Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

I'm confused. Everyone else seems to think...

Azn43ver

[1]May 18, 2008
    • level: 3
    O.k. I am a little confused. Everyone else seems to think that Gaeta singing the cylon bob dylan song as to make some sort of ambiance music or something. Wasn't meant to point out that he was the final cylon. Non of the other four recognised the song when they first heard it so it is safe to assume that the song is not a generally known song. So if Gaeta was sing this song, wouldn't it be safe to assume that he has to be the fifth cylon for knowing the song? If I am way off base please tell me, because I am so confused now.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Lei_K

[2]May 18, 2008
    • level: 11

Personally I don't think the song was meant to suggest he Gaeta was the final cylon. It seemed more like a tone-setting piece. BSG is descending further and further in dark territory and although I thought Gaeta's singing was a bit overdone, in the overall context of the show it seemed to fit well, conveying a sense of despair, loss and hardship in a keen way.

Then again Gaeta has been on several people's list as a good candidate for being the final cylon. So who knows. For this ep I think it was just to help set the tone of the episode but that is just me.

copygeek

[3]May 18, 2008
    • level: 13

Azn43ver wrote:
    O.k. I am a little confused. Everyone else seems to think that Gaeta singing the cylon bob dylan song as to make some sort of ambiance music or something. Wasn't meant to point out that he was the final cylon. Non of the other four recognised the song when they first heard it so it is safe to assume that the song is not a generally known song. So if Gaeta was sing this song, wouldn't it be safe to assume that he has to be the fifth cylon for knowing the song? If I am way off base please tell me, because I am so confused now.

The song Gaeta was singing is NOT the same song (All Along the Watchtower) that was heard by the Final Five. I'm not clear on whether or not the song he sang was by Bob Dylan, but it definitely wasn't the same song.

Agent-930

[4]May 18, 2008
    • level: 6
    I believe Gaeta's song was some kind of prophecy. I don't think he necessarily was aware of it, but I think the song had meaning and we were supposed to listen closely to the words. From another BSG forum, the lyrics to Gaeta's song are as follows.

GAETA'S LAMENT

Alone she sleeps in the shirt of man
    With my three wishes clutched in her hand

The first that she be spared the pain
    That comes from a dark and laughing rain

But wish no more, my life you can take
    To have her, please, just one day wake

When she finds love, may it always stay true
    This I wish for the second wish I made too

To have her, please, just one day wake.

I think he was prophesying about Hera. I think Hera was the one who: sleeps in the "shirt of man" (human clothing or a human life, the one who has his "three wishes" (the hopes for salvation of three peoples -- the humans, the rebel-Cylons, and who? Earth maybe? The bad-Cylons?). The "pain" of the "dark and laughing rain" may refer to the pain of living as a refugee from the human genocide against the colonies, AND the attempted Cylon genocide against the rebel-Cylons. He sings that he will give his own life for her to have just "one day wake." This could mean a day of her fulfilling her destiny, enlightened or aware of her place as a harbinger of some kind of new era for both the Cylons and the Humans.

He sings that he wants her to "find love" and have it "always stay true." This could be reference to her finding her place as a chosen bringer of a new era, fulfilling "God's will" and the hope that she stays "true" or faithful to the destined role. Anyway, just food for thought. My guesses.

tribalchic

[5]May 18, 2008
    • level: 17

"GAETA'S LAMENT

."

I dunno.....that sounds awfully Roslin-esque if she were to be the fifth.

Stingseven

[6]May 19, 2008
    • level: 8
    Thanks for typing out the words to Gaeta's song... now that I can read them, they seem to be talking about Starbuck to me! >Alone she sleeps in the shirt of man - she's wearing the uniform, certainly working on a Battlestar would seem to be a masculine profession.

>The first that she be spared the pain that comes from a dark and laughing rain - let's face it, Kara is not the sunniest girl you'll ever meet

>To have her, please, just one day wake - She does seem to be inexplicably back from the dead!

>When she finds love, may it always stay true - she hasn't had the best luck with men, even her marriage seems a bit jacked up at the moment

I don't know, just thinking out loud.

weirdaaron

[7]May 19, 2008
    Gaeta is not hearing any music, he is singing to get through the pain and mysery of his recent loss. The song doesn't have anything to do with him being the fifth. However, it probably does have some sort of meaning.

GavinGibbons

[8]May 19, 2008
    • level: 29
    Azn43ver wrote:
    dude... that was a different song called "all along the watchtower"

copygeek

[9]May 20, 2008
    • level: 13

Agent-930 wrote:
    From another BSG forum, the lyrics to Gaeta's song are as follows:

GAETA'S LAMENT

To have her, please, just one day wake.

I think it is interesting that in the song he never mentions what his THIRD wish is. He sings that his first wish is "that she be spared the pain comes from a dark and laughing rain." Then, he sings that his second wish is that "when she finds love, may it always stay true." Beyond that, he sings "But wish no more, my life you can take..."

What is the third wish? Is he just giving up the third wish so that he can trade his life for hers? He sings the same refrain after each of the two wishes, so one would think he would sing the refrain after declaring his third wish, as well.

And I think he is singing about D'Anna. I think it is likely he will die around the same time that D'Anna is unboxed.

Edited on 05/20/2008 3:07am
    Edited 2 total times.

GavinGibbons

[10]May 20, 2008
    • level: 29
    I like the D'ana theory... very good

Kaeron

[11]May 25, 2008
    • level: 5

And just to add something about the song gaeta sings : it's definitely NOT a Dylan's song at all. Not All Along The Watchtower nor another. It's an original theme conposed by Bear McCreary and written by Michael Angeli.

So far, "Guess What's Coming to Dinner" is the greatest season 4 episode in my opinion. Just marvellous.

More info on BSG music here : http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/ (and there's an article about this particular episode).

And I totally agree with the D'Anna Theory :

"But wish no more

My life you can take

To have her please just one day wake"

For me it means that Gaeta would (unconsciously, indeed) give his life to make her wake up one day, since the D'Anna's awakening would allow the fleet to find Earth (and salvation). I don't know if he WILL die, but this whole "Sleeping Beauty" thing seems quite oddly related to what's going on with the fleet and the cylon rebels' motivations...

We'll see...

Edited on 05/25/2008 6:30pm

scifijunkyuk

[12]May 26, 2008
    • level: 1

i assumed he was singin bout roslin cos he sang those lines after she is taken by the hybrid. that could mean she is the final cylon? he's too obvious and i think it's gotta b a main character to hav the effect needed to end such an exciting series. i hope it is her cos she's my fav character by miles and im definatley a cylon (the 13th model?)

Ludvico01

[13]Jun 1, 2008
    • level: 4
    Maybe I missed it, but have any of the people associated with BSG (actors, etc.), said that the final cylon is one of the current characters?

goldun

[14]Jun 1, 2008
    I like the Roslin theory.