Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

News and notes for Season 4.5

tribalchic

[41]Jul 18, 2008
    • level: 17

hazelnut144 wrote:
    NICE!! Glad to see it acknowledged as the awesome show it is!

it stoled Lost's spot in the catagory which is shocking since Darlton are a writing force to be wreckoned with.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

123home123

[42]Jul 18, 2008
    • level: 55
    Actually BSG picked up both an outstanding writing and an outstanding directing nomination for a drama series in last year's Emmy Awards. So the Emmy committees aren't totally ignorant about BSG and its quality. Hopefully all the campaigning we did here on this forum and on our blogs helped to open a few eyes. Let's continue to expand interest in the show so that BSG can pick up a best drama series nomination next year, during its final year of eligibility. TV.com itself is becoming more prominent and now it is officially part of CBS Corporation, the parent company of the CBS Network (as of June 30, 2008).

Who knows? If the viewer numbers continue their upward trend and the next TV movie is a financial success, we could help convince Sci Fi to order more BSG TV movies in the future.

(Sorry about any typos in this post. I'm typing this on my smart phone. It's not always easy to spot typos on the smaller screen.)
    Edited on 07/18/2008 6:34pm
    Edited 2 total times.

123home123

[43]Jul 19, 2008
    NEWS UPDATE

Battlestar Galactica nominated for SIX EMMY AWARDS!

The Emmy nominating committees paid closer attention to BSG this season, giving the series a total of six Emmy Award nominations, twice as many as the show received last year. Among the nominations is the 2nd consecutive nod in the category of Outstanding Writing For A Drama Series, for Michael Angeli in the episode "Six of One." "Razor Flashback #4" also received a nomination in the category of Outstanding Special Class - Short-format Live-action Entertainment Programs.

Here is a complete list of the Emmy Award nominations for BSG:

1) Outstanding Cinematography For A One Hour Series - "Razor"
    --Stephen McNutt, Director of Photography

2) Outstanding Single-camera Picture Editing For A Drama Series - "He That Believeth In Me"
    --Julius Ramsay, Editor

3) Outstanding Sound Mixing For A Comedy Or Drama Series (one-hour) - "Razor"
    --Rick Bal, Production Mixer
    --Michael Olman, Supervising Re-Recording Mixer
    --Kenneth Kobett, Supervising Re-Recording Mixer

4) Outstanding Special Class - Short-format Live-action Entertainment Programs - "Razor Featurette #4"
    --Ronald D. Moore, Executive Producer
    --David Eick, Executive Producer
    --Harvey Frand, Supervising Producer

5) Outstanding Special Visual Effects For A Series - "He That Believeth In Me"
    --Gary Hutzel, Visual Effects Supervisor
    --Michael Gibson, Visual Effects Producer
    --David Takemura, Visual Effects Coordinator
    --Doug Drexler, CGI Supervisor
    --Kyle Toucher, CG Artist
    --Sean Jackson, CG Artist
    --Pierre Drolet, CG Modeler
    --Aurore de Blois, Senior Compositor
    --Derek Ledbetter, Compositor

6) Outstanding Writing For A Drama Series - "Six Of One"
    --written by Michael Angeli

------------

Congratulations to the producers, writers, actors, special visual effects crew, sound mixers, cinematographers, editors, composers and everyone else who have helped to make Battlestar Galactica a landmark show.

Idbeolderifiwas

[44]Jul 19, 2008
    • level: 20
    Ok so with all of those Nominations they're bound to win atleast 1 right? I mean who else is really in the category along with the Razor minisodes?

123home123

[45]Jul 19, 2008
    30 Rock, Friday Night Lights, Lost and some Sarah Silverman program are also nominated in that category. Though I'm hoping BSG wins, I definitely hope that Sarah Silverman does NOT win if BSG doesn't. (Ugh.)

Anyway, BSG managed to win an Emmy Award last year out of its three nominations: Outstanding Special Visual Effects For A Series for "Exodus, Part 2". So BSG is already officially an "Emmy Award-winning series." Hopefully we will be able to say "two-time Emmy Award-winning series" later this year.

Idbeolderifiwas

[46]Jul 19, 2008
    Atleast two-time. It would be incredible if it were 7-time Emmy Award winning

hazelnut144

[47]Jul 20, 2008
    • level: 8
    Ah that wouldn't that be just awesome. 7 time Emmy award winner. At least out of six, I'm sure it will win at least one of them. Congratulations BSG!

123home123

[48]Jul 20, 2008
    Yeah, 7-time Emmy Award winner would be better. I was kind of referring to winning an Emmy two years in a row but you're right -- most people refer to the total number of Emmy Awards won.

It looks like the Sci Fi Channel sent in "He That Believeth In Me" and "Six of One" along with "Razor" and the Razor flashbacks for Emmy consideration, which might explain why other episodes like "Faith", "Guess What's Coming to Dinner?", "The Hub", and "Revelations" didn't receive any special mention. "Six of One" was a great episode but I thought the others listed here were a bit better. But it's all good. Hopefully BSG will finally win an Emmy for drama series writing this fall along with the other categories too.

sheli20

[49]Jul 21, 2008
    I think out of the 4th season "The Hub" and "The Ties That Bind" where the most deserving to be nominated (and win)

Idbeolderifiwas

[50]Jul 22, 2008
    So it turns out that as expected, and hoped, BSG will be returning in January. The date wasn't specified but this is good news!

123home123

[51]Jul 27, 2008
    NEWS UPDATES

Co-executive producer Mark Verheiden confirmed on his blog that Season 4.5 will resume on Friday, January 9, 2009. He said this information came directly from Sci Fi Channel president Dave Howe.

The Season 4.5 Webisode series will include 10 installments of between 2 and 3 minutes each, as part of an interconnected, serialized story. The news was reported on Sci Fi Wire, the official online news service of the Sci Fi Channel. The Webisodes will be available sometime this fall, perhaps as early as October or November.

Work on the Caprica TV movie/pilot continues. Ronald Moore is hopeful that the idea will be picked up as a continuing series, not just a standalone TV movie. The decision to order a complete series could be made by September. If the Sci Fi Channel decides to order a full 13-episode season, then the pilot and the other episodes probably wouldn't be aired until the summer of 2009. If Sci Fi just decides to order a single TV movie, then that movie may air this fall or early winter. None of this is set in stone though.

How many episodes in Season 4.5 are there anyway?

Good question. At this point, Ronald Moore told Maureen Ryan of The Chicago Tribune that Season 4.5 will include at least 11 hours of new episodes (broadcast time including commercials). The series finale will cover at least the final 3 episodes but it hasn't been "cut" yet. There is a lot of footage and the finale could expand to a 4th episode, making it 12 episodes for Season 4.5.

The Season 4.5 DVD

Ronald Moore did confirm that no matter how many hours the series finale takes up on air, the Season 4.5 DVD will definitely include the complete version of the finale, whether it's 3 (broadcast) hours, 4 hours or even more.

The Battlestar Galactica TV movie

Still no official word from the Sci Fi Channel about the TV movie. Ronald Moore says work is still being done on the script. No contracts have been signed with actors yet. If it goes ahead, shooting will begin in late August or September. Co-executive producer Jane Espenson will be the primary writer while Edward James Olmos will direct. He will also appear as Adama in the movie.

Because of the production timetable and the DVD process (the advance master [print] needs to be delivered 3 months before the DVD release date), it's unlikely that any BSG TV movie would air in 2008. Moore said that it's probably better for fans to watch the movie after the Season 4.5 finale anyway.

Other news

Mr. Moore is also busy with production work on his new FOX series Virtuality. The show includes three levels of action: the events on the spaceship, the virtual-reality world (which will be filmed on green screen), and a separate reality show that is being filmed on the spaceship by some production crew. That's what he said.

Updated timeline for viewers

It's possible that the only new BSG-related material we'll see this fall is the online Season 4.5 Webisode series.

The Season 4.0 DVD may be released during the final week of December. Then Season 4.5 episodes would air on the Sci Fi Channel beginning on January 9, 2009.

If Caprica is picked up as a regular series, it might not air until the summer of 2009. The BSG TV movie will probably air sometime in 2009.

ascaffo

[52]Jul 27, 2008
    • level: 23
    Thanks so much for the news. It kinda helps me with my BSG fix.

redhawk100

[53]Jul 28, 2008
    • level: 6

This is great news! At least now we know its early January. I also hope Caprica gets picked up as a series, even though that would mean we wont see it this year.

Virtuality sounds interesting as well!

adiav

[54]Jul 29, 2008
    123home123 wrote:
    NEWS UPDATES

Co-executive producer Mark Verheiden confirmed on his blog that Season 4.5 will resume on Friday, January 9, 2009. He said this information came directly from Sci Fi Channel president Dave Howe.

Hooray! I get BSG for my birthday!

Best birthday present ever!

tripping82

[55]Aug 5, 2008
    • level: 14
    TVGuide.com confirmed with Sci Fi today that Battlestar Galactica's final season beginning in 2009 will air "extra-long" or extended episodes. Source

hazelnut144

[56]Aug 5, 2008
    I heard somewhere that BSG is ending this season because the network couldn't guarantee a fifth season. But it looks like by the end of this, they might end up with at least the equivalent of an extra half season...not that I am complaining about this in any way, shape, or form.

123home123

[57]Aug 5, 2008
    Very interesting news although Eick doesn't say exactly how many episodes will be extended. All of them? Most? Will they be 90-min. episodes or 2-hr. episodes (broadcast time)?

I've always felt that most BSG episodes could play even better with longer air times. So many of them are like mini-movies that 44-47 minutes of actual episode time just isn't enough to do these great stories justice.

With all these new developments, maybe Sci Fi will also get the ball rolling on more BSG TV movies as well, not just the one that is supposed to begin filming in September.

EDIT: Here's the Sci Fi Wire story about David Eick's talk at Comic-Con.

Check out this quote: In a subsequent interview, Eick told SCI FI Wire that producers have been "able to convince the network to let us air ... long episodes --[to] take single episodes and make them double episodes, ... [and to take] double episodes and make them quadruple episodes."

Quadruple episodes? Whoa! Is Season 4.5 going to take up 20 episodes all by itself? This is surprising news indeed!
    Edited on 08/05/2008 10:01pm
    Edited 2 total times.

ferretzor

[58]Aug 6, 2008
    • level: 12
    The news of extended episodes is great news indeed. The prospect of getting longer episodes with the stories being properly told should be well worth the wait.

Although I really can't wait for the final eps

hazelnut144

[59]Aug 7, 2008
    If they extend them, then I assume it's still going to air all at once. I mean even if, say, episode 11 is 2 hrs broadcast time, they will air it all in the same night? Was just thinking about that. Cause that means they'll have to bump someone else off.

Idbeolderifiwas

[60]Aug 7, 2008
    Yes I would expect that if an episode is extended, that entire episode will air in 1 piece and not split up. Although I think in the case of the final episode, where aparently it could be 3-4 episodes long, I'm not sure if they would air it all together or spread it out over a few weeks.