TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

I Don't get it

rfresa

[1]Dec 6, 2010
    • level: 8

I have heard that this show is highly rated, but haven't found it that great so far. I watched Caprica and found that intriguing, but this show just eludes me for some reason. Robots that have a religion? It's too weird, and the characters are too strange. I am a huge fan of Firefly and Doctor Who, and am always looking for more great sci-fi shows with adventure and great stories, but this one is just too intense and humorless for me, I think. I just can't get into it.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

rfresa

[2]Dec 6, 2010
    • level: 8
    A question about the BSG universe: Would you say this is an alternate universe in which the Roman empire never fell? Someone told me that, and I'm wondering if it's true.

kickdoor

[3]Dec 7, 2010
    • level: 14

I'm near the end of the second season, and why I am enjoying it, I don't think it's going to end up being one of my top-tier shows.

Well they would be descended from Greeks not Romans(names of the Gods are Grecian not Roman), but I don't think they are either way. Because,

***SPOILER***

JonathonWhiti

[4]Dec 9, 2010
    • level: 3

rfresa wrote:

I have heard that this show is highly rated, but haven't found it that great so far. I watched Caprica and found that intriguing, but this show just eludes me for some reason. Robots that have a religion? It's too weird, and the characters are too strange. I am a huge fan of Firefly and Doctor Who, and am always looking for more great sci-fi shows with adventure and great stories, but this one is just too intense and humorless for me, I think. I just can't get into it.

It's a great show. If you don't like intense and humorless it's not your type of show. It has it's funny moment, but in general it's not very funny.
    rfresa wrote:
    A question about the BSG universe: Would you say this is an alternate universe in which the Roman empire never fell? Someone told me that, and I'm wondering if it's true.
    Answering that would leave major spoilers revealed. If you watch the series through you will get your answer, but not much more can be said about that without ruining it for you.

*EDIT* I'm currently on my second watch of the show. Just started yesterday.

Edited on 12/09/2010 8:08pm

filmgoer4life

[5]Dec 15, 2010
    • level: 5
    Did you start in on the first season? Or did you watch the mini-series first? Watching the mini-series may help a little to get the context and to establish the rules of engagement for the show.

kanniballl

[6]Jan 5, 2011
    • level: 18

rfresa wrote:

No, they are not from Earth but another group of planets looking for Earth. I mean, that's been the whole point since the first episode (we should find Earth). Earth isn't where they come from. The whole Roman / Greek god similarity thing is odd and both in the old series and the new series a simple explanation can be imagined.

As for Earth, the story is this according to their recorded history / religion.

- Humanity started on Kobol, a planet, and lived along-side gods (that had the names of our Roman gods)
    - There was horrible event (later confirmed a war between god and man) and the inhabitants all fled the planet
    - Most of the inhabitants went in the same direction and setup 12 colony planets in/around the same solar system
    - A 13th tribe went in a completely different direction from the rest, and settled on a planet called Earth
    - Some religious records from the days of Kobol have vague clues about where Earth is (very vague).
    - The texts also mention that "All of this has happened before"

After the Cyon attack, the fleet (main characters) go in search of this last/lost colony called Earth to live with a safe human habitat.

There's a lot more to the story, including some twists involving humanity and Earth. But I don't want to ruin it for you since it sounds like you are either early into the show or haven't seen it yet.

Edited on 01/05/2011 9:58am
    Edited 2 total times.