Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Note about the "Ended" status and "Daybreak, Part 2"

123home123

[1]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 56
    Although it's true that the "series finale" aired last night and the main story threads were resolved in the spectacular two-parter, there is still one more installment of Battlestar Galactica on the way, the TV movie Battlestar Galactica: The Plan. The Sci Fi Channel will air it in the fall of 2009. Until then, I don't think it's appropriate to change the status of the series to "Ended". That would confuse fans and potential fans into thinking that there would be no new broadcasts. Since there will be one final TV movie, I will leave the status to "Continuing" for now.

I'm posting this because a couple of people have already submitted an edit to change the status to "Ended". Though I understand the reason for that, I don't think it's an accurate edit at this time. I am always open to reasoned and thoughtful arguments on the topic but I don't think I'll change my mind, simply because there is one more TV-based installment on the way. Thanks for your interest in the guide and watch the TV listings for the exact date of Battlestar Galactica: The Plan.

(Of course the Caprica DVD is on its way next month too. That will be covered by the guide for the Caprica series. The series itself will begin airing on the Sci Fi Channel in 2010.)

UPDATE: I've noticed that some people are getting confused by the episode listings for "Daybreak, Part 2" on the guide. I broke up the two-hour "Daybreak, Part 2" broadcast into two separate episode listings, as follows:

"Daybreak, Part 2 (2)"
    "Daybreak, Part 2 (3)"

Those were preceded by "Daybreak, Part 1 (1)".

Why did I do this? TV.com links to legal downloads from iTunes (or at least they used to). Thus, the staff wants the episode listings on TV.com to match those on iTunes. Apple's normal policy is to break up two-hour broadcasts into two separate parts of roughly one-hour each (actually, a bit less because of the absence of commercials). I was worried that if I only created a single episode listing for "Daybreak, Part 2", that the staff might add another listing, maybe "Daybreak, Part 3", later on.

If that happened, then there would be no episode reviews or votes on ratings for the new "Part 3" listing. That would make the listing less informative because it wouldn't reflect the thoughts and ratings of all the users who saw it this past weekend.

If you are submitting anything to the guide for "Daybreak, Part 2", be careful to note whether the quote or trivia item occurred in the first hour of the broadcast or in the second. Then submit it to the appropriate episode listing, either "Part 2 (2)" (the first hour) or "Part 2 (3)" (the second hour).

Thanks.
    Edited on 03/23/2009 11:42am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MichaudMR

[2]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 17

Home123 - Thank you for all you have done to make this one of the best TV series websites I've ever encountered.

It was a great series with a great finale episode.

END OF LINE..... (and with any luck the beginning of a new one)

123home123

[3]Mar 21, 2009
    Thanks. It's been fun to discuss the series with everyone on this forum. I've learned a lot about television production, military details, philosophy, history and some physics. The process of editing and submitting to the guide has also been educational. I've done quite a bit of research on various topics related to the episodes, from ancient Greek history to modern American politics.

It'll be interesting to see how this forum and guide continue on, now that the main story of the show has been resolved. I expect that we'll see people returning to the forum in the fall when "The Plan" airs. I'm looking forward to that.

my1sunshine

[4]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 12

I second the praise for our editor.

123home123.. We love you, man!

123home123

[5]Mar 22, 2009
    Thanks.

123home123

[6]Mar 23, 2009
    To everyone submitting to the guide:

I added a new note to this thread in the first message. For easy reference, here is the new text:

UPDATE: I've noticed that some people are getting confused by the episode listings for "Daybreak, Part 2" on the guide. I broke up the two-hour "Daybreak, Part 2" broadcast into two separate episode listings, as follows:

"Daybreak, Part 2 (2)"
    "Daybreak, Part 2 (3)"

Those were preceded by "Daybreak, Part 1 (1)".

Why did I do this? TV.com links to legal downloads from iTunes (or at least they used to). Thus, the staff wants the episode listings on TV.com to match those on iTunes. Apple's normal policy is to break up two-hour broadcasts into two separate parts of roughly one-hour each (actually, a bit less because of the absence of commercials). I was worried that if I only created a single episode listing for "Daybreak, Part 2", that the staff might add another listing, maybe "Daybreak, Part 3", later on.

If that happened, then there would be no episode reviews or votes on ratings for the new "Part 3" listing. That would make the listing less informative because it wouldn't reflect the thoughts and ratings of all the users who saw it this past weekend.

If you are submitting anything to the guide for "Daybreak, Part 2", be careful to note whether the quote or trivia item occurred in the first hour of the broadcast or in the second. Then submit it to the appropriate episode listing, either "Part 2 (2)" (the first hour) or "Part 2 (3)" (the second hour).

Thanks.

tripping82

[7]Mar 24, 2009
    • level: 14
    A THIRD praise for our editor: 123home123.

You've done a great job! I'm sure I'll be seeing posts from you over on the Caprica boards...

ThaJAXxer

[8]Mar 24, 2009
    • level: 4
    Same here. Good job editor, it was nice to be here along the show. Thanx!

123home123

[9]Mar 25, 2009
    Thanks. Yeah, I'll probably post on the Caprica forum but only as a "regular" member. Editing the guide for a popular show and moderating a very active forum involves a bit of effort. Even though it doesn't really take that much time, I do have to think about how to handle various situations, such as whether a quote submission is really that interesting, off-topic political statements or the occasional fight that breaks out on the forum.

After almost 3 years as editor for a popular, currently airing show, I'll take a breather for a while. I'll let someone else handle the responsibilities for the Caprica guide and forum. Hopefully that person will take those duties seriously, rather than treat the editorship as something to be collected. (I'm not implying this is the case since I don't know anything about the current editor for that guide.)

I don't know if Caprica will deal with the same controversial topics that BSG did. I don't think we'll see as many episodes about war, terrorism, prisoner interrogations and such, so we may not see the same intense discussions on that forum as we have had on this forum over the years. The discussions have been enlightening but people have gone too far on a couple occasions. The editor/moderator for the Caprica forum should keep this in mind.

MajLorne

[10]Mar 25, 2009
    • level: 21
    Concidering all the 'heat' from the finale, you did a remarkable job in handling that situation. Cheers to you and the job you've done to make this a wonderful place.
    I only wished I posted in this forum earlier. So again, great job and I hope to see you over on the Caprica forum.

Idbeolderifiwas

[11]Mar 26, 2009
    • level: 20
    It's refreshing to see an editor so involved in the forums and daily activities of his editorship. Well done, Home

Jeric-Ho

[12]Mar 26, 2009
    • level: 34
    I too would like to congratulate you on keeping the BSG guide at it's best and very well kept over the course of the show, and making it my #1 source for BSG information! Thanks again! Good work!