Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Has BSG ruined SciFi?

For you, does any other Science Fiction show compare to Battlestar Galacitca

AndreasOS

[1]Feb 3, 2009
    • level: 6

A ha

Before everyone gets all upset, hear me out. Most of you here know I'm a massive fan of the show. In fact this is the only show thats actually gotten me onto forums, so you'll understand that the thread title was just a hook to get you here... But the thing is, Battlestar Galactica has set the bar so high, that I can't really appreciate other SciFi shows that I used to enjoy.

I used to watch Stargate avidly, but for the last while, I haven't been following it. So this week, with no BSG to watch (since The Oath [watched it twice in the space of approximately 1hour 26 minutes]), I started catching up on Stargate Atlantis.

It simply doesn't compare.

I remember when SciFi used to be such a care free genre... You could tune in and watch an episode, without really having to have seen the previous episodes. You could enjoy the action, wonder at the technology, and finish up contented with an hour of mildly engaging entertainment. The episodes were pretty much stand alone. Sure, there were some crossovers, and season long story arc's, but nothing on the scale of what BSG has done. It really has redefined the entire genre for me.

I find it hard to believe that even Caprica could follow what has been done with this show. It really is going to be a hard act to follow....

Edited on 02/03/2009 1:46pm
    Edited 4 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

psychickiller

[2]Feb 3, 2009
    • level: 9
    The audience nowdays is harder to satisfy, at least the science fiction audience (I mean c'mon, all those reality shows... The Sci-Fi audience is at least a smarter one).

I wouldn't say there aren't other good shows on Sci-Fi... Lost is pretty decent, and I've recently hooked up on Eureka which is awesome and I encourage others to watch it as well.

AndreasOS

[3]Feb 3, 2009

Eureka. I watched the first season of that, and i was quite impressed, but again, it's pretty much stand alone SciFi. I never followed up on the second season. Lost on the other hand, I refuse to watch unless I can see them all one after another. I watched the fourth season box set in 3 days, but if it's broken up into week by week episodes, it's just too confusing for me to keep track of.

But they are both good shows. I never really considered Lost to be SciFi though. I always thought the first season was just an above average drama, butI suppose over time it has become more SciFi in theme...

AndreasOS

[4]Feb 3, 2009
    And please excuse the spelling mistake in the Poll question. I can't edit it now though...

scififan12921

[5]Feb 3, 2009

I don't think BSG has ruined scifi. I know if there is a new show with a good story I will still watch. I also have been watching scifi for a long time so for me it's about looking at older shows and saying" ok, these are the folks that made the advances that make BSG possible"

I'll still take most any scifi over reality tv.

Idbeolderifiwas

[6]Feb 3, 2009
    • level: 20
    It hasn't ruined it for me. There is still plenty of Sci-fi I can watch and enjoy, stand-alone episodes or not. I do enjoy shows that have long Arcs like Lost, Farscape, BSG, etc but It's not necessary for me to enjoy it. I still rank SG-1 above BSG on my faves list (2nd and 3rd respectively) and SGA is slightly behind them.

Kondix

[7]Feb 4, 2009
    • level: 11
    Hmm... I would say, that a higher bar is definetly a good thing... before I never liked Sci-Fi TV-Shows... never cared for Stargate or Star Trek...

I know for sure, that some of my friends, which I personaly introduced to BSG, cant watch Stargate (and alikes) anymore... for them, after BSG, this is just not possible...

But that does not ruin Sci-Fi the genre... it just makes you aware of the low quality of this genre on TV, that has been up until BSG.

But I am not going to trashtalk SG... I was and I still am a Star Wars geek... and I get still a lot of fun out of it (especially with the rising quality of the Clone Wars show)... but there is no question which is better, BSG all the way superior to Star Wars...

BUT Star Wars is for the younger folks... so it is a diffrent level of quality... BSG is for the more mature viewer (as I am closing in to my 30th birthday slowly I would call my self a "more mature viewer"). If I had the choice to decide what my offspring at... let's say 8 years (if I had any, of course) should watch, I would let them watch Star Wars... but at the age of 15... I would tell them to share the BSG-expierience with me. Regarding the Caprica spin-off... I have my hopes and my doubts... but I will be watching at least season 1 till the end... BSG also got really amazing at the end of the first season... and at least so much time I am willing give it to let it pull me in (normally I give shows 3-episode chances... after this good bye, hope to never see ya again)

MrBovineOrdure

[8]Feb 4, 2009

You'll always find someone "raising the bar".

Twilight Zone, Star Trek (TOS), then I wondered the same thing about Babylon 5.

While Caprica will likely be pretty good, I don't think it'll be the next BSG. There'll always be something around the corner.

JJ. Abram's new Star Trek movie looks pretty promising.

Imagine if someone like Dave Eikes and Ron Moore did a re-imagining of Star Wars....Cute is what killed that franchise for me. It also is what killed the original BSG. These two could probably find a great way to tell that story.

Mr BO

guyroy1971

[9]Feb 4, 2009
    • level: 12
    Nice hook for the thread..lol It has ruined sci-fi for me personally. I watched all the star treks and loved them and used to like watching the reruns. Sci-fi has "enterprise" on and TNG and watching them now, I can say my enjoyment of them has waned after BSG. The plots now seem to have no consequences and the characters seem bland and lacking in depth. I used to LOVE star wars but I also now see the bad acting and shallow characters and I don't watch the movies when they are on anymore. I don't watch Stargate either, it is hard to believe it is on the same channel as BSG as the quality is so much worse. So yes, in my experience it as ruined sci-fi for me. I still think Star wars is great for younger kids, but BSG is way too adult for them. If a network is going to make mature sci-fi like a star trek was in the future, I think they will have to have a great story, more realistic settings and well developed characters like BSG or people will not watch it now. So the bar has been raised.

AegisAtreyu

[10]Feb 4, 2009
    • level: 17
    It hasn't ruined Sci-fi, like what many people here have been saying though it has raised the bar for what can be done with it on TV. Especially in aiming at a more adult crowd and discussing, without touching on directly, world events (the opening episodes of season 3 and atrocities of war for example). Lost is still great at the moment and I'd still go back to many an old series like Firefly or Deep Space Nine and Babylon 5 amongst others which paved the way for some of the political ideals BSG has. Pushing Daisies (unfortunately cancelled) may be an acquired taste but is also really intelligent as well.

psychickiller

[11]Feb 4, 2009
    • level: 9
    Indeed, shows might look more shallow compared to BSG when it comes to acting, CGI etc; but I still think Babylon 5, for example, is still awesome. It depends if the story is good enough to stand the test of time.

my1sunshine

[12]Feb 4, 2009

I think what Galactica did was morph sci-fi a little. In several ways. Number one, it was never classified as sci-fi.. but a drama set in a sci-fi backround. Number two, it brought the emphasis away from the F/X.. and back to charachter and story. And in a medium dripping with waaaaayyy too much CGI in your face.. THAT, above all was SUCH a breath of fresh air. And the great thing was.. it did it WITHOUT loosing the impact of great effects. They're still there.. they've just been dropped back down to their rightful place.. as a tool to tell the story, and not the main attraction.. used at the expense of the plot.

It's funny, I remember , in 1977 being such a Star Wars freak. And I sooo admired something George Lucas said at the time... that the special effect needed to be used to drive the story, not overused so that it dwarves the story. Ironic, huh? This from Mr CGI himself!

That being said. BSG will NEVER diminish my appreciation for Star Wars, Trek, ... even the original BSG itself. BUT, I hope future filmakers will take a cue from this series, to see how the future of Sci-Fi CAN look.

123home123

[13]Feb 5, 2009
    • level: 55
    There have been other serious-minded quality sci-fi series like Babylon 5 and The X-Files (although that was part drama, part detective show, part comedy and part sci-fi) along with the lighter shows. There have also been many harder-edge sci-fi movies like Blade Runner and The Matrix along with the lighter fare like Star Wars and the Star Trek movies.

BSG hasn't ruined other sci-fi for me. I actually welcome the chance to sit back and enjoy a little escapist action/adventure entertainment from time to time. It doesn't mean I don't appreciate the intensity and searing drama that BSG offers but I don't know if I want to see that 12 months of the year. Some people like both comedies and dramas. I guess I fall into that category. Not that I like silly cheesefests or reality shows but I don't mind the Stargate shows as a change of pace. I like the new Sanctuary series although it's not that original and it's far more escapist than BSG.

So I think the genre of sci-fi is OK. Part of what gave BSG its power was the real-life Iraq War and the controversies over prisoner interrogations and the political battles in the U.S., and how BSG covered some of those themes without making a pseudo-documentary. Different eras will pose new challenges. New series will have different issues and themes to tackle. Perhaps the next great theme will be economic turmoil and widespread despair. Admittedly that doesn't have the same dramatic punch as a wartime story will but I'm sure there are creative writers out there who can make it work. Maybe it will play a minor role in the Caprica series.

123home123

[15]Feb 5, 2009
    • level: 55
    There have been other serious-minded quality sci-fi series like Babylon 5 and The X-Files (although that was part drama, part detective show, part comedy and part sci-fi) along with the lighter shows. There have also been many harder-edge sci-fi movies like Blade Runner and The Matrix along with the lighter fare like Star Wars and the Star Trek movies.

BSG hasn't ruined other sci-fi for me. I actually welcome the chance to sit back and enjoy a little escapist action/adventure entertainment from time to time. It doesn't mean I don't appreciate the intensity and searing drama that BSG offers but I don't know if I want to see that 12 months of the year. Some people like both comedies and dramas. I guess I fall into that category. Not that I like silly cheesefests or reality shows but I don't mind the Stargate shows as a change of pace. I like the new Sanctuary series although it's not that original and it's far more escapist than BSG.

So I think the genre of sci-fi is OK. Part of what gave BSG its power was the real-life Iraq War and the controversies over prisoner interrogations and the political battles in the U.S., and how BSG covered some of those themes without making a pseudo-documentary. Different eras will pose new challenges. New series will have different issues and themes to tackle. Perhaps the next great theme will be economic turmoil and widespread despair. Admittedly that doesn't have the same dramatic punch as a wartime story will but I'm sure there are creative writers out there who can make it work. Maybe it will play a minor role in the Caprica series.

xanderfi

[16]Feb 5, 2009
    • level: 5
    I think BSG has peeked my interest even more. I Have always liked Sci Fi but not to the extent of most. I think like most people I loved Star Wars and I agree that BSG has not diminished my appreciation for Sci Fi at all. It has actually caused me to look for more quality Sci Fi. I never watched the X-Files, didn't really interest me because I wasn't a Sci Fi fan, but now I'm watching Fringe, which has been compared quite a bit to X-files. I also Like The Sarah Connor Chronicles and Supernatural and I got into older shows that I missed before I was sucked into the Sci Fi universe, like Firefly, The Original BSG and countless others. BSG didn't ruin Sci Fi for me, it was my gateway to something I never knew existed. Now instead of 24 and Prison Break and shows like that My DVR is filled up with a lot of Scif Fi, more than any other genre. So no, I don't think it ruined Sci Fi. I think it makes it better. Had it not been for BSG, I may not enjoy all of these other shows. I thnk BSG ruined everything else for me!

Xaviersx

[17]Feb 5, 2009
    • level: 11

No, it hasn't ruined SciFi, in that I can and will enjoy good/great projects that follow it, and it hasn't tainted or destroyed my past affections for other shows that came before it. It just adds to my memories of enjoyment, gives me a current reference to say to others Sci Fi can be this good and not some crap churned out for the moment and money, and in time, adds to the legacy of science fiction both written and performed. Each piece has its time and place.

The one thing I would hope that BSG does in and after it's time, is send a clear message to the Sci Fi channel that it's audience wants and watches a higher caliber of fiction than what they program in a B movie fashion more often than not.

my1sunshine

[18]Feb 5, 2009

123home123 wrote:
    Part of what gave BSG its power was the real-life Iraq War and the controversies over prisoner interrogations and the political battles in the U.S., and how BSG covered some of those themes without making a pseudo-documentary. Different eras will pose new challenges. New series will have different issues and themes to tackle. Perhaps the next great theme will be economic turmoil and widespread despair. Admittedly that doesn't have the same dramatic punch as a wartime story will but I'm sure there are creative writers out there who can make it work. Maybe it will play a minor role in the Caprica series.

Oh, I agree. Don't forget the timely entrence of BSG after, and so close to 9/11. I think that's what really gave Galactica it's punch in the beginning. I remember the first time I saw Dee walking past the walls of rememberance with all the photos and such. How many of us got chills watching that? And how many more (too many, I fear) could even identify with it?

mialza

[19]Feb 5, 2009
    • level: 14
    Personally I think BSG has saved Sci-Fi. I seem to have a different perspective then most of the others on this thread. I just turned 23 so all the older Sci-Fi shows like the original BSG, The Twilight Zone, and even Star Wars are a little before my time. In the 90's Sci-Fi just didn't have as huge of a stronghold as it semed to in the 70's. For whatever reason all of the old campy Sci-Fi shows never resonated with me, and more realistic ones did. The only two I kind of watched when I was younger were The X-Files, which just got too weird, and Stargate, which just seemed like a good way to kill an hour if nothing else was on. Thats why I got into BSG. As someone else said its a drama that just so happens to take place in space. I feel a real attachment to the characters, unlike Stargate, and the plot lines just keep me hooked, unlike the eventual decline of the X-Files. In fact, the few things that have bugged me with the show are when they seem to detach from reality (the whole what the frak is Starback thing is the best example, and I've even begun to warm up to that). I guess I only like Sci-Fi if it's not too Science Fictiony, if that makes sense. The only other Sci-Fi show that I can honestly say that I loved was Firefly, which had a lot of similarities to what makes BSG so good. Unfortunately I didn't find it until well after it was canceled. It had engaging characters, mostly serious plot lines, and didn't rely too heavily on FX. If BSG is a drama set in space, Firefly was a western set in space. I wonder what would have happened if it was allowed to fully develop. Would it have morphed into something closer to BSG, or would it have turned into a new version of Star Wars? In the end BSG has hopefully shifted Sci-Fi into a more realistic, tangible formate. I think a show that is well written, well acted, and can create a connection to the viewers will always be more enjoyable, and I hope the genre moves in that direction.

MyManD

[20]Feb 9, 2009
    • level: 5
    Though I love BSG, I had actually looked forward to new episodes of Stargate more and seeing that it had much higher ratings, a lot of other people are the same. BSG certainly moved sci-fi forward a little (though I think Space: Above and Beyond did more at the time to propel the genre) but it certainly isn't sci-fi's saviour.

I mean, you can only be angst-ridden and downtrodden for so long before it gets kind of, well, depressing.