Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

International air dates in episode guides (poll)

Do U.K., Canadian and Australian air dates need to be included?

123home123

[1]Jul 15, 2008
    • level: 55
    On occasion, I receive submissions that add international air dates to episode guides of BSG. By this, I mean the premiere broadcast dates in the U.K., Canada and Australia. I tend to think these notes are unnecessary unless the episode aired in another country first before the U.S. premiere. (This happened throughout Season 1 and for one episode in Season 4.)

Although I won't necessarily be swayed by the poll results, I'd like to see what other people think about this issue. My concern is that if I allow some air dates, then I will have to allow international air dates for every single episode. Of course, if no source is provided for the submission, I will reject it. It's not my responsibility to track down and verify premiere dates in other countries.

But I am always willing to listen to reasoned arguments from opposing viewpoints. I'd encourage everyone to vote on the poll. Feel free to explain and clarify your vote by posting on this thread. Just keep it polite and respectful toward fans of all countries. Thanks.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Idbeolderifiwas

[2]Jul 15, 2008
    • level: 20
    I think the Canada one is unessessary as it airs here at the same time as it does in the US, but the UK and Australia dates are fun little facts that I don't mind seeing.

MichaudMR

[3]Jul 16, 2008
    • level: 17

I voted "Yes, but only when there is something significant about that air date."

Anything within reason that could make this program or its derivatives more accessible to the widest possible audience is a positive contribution.

I also don't object to folks posting spoilers if they've had access to an installment before it airs in the U.S. (where I live), so long as they us the "spoiler" tag. As a free thinking adult I simply choose not to read the post until after the show is available to my area.

adiav

[4]Jul 29, 2008
    • level: 8
    I voted "yes", because, the option said, I find the info interesting. (And disheartening to know exactly how far behind the rest of the world we here in Australia really are.)

That said, we definitely don't need "re-air/repeat" information in the guide. Some guides have that (as in, this episode re-aired on such-and-such a date), and it just looks daft and clutters up the whole thing.

Original air dates in the aforementioned countries adds to the feeling of inclusion for those of us who are overseas and watch BSG, and also goes to showcase BSG's international appeal.

copygeek

[5]Aug 1, 2008
    • level: 13

adiav wrote:
    I voted "yes", because, the option said, I find the info interesting. (And disheartening to know exactly how far behind the rest of the world we here in Australia really are.)

You're only far behind the rest of us because we're all jealous that you guys get to see into the future everyday (You guys see what for us is tomorrow before we do!)

adiav

[6]Aug 1, 2008
    • level: 8
    copygeek wrote:

adiav wrote:

You're only far behind the rest of us because we're all jealous that you guys get to see into the future everyday (You guys see what for us is tomorrow before we do!)

So we're one day ahead in reality, but a year behind for TV? No fair!

FYI, tomorrow is going to be very windy, cold overnight, and clear skies during the day.

(Also, my friends used to call me "Futuregirl", just for that very reason.)