Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

HUGE plothole... um HUGE spoilers

Vermic

[1]Feb 14, 2009
    • level: 5

Uh the ressurection ship was destroyed WAY BEFORE New Caprica...

So why in the newest episode does the Cavil model act like it JUST happened when he comes to Ellen...

Wow such a huge gaping plothole man. How did they mess this up?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MajLorne

[2]Feb 14, 2009
    • level: 21
    There are more than one resurection ships. There was a resurection hub that was destroyed in the first part of season 4. The destruction of this hub is what makes resurection impossible except for the remaining resurection ships still out there.

anthem47

[3]Feb 14, 2009
    • level: 6
    Vermic wrote:

Uh the ressurection ship was destroyed WAY BEFORE New Caprica...

So why in the newest episode does the Cavil model act like it JUST happened when he comes to Ellen...

Wow such a huge gaping plothole man. How did they mess this up?

They destroyed a Resurrection SHIP in the middle of season 2, but by the time of the New Caprica Exodus they have another one in range. Cavil comes to Ellen in the middle of Season 4 when they destroyed the Resurrection HUB. I'm not totally clear on this, but it seems like the Hub works as the 'brain' for the resurrection process (which is why Cavil needs Ellen to build a new one), where as the Ships are more like roving remote outposts or range boosters. Resurrection still happens on board, but somehow they need their uplink to the Hub to make it work.

It's fair enough to be confused though...in the Resurrection Ship 2 parter it is implied that taking out this ship will end resurrection permanently and, I might be wrong, but I think the Cylons react the same way. And somewhere in the podcasts, I think Ron Moore even implied that that was the intention but they must have realised (thankfully) that they took the downloading process away from the Cylons way too early, so the function of the Res. Ship was retconned a little.

I might be wrong about the retconning, they might have always intended the Ship-Hub relationship to work that way, but it looks a bit dodgy.

scififan12921

[4]Feb 15, 2009
    • level: 6
    I think that when they destroyed the resurrection ship in season 2 they believed the goal was to disable the cylon fleet that was following them so closely. I don't think they believed they got rid of it entirely. Now, the when the hub was destroyed they believed that they could no longer resurrect. Cavil mentions a colony but I think only his model knows it exists.

MichaudMR

[5]Feb 15, 2009
    • level: 17

At the bottom of the screen they ran a subtitle which established the event of Ellen's downloading during the occupation of New Caprica and before the Cylon Civil War. The scene where Cavil wakes her up with a drink and asks for her help in constructing a new resurrection facility happened just after the Hub was destroyed.

At least we now know that the original five can download.

Mangalore

[6]Feb 16, 2009
    • level: 7
    [QUOTE="anthem47"]
    Vermic wrote:
    ... It's fair enough to be confused though...in the Resurrection Ship 2 parter it is implied that taking out this ship will end resurrection permanently and, I might be wrong, but I think the Cylons react the same way. ...

Uhm, I always took it as what it appeared: The Cylons lost resurrection so the Colonials got a chance to shoot some of them knowing they can't come back. That was the big boost. It was just latter implied that the harrassing Raiders turnt to hit and run attacks as risk freer tactics as long as they don't get reinforcements/resurrection.

Concerning the Hub it was explicitly said that this will destroy their capability to resurrect for good. You have to consider that several Cylons were resurrected on what appeared to be basestars so the resurrection ship and the Hub must have some more complicated function than just the mechanical/organical component.