Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Jumped the shark?

Orangoutan

[1]Feb 13, 2009
    • level: 1

Presented with the most contrived, silly and down right bloody awful two-part epsiode in the history of Battlestar Galactica, if not TV as a whole, one really has to state that the show has jumped the shark, mile ****** high. Something is wrong when you actually prefer the main cast to be killed off, and even if you knew that the coup d'├ętat would fail you really hope it wouldnt be so.

Granted that the clip-episode (aka the boxing episode) perhaps was worse, but as stated, that was a clip-episode with little bearing on the shows story arch.

I actually had to check if they'd changed writers (not the case).

This will be the last episode of BG ill see until the show is ended, then ill ask trusted friends if it was worth watching and re-evaluate the situation. Given the show declining quality my hopes are low, which is a real shame for a show starting out with as much potential.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Kondix

[2]Feb 13, 2009
    • level: 11
    I can only coment it this way... you have to be ironic about this... if not then your opinion is pretty damn lonely...
    Both most critics AND most fans loved this episode... I mean, you are of course entitled to your opinion... but I can only disagree with it.

psychickiller

[3]Feb 13, 2009
    • level: 9
    It feels like... I have no idea what you're talking about.

scififan12921

[4]Feb 13, 2009
    • level: 6
    I must respectfully disagree-I think the quality has gone up since the second half of the season began. However the great thing about these forums is everyone can say what they think.

123home123

[5]Feb 13, 2009
    • level: 55
    Hmm, considering that the total episode score for these two episodes are among the highest of the entire series and among the best on TV.com as a whole, I don't think many people agree with you.

my1sunshine

[6]Feb 14, 2009
    • level: 12
    I've been reading your comments, and can only come to the conclusion that you're trying to stir things up. I mean c'mon man, what show are you watching? You know by your last few comment answers you've gotten, no ones gonna agree with you on this site.

MajLorne

[7]Feb 14, 2009
    • level: 21
    If you are referring to the OP of this thread then I totally agree. How can anyone not like these last 2 episodes? This is what totally makes this show great being how volitile and unpredictable things can be till there is a calm. It's drama at its best.

MetaLuna

[8]Feb 14, 2009
    • level: 5

I'm going to assume that the two episodes referenced are the mutiny ones... not including Feb 13's, which was fabulous. I really didn't like those two episodes. I don't think the show "jumped the shark" but the whle storyline felt like filler to me. Oh no! Not MORE insurrection within the fleet! And ZAREK is involved? The hell you say! Next thing you're going to tell me that Adama gets righteously indignant and - OH!! There it is! No WAY!

It didn't ruin the series, but come on. What the hell was so great about that story arc? Other than, thank God, finally getting rid of those two jerks.

moviebuff82

[9]Feb 15, 2009
    • level: 11
    Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion. I just find it interesting that people want answers throughout the entire show, but when the writers and producers do give you answers, it's jumping the shark. The most interesting part about your post is that you tell us you won't be watching the last 5 episodes. All I can say is that's your loss, then again that is my opinion. Of course, it seems senseless to go through 4 and a half seasons of a show and then decide to leave out 5 episodes because you feel you need to make a statement regarding that opinion. To me it seems like you wasted 5 years of your life even keeping up with the show to begin with, especially if you willing to bow out this late in the game. Once again, just an opinion.

my1sunshine

[10]Feb 15, 2009
    • level: 12
    MetaLuna wrote:

I'm going to assume that the two episodes referenced are the mutiny ones... not including Feb 13's, which was fabulous. I really didn't like those two episodes. I don't think the show "jumped the shark" but the whle storyline felt like filler to me. Oh no! Not MORE insurrection within the fleet! And ZAREK is involved? The hell you say! Next thing you're going to tell me that Adama gets righteously indignant and - OH!! There it is! No WAY!

It didn't ruin the series, but come on. What the hell was so great about that story arc? Other than, thank God, finally getting rid of those two jerks.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think I would classfify this as a liiitle more than insurection . Let's see. An attempted full blown revolution, organized by someone who, when the series started was only the sweetest, most loal person in the fleet. A revolution where people you know and trust suddenly turn against you. A revolution where crew members rampage the ship and start shooting each other, killing crewmates. A revolution where the brige and the ship are taken over. Where the entire civillian goverment is bloodily murdered. Yeah, you're right. Happens almost every episode.

And Zarek.. is it a surprise that he took advantage of this. Hell, no. It was perfectly in tune with his character. The revolution was a perfect progression of the current storyline. So what? The point is not the two part episode. The point is the big picture.. the fleet has finally their promised land.. the one thing that has been touted as the deliverance point for the entire show.. the one thing that has been keeping everybody together. And it's nothing.. it's wasted! It's ashes! So the fleet has gone to hell, and .. oh.. yeah.. the ship is falling apart.

Yeah, you're right. What was I thinking? They gotta start thinking of something new. These unoriginal, re-hashed plotlines are rediculous!

Daxx00004

[11]Feb 15, 2009
    • level: 9
    Orangoutan wrote:

Presented with the most contrived, silly and down right bloody awful two-part epsiode in the history of Battlestar Galactica, if not TV as a whole, one really has to state that the show has jumped the shark, mile ****** high. Something is wrong when you actually prefer the main cast to be killed off, and even if you knew that the coup d'├ętat would fail you really hope it wouldnt be so.

Granted that the clip-episode (aka the boxing episode) perhaps was worse, but as stated, that was a clip-episode with little bearing on the shows story arch.

I actually had to check if they'd changed writers (not the case).

This will be the last episode of BG ill see until the show is ended, then ill ask trusted friends if it was worth watching and re-evaluate the situation. Given the show declining quality my hopes are low, which is a real shame for a show starting out with as much potential.

The attempted coup was brilliant writing. The entire leadership was apathetic after finding Earth. This reminded them that this is about life and death. Do you want to live or die. Well if you want to live you better well be willing to fight for it. Brought life back to all the main characters. Gave them purpose again. Prodded them out of their depression. Gave Richard Hatch an amazing exit from the show. I enjoyed those two episodes immensely. So did everyone I know that watches the show. There is no way I could stop watching now. I want to know what happens next.

PineTreeMouse

[12]Feb 15, 2009
    • level: 5
    The mutiny was a natural result of what had happened before: the old leadership had become discredited not only for finding that Earth was a slag heap but Roslin had abdicated her role as president. Add in the alliance with the cylons and the (understandably) anti-cylon sentiment that must be still running through a significant part of the fleet and I'm more amazed that it didn't succeed. They had to deal with the 'domestic' fallout from Earth or it would have been a huge hole: I mean how could everyone be happy with what happened and the increased role in the fleet for the cylons? Personally loved the 4.5 series so far. Only wish that there were a few episodes from series 3 and the Demetrious that had stayed on the cutting floor... but no series is 100% perfect and BSG is about my favourite ever. But if you dont like it, you don't like it. What, for you, was the pinacle of the show?

martymcflyjb

[13]Feb 17, 2009
    • level: 10

my1sunshine wrote:
    The revolution was a perfect progression of the current storyline.

Exactly.