Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

News and notes for Season 4.5

redhawk100

[61]Aug 7, 2008
    • level: 6
    My guess is the finale episode will air over several nites, kinda like what they did with Lost. I just hope they air it the way RDM and company wanted it to happen.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ascaffo

[62]Aug 7, 2008
    • level: 23
    It is going to be so hard to wait. But, its gotta be good.

weirdaaron

[63]Aug 7, 2008
    • level: 3
    Yea, I think they are making the finale over multiple episodes. They said the second half of the season could be 11-12 episodes, so thats including the 2-3 episode series finale.

Smokin32

[64]Aug 18, 2008
    • level: 9
    The show has been stringing the eding for way too long. I dont even care about the show anymore or if there is a movie. Tension and anticipation can only last so long before it just putters out to "whatever".

HeHateMe5

[65]Aug 18, 2008
    well there's only four more months to go so start thinking about how much turkey you're going to eat and go from there.

123home123

[66]Aug 19, 2008
    • level: 55
    I took a personal break myself of more than two months from BSG, without watching any of the episodes since Season 4.0 finished. I'm trying to clean out my DVR right now so that I can record the Olympics coverage. As part of the process, I started recording the Season 4.0 episodes to DVD and watched most of each episode as it was recording. Sometimes it's possible to forget just how good the show is.

I haven't watched much scripted TV at all this summer. I've mostly been watching baseball and now the Olympics. Watching the BSG episodes today reminds me of the intense drama that I haven't seen in two months. BSG is like a powerful movie in the sense that it delves into such dark areas of the human psyche that it's not something to watch over and over again as though it were visual comfort food. I wouldn't watch a powerful dramatic movie over and over either. BSG is a show to be viewed intently with a lot of concentration and emotional involvement. That's why it's nice to take a break once in a while and come back fresh, ready for the intense human drama and deep philosophical themes that the show explores.

HeHateMe5

[67]Aug 19, 2008
    Ive been going through season 3 with a friend to get him caught up to us but I enjoyed going back to watch the miniseries the other night, it was very insightful and intense as well.

psychickiller

[68]Aug 21, 2008
    A few months ago the local cabels company started broadcasting BSG all over again, including the miniseries and Razor. A few days ago they reached season 4, and it was pretty intense watching the all series again. It refreshed my memory about plenty of small details concerning the Final Five, Earth, the tribes, etc.

Yet I cannot put my finger on the identity of the Final Five... Simply a dead end.

January isn't that distant anymore, though

123home123

[69]Aug 21, 2008
    I'd be interested to know which country you live in. The Sci Fi Channel in the U.S. hasn't shown many BSG repeats except for some Season 4.0 broadcasts around 3 am on the weekends.

Chainblast

[70]Aug 23, 2008

123home123 wrote:
    NEWS UPDATESHow many episodes in Season 4.5 are there anyway? Good question. At this point, Ronald Moore told Maureen Ryan of The Chicago Tribune that Season 4.5 will include at least 11 hours of new episodes (broadcast time including commercials). The series finale will cover at least the final 3 episodes but it hasn't been "cut" yet. There is a lot of footage and the finale could expand to a 4th episode, making it 12 episodes for Season 4.5.

I'm fairly certain RDM said (after what I quoted) he realized in order to close the series properly nothing could really be cut from the finale, and Sci Fi has been very good at letting them run the episodes however long they want. I think he said the final script was 3 hours and I'm sure it's all going to air.

weirdaaron

[71]Aug 25, 2008
    I sure hope the entire finale airs without cutting anything out. However, even if they do cut some stuff, RDM said he would put it ALL in the dvd.

123home123

[72]Aug 27, 2008
    Chainblast wrote:

123home123 wrote:
    NEWS UPDATESHow many episodes in Season 4.5 are there anyway? Good question. At this point, Ronald Moore told Maureen Ryan of The Chicago Tribune that Season 4.5 will include at least 11 hours of new episodes (broadcast time including commercials). The series finale will cover at least the final 3 episodes but it hasn't been "cut" yet. There is a lot of footage and the finale could expand to a 4th episode, making it 12 episodes for Season 4.5.

I'm fairly certain RDM said (after what I quoted) he realized in order to close the series properly nothing could really be cut from the finale, and Sci Fi has been very good at letting them run the episodes however long they want. I think he said the final script was 3 hours and I'm sure it's all going to air.

Actually, when I said it hasn't been "cut" yet, I meant that it hadn't been "edited" yet. I guess it was confusing to use the word "cut" in that context, but I believe Ronald Moore also used the word with that second meaning.

Anyway, I meant that it's possible that the season finale could expand to four episodes after the editing is finished. I don't think they will edit down the material just to fit into a particular time limit but they will cut away any slow scenes or scenes that might break up the dramatic flow of an episode.

Edward James Olmos has mentioned on a couple occasions that there are some heartbreaking moments in the series finale. I hope he isn't giving away any spoilers. If he does, I'll try to keep them out of this thread. I think it's best if people experience the story without already knowing the outcome.

psychickiller

[73]Aug 30, 2008
    123home123 wrote:
    I'd be interested to know which country you live in. The Sci Fi Channel in the U.S. hasn't shown many BSG repeats except for some Season 4.0 broadcasts around 3 am on the weekends.

I live in Israel.

123home123

[74]Aug 31, 2008
    It's interesting to see so many different countries represented on this forum, and in the BSG fan base.

MichaudMR

[75]Aug 31, 2008
    • level: 17

123home123 wrote:
    It's interesting to see so many different countries represented on this forum, and in the BSG fan base.

It would be interesting to know how international viewer-ship impacts the overall ratings for the series. Do the numbers get factored into a ratings system which calculates BSG's competitiveness with other shows? If a world wide fan base contributes to revenue then it should be factored into the networks decision to continue funding the franchise.

I know that the BSG (2003) story is nearing its' end, but here's to hoping for success with Caprica.

slowblink

[76]Sep 4, 2008
    • level: 5
    I would suggest that much of the international viewership is not through means that can easily be measured, or that the networks approve of.

'nuff said.

redhawk100

[77]Sep 12, 2008

Its great to see so many BSG fans from all around the world. As for myself im from Kuwait and BSG has a fairly OK following here.

ascaffo

[78]Sep 13, 2008
    • level: 23
    My brother and I are the only two that I know of that watch. I have mentioned that lack of sci-fi love in other threads. Sometimes it seems like I am the only person in South Jersey that enjoys sci-fi.

123home123

[79]Sep 19, 2008
    NEWS UPDATE

Battlestar Galactica wins TWO MORE EMMY AWARDS!

In the Creative Arts Emmy Awards ceremony held on Sat., Sept. 13, 2008, Battlestar Galactica picked up two more Emmy Award wins in the following categories:

--OUTSTANDING SPECIAL VISUAL EFFECTS FOR A SERIES
    GARY HUTZEL, Visual Effects Supervisor
    MICHAEL GIBSON, Visual Effects Producer
    DAVID TAKEMURA, Visual Effects Coordinator
    DOUG DREXLER, CGI Supervisor
    KYLE TOUCHER, CG Artist
    SEAN JACKSON, CG Artist
    PIERRE DROLET, CG Modeler
    AURORE DE BLOIS, Senior Compositor
    DEREK LEDBETTER, Compositor

"He That Believeth In Me"

--OUTSTANDING SPECIAL CLA$$– SHORT-FORMAT LIVE-ACTION
    ENTERTAINMENT PROGRAMS

RAZOR FEATURETTE #4
    Ronald D. Moore, Executive Producer
    David Eick, Executive Producer
    Harvey Frand, Supervising Producer

----------------------------

Congratulations to the executive producers and all the visual effects personnel on their well-deserved honors! You make all BSG fans proud.