TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

How can non US fans watch BSG legally without waiting months/years

MN0062x

[1]Jan 9, 2009
    • level: 6

The answer is they can't.

I really love BSG as a show and I believe that, if I am to be fair to those creators, actors and crew who were responsible for this show, I should contribute to them for their hard work.

Now I want to watch the rest of the last season along with US fans from the 16 Jan and abit later the UK. If I don't do this then I will basically have to stop using the Internet until it is shown as spoilers to what happens will be everywhere. Who is the final Cylon, what happened to earth, etc would be on Digg, TV.Com, TVRage, YouTube, Newssites, Fansites, etc

Obviously, I can't move there for six months, get a room with a TV and Sci-fi channel. So what are my other options? Can I watch it on SciFi? No, no foreigners allowed. Can I buy it from Sci-Fi. No, Amazon does the selling of shows online. OK, Amazon, can I buy the shows from you. No, no foreigners allowed. OK.

Well i live in Australia, and the only legal options for me are to wait 6 months for the DVD boxed set or 12 months (Channel 10 is far behind).

The standard answer as to why they can't sell to me is licencing restrictions. Well who's licencing restrictions? It's not a law they have to follow "I would love to help but..." it's a clause in a contract they negotiated. They decided they would author this contract and sign it so it is their fault. NBC-Universal, Sci-Fi, Amazon are all to blame for this. As soon as the DVD boxed set is available in the US I can buy it so why can't I download the shows. They are ignoring an income stream because of an outdated business model that worked before bittorrent, but is outdated now, hurting tyheir business and angering their potential customers.

Now come 17th Jan, BitTorrent will run hot with downloads of the show and not a cent will go back to the creators. Alot of the people who are downloading are like me who would not mind paying a fair price but are barred from doing this.Why won't these organisations look at the potential here.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

invadermidnight

[2]Jan 9, 2009
    • level: 14
    My completely honest answer is download when they air (illegal downloading is bad, mmkay) and then pay for the set when it comes out. I download things all the time for the very reason I'm not a patient man but as an artist I understand and wanna support the people who I think deserve it, the people working very hard to put out things of quality that I enjoy and my embarrassingly massive dvd collection will attest to that.

MN0062x

[3]Jan 9, 2009
    Buying the DVD's is a good idea and it does give the creators a cash return, but with MKV downloads at 720p, it wouldn't be worth taking the DVD's out the plastic.

psychickiller

[4]Jan 10, 2009
    • level: 9
    You're right, they are hurting themselves with these restrictions.

I don't know how long will it take for BSG to be broadcasted here, so I'm afraid I'm forced to watch it via a different method which gives them no income.

lyjobu

[5]Jan 26, 2009
    • level: 4
    I'm not a Cylon (I think) so I'm not as tech saaavy as most, but can't you just use a web proxy with the IP set as a US address in order to watch episodes on-line? I would assume they may be some minor buffering issues, but that gives you time to grab a pint or post theories.

sheli20

[6]Jan 26, 2009
    • level: 8
    The episodes can be seen in youtube in parts (youtube has a limit of 10 minutes per clip)

lyjobu

[7]Jan 26, 2009
    • level: 4
    Oh I just remembered. Dailymotion has episodes. That's a French youtube-ish site.

eater11

[8]Feb 1, 2009
    • level: 18
    Well as of Yesterday Austalia's Sci Fi Channel is airing the new eps around 8 or so hours after the US.

Tadanga

[9]Feb 1, 2009
    • level: 3

There is streaming software that allows you to watch SciFi live ( TVU Player is great ) but since BSG comes on at 3am my time, I still prefer downloading the episodes 3 hours later.

Getting locked out of the official site is their loss.

racoon_boy

[10]Feb 1, 2009
    • level: 2

eater11 wrote:
    Well as of Yesterday Austalia's Sci Fi Channel is airing the new eps around 8 or so hours after the US.

This.

Also, I download most shows I watch, and then buy the DVDs when they come out. I thought that was what most people did. >_>

Daxx00004

[11]Feb 1, 2009
    • level: 9
    Can you buy the episodes from Amazon.com when you are international? I am not sure but they are $1.99 an episode if you can. They have the most recent episodes available for download there.

Tsanii

[12]Feb 2, 2009
    • level: 10
    Not to my knowledge. International Amazon sites don't have all the features that Amazon-US has.

I download, and buy the DVD sets when they come out. Then delete them off my computer. I did that with the first half of season 4, even though I already have Razor on DVD.

inad1212

[13]Feb 2, 2009

Hulu.com has the episodes everyweek. So you can try that.

Edited on 02/02/2009 7:02pm

sheli20

[14]Feb 3, 2009
    inad1212 wrote:

Hulu.com has the episodes everyweek. So you can try that.

Hulu.com can only be viewed from the US as well

inad1212

[15]Feb 3, 2009
    Yea I thought that might be the case since no one else said Hulu.com. Good looking out Sheli.
    Edited on 02/03/2009 4:45am

AndreasOS

[16]Feb 3, 2009

invadermidnight wrote:
    My completely honest answer is download when they air (illegal downloading is bad, mmkay) and then pay for the set when it comes out. I download things all the time for the very reason I'm not a patient man but as an artist I understand and wanna support the people who I think deserve it, the people working very hard to put out things of quality that I enjoy and my embarrassingly massive dvd collection will attest to that.

This is what I do. I don't feel bad at all about downloading them. I've bought every box set so far, and Razor. In fact I bought the miniseries seperately before I realised it was included in the Season 1 Box Set.

As soon as Season 5/4.5/whatever they release it as, comes out, I'll buy that too, then The Plan.

I know it's illegal to download it, but, frankly, I cant afford to wait till it's on tv wherever I happen to be at the time.