Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Mid-Season Break

apso61

[1]May 28, 2008
    • level: 7

Well, given that there are only 2 episodes left before the mid season break, do we have any idea about how long this is going to be for?

I haven't seen anything with a predicted return date, but i'm hoping someone else on here will have.

Cheers

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sneppo

[2]May 28, 2008
    • level: 5

How does 12 months sound?

Usually I would be annoyed that we have to wait one whole year, but this season has sucked soooo bad that I don't give a frac.

This season has been a joke and boring to boot.

Idbeolderifiwas

[3]May 28, 2008
    • level: 20
    It won't be 12 months. I'm really hoping it comes back in January, in which case there will only be about a 6 Month wait.

hazelnut144

[4]May 28, 2008
    • level: 8
    Even sooner than January would be even nicer. But I suppose I can survive six months. I would just much prefer if it came back in September or October.

tribalchic

[5]May 28, 2008
    • level: 17

thats beyond ridiculous!

A hiatus usually lasts 2-4 months, this is an entire year......why not have just called it season5?

They are taking a huge risk doing this after Lost's season 3 hiatus lost a huge amount of viewers when it returned, now BSG is gonna do the same thing. Networks (and cable) should realize holding somthing off for that long is a sheer fire way to lose fans, which BSG can't afford to do.

Edited on 05/28/2008 3:57pm

123home123

[6]May 28, 2008
    • level: 55
    At least we'll have another set of webisodes in the fall and the 2-hr Caprica TV movie. We may also get the 3 rumored BSG TV movies. Plus the continuation of my BSG online novel too. (Had to get that in. )

Idbeolderifiwas

[7]May 28, 2008
    tribalchic wrote:

thats beyond ridiculous!

A hiatus usually lasts 2-4 months, this is an entire year......why not have just called it season5?

They are taking a huge risk doing this after Lost's season 3 hiatus lost a huge amount of viewers when it returned, now BSG is gonna do the same thing. Networks (and cable) should realize holding somthing off for that long is a sheer fire way to lose fans, which BSG can't afford to do.

It's not because of Sci-Fi. It's simply not possible for them to come back in the Fall because the episodes wont be finished. The strike halted their production so they wouldn't be able to finish the episodes in time for September.

iamralphiam

[8]May 29, 2008
    • level: 6
    Idbeolderifiwas wrote:
    tribalchic wrote:

thats beyond ridiculous!

It's not because of Sci-Fi. It's simply not possible for them to come back in the Fall because the episodes wont be finished. The strike halted their production so they wouldn't be able to finish the episodes in time for September.

That's simply not true, while its true it takes more than a week per episode, they will almost certainly be done filming and editing the episodes by September, at very least enough they could start airing and finish production comfortably before the finale.

When it gets aired will be a decision based 100% on when they think they can get the best ratings.

HeHateMe5

[9]May 29, 2008
    • level: 3
    If this is the last season then they won't have to worry about the ratings because once the second half is done, it's done! A fall lineup would be perfect, this way we only have to go about 3 months in between. Plenty of time for webi-sodes and a movie if they want.

Anything longer than the fall, is an insult to the viewers.

melbye80

[10]May 29, 2008
    • level: 33
    to me pairing it with Stargate Atlantis in the fall would make so much sense. To bad they are not doing it. Wonder if there Is a chance Sky One might air it before Sci-Fi

Idbeolderifiwas

[11]May 29, 2008
    iamralphiam wrote:
    Idbeolderifiwas wrote:
    tribalchic wrote:

thats beyond ridiculous!

That's simply not true, while its true it takes more than a week per episode, they will almost certainly be done filming and editing the episodes by September, at very least enough they could start airing and finish production comfortably before the finale.

When it gets aired will be a decision based 100% on when they think they can get the best ratings.

They'll be finished Filming and Editing and all of that stuff, but the Visual effects take a long time to complete after the episodes have been shot.

copygeek

[12]May 29, 2008
    • level: 13

HeHateMe5 wrote:
    If this is the last season then they won't have to worry about the ratings because once the second half is done, it's done! A fall lineup would be perfect, this way we only have to go about 3 months in between. Plenty of time for webi-sodes and a movie if they want. Anything longer than the fall, is an insult to the viewers.

Well, SciFi tried to air BSG with the Fall TV season and its ratings dropped significantly. The ratings do much better when BSG starts in either January or the Summer.

Besides the business aspect of waiting until next January, you could say it is an insult to air the show during a period when alot of people are distracted by the new Fall premieres.

HeHateMe5

[13]May 30, 2008
    • level: 3
    Copy I understand your point, but this is the last leg of the journey. It's the end when the episodes are done. Even if the ratings suffer a bit, everyone will be tuned in to find out what happens. It's like watching nascar(which I don't like), everyone is drinking and not giving a **** until there are 20 laps to go. we just dont deserve to have to wait until January, get it over with already.

redhawk100

[14]May 30, 2008
    I personally think they should wait until Jan to air these new episodes. I think they are currently filming the last 2 episodes, but lets not forget that editing and effects come after that, and the longer they take on those the better the quality is. I definitely dont want to see another badly edited episode like Sine Qua Non, so let them take their time on whatever is left, heck we waited for 4 years a few more months wont hurt!
    Edited on 05/30/2008 6:27am

sdmpriest

[15]May 31, 2008
    • level: 1

Is there definately a break with more episodes end of this year/next year?? As the January Entertainment Weekly said there were only 10 episodes set to air.

It was the one with the last supper spread here the address to the image

http://triciahelfer.com/new/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/ew-bsg-lastsupper-small.jpg

satnam99

[16]Jun 1, 2008
    • level: 16
    I hate these stupid breaks. I'd rather have waited longer for the season to start than have a pointless break in the middle of the series. I could not give a frack about ratings, and as far as I can see these ratings are usually a load of rubbish anyway. The American TV system is pretty ridiculous IMO and even though it produces some excellent shows, so many are just lost because of clearly daft decisions

FrakkingFrakker

[17]Jun 4, 2008
    • level: 28

Frankly, what I find disrespectful is them not telling us. Rumors of this started in November of last year...you're going to tell me that they can't sit down and make a decision in nearly 8 months?... Come on. It's not the wait (well, it kind of is) but at this point it's the not knowing. They need to grow some balls and tell us. Instead of letting us clamor. Their best choice pick the longest date and take the brunt of the complaints now. Then...if it's done early and they want to push it up, then you're not disappointing anyone. It's a winning situation.... They just need to make a decision and let us know.

That...and they need to make sure that they're not making a final episode that is influenced by future projects. Sorry...not this thread for that...but I've never seen a good show run as badly as these guys and sci-fi are running the business side of BSG.

TVObsessee

[18]Jun 7, 2008
    when is the last episode of this half?

h00plah

[19]Jun 7, 2008
    • level: 10
    It was said in the preview for next weeks episode that the new batch of episodes (10 to be exact), will be aired sometime in 2009. So it will probably be late January to early February. There's guaranteed to be a lot of spoilers/images/previews coming to the public before that happens, and other things that will keep us busy in the meantime (perhaps another online series or a telemovie?).

siskoray

[20]Aug 18, 2008
    • level: 2
    HeHateMe5 wrote:
    If this is the last season then they won't have to worry about the ratings because once the second half is done, it's done! A fall lineup would be perfect, this way we only have to go about 3 months in between. Plenty of time for webi-sodes and a movie if they want.

Anything longer than the fall, is an insult to the viewers.

Actually that's not true about the ratings. They will most definitely be thinking of when they will be able to crank out the best ratings for this final season as everyone as always has to pay da bills and the only way to do that is to convince the man that airing the final episodes during "BLAH" time will be more profitable than, um, LIKE NOW!!! Nothing like keeping with your MO, I can't expect the dudes to give in now. Personally it bites! Just air the final episodes already!

Rant off.