TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Episode 2-14 "Black Market" (spoilers)

  • Avatar of Parae434

    Parae434

    [21]Jan 30, 2006
    • member since: 07/17/05
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 682
    I'm so fracking stupid. I was out Friday night and knew that I'd miss the episode, but that's okay because they reair on monday. At ten tonight, after 24 was over, I went to turn off the TV and hesitated. Iasked my roommate if there's anything we watch after 24 on mondays (roomy...not exactly a scifi/bsg type person). I just couldn't put my finger on it. And now I'm smashing my head in because --DUH-- I missed the episode.

    Could someone please (with sugar on top) give me a rundown of what happened including the important stuff. Does anyone know if it reairs again?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of icanfix

    icanfix

    [22]Jan 31, 2006
    • member since: 07/23/05
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 851
    the episode definatly made it clear the fleet was running low on essentials, what i didnt like though was how adama let the black market be un taxed, they should have atleast confiscated loads of the stuff on the ship.

    rosolin gave boltar a way out now cos when she was dying she saw a flashback of baltar with a6 and only realised it then

    i am getting really fed up with baltar, its as though he is in his own little world, he is too much of a wreck for me,

    i feal like the show is etting to personal for me, i understan we have to know and relate to the characters but i feal we are not watching because of the characters but because of the situation and feal as though the show has too many kinks in it

    i think the show is all over the place, too many characters doing too many things, what are the fleet doing, there is no immediate plans, they are just existing, so what there is a baby on the way, and baltar is corrupt, i want overall satisfaction not just plot satisfaction
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of BattlestarQ

    BattlestarQ

    [23]Jan 31, 2006
    • member since: 01/05/06
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 184
    icanfix wrote:
    ... i want overall satisfaction not just plot satisfaction

    Ya want Satisfaction? Eat a "Snickers" It really Satisfies
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Stinkfoot71

    Stinkfoot71

    [24]Jan 31, 2006
    • member since: 09/18/05
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 8
    You can purchase and download all the episodes on Itunes and watch them on your computer. They even sell itunes prepaid cards at best buy. Now you never need to miss an episode again.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of BattlestarQ

    BattlestarQ

    [25]Feb 1, 2006
    • member since: 01/05/06
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 184
    Stinkfoot71 wrote:
    You can purchase and download all the episodes on Itunes and watch them on your computer. They even sell itunes prepaid cards at best buy. Now you never need to miss an episode again.
    Well I for one would not ever bother with Itunes or Ipods. Why cause I Know that video designed for a small Ipod will be rather fragmented looking at it on a large 20" lcd monitor in full screen and i have my pc also hooked to my 27" Sony TV and if its grainy and boxey looking on my 20Inch monitor it will simply look like larger boxey and larger grainieness on the Tv. Needless to say quality wise DVD's are the way to go. But if ya want to spend your money. Hey spend it, its your money but dont say you werent warned.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of danharr

    danharr

    [26]Feb 1, 2006
    • member since: 04/30/05
    • level: 45
    • rank: Swizzle-Bird
    • posts: 11,043
    BattlestarQ wrote:
    Stinkfoot71 wrote:
    You can purchase and download all the episodes on Itunes and watch them on your computer. They even sell itunes prepaid cards at best buy. Now you never need to miss an episode again.
    Well I for one would not ever bother with Itunes or Ipods. Why cause I Know that video designed for a small Ipod will be rather fragmented looking at it on a large 20" lcd monitor in full screen and i have my pc also hooked to my 27" Sony TV and if its grainy and boxey looking on my 20Inch monitor it will simply look like larger boxey and larger grainieness on the Tv. Needless to say quality wise DVD's are the way to go. But if ya want to spend your money. Hey spend it, its your money but dont say you werent warned.


    I hardly doubt that Apple would provide a service that is only suitable for the ipod, to everyone without taking measures to ensure quality. I would imagine that when you go to the download site you could chose the format best for you. All in all it doesn't matter since one shouldn't be paying for downloads anyway........
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of FeldmanSkitzoid

    FeldmanSkitzoid

    [27]Feb 2, 2006
    • member since: 05/22/02
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 110
    I was kinda disappointed that they killed off 2 very interesting characters in this episode, and quickly ended something that could've been a pretty interesting sub-plot for a few episodes.

    The Black Market seems to be a problem invented only for this episode. It would've been nice to see a gradual build-up to what happens in this episode - Fisk dealing with the "boss" guy, Lee slowly getting closer to the source of the problem as he descends into his own bit of madness, etc. It was just unfortunate that they chose to do it all in one episode.

    I will say that Tom Zarek (as always) was a treat. I still don't know if he's a good guy or bad guy. None of our standard "good guys" trusts him, but he's never done anything to earn the "bad guy" title. He's an enigma, which makes him so interesting.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of fcjd06

    fcjd06

    [28]Feb 2, 2006
    • member since: 12/16/05
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 145
    FeldmanSkitzoid wrote:
    The Black Market seems to be a problem invented only for this episode. It would've been nice to see a gradual build-up to what happens in this episode - Fisk dealing with the "boss" guy, Lee slowly getting closer to the source of the problem as he descends into his own bit of madness, etc. It was just unfortunate that they chose to do it all in one episode.


    I thought they briefly mentioned a black market in the past; however, I certainly agree that there was not much of a "build up" on the matter of problems associated with it.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of FrakkingFrakker

    FrakkingFrakker

    [29]Feb 2, 2006
    • member since: 01/22/06
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 319
    I still feel that there's a missing episode between Resurrection Ship 2 and Epiphanies. ...perhaps as an after thought they should make one that can kind of tie some of the confusions together.

    We just integrated the pegasus too fast and missed some good story threads...Gina popped up and get psychologically better in a flash. And the black market came out of nowhere. Perhaps there's something they can do as an afterthought to make it all better.

    I still liked the episode. I don't completely rule out Phelan being a Cylon.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of monster_monster

    monster_monster

    [30]Feb 3, 2006
    • member since: 08/07/05
    • level: 35
    • rank: Beverly Hillbilly
    • posts: 807
    FrakkingFrakker wrote:
    I still feel that there's a missing episode between Resurrection Ship 2 and Epiphanies. ...perhaps as an after thought they should make one that can kind of tie some of the confusions together.

    We just integrated the pegasus too fast and missed some good story threads...Gina popped up and get psychologically better in a flash. And the black market came out of nowhere. Perhaps there's something they can do as an afterthought to make it all better.

    I still liked the episode. I don't completely rule out Phelan being a Cylon.


    I think you're right about the missing parts. I feel that way too. I remember thinking 'Hey, where did that come from' more than one time during the last episodes, and especially during 'Black Market'
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of 123home123

    123home123

    [31]Feb 3, 2006
    • member since: 05/24/02
    • level: 55
    • rank: Bounty Dog
    • posts: 11,760
    In "Epiphanies," Baltar says that he hadn't seen Gina for a few weeks.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of 123home123

    123home123

    [32]Feb 3, 2006
    • member since: 05/24/02
    • level: 55
    • rank: Bounty Dog
    • posts: 11,760
    I finally saw the episode tonight, as I was recording "Scar" on the DVR. I liked it a lot, although the end seemed unfinished. It was a bit different than most BSG episodes, which was a nice change of pace. One great thing about the series is that there are always changes, changes in the plot, changes in the fleet, changes in the characters, and now a different episode style. It reminded me of the movie "Blade Runner," where Harrison Ford's character, Deckard, sought his escapee in the grimy, seedy underworld of the Los Angeles of the future. Deckard faced physical attacks like Lee did and ventured into the heart of the urban jungle, the enemy's territory, as Lee did. [By the way, Edward James Olmos played an important character in the movie, Gaff.]

    I didn't miss the outer space special effects at all, though I look forward to future episodes with special effects extravaganzas. This was a moody, morose episode--BUT in a good way. My only criticism would be the final scene with Lee and Admiral Adama. It seemed like the writers ran out of energy there and couldn't think of any additional dialogue. Adama says that Lee should have told him about the woman. Huh? I didn't get the point of having Adama say that at that point. Why was that the final scene of the episode?

    Still, I enjoyed it. Now I'll have to watch "Scar" right away.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of FrakkingFrakker

    FrakkingFrakker

    [33]Feb 4, 2006
    • member since: 01/22/06
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 319
    I forget what Ron Moore said about the final scene in the podcast ( a smarter man would actually take the moment and listen to it, before posting, but...as I said, a smarter man...)

    In any case, my take-without the official- is basically to let Lee know he's not as transparent as he thought. Like someone who becomes an alcoholic or drug addict and beleives no one notices. Perhaps this was a way for a father to say to their son, "look, you've changed and we noticed."

    On the other hand, there could be something else completely to it, since, if that's what he meant there's a scene to be had there.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Kame_Ron

    Kame_Ron

    [34]Mar 17, 2006
    • member since: 10/31/05
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 100
    Was it just me or did they talk about 'Cubans' in this episode?

    So they have a place called Cuba that produces the best Cigars? Wow, what a coincidence!!!
    Or did some trader from earth visit the colonies secretly and introduced these cigars?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of DocMartigan

    DocMartigan

    [35]Mar 18, 2006
    • member since: 02/18/04
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 1,402
    I don't remember hearing anything about Cubans.

    Their "dollars" are cubits, you may have just heard it wrong.

    Nice try at being a smart a$$ though.
    Edited on 03/18/2006 5:55am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Kame_Ron

    Kame_Ron

    [36]Mar 19, 2006
    • member since: 10/31/05
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 100
    Yeah, it was Cubits! My mistake.

    Smart a$$? Me? No way
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.