Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Episode 2-16 "Sacrifice" (spoilers)

123home123

[1]Feb 7, 2006
    • level: 55
    This episode focuses on Sharon's role on the Galactica.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Asharak2

[2]Feb 9, 2006
    • level: 4
    To some degree, but i doesn't sound like she has that many scenes in the episode.

Asharak2

[3]Feb 9, 2006
    it

port5170

[4]Feb 9, 2006
    • level: 12
    hopefully some answers this week looking forward to it..

FanWriter

[5]Feb 10, 2006
    • level: 7
    Great episode. I cant believe it ended like that.

FrakkingFrakker

[6]Feb 10, 2006
    • level: 28
    I'm still processing this.

I suppose no one is safe on television anymore.

I sometimes convince my sister to watch with me, she often falls asleep. The point is she's relatively clueless about the show...despite the fact that I'm really trying to get her to "drink the kool-aid." But the thing is this, she even missed most of the episode tonight, yet she knew something major had happened. That's probably about the fastest I've gotten to an upright position from laying down on the couch.

I had a feeling the episode title would mean something like that. It was just a surprise as to who the episode title refered to.

wow. S'all I'm saying.

Wedo765

[7]Feb 10, 2006
    • level: 10
    That sucks he was one of my favorite non important charactors, and does anybody else think that Apollo and Dee is a terrible idea, and I don't know just off?

Parae434

[8]Feb 11, 2006
    • level: 9
    *Curls self up into fetal position*

*Cries self to sleep*

quazy_qual

[9]Feb 11, 2006
    • level: 12
    Bills was the man, that really makes me angry.

marvelfan89

[10]Feb 11, 2006
    • level: 39
    Ah, good riddens to Billie I never liked him always sucking up to Madam President (another egomaniac), I wish they would have gotten rid of her too, it’s enough to stomach
    Adama’s character every week. What an amazing performance by Dana Delaney as Sesha Abinell. First Michelle Forbes, another great actress now Dana. I’am amazed how
    they cast these first rate actresses. The ending was a copout as always and anybody could
    see it a mile away as Adama never follows through with his promises. However, interesting points being pointed out.

Whose playing who? Is the Cylon Sharon playing the fleet or is she really helping them?
    Tigh and Adama’s conversation was a highlight here….”she’s not Sharon, she’s a Cylon”, …..Tigh: “What if they’re right”.

Even Adama was unsure of the matter till the very end. It’s hilarious that Madame President called them Sesha’s crew “terrorists” when in fact they really weren’t, at least Adama saw where she was coming for a brief second. Dana did a great job here of playing of the character to get understanding and sympathy. If she really some crazy terrorist, safe to say all those hostages be dead from the get go and there really would be no need for negotiations, and Lee be dead. No Sesha in my opinion was just a grieving widow who was trying to deal with it, in her own way. It’s too bad she died.

Freeman79

[11]Feb 11, 2006
    • level: 11
    So Billy dies. WOW never saw that one coming. And then Lee and Dee. Wow she really gets around. This episode wasn't so good. Not one of the best anyway. But maybe a plot twister and Billy is a Cylon human. Who knows, right?

heavensblade

[12]Feb 11, 2006
    • level: 8
    marvelfan89 wrote:
    The ending was a copout as always and anybody could see it a mile away as Adama never follows through with his promises. However, interesting points being pointed out.

I agree with most of your points, especially the one quoted above. However, I really enjoyed this episode. The best episode in a while for me. Too bad about Billy though, at least he got the chance to be assertive and died a hero.

marvelfan89 wrote:
    It’s hilarious that Madame President called them Sesha’s crew “terrorists” when in fact they really weren’t, at least Adama saw where she was coming for a brief second.

Err, this statement is wrong, she was the definition of a terrorist. She was threatening the use of unlawful violence against the hostages with the intention of coercing the military to capitulate to her demands. Sound like a terrorist to me.
    Edited on 02/11/2006 8:48am

Parae434

[13]Feb 11, 2006
    Also I have to give big kudos to sci fi for not playing up "and one of these characters...ISN'T...GOING...TO...MAKE...IT!" I hate it when networks do it, it almost completely ruin the surprise. I mean, when Dualla went over to Billy and you could tell he was dead i was screaming at the tv "what?! Billy can't be dead! They can't kill billy!" instead of "Yeah, i knew it was going to be billy all along *smirk* if they were going to kill someone."

MAFfilms13

[14]Feb 11, 2006
    • level: 6
    good point. and at the sametime when other shows do that they always kill off a new guy. Battlestar whacks an original.

Redbird89

[15]Feb 11, 2006
    • level: 7
    I loved this episode. I can't belive Billy died, I really liked his character. I remember someone saying that Roselyn thought he had a bright future to become a good president. Now he's dead By the way, I am a big Lee and Dee fan, I hope they get together.

marvelfan89

[16]Feb 11, 2006
    heavensblade wrote:

Err, this statement is wrong, she was the definition of a terrorist. She was threatening the use of unlawful violence against the hostages with the intention of coercing the military to capitulate to her demands. Sound like a terrorist to me.

It's a thin line some people might say what Adama is doing is harboring a terrorist (Sharon, Cylon) and engaging in terrorist activity. The hostages were merely a pawn for Sesha, I don’t really think
    she intended to kill them. Take a look at her actions from the beginning, basically she spends
    the bulk of the episode thinking about her dead husband. Remember Adama clearly has issues about whether Cylon Sharon was "playing" him. I don’t know about Billy dying a hero, in my opinion he committed suicide. His actions clearly would not have made a difference since rescue team was already boarding, and when you go back to the earlier footage when that girl broke up with him, that’s something that was setting up his demise as that was really eating him up. It’s a great episode I’ll agree just nothing surprised me here, except that talk with Adama and Sharon.
    Edited on 02/11/2006 1:44pm

fcjd06

[17]Feb 11, 2006
    marvelfan89 wrote:

. . .I don’t know about Billy dying a hero,
    in my opinion he committed suicide. His actions clearly would not have made a difference since [the] rescue team was already boarding . . .

The terrorists were about to execute Dee. Billy was a hero because his action bought the precious few seconds that saved her. If Billy did nothing, the marines would have stormed the lounge after she was killed.

Parae434

[18]Feb 11, 2006
    Terrorist: one who engages in terrorism

Terrorism (n): The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

You don't have to intend to kill people to be a terrorist. If you play with fire, your going to get burned.

marvelfan89

[19]Feb 11, 2006
    Parae434 wrote:
    Terrorist: one who engages in terrorism

Terrorism (n): The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

You don't have to intend to kill people to be a terrorist. If you play with fire, your going to get burned.

Aye and harboring a terrorist for your own agenda would also be considered an act of terrorism particulary
    if you quite don't know if that terrorist is feeding you good or bad information. Typically what “terrorists” want is 1) The release of another terrorist to carry their agendas, 2) money 3) The deliberate attempt to attack a civilian population with a terrorist attack like 9/11. Clearly none of those matters really play a role here In this scenario, the group wanted to bring a known criminal whose engaged in conspiring
    with an enemy that has to the deaths of thousands of people to be brought to justice. No one would
    consider that a terrorist action, one would consider that a radical action. The use of hostages
    of however, blurs that line from a radical to a terrorist action. The line is further blurred when one
    government or military group harbors a terrorist. That’s why I say it’s a thin line, you can really
    condemn one group when your own group does the same thing. It’s an opinion you can agree
    or disagree but it doesn’t make it right or wrong.

Edited on 02/11/2006 2:09pm

Parae434

[20]Feb 11, 2006
    marvelfan89 wrote:

Aye and harboring a terrorist for your own agenda would also be considered an act of terrorism particulary
    if you quite don't know if that terrorist is feeding you good or bad information.

See, here is where I think you are mistaken. Following that line of logic any government or whoever who has a prisoner in custody who gives information would be a terrorist. Also, I don't think "harboring" is the correct term for what they are doing to Sharon. While it is accurate in describing, that yes, they are giving her shelter, it does not cover her situation to the fullest extent. She is in a cell, she has been stripped of many freedomes, except for basic food, medicine and talking with the father of her child. She is a prisoner. Granted, yes, they are taking a calculated risk with the information she has given them. Although we do not know what her endgame is, or even if she has one, you cannot deny that she has come in handy and saved their butts (Miers on Kobol, taking care of the virus effecting the ship etc.). Adama's agenda is the same agenda as most others: Get to saftey, and save humanity. If his goals included crap like gaining money, power and other frivolties then you would have a point, but as far as we know Adama's goals are nobel.

marvelfan89 wrote:
    In this scenario, the group wanted to bring a known criminal whose engaged in conspiring
    with an enemy that has to the deaths of thousands of people to be brought to justice. No one would
    consider that a terrorist action, one would consider that a radical action.

A group of people that are not part of the military or government. This is akin to condoning lynch mobs. Its saying that anyone has to right to dispense "justice" as they see fit. Say in today's soceity person A murders person B's husbad. Person A is sent to jail, but person B thinks that life in prison does not constitute justice, the only thing that will satisfy B is if A is put to death. Are you willing to say that person B has any right to take hostages, or storm the prison to get their definition of justice?

On an aside, we really don't know to what extent this Sharon played in the apocalypse. She may have helped planned it, she may have known of it or she may have been "created" afterward...so I'm not sure any of us really knows what she deserves.

marvelfan89 wrote:
    The use of hostages of however, blurs that line from a radical to a terrorist action.

It does not blur the line, it blatently crosses it.

marvelfan89 wrote:
    The line is further blurred when one
    government or military group harbors a terrorist.
    That’s why I say it’s a thin line, you can really
    condemn one group when your own group does the same thing.

I addressed part of this issue above. And i don't think that you can compare violently taking hostages knowing full well that it can, and probably will end with innocent lives being taken with anything that Adama has ever done.