Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Hera - whats the big deal?

Caps-L

[21]Apr 8, 2009
    • level: 5
    Hi everyone.

I understand why Hera is important from our perspective, now that we know about the Eve thing. I understand why she is important to Cylons, being the key to reproduct. But what makes Hera so important to people on Battlestar, that half the crew, including Adama, decide to risk their lives for her?

In earlier seasons there were situations, where they decided to sacrifice whole ship, because there was risk that it could affect the rest of the fleet (in season 1 I think). There werse episodes, where main characters decided to sacrifice other main characters, even if they were close to them. So I ask - what's the point? Humans were able to repdoduct without her, Hera had no real significance for humans at the moment, other than being Agathons daughter, and yet they risk the lives of half the fleet to get her back?

I also don't understand why they didn't use Hera's blood to cure Roslin's cancer again?

Anyway, great series. Last couple of episodes had many plot holes, but fortunately also many great ideas that make up for some illogical solutions

And sorry for my English
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

seto1

[22]Apr 10, 2009
    • level: 16
    This may have been Adama's way of showing the cyclons and the other members of the crew that the wanted there alliance to be more than simply words.Hera was more important to the cyclons but now that they were the fleets allies she was important to them also

Caps-L

[23]Apr 11, 2009
    Thx for response. Well, it has some logic to it, still I think it's a little far-fetched and out of character for a person, for whom the most important thing is life and well-being of the fleet. Also it's strange, that people of the fleet would join this kind of mission, since the alliance with the cylons wasn't the most popular decision.

Or maybe I'm just thinking too much about it :-P

seto1

[24]Apr 12, 2009
    Adama commands the crew respect and trust and as such they follow him even in situations they dont like.

myc4971

[25]Apr 14, 2009

Caps-L wrote:
    Hi everyone. I understand why Hera is important from our perspective, now that we know about the Eve thing. I understand why she is important to Cylons, being the key to reproduct. But what makes Hera so important to people on Battlestar, that half the crew, including Adama, decide to risk their lives for her? In earlier seasons there were situations, where they decided to sacrifice whole ship, because there was risk that it could affect the rest of the fleet (in season 1 I think). There werse episodes, where main characters decided to sacrifice other main characters, even if they were close to them. So I ask - what's the point? Humans were able to repdoduct without her, Hera had no real significance for humans at the moment, other than being Agathons daughter, and yet they risk the lives of half the fleet to get her back? I also don't understand why they didn't use Hera's blood to cure Roslin's cancer again? Anyway, great series. Last couple of episodes had many plot holes, but fortunately also many great ideas that make up for some illogical solutions And sorry for my English

On the importance of Hera to those who joined the last battle --- I think Adama made it clear that it was on a personal level that is why he never forced everyone to join the mission. You have to remember the close ties between Adama, Helo and Athena. And I guess, it was also clear that they have to take a last stand to take out John and the other cylon models to completely eliminate the threat to humanity.

Hera's significance lies primarily on the sentiments that was pinned on her and not really on the significance of what her life would take. It doesn't matter what role Hera played in the whole scheme of things. She was important because of the meaning the Cylons and the humans placed on her.

On Roslin's cancer, I believe Roslin declined to use Hera's blood to cure cancer again, a personal reason she didn't justify. The only thought I could offer why she declined it was because deep within her she doesn't trust what the cylon blood can do to her. We have to remember that one of her character's key motivation is suspicion.

seto1

[26]Apr 14, 2009
    thats very true.

Caps-L

[27]Apr 15, 2009
    Well said, I can't find a reason not to agree. Thx for responses

seto1

[28]Apr 15, 2009
    Neither can i.