Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Poll- Do Cylons age?

Do Cylons age?

mialza

[1]Jan 23, 2009
    • level: 14

This debate has been bugging me from the very beginning. For answers I put all possibilities plus an other category for the possibility only certain models within each group age, or the writers have something weird up their sleeve, always a possibility.

I firmly believe that all models age. I have used Tigh as an example in other threads, which means the final five must age. As for the other seven, I think the final five made them in their image and followed suit. As for why it hasn't come up yet in the show, its only been a couple of years and the models who have not died and been resurrected into fresh bodies have not had time to noticably age. Thats why the actors who played them, who have aged, still look almost the same as they did when they were introduced.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

zukiki

[2]Jan 23, 2009
    • level: 10
    I agree with you're reasoning. I'm open to the idea that the 7 models don't age, but I really haven't seen any proof that they've stayed the same age since we've only known of thier existance for the past 3 years (BSG time). No offense to CKR but I think it's safe to say that Leoben has aged in the past 5 years (our time) =P

tripping82

[3]Jan 23, 2009
    I think they all age. We haven't seen the 7 around long enough for them to age but it doesn't mean they don't.

scififan12921

[4]Jan 23, 2009
    • level: 6
    I agree, they all age but possibly at a slower rate than the five. I'd have to go back and look but I think they made the original hybrid look older from the webisodes to the Razor movie. Leobon def looks like he's aged some.

MetaLuna

[5]Jan 23, 2009
    • level: 5

You know what one of my favorite arguments is? "It's possible, therefore it's true."

The ONLY Cylon models that have actually aged, stated in the show, are the Final Five. The other 7 have not been aged in any way - not even in rumors or vague references or implications. Never. And think of alllll the times you've seen different models, and how every time they look exactly the same. Like the huge mob of Boomers... all exactly the same age. I suppose you COULD blame it on the fact that the same actress plays them all, but the show itself, so far, points to them NOT aging, and has done nothing to point to them actually aging.

mialza

[6]Jan 24, 2009
    MetaLuna you make a solid point but the simple fact is that not enough time has passed to tell if the first seven age. Tigh, as always, serves as the best example of how the final five age, but how can we possibly disprove that the others do not. I think they do age, but if they did die, before the destruction of the resurrection hub, they would resurrect in the base of their model, i.e. the youngest possible model. I think one of the biggest concerns among Cylons after the end of resurrection is not he end of immortality, but the recognition of their own mortality. They know that they will now grow old and die so they have a new lease on life and all that goes with it. In the end I think they all age but I'm really think that the writers will frak with us. They love throwing monkey wrenches into the works so I'm waiting for the inevitable twist that pisses us off, but at the same time make us say "oh yea".

MrBovineOrdure

[7]Jan 24, 2009

It seems unlikely that the 7 models being so hard to distinguish from humans that they wouldn't age. That's just the way cellular stuctures work but consider this;

The 7 don't *HAVE* to age. They can go a couple of years, then just off themselves and get a brandy-new body.

Seems like a fair trade-off for not being able to reproduce amongst themselves. Also a nice way to keep yourself in peak condition without all that diet and exercise.

D'anna's first couple of times killing herself didn't seem to get a whole lot of notice. It was just after she started doing it repeatedly that they started wondering. After all Blank bodies don't just grow on trees.

Mr BO

Edited on 01/24/2009 5:12am

psychickiller

[8]Jan 24, 2009
    • level: 9
    MrBovineOrdure wrote:

It seems unlikely that the 7 models being so hard to distinguish from humans that they wouldn't age. That's just the way cellular stuctures work but consider this;

The 7 don't *HAVE* to age. They can go a couple of years, then just off themselves and get a brandy-new body.

Seems like a fair trade-off for not being able to reproduce amongst themselves. Also a nice way to keep yourself in peak condition without all that diet and exercise.

D'anna's first couple of times killing herself didn't seem to get a whole lot of notice. It was just after she started doing it repeatedly that they started wondering. After all Blank bodies don't just grow on trees.

Mr BO

And with today's economy, it's worse to waste so many blanks.

Bionetic

[9]Jan 24, 2009
    • level: 8
    Of course with Cylon advanced tech it's possible that they have cosmetic advances that allow them to sustain their appearances for long periods of time. But if they do age, why then do Cylon models like Cavil choose such an old age. Wouldn't it be more efficient for them to choose a more youthful physique?

Ultimately, I have to agree with MetaLuna. There's nothing to suggest that the seven age.

MetaLuna

[10]Jan 24, 2009
    • level: 5
    Bionetic wrote:
    Ultimately, I have to agree with MetaLuna. There's nothing to suggest that the seven age.

And lots to suggest they don't.

Jeric-Ho

[11]Jan 25, 2009
    • level: 34
    I think only the final five age, and the other seven stay the same age or not even the same age but keep the same look all the time, as we have seen them be resurrected and they aways come back the same, not as a baby, an infant, a child, teen or of an elderly age, they always come back the same, so in my opinion they do not age, otherwise when they are resurrected they would come back as a baby and grow up again.

But also i guess on the other hand we still have no proof that the final five really do age, i think they do but no hard evidence has been shown, all we know from Tigh's life is that he has known Bill Adama for 30 years, so if this is true then he must age otherwise Bill would have noticed and surely would have said something, or thought it to be slightly strange that his friend of 30 years has not aged.

blackclown98

[12]Jan 26, 2009
    • level: 10
    Based on what we know today, I think only the Five age the way humans do. The 7 might go through some aging process, but IMHO it's not the same physical aging humans go through.

mr_grinch88

[13]Jan 26, 2009
    • level: 2
    In my personal hypothesis that the final five made humans, and then the humans made the seven, is that the fives & humans age, but the seven don't.

Tigh has most certainly aged, and Tyrel has memories of him as a boy.

Also, I believe that it requires a human or a final five to produce offspring, as the 7 clearly cannot, at least not without the help of the others. (Although, we just learned that Tyrel is not Nicky's father).

sheli20

[14]Jan 26, 2009
    mr_grinch88 wrote:
    In my personal hypothesis that the final five made humans, and then the humans made the seven, is that the fives & humans age, but the seven don't.

Tigh has most certainly aged, and Tyrel has memories of him as a boy.

Also, I believe that it requires a human or a final five to produce offspring, as the 7 clearly cannot, at least not without the help of the others. (Although, we just learned that Tyrel is not Nicky's father).

what memories does he have of a boy?
    and maybe the memories were planted?

any of them who believed they were human must have had memories planted into them just like with Sharon at the beginning of the series

MichaudMR

[15]Jan 27, 2009
    • level: 17
    If the original seven age then we would have seen multiple versions of the various models at different stages of development during the scenes when they showed groups of cylons interacting with each other.

scififan12921

[16]Jan 28, 2009

MichaudMR wrote:
    If the original seven age then we would have seen multiple versions of the various models at different stages of development during the scenes when they showed groups of cylons interacting with each other.

good point. It could also be possible that a drawback to resurrection technology is the bodies all age at the same time. Cavil was first so he has aged more than the others. Once they were successful with him they created the other models. When they realized a good way to get to human men with power was through seduction they created the 6s and 8s. D'Anna is female but uses intimidation and manipulation more than seductive traits.

sean2evo

[17]Jan 30, 2009
    Have you seen an older version of any of the 7? They all look exactly the same. Don't think they age.