Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

I watched a series finale yesterday and I am wondering...

dimushi

[1]Jan 6, 2011
    • level: 17

I watched series finale yesterday. I can say that for me, it was one of the, if not the best series finale ever. And is the best series ever... well, along with Prison Break for me, but that's not the point.

What I wanted to ask is this.

The character I loved the most and is the best character in a whole TV universe, and this character quite put me on interest for the series, because I didn't like Galactica in the beginning as much but I continued and I'm glad, because of one character - Gaius Baltar.

He is just magnificent.

But I don't understand one thing. Throughout whole series he is told that he has a purpose, he will lead humanity and such on... etc.

But why was he important, what did he had to do anyway? I know he started it all... but that can't be all? Was he meant to convince number 1 at the end or what? Could someone please explain to me his purpose...? Because this is my favorite character in TV and movies...

And what was that in the end... in our time? He and six? He resurrected? But how? He isn't a Cylon... did others resurrect as well? Or was those two "angels" that were watching Caprica 6 and Baltar throughout the series?

And when Chief kills one of the final five (president's assistant), building a resurrection failed and number 1 put's a bullet in his mouth in the end... did he resurrect or did he just kill himself so humans wouldn't torture him?

And why did Adama made a sudden change of hearts? What did he ask Anders and what did he replied to him that made him make such a sudden move?

Please answer these question, I want the closure for this magnificent series.

Edited on 01/06/2011 4:15am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kanniballl

[2]Jan 6, 2011
    • level: 18

Those were the angels / messengers we saw through most of the series. They kept the Gaius/Six form so we could know that the 2 Messengers were still around, talking about how it was all starting up again, and stretching their legs so they can once again play their parts by nudging key people into doing certain things.

If they'd been just 2 random people it could just be seen as 2 regular joes having an excistential converstaion. They tend to take the appearance of someone their target can related to, thus far we've only seen them take the form of someone the target cares about or the target themselves.

They're neither good nor evil, nor is their God... just forces of nature. On one hand, they helped nudge humanity along the lines to survive the genocide. On the other hand, apparently they also nudged Zoe into creating the Cylons in "Caprica."

They serve "some" higher power, that apparently does "not" like to be referred to as God. However they use the name "God" when talking to us since it's probably all we can understand. Apparently an interview with one of the writers suggest that their just beings so advanced that they just appear magical/godlike to us, like the beings-of-white from the original BSG series.

Angels / Messengers also apparently appeared on Earth 1.0 before Sal and the rest of the Final Five left. They were messengers of change and tried to nudge certain people into some events. Just before Anders fell into his final coma, he mentioned that they were appearing to some people and warning them that the end was approaching.

They also appeared on the colonies during the events of the TV show "Caprica." One messenger took the form of Zoe and nudged her a few times in her life: leading her out of a fire as a child, suggesting she create artificial life, etc.

Edited on 01/06/2011 10:28am

kanniballl

[3]Jan 6, 2011
    • level: 18

dimushi wrote:

And when Chief kills one of the final five (president's assistant), building a resurrection failed and number 1 put's a bullet in his mouth in the end... did he resurrect or did he just kill himself so humans wouldn't torture him?

No, the Cylons no longer had Resurrection technology. They didn't have the knowledge or plans, just the original Resurrection Hub which was given to them and was destroyed in the final season. This is different than the Resurrection Ships which we saw in Season 1/2, which used the Hub to do all of the main work.

No Hub = No Resurrection = One is dead. Unless one of his copies avoided the final battle together, in which case a version of him might've survived.

Earth 1.0 was inhabited by Kobol-built Cylons many millenium ago. Being Cylons, they were quite advanced (centuries or millenium more-so than the 12 colonies). The organic models gave up resurrection in favor of living a life with children, but eventually built metal cylons again to do the menial labor. The cylons rebelled and Earth 1.0 destroyed itself.

The "Final Five" were researchers that were re-discovering the ancient resurrection technology centuries ago. Messengers / Angels came to some of them and said that they better hurry because Earth 1.0 was about to destroy itself in war. They finished just in time, and uploaded into their device (an entire ship) at the start of the war. Each member of the Final Five knew their own part /specialtyin the rediscovery and construction, which is why they needed to merge memories at the end.

All they had left was their Resurrection ship, which lacked Jump Drives so it took centuries (millenum?) to reach the colonies. They hoped they make it in time to warn them to not make their mistake and to treat the metal cylons like equals. They were too late: the war had already started.

To stop the war, they offered the Cylons the ability to create Organic models as well as the Resurrection technology. However they only gave them the resurrection hardware, they didn't teach them how to build it.

This brings us to the finale: without the hub the Cylons can no longer resurrect and (except for Hera) could not reproduce, making them a doomed race. So they kidnapped Hera to learn how to reproduce so their race could continue in at least some form (without the mixing of humans). That's when the Final Five offered them the technology at the end under the condition that they leave Hera and humanity alone.

But when the Chief killed her, the technology was lost (her piece of the puzzle was gone) and everyone started shooting. Seeing it as all pointless now anyway, "One" took his own life. After all, the Cylons couldn't reproduce by themselves, couldn't resurrect, and he was probably going to be shot very soon anyway.

dimushi wrote:

But I don't understand one thing. Throughout whole series he is told that he has a purpose, he will lead humanity and such on... etc.

But why was he important, what did he had to do anyway? I know he started it all... but that can't be all?

Was he meant to convince number 1 at the end or what? Could someone please explain to me his purpose...? Because this is my favorite character in TV and movies...

He was quite important, he did a LOT to move things along due to the nudging of his Messenger / Angel. He saved Hera a few times, kept humanity and some of the cylons heading to earth, brought humanity and the cylons together, kick-started the war, etc.

I don't know what his one-big-moment might be considered, though I guess it was in the finale when he helped save Hera. After all, the visions were constantly about he and Six saving Hera and bringing her through a closing door into the Opera House. But in the end, the destroyed Bridge along with the Final Five standing in lights looked a LOT like their Opera House vision so that was probably the big moment. Then his speech calmed everyone down and allowed the final acts to play out.

Hera was the big important piece to humanity's survival. She is Mitochondrial Eve that the news reports are talking about in the final voice-over, the first example of a true "human" (which was a 12-colony human combined with an organic cylon). IE, we're descended from the pairings of the humans and cylons that walked the earth at the end.

Earth 2.0 is the final planet they settle on, and has "our" continents on it. They decided to call it Earth since that's where they were striving to get to for years and it would seem like a loss if that's where they didn't wind up.

Edited on 01/06/2011 11:02am
    Edited 4 total times.

dimushi

[4]Jan 6, 2011
    • level: 17

Thank you for your answers and clearing that out for me, I really appreciate it. And yes, you are right. It doesn't have necessarily be one main thing for Baltar, because when you think about it, he actually was like a puppet master, driving thing in their direction... well, he was the tool for driving things in their direction. And I was glad he and Six were together in the end. When he says that he knows about gardening... that was really beautiful. I watched the whole seasons in a row and I am really connected to the show, too bad it's over. Well, too bad I started so late, now I don't have anyone to discuss the series lol.

Edited on 01/06/2011 1:09pm