Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Hera - whats the big deal?

blackclown98

[1]Mar 24, 2009
    • level: 10

I don't understand why she was so important. After everything that happened, I was sure she'd have some epic destiny as a savior of mankind or something, but in the end she was just a regular child, no different then 30,000+ other settlers.

Or am I missing something?

Edited on 03/24/2009 1:43pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Idbeolderifiwas

[2]Mar 24, 2009
    • level: 20
    Well she did have a hand in leading them to their final destination. She drew the picture that lead Kara to play the song and figure out the co-ordinates to Earth.

Daxx00004

[3]Mar 24, 2009
    • level: 9
    blackclown98 wrote:

I don't understand why she was so important. After everything that happened, I was sure she'd have some epic destiny as a savior of mankind or something, but in the end she was just a regular child, no different then 30,000+ other settlers.

Or am I missing something?

She was the mitochondrial eve that head Baltar and Six were talking about in the present day while they were reading over RDM's shoulder. She was the mother of our Earth's humans. The common ancestor of all. Makes her pretty important from "God's" point of view.

ShotgunBlade

[4]Mar 24, 2009
    • level: 7
    She wasn't significant at all, it was just bad writing. They hyped up a lot of things they resolved poorly in the finale, so don't always expect logical explanations to things they made seem important. The fact she was "mitochondrial eve" was insignificant as well - it's not like the other, non halfcylon/halfhuman people were incapable of breeding and didn't reproduce. They dropped the ball with that one.

blackclown98

[5]Mar 24, 2009
    Yeah, I've forgot to mention the notes she wrote for Kara. But I was really refering to her being the "Mitochondrial Eve". I mean - 30,000 people, spread over 6 continents, and she's the only one who has kids?

Hungry_Homer111

[6]Mar 24, 2009
    • level: 26
    I think it had to do with her blood. I think it made humans strong enough to survive the elements and everything for so long, while others species pretty much came and went through the years. The primitive humans probably would have died off the same way. And other people, who had a problem with them getting rid of their technology, mentioned that they might not be as ready for the environments as they think they are, and would die off sooner than they thought. Her blood eventually got into all of the human blood. This brings up the question "Why do we still have cancer, and other diseases, today?" My explanation would be that 1. Even the effects on Laura faded eventually, so that might have something to do with it. 2. Considering it might take a while, a few generations, to get the blood passed on to all of humanity, it may have been a bit diluted before then, enough for us to have those issues, but not enough for it to be too weak to save us from extinction.

And in that way, we (as a people) wouldn't become extinct, unless if we did it to ourselves, or as the final scenes suggest, we couldn't live with our own advances (in technology, or other advances) and it overcame us in some way, like the Cylons. However, "things seem different somehow," as Six says, probably because of the Galactica humans bringin in the best of themselves and influencing their development, so this might not happen.

Kondix

[7]Mar 25, 2009
    • level: 11
    30.000 people spread through the world.... but only the bloodlines which combined with Hera mitochondrial DNA survived... There was no restriction on having children... Lee could have children, Lampin could have... even Baltar and Six...
    BUT only if at some point of history, the children of theirs... or their childrens of children mated with someone from Heras bloodline, their bloodline would survive... there ar many great articels on that... check wikipedia or google... there it is better explained... oh, don't mix mitochondrial eve with biblical eve... two completly diffrent things!

trip31

[8]Mar 25, 2009
    • level: 12
    Idbeolderifiwas wrote:
    Well she did have a hand in leading them to their final destination. She drew the picture that lead Kara to play the song and figure out the co-ordinates to Earth.

Jump co-ordinates are based on the from/to point i.e. if they hadn't gone to rescue Hera the point Starbuck entered wouldn't have gotten the here.

Sektos

[9]Mar 28, 2009
    Thats the thing Kondix, hera as the mitochondrial Eve doesn't mean that she is necessarily related to everyone directly (though there were alot of 8s so she'd have prob lot half sis' and bro's) but thats she is the Oldest and (we as viewers def know) first 'human' with mitochondria. It could have been thousands of years before everyone else got mitochondria like her, but eventually all the interbreeding between Colonial humans, Cylons and earth homo sapiens. To answer a common mistake i've seen ppl make; the ppl discover by the Colonials were not Neanderthals. Neanderthals were only in europe and central Asia because they were specifically adapted for cold climates. The Colonials were shown to be in africa judging by the wildlife and fact that the humans they saw were black and the clothes they were wearing obviously being suited for warm climates. My guess is that the colonials were (in RDM universe) responsible for homo sapiens becoming more organized and seeking to explore; thus spread across the globe

An interesting question is would the human Cylons have aged??? we know cavil was made to look like an old man, and thus all the other cylons were made to look a certain age. Now the original 5 do age; as shown by Tigh, but they also could reproduce with one another and other cylons like humans can which sugests that Cylons on Old Earth were closer to us than Colonial H-Cylons. If the the Colonial cylons couldnt die from old age, prehaps they lived long enough to help spread their genes to everyone, along with the hybrids they would have created.

ShotgunBlade

[10]Mar 28, 2009
    • level: 7
    trip31 wrote:
    Jump co-ordinates are based on the from/to point i.e. if they hadn't gone to rescue Hera the point Starbuck entered wouldn't have gotten the here.

Unfortunately it was used in a way that was poor writing. She was a MacGuffin: "A MacGuffin (sometimes McGuffin) is a plot device that motivates the characters or advances the story, but the details of which are of little or no importance otherwise.

The element that distinguishes a MacGuffin from other types of plot devices is that it is not important what the object specifically is. Anything that serves as a motivation will do. The MacGuffin might even be ambiguous. Its importance is accepted by the story's characters, but it does not actually have any effect on the story. It can be generic or left open to interpretation."

Much like the deus ex machinae, it's a weak plot device.

my1sunshine

[11]Mar 30, 2009

ShotgunBlade wrote:
    trip31 wrote:
    Unfortunately it was used in a way that was poor writing. She was a MacGuffin: "A MacGuffin (sometimes McGuffin) is a plot device that motivates the characters or advances the story, but the details of which are of little or no importance otherwise. The element that distinguishes a MacGuffin from other types of plot devices is that it is not important what the object specifically is. Anything that serves as a motivation will do. The MacGuffin might even be ambiguous. Its importance is accepted by the story's characters, but it does not actually have any effect on the story. It can be generic or left open to interpretation." Much like the deus ex machinae, it's a weak plot device.

Really? What a ... um... shock that you feel that way.

Edited on 03/30/2009 8:14pm

guyroy1971

[12]Mar 31, 2009
    Well, if nothing else we are getting alot of english lit definitions and are learning something..lol A McGuffin can actually be anything, and it is certainly not a weak plot device. The island on Lost is certainly a prime example of a McGuffin. It also helps alot in golf..lol

Bionetic

[13]Apr 2, 2009
    • level: 8
    Kondix wrote:
    30.000 people spread through the world.... but only the bloodlines which combined with Hera mitochondrial DNA survived... There was no restriction on having children... Lee could have children, Lampin could have... even Baltar and Six...
    BUT only if at some point of history, the children of theirs... or their childrens of children mated with someone from Heras bloodline, their bloodline would survive... there ar many great articels on that... check wikipedia or google... there it is better explained... oh, don't mix mitochondrial eve with biblical eve... two completly diffrent things!

That's a really interesting point you bring up Kondix. I like your explaination the best because it makes how they ended the story alittle more appealing to me. I just wish they explained it better. I also agree with ShotgunBlade about it being a McGuffin. Alot of the story seemed to result from lazy writing or maybe the writers just had too much on their plate.

boathouse

[14]Apr 2, 2009
    • level: 1
    She's the common ancestor of every living human being on Earth. If she had been killed, all of us would have never existed. I think that's pretty significant.

chestrix

[15]Apr 2, 2009
    • level: 3
    Obviously Ron Moore wanted to make Hera an ancestor to all those in that future Earth, which I think is supposed to be our Earth and therefore to include us in the whatever cycle and part of the whatever big message there is in the story.

I think it was poorly done by simply making Hera the Mitochondrial Eve, which just adds more unanswered questions. So if the fleet didn't come along, those primitives already inhabiting the planet wouldn't have advanced and would become extinct? What about the other couples in the fleet? Hera or her descendents must have mated with the primitives' descendents. If she only mated with other fleet's offsprings, the human race would have immediately advanced 150,000 years. What offspring comes from mating between two extremes in the evolutionary scale?

Hera was already important to the storyline in several different ways. The whole thing about making her the Mitochondrial Eve in a world of very primitive humans was just weird and unnecessary, imo.

boathouse

[16]Apr 6, 2009
    "I think it was poorly done by simply making Hera the Mitochondrial Eve, which just adds more unanswered questions. So if the fleet didn't come along, those primitives already inhabiting the planet wouldn't have advanced and would become extinct? What about the other couples in the fleet? Hera or her descendents must have mated with the primitives' descendents. If she only mated with other fleet's offsprings, the human race would have immediately advanced 150,000 years. What offspring comes from mating between two extremes in the evolutionary scale?"

That's really not too many unanswered questions. The first one about the primitives is like asking "What would have happened if Gore had won the 2000 election?" Answer: Something else/who knows? That's not an unanswered question, that's just you pondering "What if?"

As for the second question, again it's just like we don't need those details. Hera's offspring obviously ultimately mated with everyone else's offspring making her a common ancestor. And yeah I think they mated with the primitives, I think that's why they included them cuz 38,000 is probably not a big enough gene pool to be sustainable.

I like that they made her mitochondrial eve because mitochondrial eve is a
    real person who's remains we did discover. It ties in nicely with our reality.

Xaviersx

[17]Apr 6, 2009
    • level: 11
    She's special because when her old bones were dug up, she's the most ancient direct relative that man can find and discern with their science. She's humanity's scientific eve, since the indiginous humanoids were all evolutionary dead ends or dead ended. She's also a part of the puzzle that Kara puts together with her own visions of the musical notes, in order to come up with those really divine jump coordinates to a human supportive planet. And she's the 1st human cylon offspring, so we all are a bit frackin machine inside. IMO

chestrix

[18]Apr 6, 2009
    boathouse wrote:
    "I think it was poorly done by simply making Hera the Mitochondrial Eve, which just adds more unanswered questions. So if the fleet didn't come along, those primitives already inhabiting the planet wouldn't have advanced and would become extinct? What about the other couples in the fleet? Hera or her descendents must have mated with the primitives' descendents. If she only mated with other fleet's offsprings, the human race would have immediately advanced 150,000 years. What offspring comes from mating between two extremes in the evolutionary scale?"

That's really not too many unanswered questions. The first one about the primitives is like asking "What would have happened if Gore had won the 2000 election?" Answer: Something else/who knows? That's not an unanswered question, that's just you pondering "What if?"

As for the second question, again it's just like we don't need those details. Hera's offspring obviously ultimately mated with everyone else's offspring making her a common ancestor. And yeah I think they mated with the primitives, I think that's why they included them cuz 38,000 is probably not a big enough gene pool to be sustainable.

I like that they made her mitochondrial eve because mitochondrial eve is a
    real person who's remains we did discover. It ties in nicely with our reality.
    I think the what if question is a big deal. One of the main themes of BSG is the survival of the human race. Well, if the fleet never arrived at New Earth and the primitive humans survived and thrived without them, then the survival of the human race was never dependent on the fleet.

Also, if the answer again was that the primitive humans would have survived and thrived to the present day without the fleet ever reaching their planet, then it is the fleet's own interference and displacement that tremendously and irrevocably changed the events in that world that, as a consequence, somehow caused Hera's descendent(s) to become the population bottleneck resulting in all present day living humans to be her descendent. So if the primitive humans would have done fine without the fleet ever coming, then this could give some feeling of Invasion of Galactica to the ending.

boathouse

[19]Apr 6, 2009
    "So if the primitive humans would have done fine without the fleet ever coming, then this could give some feeling of Invasion of Galactica to the ending."

It could indeed. Could also give credence to Six telling Baltar she was going to guide him to "the end of the human race" way back in season 2.

And Kara thrace "will lead them all to their end"

Really it's not about the survival of the human race, it's about the end of the human race. And I think, it pretty much all adds up.

chestrix

[20]Apr 6, 2009
    That's an interesting interpretation. But I don't think Ron Moore intended the finale or new Earth to mean the end of the human race - just the beginning of a new cycle and maybe the end of the journey.

I think he just thought having Hera as the Mitochondrial Eve would be a neat and clever way to fit into our world and continue the cycle, but it doesn't sit well with me on a few different levels. Anyway, Helo would be a nice ancestral father to have, though I'm not too keen on being part alien and part cylon.