read any spoilers or speculations, so I don't know. Just guessing.

BattlestarQ

[12]Jan 28, 2006
    fcjd06 wrote:
    ...DoctorElect,
    ........I'll be sure to check out the podcast. I think it's always good to weigh an episode against the writer's (or creator's) intentions. Cheers to you for doing so.

these pod cast's where do ya get em? and do you need an IPOD to hear them?
    Edited on 01/28/2006 5:41pm

Darkness1234

[13]Jan 28, 2006
    • level: 13
    Google PodCasts
    Anyway they are like recorded radio stations but in MP3 so you can just download and listen to one.

Stinkfoot71

[14]Jan 28, 2006
    • level: 1
    The last scene, does Lee tell his father "about the woman"? I wonder...

The henchmen seemed perfectly pleased to have their boss axed. I guess they figured it was promotion time! I agree with an earlier post as to why no one was going to shoot Lee, but it was a bit of 007 type cheese as it appeared in the scene. What was that the Vulcan neck pinch?

Should have been an extended storey line over a few episodes to explain the back storey of the black market, appolo's lost love, and a host of other things, but it was still the best 43 minutes of my week

I trust the writers at this point, if they had to cut these potential storeys short then I expect better material was the reason why. Still, Bill Duke as Phelan was far to short lived. He is a great actor with a huge list of television and film to his credit. They should have made some allowances for him to be a Cylon damnit!

I read that this episode having minimal VFX allows the writers and VFX team to really get creative on an upcoming episode with a huge space battle! I am soooo drooling in anticipation of that.

danharr

[15]Jan 28, 2006
    • level: 45
    Not too much above a filler episode on the quality level for me. Despite what some of you said, Phelan was a psycho IMO. He didn't have any depth perhaps they were modeling him after old time mob bosses but failed his character had none of the depth of those types. Dee pops up Apollo shoots her down oh well back to geek boy wtf?! The prostitute being involved with Apollo was the closest thing to interesting we had and no that little blurb about some ex who he left hurting that died in the attack doesn't count. Apollo got the gun because he cut a backdoor deal with the henchmen I believe or they were scared to kill Adama's son. I don't think discipline was the calming factor. Oh one more thing of interest was the cat and mouse game Rosalyn and Balthar are playing over her sighting of him with six. Other than that I can't see what you people liked let alone loved about this episode.
    Edited on 01/28/2006 8:33pm

heavensblade

[16]Jan 28, 2006
    I thought the episode was a little disappointing, especially when compared to the last 3 or 4 episodes. Personally, I don't understand why they decided to change Lee's personality so much. First he was just dealing with issues about his relationship with his father and his brother's fiancé (Adama and Thrace respectively) now the writers seem to have thought lets make Lee have a darker motive and have regrets over a lost love. If this was included from the beginning then it'll be fine and consistent but just tacking on a couple of scenes in a prior episode as a lead in to a whole other side of Lee that we never seen before seems wrong.

While I understand the need to make Lee a deeper character, I think this is not the way it should have been done.

On a tangent, why is Roslin so naive? As a government official, she should be aware that in a market economy, black markets will spring up to service the rich (or inelastic demand) when demand is greater than supply. To think she can eliminate price gouging in such an environment seems very naive and simple minded.

Anyway, ok episode but not to the standards that I’ve been used to from BSG.

port5170

[17]Jan 29, 2006
    • level: 12
    Quality episode, the acting was really good in this one,
    I feel so bad for the little girl.. I liked that the Black Market was not shut down all the way, that would of been to cut and dried..

BisquickDynamo

[18]Jan 29, 2006
    • level: 2
    I thought the episode was mediocre erring on bad.

The characterizations are just all over the place, and this episode really put a head on it.

Why in the world would Apollo just out and accuse Baltar of murdering the Pegasus Commander? There is no logic behind that other than appraently Apollo was just going to accuse the first person he saw.

And Baltar's charachter has been more on the ball recently than ever before in the series. Why would the president offer him an out NOW of all times?

As was mentioned before, why would the gangsters just stand there after Apollo killed their boss? When Apollo said they could keep their jobs and they looked like "thank you apollo! You are so merciful!" I almost laughed out loud.

fcjd06

[19]Jan 29, 2006
    BattlestarQ wrote:
    fcjd06 wrote:
    ...DoctorElect,

these pod cast's where do ya get em? and do you need an IPOD to hear them?

Here's a link from the Sci-Fi Channel's BSG page containing the BSG podcasts:

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/downloads/podcast/

You do not need an IPOD because the podcasts are mp3 files which are playable on any device recognizing the format. I like to play them on my laptop computer while watching a particular episode.
    Edited on 01/29/2006 8:28pm

Cancergirl41

[20]Jan 30, 2006
    This episode looked like a bad television version of a film noir. And it was obviously a chance to show that Lee Adama had "issues". To be honest, the only worthwhile scene in this episode featured the stand-off between Roslin and Baltar.

The last few episodes, including the big "Pegasus" arc have really been disappointing.