Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Episode 2-15 "Scar" (spoilers)

Parae434

[21]Feb 4, 2006
    • level: 9
    heavensblade wrote:
    This episode was better than last week's episode but I think that BSG is starting to slide a bit on quality. Maybe it’s just the style of this episode that I dislike. Hopefully next week will be better.

Well, they can't all be winners, but i still thought that this was a good episode (re: no great, not a classic, but solid). Next weeks looks pretty interesting, and i think its a great juxtaposition with the peace movement. You have people mad at the military for fighting with the cylons, aaaaaaand you have people mad at the military for cooperating with the cylons. Some people just can't win.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MattBoxer

[22]Feb 4, 2006
    heavensblade wrote:
    This episode was better than last week's episode but I think that BSG is starting to slide a bit on quality. Maybe it’s just the style of this episode that I dislike. Hopefully next week will be better.

I think we are missing some important eliments that were around in season 1.

1. a, known to the audiance, Human-Cylon that is on every week.

2. Parallel caprica/BSG stories.. i thought that added something.

3. no season long plot archs (excluding charicter development stuff).

but other than that BSG is still humming a long in terms of quality.

JalineTV

[23]Feb 4, 2006
    • level: 18
    Parae434 wrote:
    The end with Starbuck reciting everyone's name was great, especially in light of how she told Apollo that she couldn't remember their names. I half expected her to clock kat or something, but the girl has got some class.

I don't care much for episodes that focus on Starbuck, or even Apollo for that matter, but I did really like that part when Thrace actually does remember the names of the deceased.

danharr

[24]Feb 4, 2006
    • level: 45
    Well it may have had it's problems but it got everything right when it comes to things we love about this show. Plus after black market this week was a welcome uptrend in writing. I wish scar had been introduced earlier, I really didn't feel the gravity of what he was doing to the fleet. Maybey that wasn't the point, maybey Starbucks fall and rise was the real focus. I was glad to see it but using that guy she met at the beginning of the season and never mentioned again, real weak. Other than those small issues the episode was great back on track as far as the writing goes i'd say.

heavensblade

[25]Feb 5, 2006
    • level: 8
    MattBoxer wrote:
    I think we are missing some important eliments that were around in season 1.

1. a, known to the audiance, Human-Cylon that is on every week.

2. Parallel caprica/BSG stories.. i thought that added something.

3. no season long plot archs (excluding charicter development stuff).

but other than that BSG is still humming a long in terms of quality.

I think you're right, especially with the long plot arc point. I am struggling to think of any long story arc this season to keep the interest up. The last couple of episodes seem to concentrate on too much character development at the expense of plot development. Hmm, maybe the novelty of the BSG series is wearing off on me.

Parae434

[26]Feb 5, 2006
    Well, i think if anything, the new season's arcs is about the different factions in the fleet (think gina and her brand new nuke, wonder if that's going to come into play ever...)

trackstarbuck

[27]Feb 5, 2006
    • level: 10
    JalineTV wrote:
    Parae434 wrote:
    The end with Starbuck reciting everyone's name was great, especially in light of how she told Apollo that she couldn't remember their names. I half expected her to clock kat or something, but the girl has got some class.

I don't care much for episodes that focus on Starbuck, or even Apollo for that matter, but I did really like that part when Thrace actually does remember the names of the deceased.

i`m just going to say...i disagree

bofh5

[28]Feb 6, 2006
    • level: 1
    Yep i have to agree this season is slowing down almost to the point of "is that a snail overtaking us?"

Yeah i know we have been spoiled with previous episodes that were really fast paced and full of suspense but the main plot arc has stalled.

The whole BSG thing is about the search for Earth whilst battling the Cylons in a desperate attempt to survive.

I was looking forward to "Scar" because it reminded me of the Space Above and Beyond episode "The Angriest Angel"

But the confrontation between Scar and Starbuck was very limited and it was hard to get involved unlike other episodes.

It's a shame they dropped the episode focusing on the Cylon culture as this would have helped the story along nicely.

Lets hope they haven't been watching too much Lost and start doing flashbacks for 90% of an episode.

efeatherston

[29]Feb 6, 2006
    • level: 3
    I thought the reciting of the names at the end was a nice way to do it. Did anyone catch the small homage to the original in the list? One of the names was Jollie(sp?). I remember him in the original series, viper pilot, a little on the rotund side.

FrakkingFrakker

[30]Feb 6, 2006
    • level: 28
    Yes, I thought the Jolly allusion was nice. I had remembered most of the names of the BSG03 pilots...and Jolly stood out because it was like..."one of these things is not like the other"...and then it hit me, and I smiled. Good work.

jeva1287

[31]Feb 6, 2006
    This episode was such a good episode when compared to the last two. I find that episode is a lot better if you close your eyes during the drumroll.

The Kara/Lee thing was such a surprise, the way it was done I mean (we all knew where it headed).

The animators really brought Scar to life, they kinda made him seem like Cujo. I agree with who ever said it first, that Scar is the the ship Starbuck gutted.

I really wanted Kat to get her ass kicked by Starbuck or Scar, knock her in her place. I mean Starbuck out-ranks her, she shouldn't be allowed to act that way, even if what she says is the truth.

Was I the only one who expected her to say Boomer's name in the roster of the dead?

P.S. Sorry for this incoherent mesh, recently had a Quentin Tarantino marathon and I haven't been able think in a logical order since.

port5170

[32]Feb 6, 2006
    • level: 12
    great episode Katee, and really the entire cast was really good in this one,I loved the whole concept of Scar, I wish this show would win some awards.. Sackhoff in particular deserves one

Parae434

[33]Feb 6, 2006
    Word to that port

I don't know why, but something really appeals to me in a story structured with the protagonist's fall from grace. And let's be honest, Starbuck was in a downward spiral if there ever was one. She was wrong about things, she wasn't keeping up, she was getting out done, she was alienating her friends and she was mouring a dead guy (that part really pissed her off). Her life was falling apart. And then when she could do the one thing to put her back on top she lets someone else get the credit and get's no recognition in return.

What else can I say, love it.

trackstarbuck

[34]Feb 6, 2006
    port5170 wrote:
    great episode Katee, and really the entire cast was really good in this one,I loved the whole concept of Scar, I wish this show would win some awards.. Sackhoff in particular deserves one

horrah! three cheers!

BattlestarQ

[35]Feb 6, 2006
    • level: 8
    well trackstarbuck when i saw ports comment i knew you would love that lol.

Kounji

[36]Feb 9, 2006
    • level: 2
    Parae434 wrote:
    Yeah, well, if you do get around to watching the episode then (ominous voice) all will be revealed.

Some thoughts on the episode:

They really didn't do a good job of setting up exactly how hard Kara was broken up about Anders. She left him in episode 5 and since then (10 episodes later)all we've heard was a comment from Cain, and her acting down in Home. I just would have liked it if there was more of build up. Same with the alcaholism

Besides that I have to say that this episode was very well done. Although, for the second week in a row they've played with the time structure, its fun if used sparingly (re: not how Alias does stuff).

Kat riding Starbuck-- I have to say that it was well played out. Kat was good at being a b*tch, but each time she kind of had a point (like Cain in Pegasus). Loved Starbuck's eventual selflessnes of letting Kat take out Scar, tho Kat should have given Starbuch some credit for it.

I cringed when Starbuck and Apollo startd going at it, but it ended being really interesting and not at all typical. The end when starbuck slaps him and then kisses him: amazing. THe best part is that it still leaves room for all the angst that they have around each other (dont think too much of thier dynamic will change) Although Anders getting in the way of Starbuck and Apollo? Grrr.

THe end with Starbuck reciting everyone's name was great, especially in light of how she told Apollo that she couldn't remember their names. I half expected her to clock kat or something, but the girl has got some class.

Sorry that this is long, but I guess I liked this episode more than I thought.

Final thought (i promise): who thinks that Scar is the resurected raider that Starbuck tamed season one?

There was some impling that it was the same raider that fought starbuck in the first season. For my fanboy giddiness I'm going to say that it was.

I've really liked the cat character so far. She's pretty much picking up where starbuck left off. Here is starbuck now with all this responsibiility now that pilots keep getting wasted and she's planning ops now. Then she has a pilot essentially calling her operations **** I love it cause she's getting exactly what she deserved.

As for the alchoholism there is a very small mentioning of it. If you watch the beginning of the episode epiphaneis

They were flying a cap at the very beginning right before kat's weapon malfunction
    Kat says safe and 20 fracking minutes late, did you have rough last night

Star bucks says you're way out of line, just follow my lead and save the attitude for someone who cares.

She was riding her already about issues. So it was starting around this time.

As far as starbuck and apollo I think they're going to play with us on that until the end of the series this episode made me realize that.

Beyond all that the episode produced one of my favorite moments of the entire series, when they finally took out scar. Just Kat's enthusiasm at killing scar was awesome...

Kat: Whooooooooooo Whoooooooooooo WHooooooooooo and that's the way its done! Let go home Skipper.

A very cute moment

port5170

[37]Feb 9, 2006
    • level: 12
    BattlestarQ wrote:

glad people agree this show is great and she is very under appreciated as far as main stream awards.. and she is more deserving than alot of people who win..

trackstarbuck

[38]Feb 10, 2006
    port5170 wrote:
    BattlestarQ wrote:

glad people agree this show is great and she is very under appreciated as far as main stream awards.. and she is more deserving than alot of people who win..

yes i do luv it! katee is awsome!

123home123

[39]Feb 13, 2006
    • level: 55
    bofh5 wrote:
    It's a shame they dropped the episode focusing on the Cylon culture as this would have helped the story along nicely.

It is a common and widespread misunderstanding that the Cylon-themed episode was dropped. It is, in fact, still on the schedule. "Downloaded" is coming up next week, after "The Captain's Hand."

123home123

[40]Feb 13, 2006
    • level: 55
    I finally got around to watching the episode on the DVR. I liked it. We got a feel for the day-to-day life of the Viper pilots. It was portrayed in a realistic manner and at times, I almost felt like I was watching a modern story about real-life combat pilots in wartime or frontline soldiers. Starbuck's speech about the "bright, shiny future" and never seeing Earth really summed up why the Viper pilots are under such stress. It is almost like a gradual form of suicide, because many of them will die, sooner or later, in combat.

Kara's recitation of the names of all the deceased soldiers and pilots at the end was another nice touch. It confirmed that she really does take to heart every death, despite her wild and seemingly carefree exterior.

Nice to see more of Kat in this episode, especially in a more substantive role. She hasn't had that many scenes except for battle sequences and Viper flight shots.

I agree that the writers may be using the flashback technique a little too often. Once in a while is OK, but not every week.

All in all, a very good episode.