Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Has BSG ruined SciFi?

For you, does any other Science Fiction show compare to Battlestar Galacitca

SuperBoyPrime0

[21]Feb 10, 2009
    • level: 3

That's like asking did Buffy the vampire slayer ruin scifi. Did farscape ruin scifi..did firefly

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tripping82

[22]Feb 10, 2009
    • level: 14
    Heck no it hasn't runined scifi. In fact, I think BSG is the least scifi out of all scifi shows. There are plenty other scifi shows that I enjoy and will continue to enjoy regardless of BSG.

Bionetic

[23]Feb 10, 2009
    • level: 8
    I don't think BSG has ruined sci-fi. Another thing that I don't think was mentioned is how BSG has improved the sci-fi genre by advancing special effects and filming in the space opera portion of sci-fi. They've perfected the concept of making a space based version of the armed forced. I remember "Space: Above and Beyond" which I think was one of the first shows to try to do this. While their attempt was ok, they always left a bad taste in my mouth. Stargate also has a pretty good space based military, but the show is hampered by it's superficial plots. There is plenty of other good sci-fi shows, too. I particularly like Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles which has been so faithful to the Terminator franchise, Lost, and Fringe right now. I think these shows make a decent attempt to create very involved plot lines.

sean2evo

[24]Feb 11, 2009
    BSG is the show that got me interested in Sci fi, before I just thought it was nerdy till BSG showed me how you can use Scifi to draw parallels between the fiction world in the show and real world issues using the show as a vehicle to criticize our worlds problems. Well, I loved Buffy to but thats a different type of sci fi.

seto1

[25]Feb 11, 2009
    • level: 16
    Well nice hook but i like thread hoping so ...,well for me it should acually help sci fi .Battle star galactica has won several award which should help many see sci fi in a new light,even joel macale from the soup is a huge fan i couldn believe when he said he would fight his son for the remote to watch BSG.

hazelnut144

[26]Feb 11, 2009
    SuperBoyPrime0 wrote:

That's like asking did Buffy the vampire slayer ruin scifi. Did farscape ruin scifi..did firefly

Just a little nitpick, but I see Buffy as closer to Fantasy than SciFi. It's not quite Fantasy either, but its closer.

I definitely think that BSG has had a huge impact on the genre though. As seto1 said, its won quite a few awards which is somewhat unheard of for SciFi. So it's getting the word out there. The person who got me hooked on BSG hates SciFi, and I have, in turn, hooked some other SciFi haters.

seto1

[27]Feb 12, 2009
    This show has turned many into sci fi lovers and as such has greatly help scifi

ebony_kunoichi

[28]Feb 12, 2009
    • level: 13
    BSG has raised the bar for me for sure. Stargate is fine to soothe my sci-fi fix but it cannot compare to BSG. I love the depressing human drama! I'm still a hardcore Star Wars dork, but I love BSG it is my fav show of all time and my second fav for sci fi behind star wars, Farscape is third, then ST: TNG and DS9.

all4dogs

[29]Feb 15, 2009
    • level: 6
    I find BSG confusing. Half of the time, I can't figure out what's going on. I prefer Star Trek Enterprise, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Heroes, Dr. Who, Primeval, SG1, Supernatural, Voyager, Lost, Eureka, and Fringe. That being said, I haven't missed an episode of BSG. Some of the episodes have been great. I just wish the plot wasn't subverted. To be honest, I had no idea what was going on in the latest episode. I had to turn to the forums to decipher it.

Mangalore

[30]Feb 16, 2009
    • level: 7
    Just consider this:

Before BSG there was Farscape, before Farscape there was B5, before B5 was Space: Above and Beyond and in between Dr Who, Firefly and some others I forgot.

Each of those shows brought something unique on the screen so I do not bother to compare them. The anarchy of Farscape and the grittiness of BSG can be hardly compared with the melancholy of Firefly. I liked all three for their different ways of telling things.
    Overall the SciFi genre improved greatly over the past two decades and lost imo lots of its niche status.

martymcflyjb

[31]Feb 17, 2009
    • level: 10

all4dogs wrote:
    I find BSG confusing. Half of the time, I prefer ... Lost,

You don't find Lost equally or more confusing? I too had trouble keeping up with "No Exit's" many revelations last Friday night (thank God for TiVo!), but Lost has had many more episodes that were on that level of mind-frakking.

I think BSG has definitely raised the bar for sci-fi, especially CABLE sci-fi. Lost is on the same level as BSG for me (and many others), but there isn't and never has been a cable sci-fi show that comes anywhere close to the quality of BSG. BSG makes the Stargate shows look like cable access programs. The acting, production values, and storytelling are just lightyears ahead.

Battlestar Galactica and Lost are the best sci-fi shows ever, but I am optimistic that we will see other shows that come close or even improve on these groundbreaking shows. Caprica and Fringe have great potential, and Sarah Conner Chronicles is pretty great as well. Also, I don't think it "ruins" past shows. But it puts some of them into perspective, such as how awful Enterprise was compared to TNG and Voyager.

Edited on 02/17/2009 11:53am

WingcommanderIV

[32]Feb 18, 2009
    You can't get into Stargate Atlantis cause it sucked. The writing has been horrible for the longest time. It just hasn't lived up to the quality of the original. Too many quick fixes, and cheap solutions, and stupid situations, and the show just isn't good anymore. Nothin to do with BSG. Here's hoping the next Stargate show is better.

Moviemaster2222

[33]Feb 21, 2009
    It isn't bad for a something to set the bar so high, it just makes it that much better when something surpasses it, and since things in all facets have only improved over time, from quality to efficiency, there will eventually be something even better.

Also its not fair to compare stargates and the likes to bsg, BSG is all a whole other level, Stargates are just fun with the basic concept of good guys vs bad aliens, although it is nice that every so often the good guys lose.