Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Hollywood Reporter: Larson "BG" Movie in the Works

scififan12921

[21]Feb 23, 2009
    • level: 6
    martymcflyjb wrote:

As i understand it, Larson has not been involved with the show in any capacity, and actually doesn't care for it. The Consulting Producer credit is just a legal thing.

So it makes sense that Larson would want his own shot, but I think it's a dumb idea destined for failure. The Knight Rider remake isn't exactly a hit. Larson's a hack.

my bad, i didn't realize they put his name because of legal obligations. I just wish that he would leave it be. I was a big fan of the original(not bsg1980), but that time has passed. I will keep an open mind,since that is what led me to love this show.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

my1sunshine

[22]Feb 26, 2009
    • level: 12

I just found out that someone finally posted a watchable copy of Richard Hatch's "Second Coming" trailer. I hope THIS is more what Larson has in mind, and that he's not just trying another re-make. I'm duplicate posting this on the Richard Hatch thread. I tried to do a link, but no go. Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yblyzTO4zhU

Edited on 02/26/2009 7:26am

hazelnut144

[23]Feb 26, 2009
    • level: 8
    Well, I think that this could do decently, assuming it is not attempting to replace RDM's BSG. If it is a continuation of the old series, I think it could do fine. A lot of old fans who watched the original will probably love it. I may or may not watch it - truth to be told, I couldn't stand the old series, but that is just me. Even on these boards there are quite a few people saying that they liked the old series. I watch television more for the characters than the plot, though it does need to have plot, and I just couldn't bring myself to care about the characters in old BSG so I couldn't get into it

my1sunshine

[24]Feb 26, 2009

hazelnut144 wrote:
    Well, I think that this could do decently, assuming it is not attempting to replace RDM's BSG. If it is a continuation of the old series, I think it could do fine. A lot of old fans who watched the original will probably love it. I may or may not watch it - truth to be told, I couldn't stand the old series, but that is just me. Even on these boards there are quite a few people saying that they liked the old series. I watch television more for the characters than the plot, though it does need to have plot, and I just couldn't bring myself to care about the characters in old BSG so I couldn't get into it

I can certainly understand that.

Not many shows back then had much in the way of characterization.. with few exceptions. But BSG had the potential.. just not enough done with it. Look at Tigh in the original. No backround at all.. no exposition.. nothing.. except he's there. Nothing approaching the richness of Saul Tighs character.

Hatch has promised that if he's in charge of the story for a BSG continuation, he will make the characters richer and more defined... and explore the darker aspects of the premise than was allowed with the old show.

That's why I said, the smartest thing he can do is put Hatch in the big chair.

His books (written before RDM's version.. some, anyway) were great continuations on the show, and so much was told about the characters.

Given the people he's been around lately, he had to learn a lot about characters in the last five years, wouldn't you say?

He had great teachers.

It all depends on wether Larson is smart, or reeeaaal stupid.

Hungry_Homer111

[25]Feb 26, 2009
    • level: 26
    With the older series, there were some things that I liked about it, and some things that I didn't like about it. Mainly, I thought that it was sometimes just too cheesy for the main idea of the show, and the characters were flat, as has been said. There were very interesting things about it as well. For example, the way they included mythology into the story. And And some of the individual stories were actually pretty interesting.

I think the best thing to do would be to kind of combine certain aspects of the two shows. Get deeper characters (or as deep as a movie would allow), and a more serious tone, but it doesn't really have to be as serious as this one. After all, if it is trying to appeal to the fans of the old show, then it should try to remain somewhat close to what that show as about. I just think they could do without, say, the trips to those cheesy clubs, and the toy dog and stuff like that. I think that my1sunshine does have a good idea. Have Richard Hatch (who has worked on both shows, and can take the best of both worlds, while appealing to those fans of the original) be part of the creative team. And as I said before, it wouldn't hurt to have his face appear on screen as well, so that it can serve as yet another bridge between the different BSG projects (in terms of what's on the screen, not so much the creative proccess), and have somebody we know as a strong actor as well.

zerbleflip

[26]Feb 27, 2009
    ScnJedi wrote:

Or it could be a fun Sunday afternoon popcorn movie. Until we see anything, we can't know for sure.

Also, as much as it's hated, the best of the Trek movies so far is easily Generations.

I may be showing my age, but the finest of the Trek filme in terms of story, structure, pacing and characterisation remains The Wrath of Khan in my opinion.

As to a Larson-produced movie, it's hard to see how anything of the original series could thrive today; audiences are far too sophisticated in their expectations. Unless Larson is aiming at something for the "younger gneration"....in which case one's mind instantly recalls Frakes' misguided "Thunderbirds" lash-up....

Either way, "Eeep!"

Jammet

[27]Feb 28, 2009
    • level: 10
    MrBovineOrdure wrote:

I must be alone in thinking "Undiscovered Country" was the best Trek movie.

You aren't.

MrShotShot

[28]Mar 1, 2009
    • level: 15
    That's just rediculous. While enjoyable, folks seem to forget that the original Battlestar was simply one of dozens of Star Wars rip-offs that were thrown into production in the late 70s. It just happened to do a bit better than the other ones, but it never really was a ratings success even by that era's standards.

MichaudMR

[29]Mar 1, 2009
    • level: 17
    I respectfully disagree that the Original BSG was a "rip off" of anything. Star Wars opened the door and woke the masters of our main stream media up to the potential of Science Fiction as a viable genre (as opposed to a cultish niche) Thus giving writers and producers such as Larsen a shot at bringing their concepts to a wider audience. Gene Roddenberry also benefited with a second shot at Star Trek because of Star Wars.

my1sunshine

[30]Mar 1, 2009

MichaudMR wrote:
    I respectfully disagree that the Original BSG was a "rip off" of anything. Star Wars opened the door and woke the masters of our main stream media up to the potential of Science Fiction as a viable genre (as opposed to a cultish niche) Thus giving writers and producers such as Larsen a shot at bringing their concepts to a wider audience. Gene Roddenberry also benefited with a second shot at Star Trek because of Star Wars.

Thank you. As I've stated Larson had been working on the story since the late 60's. Star Wars was just a window of opportunity, as it was for many at the time.

hazelnut144

[31]Mar 1, 2009
    As much as I couldn't stand original BSG, I will have to agree with the two above posts. It just came out around Star Wars, and, like many other shows, got compared all the time. I don't think it can ever compare to RDM's BSG, but I think that for its time it was pretty good.