TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

How many classes of battlestars where there? (Spoilers)

wedgeantilles54

[1]Nov 17, 2006
    • level: 12

In Hero its revealed that Adama commanded another battlestar the year prior to the attack on the twelve colonies

Based upon the shots i saw it looks slighlty different from the Pegaus and not like galactica either. Also the interor shots of the CIC don't match either one which leads me to wounder how many different classes of battlestar there where or if the valkaryie is actually a different class of battlestar or not

anyone else have anythoughts on this?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

DarqAli

[2]Nov 18, 2006
    • level: 1
    Galactica was very old, and about to be retired to museum status.

Pegasus was the newest, most advanced model, "state of the art".

So, Valkrie was in between, newer than Galactica but not as advanced in design as Pegasus.

Note we have another Norse name, to go with Ragnar Station, and there was another, too I forget what, but we've had several Norse references now.

Moviemaster2222

[3]Nov 18, 2006
    • level: 16
    I believe that the colonial fleet only had battle stars, the only differences between them was how advanced one was to the other.

jeff_mysteron

[4]Nov 18, 2006
    • level: 6
    Unlike Trek, each Battlestar may be unique - sort of like a building rather than a car.

Each Battlestar might be similar in basic design with landing bays, a CIC - but the rest could be purpose built based on what was required at the time and advances in design/technology.

Most ships are subtilly different from other ships of the same design.

majwdy

[5]Nov 19, 2006
    • level: 5
    This could be true. But they could all also just have the same desighn except with each new more advanced one could be whne they change the way it looks insid.

wedgeantilles54

[6]Nov 19, 2006

i can see that but also if one looks at the articles on Battlestar wiki it classifies the Pegasus as a Mercury class battlestar, so its possible that there are multiple battlestars of any given class and also keep in mind that Galactica was one of 12 battlestars that where orginaly built and it can be asumed they where all the same class.

facewweasel

[7]Nov 19, 2006
    • level: 10

some help on this i was thinking the valkryie was the top battlestar and the pegues was 2 and galactica was the most basic of the battlestars

Also they said they had a stealth ship was that like the nightbird the one they built on galactica or was the valkryie had stealth.

wedgeantilles54

[8]Nov 19, 2006

The stealth ship was what Bulldog was piloting and it was not nearly as stealthy as the Blackbrid. Also i doubt the valkriye had any sort of stealth technology in its design cause as best as i can tell it never crossed the line, only the supposedly stealth ship bulldog was piloting did

jcastro20111

[9]Nov 20, 2006
    • level: 7
    I do not think that battlestars only vary in design by model years, but mainly what kind of missions they are expected to perform.

There were probably numerous classes of battlestars based on what it was designed for. Different battlestar classes were probably specialized for manuverability, aircraft capacity, and firepower.

facewweasel

[10]Nov 20, 2006

i guess that last post is right kinda of like the modern miltary with the design and puposes for the mission

but here's a ? 4 everybody where's the nightbird?

wedgeantilles54

[11]Nov 20, 2006

Um there is no ship called nightbird and if you mean the blackbrid it go destroyed in part 2 of resurection ship last season

I think the post about how each class was desigend for different missions and such makes the most sense so far

Maurizio2012

[12]Nov 20, 2006
    • level: 2
    Well honestly, I don't think they vary according to mission types. As far as I understood it, the Battlestars have a very long serving time, compared to let's say Vipers (how many versions are there between the Battlestar Vipers and the new Vipers?). Plus, they are supposed to be the ultimate warmachines, combining artillery, command ship, carrier, point-defense weapons, etc. Of course they are made so they are completely autonomous too.
    So I dont really think they are constructed in a mission-specific way.

wedgeantilles54

[13]Nov 20, 2006

I think that the question that needs to be asked is how is the term battlestar used by the colonial fleet is it genaric term for a warship or only for specfic type of warship?

Also we do know that there are at least 2 know classes of battlestars, the number is probably higher but not something that we will know anytime soon. The other thing that has been nagging me is the colonial fleet made up of just battlestars or where there other types of warships in the fleet. Since battlestars seem to be the equvilant to a cross between and aircraaft carrier and a battleship/battlecrusier it would make sense that there where other types of ships in the fleet.

I'd love to hear what others think on this

Ori_Prior

[14]Nov 20, 2006
    • level: 4

I am 99.9% positive that the Battlestar Galactica was not the first nor the 12th Battlestar or Battlestar type vessel ever made.

Look at the patch for the Battlestar Galactica (or the coat of arms, whatever you want to call it) it says BSG 75 at the bottom which leads me to one of two conclusions.

1) It is in fact one of the original 12 Battlestars created (which I am 99.9% sure it's not) but is the 75th fleet vessel ever created, not just Battlestars.

2) This is what I truly believe. In the mini-series they say that the Battlestar Galactica represented Caprica as one of 12 Battlestars created for the cylon war. They also say that it was specially created to to not be harmed by Cylon viruses. It was one of 12 Battlestars built for just that reason. Judging by the number on the patch it was in fact the 75th Battlestar ever created.

If you don't believe that rewatch last week's "Hero" look at the patch for the Valkries it has a higher number than the Galactica, then rewatch an episode with the Pegasus it has a higher number than the Valkries.

That number represents when it was created in conjunction with other Battlestars.

Edited on 11/20/2006 7:38pm

3dot14_basic

[15]Nov 20, 2006
    • level: 5
    Ori_Prior wrote:

If you don't believe that rewatch last week's "Hero" look at the patch for the Valkries it has a higher number than the Galactica, then rewatch an episode with the Pegasus it has a higher number than the Valkries.

That number represents when it was created in conjunction with other Battlestars.

A problem with that: Valkyrie is BSG 41 and Pegasus is, if I recall correctly BSG 62.

Frankly I think it's quite possible the number's are just randomly assigned... Or even starting at certain levels. like from 71 to 82 are the first 12 ships... Or "75th battlegroup" (like "7th Fleet")

So maybe we are reading too much into the numbers.
    Edited on 11/20/2006 8:27pm
    Edited 2 total times.

wedgeantilles54

[16]Nov 21, 2006

If remeber correctly BSG on the patch stands for Battlestar Group so it would mean galactica was part of or is battlestar Group 75 (which could be equivliant to a task force in the U.S Navy)  Click here for article on this at Battlestarwiki

If i remember correctly, they say it was at some point in the show it was one of the orignal 12 battlestars, so prehaps the group number came later

The following is a link to the information Battlestar Wiki has on the various battlestars that have mentioned or seen so far in the series Click Here

Edited on 11/21/2006 5:56pm
    Edited 2 total times.

wedgeantilles54

[17]Nov 23, 2006

This just occured to me if you read some of the early ron more interviews there is a breif part where he mentions that battlestars are the equivilant of aricraft carries and there is a mention of them being supported by other colonial fleet vessels. So How is it we never have seen even in the flashbacks anyother colonial fleet vessels which should be supporting the battlestars based on the info above.

facewweasel

[18]Nov 24, 2006

i guess i forgot the name of the stealth ship.

shouldn't the galactica go back and try to salvage part of the peguess?

also your sure it was on peguess not galactica?

wedgeantilles54

[19]Nov 25, 2006

facewweasel wrote:

shouldn't the galactica go back and try to salvage part of the peguess?

also your sure it was on peguess not galactica?

Thats a question for another thread and the Blackbrid was destroyed in season 2 in the second part of Resurection Ship, it was never on the Pegasus, the only other stealth ship we have seen was launched from the Valkriye and destroyed by it over a year before the events in the mini series.

Anyway anyone have any thoughts about what i said in my perivous post

Edited on 11/25/2006 8:12am

123home123

[20]Nov 25, 2006
    • level: 55
    wedgeantilles54 wrote:

This just occured to me if you read some of the early ron more interviews there is a breif part where he mentions that battlestars are the equivilant of aricraft carries and there is a mention of them being supported by other colonial fleet vessels. So How is it we never have seen even in the flashbacks anyother colonial fleet vessels which should be supporting the battlestars based on the info above.

We have seen the support vessels. Several of the ships that we see in the shots of the entire fleet are support/supply ships.