We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Episode 2-20 "Lay Down Your Burdens, Part 2" discussion (spoilers)

wedgeantilles54

[21]Mar 11, 2006
    • level: 12
    All i have to say is that this whole epsidoe was insane
    but it was interesting
    When i first saw the one year later thing i thought that
    can't be right
    Its kinda sad seeing Galactica and Pegasus that undercrewed but that is probably Baltar's fault in someway

did anyone else notice that Admiral Adama at the end looked like he did in the episode witht the flash backs (Can't remember which one right now)

They might be trying to make Baltar more like the one in the orginal seresis now for some reason

I can't help but wounder was this change all preperation for a move of the show to NBC at somepoint durring the thrid season

We shall see soon enough
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Finalsequel

[22]Mar 11, 2006
    • level: 30
    I thought it was a great episode. The only thing that bugged me was how they skipped a whole year. We missed so much,but that can always be explained through backstory. Adama & and the fleet leaving surprised me, I also thought he would be gearing up for an attack. Let the countdown for Season 3 begin!

jeva1287

[23]Mar 11, 2006
    • level: 9
    After watching last night's BSG the only thought that ran though my head was "what the f**k" (actually I think I yelled it at the T.V.). I mean how can they do that to us? And no more episodes till October!!!! God, I'm gonna go nuts. There were a few things I really liked but most of the end just flat out confused me. Because I don't really like to be negative I'll start off with the stuff I liked.
    -Dean Stockwell was amaizing, I think that was the only thing other than Quantnum Leap that I've ever seen him in, and I think that him being a cylon kinda dispoves the theory that all cylons are young and look realy fashonable.
    -Cally talking with a broken jaw, kudos to Nicki Clyne for pulling that one off.
    -The Cloud Nine explosion was done extremely well, I love how a chunk of dubris knocked out the camera and you see the cracked lense
    -The sceene with Kara and Anders making out infront of Lee was very akward although it did make me giggle.
    -There is one question that I had that noone asked yet, why was Leoben (I think thats who that was)looking for Starbuck specificaly?
    Well there's so much written here so I'm not gonna bother with the stuff I didn't like.

briantw

[24]Mar 11, 2006
    • level: 8
    Yeah it was kind of fun to see Cally and Tyrol getting together. It kind of showed some growth in Tyrol's character, since he finally got over Sharon and moved on. It was also pretty obvious that they had some chemistry in the scene where he apologized to her about the broken jaw and she instantly forgave him.

I think that Leobon was looking for Starbuck because of the connection they shared earlier in the show when she grew attached to him during an interrogation. If you remember she put her hand up against his on the glass between them right before Roslin had him put out the airlock. There was definitely something between them that he obviously never got over. I am, of course, assuming that the Leobon in Starbuck's tent was that same Leobon, but if it wasn't I don't see how he would or could even know Starbuck.

Finally, I don't think that they were making any changes to make the show more friendly for an NBC audience (if the rumors of the move are even true). Really, the safest thing to do if they were moving to a network would be to NOT drastically change the circumstances of the characters and dramatically effect the plot. If you watch many network shows, you'll notice that most of them have little if anything to do with the episodes before them. There are, naturally, a few exceptions, such as Lost (to an extent), 24, and Alias, but those three shows certainly don't represent network television as a whole. Those shows also typically don't have HUGE plot changes within a single episode, as we clearly saw in last nights BSG. If anything, it almost seems like Moore is trying to get away from some of the crappier mid-season episodes that were self-contained by doing something radical and completely unexpected with the plot.

That said, I'm still not sure why the Cylons, who were supposedly going their seperate ways, decided to come to New Caprica and enslave humanity. It could be because Six finally wanted to reunite with Baltar, and this was really the only way she could do it. Sharon also has reason to go back, although she really has no idea about the changes the Chief has gone through since she died. I guess that's what we'll have to wait until next season to find out, though.

Wylie_Times

[25]Mar 11, 2006
    • level: 14
    Motherfrak! What a frakkin' episode!

Is there any other show out there that can so skillfully swipe the carpet from under the viewer's feet? At time jump of one year is either insane or brilliant on the writers part. Probably both. One thing is sure, the show will be different from now on.

Man, now we're gonna have to wait till frakkin' october. That's totally frakked up!!!

Hopefully the rest of s2 gets released on DVD soon. I wanna watch the frakkin' thing again.

heavensblade

[26]Mar 11, 2006
    I don't know how I feel about this episode. It was a bit slow and boring pace-wise but it did forward the story quite a bit. The ending seemed wierd to me, why would the cylons decide to go their own way from humanity but then search for them again and then occupy New Caprica? What is the point of that? Also what happened to 'Baby' Boomer? Is she still in the brig on Galactica? I just don't feel satisfied with this season's conclusion. Maybe it'll make more sense if I watch it again.

DocMartigan

[27]Mar 11, 2006
    • level: 5
    After thinking about it again, I do have a few problems.

The last half hour felt super rushed. And they didn't even explain a lot of things.

I would have much preferred the election to have taken 30 minutes, and then have an hour of the "one year later" stuff.

Obaida

[28]Mar 11, 2006
    Interesting episode...

I guess I'll have to reserve final judgement until I see where they're taking the series. I was wondering if anyone knows the identity of the man (or Cylon) who walked in on Anders and asked "I'm looking for Kara Thrace." The way he's blurred and then comes into focus it seems like were supposed to know who he is, but I can't remember seeing him before. Am I missing something obvious here?

DocMartigan

[29]Mar 11, 2006
    He is Leoben Conoy.

The Cylon they found on Ragnar. He and Adama got cut off and had it out.

He was also in the series. He was captured and tortured by Starbuck and shot out of an airlock. Starbuck and him made a "connection" of sorts.

sunnyr

[30]Mar 11, 2006
    All i gatta say is that this is the best episode ever, totally changes everything and makes the writers more free to tell new stories

FrakkingFrakker

[31]Mar 11, 2006
    • level: 28
    I'm still on the fence as to whether this was genius or insanity. There's a really fine line, and in my opinion they're walking it. (As to how well they're walking it...anyone's guess.)

The Leobon question is my main one. Why him? Why is he looking for Starbuck and what does that have to do with anything? (though, let's be honest, wouldn't it have been more surprising to those of us in the know if they had ommited his name from the guest star list at the beginning?)

Also...Tom Zarek not appearing in the year later segment puzzled me. I suppose it's rampant assumption that he would stick with Baltar. I just...I was partially afraid he was on Cloud Nine. Now, I know he's not been getting a lot A story time, but he's a key recurring character who hasn't earned his redemption yet. (sorry, going off on a tangent.)

There are a host of other questions and concerns I have....and very few of them are about the future for the series. Frankly I'm less concerned about that. This is a re-set button that changed the show entirely. If I ever decide that I liked the episode, then maybe I'll decide if I'm going to continue watching it. right now...I'm just not sure.

briantw

[32]Mar 11, 2006
    heavensblade wrote:
    I don't know how I feel about this episode. It was a bit slow and boring pace-wise but it did forward the story quite a bit. The ending seemed wierd to me, why would the cylons decide to go their own way from humanity but then search for them again and then occupy New Caprica? What is the point of that? Also what happened to 'Baby' Boomer? Is she still in the brig on Galactica? I just don't feel satisfied with this season's conclusion. Maybe it'll make more sense if I watch it again.

Good questions there. I can only assume that we'll find out what happened to Boomer in the beginning of the third season. In retrospect, her situation was probably a lot less important than that of most of the other characters whose situations changed drastically (the Chief, Starbuck, Tigh, etc.). She probably is still in the brig, though, wasting away and not caring.

The big question, though, that has been asked by many, is your whole "why did the Cylons come back" deal. My guess is that, while Sharon and Six did carry a lot of influence following their successful missions, that influence likely didn't last forever. It's been some time since the Cylons decided to vacate Caprica, and there's a good chance that other human-Cylon hybrids began to swing things in different directions (particularly Lucy Lawless's character, who definitely wouldn't have supported peace).

The whole Cylon society seems to be much more of a Communist type of government, where each individual is on a sort of equal playing field, and some of the Cylons may not have liked that there were two individuals that held so much sway. As I've said above, perhaps enslaving humanity (instead of outright annihilating what was left) was the best that Sharon and Six could convince the rest of the Cylons to do, which is what we saw at the end of the finale.

Regardless of what's right and wrong about what I've written above, the writers are going to have a LOT of explaining to do next season, but I have faith that they'll do it right.

CassieForgen

[33]Mar 11, 2006
    • level: 6
    Why is it that every time a movie or tv show wants to show the passage of time at least one character grows a mustache?

I thought that the one year stuff was a dream until the subtitle came up. I really liked that Starbuch hugged Tigh, it was so sweet. I like how alot of things come full circle like Galactica being almost out of use like it was in the beginning. I like that the fleet jumped, Adam's last line was a big promise for season 3 "But we'll be back." Yayy!
    Dee and Lee are cute, is she his XO?
    Why do the cylons want Starbuck? What happened to Zerek?

briantw

[34]Mar 11, 2006
    It wasn't the Cylons who wanted Starbuck. It was Leobon. If you recall, they shared something a while back on the show when Starbuck was tasked with interrogating him. That was one of the first times on the show that a human knowingly grew attached to a Cylon and realized that they are not that far removed from humans.

scarlett_fever

[35]Mar 11, 2006
    • level: 19
    The "One Year Later" thing did kinda bother me because now I feel so lost!

Like what happened between Starbuck and Lee? It couldn't have just been "they drifted apart" I think something major happened that caused their friendship to crumble but hey what do I know?

Poor Baltar. That is all I can say about him. I just pity him now. He may have been a little insane and weasely before but now he is just a pathetic, pill-popping womanizer. The nuclear explosion must have really hit him hard.

What's the deal with Helo and Sharon? Is she still on the ship? Did Helo finally give up even though he yelled that he loved her and wasn't going to give her up?

So many questions and to wait until October! I hope they do some flashbacks to explain some of these things. And didn't everyone love that in order to remind everyone that it was a year later they all looked different. Adama with the 'stache. Starbuck and Lee's hair was different. Ok, I get it, it's a year later. It just kinda made me laugh.

Gateguy56

[36]Mar 11, 2006
    Season Three is going to be CRAZY!!!!

I really enjoyed watching this episode, but the whole "one year later" thing really confused me.

I did like how everyone's lives in the settlement were worse than living on the ships.

pinkslipper

[37]Mar 11, 2006
    • level: 7
    Yeah really ironic. The live in the settlement are much worser than live in space. Better running as a rabbit then sitting ducks.

I really liked BSG season 2. Can't wait for S3.

xbrax

[38]Mar 11, 2006
    • level: 10
    Very interesting episode, the series will take a completely different path from now on, and I'm looking forward to be part of the journey (or lack of one for the people on New Caprica).

I don't see why people are so surprised by the Cylon occupation, and their "change of heart"... Who knows if they ever where sincere about leaving the humans alone? Kind of a good tactic to make your enemy think you have quit the pursuit. The fleet didn't believe them, or else they would have gone back to original Caprica instead of the new one, where they thought they where hidden. 6 telling Baltar about how they found them, with the signatures of a nuclear explosion guiding them, made me think that they had known about the colonisation of New Caprica for some time, and made their move when the human fleet had been made vulnerable due to the loss of crew and so forth.

I liked the "one year later" jump. It showed what happened very quickly instead of wasting a whole season coming to this point, because that is how long it would have taken without the time leap. Sure, it raised allot of questions, but there is a new season coming up, and things will have to be explained then.

xbrax

[39]Mar 11, 2006
    • level: 10
    Oh, I forgot the biggest question of them all, that no one has yet discussed. Laura Roslins teacher's apprentice, or what I should call her, was the woman who adopted Boomers baby right? Her baby should now be more then a year old, why hasn't the baby grown more? Sure, it was very sick when it was born, and very small, but a one year old should be bigger than that, it should be learning to speak, and walk, or at least crawl, but it still looks like a baby. Why?

novGREEn-C

[40]Mar 11, 2006
    • level: 7
    Dee is with Lee. (What a neat couple they make with those names Wouldn't surprise me if Boomer is still on Galactica as Helo is.

Starbuck and Lee and where their tension came from? Well, do not forget about the nice "threesome-chat" they had in this episode. I am sure things got messed-up there already.

Caprica-Six and the "I am human"-Sharon: Who says they did want peace with humans. The most I know they wanted things to change. (The Cylon) God knows how ...! And even if they do. Who says they are not still carrying out their plan. I would not immediately reveal all my plans if I am surrounded by that many (other) cylons either.

Anyways, I love how this turned out to be and it always amazes me how a human mind can come up with such brilliant plots.

And be honest: Would have any of you had so much sadisfaction with this series going on with the "normal" run-and-hide action we have seen for two seasons now? This new terrain is simply entertaining to me.

I am just still lamenting with Billy beeing killed though. Sorry if getting off track, but he would have been the perfect guy to kick Baltar out of his office sometime in the future. I mean with all the things Roslin has done I would have my disklikes seeing her as a president again. Even though. It is possible in real life as well.

Thanks to the producers of this brilliant show, thanks to the readers here for taking my late night typing-BS.

Let it be fall soon ...

nov