Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Episode 2-20 "Lay Down Your Burdens, Part 2" discussion (spoilers)

fcjd06

[61]Mar 13, 2006
    • level: 4
    Jammet wrote:
    ...when those "Priest"-cylon models actually told Adama and Roslin that those models existed [Six & Eight] and have a lot of influence I take it all with more than a grain of salt. It is just another deception to lure the remaining humans into settling down. If you watch this model closely you'll notice.

...The Cabil/"Priest" Cylon may have been truthful because the Three in "Downloaded" also alluded to the influence the "war heroes" had in Cylon society. Nevertheless, these are very interesting thoughts.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

doofman2

[62]Mar 13, 2006
    • level: 16
    "Why is it that every time a movie or tv show wants to show the passage of time at least one character grows a mustache?"

I know this is a minor point, but I think that the mustache is more about Olmos than BSG or Adama the character. If I recall correctly, he had a mustache back in October when he announced the "Latino All-Time All-Stars," or whatever they called them, at Game 3 of the World Series in Houston. So the writers probably were thinking "let's shoot him with the mustache for fun" instead of "let's stick a fake 'stache on someone just for effect."

Just some food for thought

starwolf99

[63]Mar 13, 2006
    • level: 12
    This reminds me of the pilot for the original "Battlestar Galactica" series (1978 ) in which Baltar betrayed the humans to the Cylons in the hopes of having a planet (Caprica) to conquer himself. That Baltar failed in his goal. However, Gaius Baltar succeeded where he original counterpart failed. He betrayed the humans to the Cylons and became president governing New Caprica.
    Edited on 03/13/2006 1:45pm

Freeman79

[64]Mar 13, 2006
    • level: 11
    At least the "rebels" is no longer. They blew them self up with the nuke Baltar gave them. Ohh and by the way there you can see how devestaing it is when a nuke detonates inside a ship and not on the hull were nukes has been detonating on both Galactica and Pegasus.
    Edited on 03/13/2006 1:53pm

matrimdt

[65]Mar 13, 2006
    • level: 5
    It could very well be that a cylon civil war has reigned for the past year. The Aaron Doral model said they came upon them by happenstance. Possibly, they were reorganising their war effort at the time they discovered the humans.

DoctorElect

[66]Mar 13, 2006
    • level: 7
    Freeman79 wrote:
    At least the "rebels" is no longer. They blew them self up with the nuke Baltar gave them. Ohh and by the way there you can see how devestaing it is when a nuke detonates inside a ship and not on the hull were nukes has been detonating on both Galactica and Pegasus.

Not necessarily. They blew up the headquarters on Cloud Nine but there are still people throughout the fleet aligned with that group or who just believe in the same things.

jkmatrix

[67]Mar 13, 2006
    • level: 3
    isnt there anyone else questioning why Adama didnt take Roslin's word seriously that Baltar was working with the cylons? He said there was no proof. Did they need proof when they locked up the Chief before? Adama knew that Roslin's visions were real yet he didnt even suspect Baltar of having anything to do with warhead's detonation. he said it might have been stolen. what happened to adama? its like he was helpless to follow Baltar's orders. the only logical explanation for this is that he is in fact a cylon just like the other cylon, who predicted correctly that they will find Kobol and the map to earth, whispered to Roslin.

jkmatrix

[68]Mar 13, 2006
    fcjd06 wrote:
    volko wrote:
    ...Now that Fraking idiot is responsible for the second time for bringing down the human colonies, and still the Fraking idiot looked like he didn't care about the fact that the entire race was going to be enslaved, but the blonde woman. I really want to see him tortured badly right now. What a Fraking idiot, cause the human race to wipe out twice now!!!

I would also reserve some blame for the people that elected Baltar as President because by doing so, they chose to settle on New Caprica. In the end, however, I must add a note of concurrence with volko on the matter of Baltar: what a fraking idiot!

i've hated Baltar and his imaginary cylon from day 1. A lot of people have seen him talking to himself and acting crazy, and yet they see no danger to his insanity and they still elect him president. they should have institutionalized him a long time ago. they're all idiots if you ask me. by the way, does anyone know why cylon 6 also sees an imaginary Baltar?

jkmatrix

[69]Mar 13, 2006
    123home123 wrote:
    One more episode and we're back on hiatus again. Let's hope this season finale will be another shocker like last season's.

yes, it was shocking how disappointed i was.

Im2Crazy4U

[70]Mar 14, 2006
    • level: 51
    xbrax wrote:
    Oh, I forgot the biggest question of them all, that no one has yet discussed. Laura Roslins teacher's apprentice, or what I should call her, was the woman who adopted Boomers baby right? Her baby should now be more then a year old, why hasn't the baby grown more? Sure, it was very sick when it was born, and very small, but a one year old should be bigger than that, it should be learning to speak, and walk, or at least crawl, but it still looks like a baby. Why?

This has not been answered at all. I had the same thoughts, "that baby isn't yet 1 year old and yet it's over a year old". I thought the pregnancy was less than 9 months, which means the baby should continue to grow at a faster rate. Come on .. what's up with that?

I hate the 7 month delay. I liked the episodes. I like that there are questions since this feeds the next season.

DocMartigan

[71]Mar 14, 2006
    jkmatrix wrote:
    isnt there anyone else questioning why Adama didnt take Roslin's word seriously that Baltar was working with the cylons? He said there was no proof. Did they need proof when they locked up the Chief before? Adama knew that Roslin's visions were real yet he didnt even suspect Baltar of having anything to do with warhead's detonation. he said it might have been stolen. what happened to adama? its like he was helpless to follow Baltar's orders. the only logical explanation for this is that he is in fact a cylon just like the other cylon, who predicted correctly that they will find Kobol and the map to earth, whispered to Roslin.

Adama didn't need proof. I am pretty sure he believed her.

Be that as it may;

They needed proof to show to the public. If they were just to come out and say *on election day* "Baltar is a Cylon conspirator" and put him in the brig, it would be just a tad suspicious to the voters. It would look like Roslin and Adama basically staged a coup on the pretense of an unqualified rumor. The civilians were already getting more and more uneasy. There would most likely be a rebellion (no doubt led by Zarek). The fleet would split, etc, etc.

And I *really* don't think Adama believed the nuke was stolen. He was reporting the "facts" to Baltar, but to me, his tone said he knew exactly how the bomb got out of his lab and into the hands of the Cylons. But he was playing the good soldier, and following his orders.

emmaels26

[72]Mar 14, 2006
    • level: 10
    briantw wrote:
    Yeah I was pretty stunned when they did the whole "One Year Later" thing. That's a LOT of time to jump past. However, seeing as there weren't any Cylon attacks in that time, watching the whole year would likely have been pretty boring. I'm also pretty sure that Season Three will go back and explore some of that time lapse.

It was nice to have the instant gratification of seeing what became of the human settlement, though.

I'm hoping that it will explain why Lee is so angry at Kara.
    I watched it twice and couldn't work out why he was so angry, i did think that it was SPOILER

when she was drunk and she was a little mean about Dee, even though that wasn't enough for him to be THAT angry about, there has to be more, im sure, she helped kill his brother and Lee got over it, there MUST be something more.

emmaels26

[73]Mar 14, 2006
    [QUOTE="Kounji"]

What really saddenned me was how much apollo and starbuck had drifted away from each other during that time. Two best friends and perhaps something else losing touch with each other. QUOTE]

They did more then drift apart, there was anger, and Tigh said something like "oh it happened along time ago" something happened during the year, we just dont know what, please let me know if i'm wrong

emmaels26

[74]Mar 14, 2006
    scarlett_fever wrote:
    The "One Year Later" thing did kinda bother me because now I feel so lost!

Like what happened between Starbuck and Lee? It couldn't have just been "they drifted apart" I think something major happened that caused their friendship to crumble but hey what do I know?

No i agree something major had to have happened, because even Dee was funny with passing the phone over. They have both been through so much so something big must of happened for Lee to still be angry at Kara

DocMartigan

[75]Mar 14, 2006
    emmaels26 wrote:
    scarlett_fever wrote:
    The "One Year Later" thing did kinda bother me because now I feel so lost!

Like what happened between Starbuck and Lee? It couldn't have just been "they drifted apart" I think something major happened that caused their friendship to crumble but hey what do I know?

No i agree something major had to have happened, because even Dee was funny with passing the phone over. They have both been through so much so something big must of happened for Lee to still be angry at Kara

The whole "one year later" thing opened a lot of doors as far as flashbacks are concerned.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if next season, the series started during that "one year." Not where we left, with the Cylons invading. Or at least jumped around from Cylon occupation to how chief became labor president, more of him and Cally, Baltar making Adama stay on patrol, Adama and Lee not wanting their ships hald staffed, Kara and Lee getting into an end-all fight... etc etc. So much freaking material there. It's like a writers dream, lol.

This would also explain a lot of things... where is Zarek? What happened to the Brothers Cavil? Momma Sharon? Why did Gaeta decide to work for Baltar?

I would daresay, that at the moment... there is more interesting material in what happened prior to the end of the season than there is in the post cylon occupation timeline. I'd bet my first born that for a good while, the episodes will be half present day and half flashbacks.
    Edited on 03/14/2006 12:15pm

goodgirltv

[76]Mar 14, 2006
    • level: 11

Who was looking for Starbuck in her tent in the last few scenes of the episode? I didn't recognize him!

MAFfilms13

[77]Mar 14, 2006
    • level: 6
    goodgirltv wrote:

Who was looking for Starbuck in her tent in the last few scenes of the episode? I didn't recognize him!

A: The Cylons

I thought the one year leap was balls and brilliant. The problem with the original show was that it because formulaic, and that was in a much looser sci-fi format. There were a couple of eps that were already showing signs of a writing rut last season. By settling they really shook up the format of the show and opened SO many doors.

As for the disjointed feeling, I am sure most of the 3rd season will be spent filling us in on the year's highlights.

volko

[78]Mar 14, 2006
    I think more on the character development, Adama before would have probably gone his way and staged a martial law type thing to stop Baltar from getting into power, however as a character development thing he respects it more now i guess and respects the people life. Plus, remember the cylons only found the planet because the Frakker Baltar gave the nuke to the 6 who exploded it, the radiation led them to it, and they said themselves they were light years away. So there was that option that affected whether Adama should help Roslin.

I would if Leobnon(SP) is going ot kill the guy with Kara, and another thing are they married?

New season will really be exciting, for one what is happening with all the characters, Kara and the guy and the cylon.
    Laura, will she get presidency back?
    Baltar does he get tortured, hurt badly (please let it be something horrible.)
    The Cylons, the 6 and 8 who changed the cylon rules, and their story pluse their developments? Like i wonder if they have built the skeleton ship again?
    The thing with Lee Adama and Dee, and is she promoted to lieutenent, captain level now or something?
    Plus the big fight comming up.

One more thing, last time the human population i saw was like 47000 around there, now they were down to 40000. So either alot of people got blown up on Cloud 9, or alot of them are are on the ships. Plus, its been a year shouldn't there have been a population increase?

starwolf99

[79]Mar 14, 2006
    • level: 12
    I have this thought in my head for a while: Cylon Civil War.
    What if the Cylons originally wanted to have themselves and the humans go their separate ways but there was infighting? Since Caprica Six and Hero Sharon introduced individual thinking to the Cylons, maybe there was a difference of opinion on how to handle the humans. Hence, the 6 and 8 represent a group that wants to reconnect with the humans (albeit with subjugation) while another group wants to wipe everything out (and hold the original belief). If so, then they need the New Caprica residents.

volko

[80]Mar 14, 2006
    starwolf99 wrote:
    I have this thought in my head for a while: Cylon Civil War.
    What if the Cylons originally wanted to have themselves and the humans go their separate ways but there was infighting? Since Caprica Six and Hero Sharon introduced individual thinking to the Cylons, maybe there was a difference of opinion on how to handle the humans. Hence, the 6 and 8 represent a group that wants to reconnect with the humans (albeit with subjugation) while another group wants to wipe everything out (and hold the original belief). If so, then they need the New Caprica residents.

Yeah your idea seems very viable, regarding the civil war. However, i have to diagree with your theory regarding, the 6 and 8 group wanting to reconnect with the humans. I understand why they would want to help them and fight against the other cylons. but their manner was not very much towards forming an alliance but rather a takeover. Like for example when Baltar(THE FRAKKING IDIOT) asked what assurance they had that they wouldn't be harmed. The guy said "You don't."

But yeah the civil war theory is very valid.