Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

I like the old show AND the new show

redjacket3827

[1]Feb 18, 2006
    • level: 4
    I was about 6 years old when the first BSG came out back in 1978. And for its time, it was good.

Now as a thirtysomething, I enjoy the new BSG.

Am I the only one that still likes both?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

BattlestarQ

[2]Feb 18, 2006
    • level: 8
    redjacket3827 wrote:
    I was about 6 years old when the first BSG came out back in 1978. And for its time, it was good.

Now as a thirtysomething, I enjoy the new BSG.

Am I the only one that still likes both?

Heck no you are not alone bud. I like both series as well and I am 40 something. I was 13 and an avid Sci-fi fan ever since I saw Star Wars (what is now refered to episode 4) on the big screen. Heck as I travel back in time. In 1978 I dont think VCR's were even out yet. So if you missed a show you missed the show. I forget now what day of the week it was on but that night I was home to watch it. As I am these days on a Friday night to Watch This Great series we are blessed with.

BisquickDynamo

[3]Feb 19, 2006
    • level: 2
    I'm 24 and was born well past the run of BSG and I still like the original series. I was introduced to it via comic books and leftover materials from when my brother was into it.

I think BSGs brand of cowboy space opera still very much has it's place and I kind of miss that in the new BSG. The new BSG lacks that cathartic "why don't you just punch that dirty toaster in the face" thrill that the original had.

123home123

[4]Feb 19, 2006
    • level: 55
    I think the two Stargate series have some of the cheerful optimism of the old BSG, though they wisely stayed away from the cheesier elements of the original BSG. No outer space discos, retro "quasi futuristic" uniforms (like ones Dr. Evil would make) and pig-mask aliens.

FrakkingFrakker

[5]Feb 20, 2006
    • level: 28
    I think it's entirely possible to like both shows. I discovered the original BSG in my youth through various sources none of which I have retained the knowledge of. (I don't know where I saw it or how I learned of it.)

In any case, I like both. I will admit to liking the new version better.

The times we live in now are darker and this show reflects that. The 70's and 80's were a different time. (As if that needed to be said.) and these are different shows. I like them both.

No matter how good Katee Sackhoff is, she'll never be the Starbuck that Dirk Benedict was. There's no comparison. They're two different people.

I swear I had a point to make when I started this post.

BattlestarQ

[6]Feb 20, 2006
    • level: 8
    lol

BisquickDynamo

[7]Feb 21, 2006
    • level: 2
    FrakkingFrakker wrote:
    I think it's entirely possible to like both shows. I discovered the original BSG in my youth through various sources none of which I have retained the knowledge of. (I don't know where I saw it or how I learned of it.)

The times we live in now are darker and this show reflects that. The 70's and 80's were a different time. (As if that needed to be said.) and these are different shows. I like them both.

No matter how good Katee Sackhoff is, she'll never be the Starbuck that Dirk Benedict was. There's no comparison. They're two different people.

I think people choose to say that "we live in dark times" to justify darker more sadistic entertainment when it's not valid. I'm not saying you are saying this, or that BSG is sadistic, but I hear that line a lot. As crazy as this decade has been it's purely nothing compared to the 60's and 70's. I mean... terrorism is one thing... imagine tons of major leaders being SHOT in the middle of the day, people being hosed by the police for protesting in the street, an equally nonsensical war as Iraq but without even the thin layer of retroactive justification, and american citizins divided by various creeds enacting terrorism on each other. It was nutty.

So.. yeah. I don't think dark subeject matter is a mirror of our times, only the whim of our dark hearts.

seanconery

[8]Feb 22, 2006
    • level: 10
    FrakkingFrakker wrote:

I'm pretty sure katee Sackhoff is a much better Starbuck than Dirk Benedict ever was. The acting in the old BSG was nothign short of horrific and the show was cheesy even for it's time. It was mainly popular with kids, which is why I think so many people still say they like it because you always remember things being better than they were. I really think there is no comparison between the new and the old, it's unfair because they are onl two totally different levels. The new BSG is in the upper echelon of good tv whereas the old BSG is toward the bottom with subpar acting and writing.

FrakkingFrakker

[9]Feb 22, 2006
    • level: 28
    Please, don't misunderstand me. Perhaps that was the point I was missing. They are two different entities. The shows, the actors. Everything. There really is no comparison. Which is one of the reasons it is okay to like both.

I totally agree, looking at the old BSG now, it's not spectacular...maybe vaguely passable and I think a true testament to it's time (remembering I didn't live through those times.) But it taps into a core of memories from my childhood and it was fun then, and great escapism now. Mindless television does have a place otherwise, why have network television at all?

I'm sorry if I'm coming off defensive.

123home123

[10]Feb 22, 2006
    I remember watching the original series when it first aired. (Yes, I'm dating myself a bit.) Since I was a kid and that series was aimed at kids, I enjoyed it a great deal. It was fine for what it was, a cheerful, 70s space-disco, sci-fi adventure series.

I saw some episodes last year when Sci Fi ran a few old BSG marathons and I can say from an adult perspective that the show hasn't aged too well. It is clearly a "70s show," with all the outer space discos, glitzy costumes, and heavy makeup on the women. Some of the ideas were a bit outlandish as well, such as their encounter with the actual Lucifer (Count Iblis), the strange lights and those infamous "pig men." That said, I'm sure it still has its appeal for kids and for others looking for a little nostalgia. I'm not knocking it, but I'm trying to be realistic about the show.

To its credit, the fond memories I had of the original series are why I was eager to see what Ronald Moore came up with when the miniseries was released in December 2003. It goes without saying that I was greatly impressed by the miniseries and then by the regular series. Though some of the novelty has worn off in the second season (which is unavoidable), the show has managed to remain entertaining and thought-provoking.

I don't think the dark tone is necessarily a reflection of a darker age. After all, there are plenty of comedies out there, as well as light-hearted sci-fi shows like Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis (not to mention the strange Tripping the Rift). Everything is easier for most people when they are young kids. Except for the occasional tragic situation, most kids (in the U.S.) don't have to worry about the great issues of life while adults do. This may be why the 70s seemed more sunny to some. I know it was much easier in the 70s for me because I didn't have to worry about bills, taxes, housing issues, employment, networking and relationships. I think my concerns back then were limited to homework, baseball, skiing, boredom, girls and the next family vacation. Simpler and easier yes, but only because of the age difference, not something inherent about the 70s. Every period has its ups and downs, at least in the U.S., so it's always possible to find something to be optimistic or pessimistic about at any given time, whether we're talking about the 70s, today, the distant past or the future.

The new BSG remains one of my favorite currently airing shows, but if there is another original BSG marathon on Sci Fi, I'll check out a few episodes. Of course, I haven't watched that many scripted shows in recent weeks because of the Olympics. (I'm kind of an Olympic alpine skiing and speedskating fanatic and many of the other sports aren't that bad to watch either.) Fortunately I have the new DVR, so I'll catch up on BSG and other shows soon.

JeronimoJackson

[11]Feb 22, 2006
    • level: 1
    Nicely written, Bisquick.

And I have to agree that they're two totally different shows. The original series was like disco sci-fi. The new one is closer in spirit to, I dunno, Band of Brothers or something like that. It's military drama (with theology, politics, and existentialism thrown in).

123home123

[12]Feb 22, 2006
    Check this out.

JeronimoJackson

[13]Feb 24, 2006
    • level: 1
    Wow.. that's the first time I saw anything from the original series since I was 8, when it was on the air. I was actually thinking about buying the DVD for the original but watching that made me cringe and I can see how it would get old fast. Thanks, 123home123, you just saved me about $60. ;-)

Im2Crazy4U

[14]Feb 24, 2006
    • level: 51
    123home123 wrote:
    Check this out.

MMmmmm ... now I remember why I never watched the original.

But thanks for the memories.

maximumattack

[15]Feb 24, 2006
    • level: 10
    No, I like them both, too. I miss Lorne Green.

123home123

[16]Feb 24, 2006
    JeronimoJackson wrote:
    Wow.. that's the first time I saw anything from the original series since I was 8, when it was on the air. I was actually thinking about buying the DVD for the original but watching that made me cringe and I can see how it would get old fast. Thanks, 123home123, you just saved me about $60. ;-)

Do I get a commission?