Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Galactica on pause so that sci fi can hook people on Caprica

kokonut1971

[1]Jul 9, 2008
    • level: 3

I just got a big huge smirk on my face cause it happened exactly as predicted up to the dot and T's.

Galactica was stalled to let Caprica in so that people could get hooked on Caprica. So they would still get some sort of Galactica fix in their brains.

Told you!!!

Edited on 07/09/2008 5:22pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Bionetic

[2]Jul 9, 2008
    • level: 8
    I don't understand what you mean, Caprica?

kokonut1971

[3]Jul 10, 2008
    • level: 3
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caprica_(TV_series)

this is what i meant....

Bionetic

[4]Jul 10, 2008
    • level: 8

Oh, well... You should be more specific next time. There's Caprica the planet, There's Caprica-Six the cylon and I never even heard of Caprica the spin-off show. But thanks a bunch though, because now I know. I thought after BSG the franchise was going to be over.

:
    Development After a drawn-out pre-development cycle, on March 18, 2008, the Sci-Fi Channel announced that Caprica had been picked up as a two-hour backdoor pilot event, indicating a possible commitment to a series, contingent on ratings. NBC Universal Television Studio is developing the show, in conjunction with the executive producers of Battlestar Galactica (Ronald D. Moore and David Eick) and 24 writer Remi Aubuchon, who is writing the pilot, and is set to be the show runner. The pilot will be directed by Friday Night Lights veteran Jeffrey Reiner. According to a statement by Ron Moore in the Season 3 Companion book, the proposed Caprica prequel series will have a story-arc-heavy format like its predecessor; a large reason why the network is reluctant to greenlight the series is because story-arc-heavy series notoriously have difficulty in picking up new viewers, as compared to a series composed of mostly standalone episodes. This was already the cause of friction between Moore and the Sci-Fi Channel at Caprica's parent series - the first two seasons of Battlestar Galactica were arc-intensive, with detailed attention to internal continuity, but were not pulling in the Nielsen ratings that the network wanted, so the Sci-Fi Channel pressured Moore into retooling the third season of BSG to consist of largely standalone episodes. This measure actually backfired, as it resulted in negative criticism from both fans and critics, and Moore revealed in the Season 3 finale podcast that the network finally grudgingly admitted that standalone episodes simply do not work in the format of story he is trying to tell.

So, is that why so many Sci -fi shows like Stargate turn to sh*t . Atleast Moore his the integrity to strive to produce a quality series. Unlike shows like Stargate which are sellouts who are in it only for the money.

Edited on 07/10/2008 3:56am

redhawk100

[5]Jul 10, 2008
    • level: 6
    Heck I would have watched Caprica even if it aired next year or the year after....to be honest I would rather watch the rest of BSG before watching Caprica.
    Edited on 07/10/2008 7:19am

tribalchic

[6]Jul 11, 2008
    • level: 17
    I guess the last half of season3 was the victem they were referring too, an episode with a bogus virus,workers strike,airlock incident,ect I wouldn't have had an issue seeing this stuff as maybe a subplot while a bigger arc was going on, but as for standalone episodes they were kinda retarded.

bigblue072

[7]Jul 13, 2008
    • level: 5

I think it's not so bad an idea to market the heck out of 'Caprica' in the middle of the Season 4 hiatus. From what I'd been given to understand, the pilot is supposed to be designed to be close-ended enough to be a satisfying movie if it isn't popular enough to go to series. If the pilot doesn't get the ratings it needs, at the very least I'll have an interesting bookend for my BSG DVDs.

It certainly sounds like an interesting sort of drama to undertake. The sort of cross-generational drama that the web seems to be buzzing about appears to be as radical and experimental as the reimagined Galactica was itself. Either it will find an audience (and maybe pick up some non-sci-fi fans along the way like the first couple seasons of BSG did), or it will fall on its face. Should the latter occur, then hey, at least we've got 11 more episodes of BSG (and 1-3 television movies) to tide us over until the end.

123home123

[8]Jul 27, 2008
    • level: 55
    Sorry but I don't think this is necessarily the reason for the hiatus. Sci Fi Channel is currently evaluating the Caprica idea. By September they should make a decision on whether to order a regular series or just air the pilot as a standalone TV movie.

If Caprica becomes a regular series, it probably won't air until the summer of 2009. If Sci Fi decides to go with a single standalone TV movie, that could air in the fall or winter of 2008 but then building a fan base wouldn't matter because there wouldn't be any more episodes of Caprica.

Nothing has been decided yet but it doesn't sound like BSG was delayed merely to build an audience for Caprica.

bigblue072

[9]Jul 27, 2008
    • level: 5

Meh. I think there's a whole slew of reasons why Season "4.5" isn't happening until next year. Part of it, almost certainly, was due to the WGA strike delaying the filming of that latter part of the season. Heck, part of the reason the Caprica movie/pilot was greenlit in the first place was due to Sci-Fi wanting to develop scripts that were already written "pre-strike" in case thing dragged on longer than they did.

Part of it also likely stems from the fact that Sci-Fi wants to get the most bang out of their buck. By airing Caprica between seasons, it helps build hype for the remaining episodes while also guaranteeing that BSG fans will tune in to watch. If the BSG storyline had already concluded before Caprica aired, some viewers might have tuned out, figuing that they already know how the story ends, that the beginning is not nearly as important, especially when it doesn't involve any recognizable characters except for "L'il Bill Adama." By airing Caprica during this hiatus, people will tune in (as they did with "Razor") to see what hints they can glean about where the show is going to end up next year.

GrainneG

[10]Aug 2, 2008
    • level: 7
    I thought BSG was delayed because of the writer's strike