Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Episode 2-16 "Sacrifice" (spoilers)

Wedo765

[41]Feb 12, 2006
    • level: 10
    I actually thought both "Black Market" and "Sacrifice" where great episodes in terms of showing how the civilians are handleing there exile, it seemed since teh beginning of the show we've seen the military, but these two episodes make it clear that the civilains are privy to everything we see on Galactica, and that when people are uninformed they resort to stupidity like thinking they can make peace with the Cylons, or believe that Boomer is the biggest threat rather then an asset, at the moment anyway,
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Parae434

[42]Feb 12, 2006
    • level: 9
    Actually, I would have really liked to see Dana Delaney's character and the "peace" movement guy get thrown in the same room together. That would have killed two birds with one stone.

marvelfan89

[43]Feb 12, 2006
    • level: 39
    Dana Delaney is still hot...yeah.

ventalator

[44]Feb 12, 2006
    • level: 1
    jadachris93 wrote:

If you understand what makes BSG different from the other sci fi shows, then you know that's it's not just about a "star war" between Cylons and humans.
    BSG is about many other things like survival, faith, hope, love, jealousy, envy, treason, pain, fear, joy... it's about being human.
    That's why the last episodes weren't out of the line : they showed great insights, developpement and interaction between the characters.
    And if you can't appreciate that, that means you didn't quite understand the show

Yes i agree, that's why i like the show so much, however as i said, these last couple eps have just seemed a little off to me, we've seen those same type of story lines before in other shows so i guess they didn't really make that much of an impact into the BSG story/image for me.

I've been wondering if they're going to put Ellen Tigh in a position to frack up the fleet - as in she has to withold information or perform some type of vital action but she would just give up and let the bad guys win. Obviously seeing her willingness to have sex with Apollo in the bathroom demonstrates that she has been committing similar acts and it could be building up that she's been sleeping with the "wrong crowd" and will be taken advantage of...or she takes what ever advantage she can get out of them

BTW i'm suprised that Admiral Adama acted so calm after hearing the news that starbuck may have killed BOTH his sons.
    What sort of repercussions could this bring about after he has a little more time to think about it?

Parae434

[45]Feb 12, 2006
    The first time i saw Ellen in "Tigh me up Tigh me down" i just wanted to slap her-- she is so annoying. It takes something special to write, and act, a character that just gets sooooooo under your skin. That being said: somebody PLEASE gag her!

FrakkingFrakker

[46]Feb 12, 2006
    • level: 28
    ventalator wrote:

BTW i'm suprised that Admiral Adama acted so calm after hearing the news that starbuck may have killed BOTH his sons.
    What sort of repercussions could this bring about after he has a little more time to think about it?

For me it's not the calmness of Adama. It's the fact that...well, okay, I'm not sure what it is, but when it happened, I knew that was an important moment. I'm keen to see how it plays out.

Im2Crazy4U

[47]Feb 13, 2006
    • level: 51
    I just saw the episode.

I do have to agree I don't see why Billy had to die. I don't think Lee should be with Dee. Adama should have sent the calvary in as soon as shots were fired.

I see a lot people b!tching and whining in this thread about the quality of the season. Why are so many of you shocked that this season is different than the first. Season 1 was about survival. Season 2 is about life on the edge and civil wars that usually start in these situations.

I'm quite enjoying this season as something totally different that last season. I have no problem with the writers suddenly throwing in back stories as there is only so much time per episode, and a ton of characters in this show.

If you don't like this season, have you thought about not watching it?

Dubius_Status

[48]Feb 13, 2006
    • level: 4
    Im2Crazy4U wrote:
    I just saw the episode.
    I see a lot people b!tching and whining in this thread about the quality of the season. Why are so many of you shocked that this season is different than the first. Season 1 was about survival. Season 2 is about life on the edge and civil wars that usually start in these situations.

Considering how strong the first season was, we do have an expectation that the quality of episodes should remain constant. The complaints are not about the different tone, they are about how the writers are getting a little sloppy.

Im2Crazy4U wrote:
    I'm quite enjoying this season as something totally different that last season. I have no problem with the writers suddenly throwing in back stories as there is only so much time per episode, and a ton of characters in this show.

Now you're making excuses on their account. Back in the miniseries, the writers planted story seeds that paid off much, much later. That showed they had a sense of plot, direction and foreshadowing; these elements are all very important in maintaining a solid dramatic structure, making BSG a successful and above-average show.

But now they are presenting us with story threads affecting major characters without basic story buildup, without so much as a hint of such elements in any of the previous episodes. It's as if they are running out of ideas, and desperate to come up with new ones. Lee's case is a prime example.

I don't buy the 'there's only so much time per episode' argument. If you plan your season carefully, you can built up several story arcs at once. They did it a lot in the first season -- why are they suddently resorting to quick fixes?

Im2Crazy4U wrote:
    If you don't like this season, have you thought about not watching it?

No offense, but this is a forum where all opinions can and should be expressed. I'm a loyal fan, but if I see what I consider to be sub-standard episodes, I'm not going to remain silent.
    Edited on 02/13/2006 7:40pm

Parae434

[49]Feb 13, 2006
    Some thoughts on rewatching the episode:

I don't like Dualla even more. Especially because in this episode Billy kicked some major a and then she plays him like that. That is low. A guy proposes and doesn't know that the girl is openly dating someone else. Poor guy, but he did go out a hero, he bought enough time to save Dualla's life

MM made me cry...again.

Starbuck, starbuck. How much ass can you kick? yeah, i know she shot Apollo, but that really was more his fault in the sense that he ran in front of her bullet. Just remembering that in the X files Scully shot Mulder and it was brought up maybe once after. I loved her at the end watching Apollo and Dualla. Ha! even now, after all of this, Dee still doesnt even have half the emotional baggage of Starbuck. I mean they both have the dead finacee/almost fiancee, and both of those were partially their fault. But our gal Starbuck has a likely dead boyfriend AND after royaly fracking things up with Apollo shoots him. Beautiful! Poetry!

I want to put Starbuck and Dualla alone together in a room and see what happens.

FrakkingFrakker

[50]Feb 13, 2006
    Hmm.. Starbuck and Dualla in a room?...

123home123

[51]Feb 13, 2006
    • level: 55
    I just watched the episode tonight on the DVR. It was pretty good. I really thought Sharon was going to be the "Sacrifice." I noticed that Grace Park had disappeared from the cast list on the guide, so that seemed to confirm my suspicion that Sharon would die. Alas, I didn't see Billy's death coming until the very end. As others mentioned before, Sci Fi did a great job by not hyping up a character's death in the previews.

It would be more appropriate if Jim Callis and Tricia Helfer disappeared from the cast list on the guide here. Where have they disappeared to lately?

trackstarbuck

[52]Feb 14, 2006
    kara didn`t kill zach directly! she luved him!

trackstarbuck

[53]Feb 14, 2006
    FrakkingFrakker wrote:
    Hmm.. Starbuck and Dualla in a room?...

see yah Dee

trackstarbuck

[54]Feb 14, 2006
    Parae434 wrote:
    Some thoughts on rewatching the episode:

I don't like Dualla even more. Especially because in this episode Billy kicked some major a and then she plays him like that. That is low. A guy proposes and doesn't know that the girl is openly dating someone else. Poor guy, but he did go out a hero, he bought enough time to save Dualla's life

MM made me cry...again.

Starbuck, starbuck. How much ass can you kick? yeah, i know she shot Apollo, but that really was more his fault in the sense that he ran in front of her bullet. Just remembering that in the X files Scully shot Mulder and it was brought up maybe once after. of this, Dee still doesnt even have half the emotional baI loved her at the end watching Apollo and Dualla. Ha! even now, after allggage of Starbuck. I mean they both have the dead finacee/almost fiancee, and both of those were partially their fault. But our gal Starbuck has a likely dead boyfriend AND after royaly fracking things up with Apollo shoots him. Beautiful! Poetry!

I want to put Starbuck and Dualla alone together in a room and see what happens.

starbuck is just better.....than everyone. she`s strongest by just being here. i mean look at her life.....

jeva1287

[55]Feb 15, 2006
    Parae434 wrote:
    Just remembering that in the X files Scully shot Mulder and it was brought up maybe once after.

The difference here is that Scully shot Mulder on purpose, both times (if you count the episode with the ghosts), and Starbuck did it accidentally. I think that being said I don't know if the shooting incedent will be directly referred to again but there will definitely be some new tension in there relationship.
    That being said, I'd like to make another comparison between Mulder & Scully and Starbuck & Apollo, at least it didn't take them (S&A) 7 years, but I'll be damned if there wasn't a bee involved in preventing them from getting it on. jk

Parae434

[56]Feb 15, 2006
    The real difference btw the two couples is that when Starbuck and Apollo FINALLY get together it won't ruin the show.

As another aside, IMO i'd rather accidentally shoot someone than intentially shoot them to stop them from shooting Krycek. yeah, they'll def bring that up again because of the whole angsty thing, and they will(the show is normally great on continuity), I just brought up the m&S thing because it reminded me of it.

Dubius_Status

[57]Feb 16, 2006
    • level: 4
    God, what if Baltar shoots Starbuck accidentally, then refuses to inform Roslin and the Press for the next 24 hours?? Season finale, anyone?

Parae434

[58]Feb 16, 2006
    Huh?

FrakkingFrakker

[59]Feb 16, 2006
    Nice work Dubius. We all know how BSG likes to be topical.

DoctorElect

[60]Feb 16, 2006
    • level: 7
    Dubius_Status wrote:
    God, what if Baltar shoots Starbuck accidentally, then refuses to inform Roslin and the Press for the next 24 hours?? Season finale, anyone?

Then the Press will completely obssess over it. Apparently a hunting accident is more important than murder, war, sex, and more sex(all news on any major network today can be traced back to these sources).