Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Mid-Season Break

  • Avatar of apso61

    apso61

    [1]May 28, 2008
    • member since: 10/17/07
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 6

    Well, given that there are only 2 episodes left before the mid season break, do we have any idea about how long this is going to be for?

    I haven't seen anything with a predicted return date, but i'm hoping someone else on here will have.

    Cheers

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sneppo

    sneppo

    [2]May 28, 2008
    • member since: 06/19/05
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 80

    How does 12 months sound?

    Usually I would be annoyed that we have to wait one whole year, but this season has sucked soooo bad that I don't give a frac.

    This season has been a joke and boring to boot.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Idbeolderifiwas

    Idbeolderifiwas

    [3]May 28, 2008
    • member since: 08/03/07
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 1,355
    It won't be 12 months. I'm really hoping it comes back in January, in which case there will only be about a 6 Month wait.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of hazelnut144

    hazelnut144

    [4]May 28, 2008
    • member since: 05/01/06
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 365
    Even sooner than January would be even nicer. But I suppose I can survive six months. I would just much prefer if it came back in September or October.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of tribalchic

    tribalchic

    [5]May 28, 2008
    • member since: 04/20/06
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,897

    thats beyond ridiculous!

    A hiatus usually lasts 2-4 months, this is an entire year......why not have just called it season5?

    They are taking a huge risk doing this after Lost's season 3 hiatus lost a huge amount of viewers when it returned, now BSG is gonna do the same thing. Networks (and cable) should realize holding somthing off for that long is a sheer fire way to lose fans, which BSG can't afford to do.

    Edited on 05/28/2008 3:57pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of 123home123

    123home123

    [6]May 28, 2008
    • member since: 05/24/02
    • level: 55
    • rank: Bounty Dog
    • posts: 11,760
    At least we'll have another set of webisodes in the fall and the 2-hr Caprica TV movie. We may also get the 3 rumored BSG TV movies. Plus the continuation of my BSG online novel too. (Had to get that in. )
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Idbeolderifiwas

    Idbeolderifiwas

    [7]May 28, 2008
    • member since: 08/03/07
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 1,355
    tribalchic wrote:

    thats beyond ridiculous!

    A hiatus usually lasts 2-4 months, this is an entire year......why not have just called it season5?

    They are taking a huge risk doing this after Lost's season 3 hiatus lost a huge amount of viewers when it returned, now BSG is gonna do the same thing. Networks (and cable) should realize holding somthing off for that long is a sheer fire way to lose fans, which BSG can't afford to do.



    It's not because of Sci-Fi. It's simply not possible for them to come back in the Fall because the episodes wont be finished. The strike halted their production so they wouldn't be able to finish the episodes in time for September.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of iamralphiam

    iamralphiam

    [8]May 29, 2008
    • member since: 09/05/07
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 96
    Idbeolderifiwas wrote:
    tribalchic wrote:

    thats beyond ridiculous!

    A hiatus usually lasts 2-4 months, this is an entire year......why not have just called it season5?

    They are taking a huge risk doing this after Lost's season 3 hiatus lost a huge amount of viewers when it returned, now BSG is gonna do the same thing. Networks (and cable) should realize holding somthing off for that long is a sheer fire way to lose fans, which BSG can't afford to do.

    It's not because of Sci-Fi. It's simply not possible for them to come back in the Fall because the episodes wont be finished. The strike halted their production so they wouldn't be able to finish the episodes in time for September.

    That's simply not true, while its true it takes more than a week per episode, they will almost certainly be done filming and editing the episodes by September, at very least enough they could start airing and finish production comfortably before the finale.

    When it gets aired will be a decision based 100% on when they think they can get the best ratings.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HeHateMe5

    HeHateMe5

    [9]May 29, 2008
    • member since: 04/12/08
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 61
    If this is the last season then they won't have to worry about the ratings because once the second half is done, it's done! A fall lineup would be perfect, this way we only have to go about 3 months in between. Plenty of time for webi-sodes and a movie if they want.

    Anything longer than the fall, is an insult to the viewers.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of melbye80

    melbye80

    [10]May 29, 2008
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 33
    • rank: Borg Queen
    • posts: 1,074
    to me pairing it with Stargate Atlantis in the fall would make so much sense. To bad they are not doing it. Wonder if there Is a chance Sky One might air it before Sci-Fi
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Idbeolderifiwas

    Idbeolderifiwas

    [11]May 29, 2008
    • member since: 08/03/07
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 1,355
    iamralphiam wrote:
    Idbeolderifiwas wrote:
    tribalchic wrote:

    thats beyond ridiculous!

    A hiatus usually lasts 2-4 months, this is an entire year......why not have just called it season5?

    They are taking a huge risk doing this after Lost's season 3 hiatus lost a huge amount of viewers when it returned, now BSG is gonna do the same thing. Networks (and cable) should realize holding somthing off for that long is a sheer fire way to lose fans, which BSG can't afford to do.

    It's not because of Sci-Fi. It's simply not possible for them to come back in the Fall because the episodes wont be finished. The strike halted their production so they wouldn't be able to finish the episodes in time for September.

    That's simply not true, while its true it takes more than a week per episode, they will almost certainly be done filming and editing the episodes by September, at very least enough they could start airing and finish production comfortably before the finale.

    When it gets aired will be a decision based 100% on when they think they can get the best ratings.



    They'll be finished Filming and Editing and all of that stuff, but the Visual effects take a long time to complete after the episodes have been shot.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of copygeek

    copygeek

    [12]May 29, 2008
    • member since: 10/04/06
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 527

    HeHateMe5 wrote:
    If this is the last season then they won't have to worry about the ratings because once the second half is done, it's done! A fall lineup would be perfect, this way we only have to go about 3 months in between. Plenty of time for webi-sodes and a movie if they want. Anything longer than the fall, is an insult to the viewers.

    Well, SciFi tried to air BSG with the Fall TV season and its ratings dropped significantly. The ratings do much better when BSG starts in either January or the Summer.

    Besides the business aspect of waiting until next January, you could say it is an insult to air the show during a period when alot of people are distracted by the new Fall premieres.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HeHateMe5

    HeHateMe5

    [13]May 30, 2008
    • member since: 04/12/08
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 61
    Copy I understand your point, but this is the last leg of the journey. It's the end when the episodes are done. Even if the ratings suffer a bit, everyone will be tuned in to find out what happens. It's like watching nascar(which I don't like), everyone is drinking and not giving a **** until there are 20 laps to go. we just dont deserve to have to wait until January, get it over with already.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of redhawk100

    redhawk100

    [14]May 30, 2008
    • member since: 05/03/08
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 125
    I personally think they should wait until Jan to air these new episodes. I think they are currently filming the last 2 episodes, but lets not forget that editing and effects come after that, and the longer they take on those the better the quality is. I definitely dont want to see another badly edited episode like Sine Qua Non, so let them take their time on whatever is left, heck we waited for 4 years a few more months wont hurt!
    Edited on 05/30/2008 6:27am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sdmpriest

    sdmpriest

    [15]May 31, 2008
    • member since: 06/01/08
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 2

    Is there definately a break with more episodes end of this year/next year?? As the January Entertainment Weekly said there were only 10 episodes set to air.

    It was the one with the last supper spread here the address to the image

    http://triciahelfer.com/new/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/ew-bsg-lastsupper-small.jpg

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of satnam99

    satnam99

    [16]Jun 1, 2008
    • member since: 08/16/04
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 17
    I hate these stupid breaks. I'd rather have waited longer for the season to start than have a pointless break in the middle of the series. I could not give a frack about ratings, and as far as I can see these ratings are usually a load of rubbish anyway. The American TV system is pretty ridiculous IMO and even though it produces some excellent shows, so many are just lost because of clearly daft decisions
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of FrakkingFrakker

    FrakkingFrakker

    [17]Jun 4, 2008
    • member since: 01/22/06
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 319

    Frankly, what I find disrespectful is them not telling us. Rumors of this started in November of last year...you're going to tell me that they can't sit down and make a decision in nearly 8 months?... Come on. It's not the wait (well, it kind of is) but at this point it's the not knowing. They need to grow some balls and tell us. Instead of letting us clamor. Their best choice pick the longest date and take the brunt of the complaints now. Then...if it's done early and they want to push it up, then you're not disappointing anyone. It's a winning situation.... They just need to make a decision and let us know.

    That...and they need to make sure that they're not making a final episode that is influenced by future projects. Sorry...not this thread for that...but I've never seen a good show run as badly as these guys and sci-fi are running the business side of BSG.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TVObsessee

    TVObsessee

    [18]Jun 7, 2008
    • member since: 03/05/07
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 283
    when is the last episode of this half?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of h00plah

    h00plah

    [19]Jun 7, 2008
    • member since: 02/18/08
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 144
    It was said in the preview for next weeks episode that the new batch of episodes (10 to be exact), will be aired sometime in 2009. So it will probably be late January to early February. There's guaranteed to be a lot of spoilers/images/previews coming to the public before that happens, and other things that will keep us busy in the meantime (perhaps another online series or a telemovie?).
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of siskoray

    siskoray

    [20]Aug 18, 2008
    • member since: 02/26/03
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 1
    HeHateMe5 wrote:
    If this is the last season then they won't have to worry about the ratings because once the second half is done, it's done! A fall lineup would be perfect, this way we only have to go about 3 months in between. Plenty of time for webi-sodes and a movie if they want.

    Anything longer than the fall, is an insult to the viewers.


    Actually that's not true about the ratings. They will most definitely be thinking of when they will be able to crank out the best ratings for this final season as everyone as always has to pay da bills and the only way to do that is to convince the man that airing the final episodes during "BLAH" time will be more profitable than, um, LIKE NOW!!! Nothing like keeping with your MO, I can't expect the dudes to give in now. Personally it bites! Just air the final episodes already!

    Rant off.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.