Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

POLL: What should happen to the mutineers?

What should happen to the mutineers?

Bionetic

[1]Feb 9, 2009
    • level: 8
    I was wondering what Adama should do about the mutineers. I mean assuming the show doesn't try to sweep it under the carpet and pretend like nothing happened what would be the best recourse. I had a few ideas listed in the polls. Does anyone have any alternatives?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MrBovineOrdure

[2]Feb 9, 2009
    • level: 6

It depends really. Not all the mutineers deserve the same fate.

It's pretty safe to say that the marines from Pegasus all deserve the air-lock. Especially that one that wanted to do a repeat performance on Sharon.

Racetrack though part of the mutiny was clearly disturbed by the murder of the Pegasus engineer.

Kelly turned back. There should be some measure of forgivness for him

Problem is, that ship is undermanned as it is. It'll be hard to do with less

Mr BO

scififan12921

[3]Feb 9, 2009

I agree with Mr. BO-they will have to take a case by case basis. I think a good number turned away from the mutiny when Zarek killed the Quorum. The looks on some of the faces in CIC was a hint for me.

MrBovineOrdure

[4]Feb 9, 2009

I'm not sure you can go by the CIC folks. Most of them were held at gunpoint and certainly didn't cooperate when Zarek ordered people to the FTL drives or to defend themselves.

Mr BO

Idbeolderifiwas

[5]Feb 9, 2009
    • level: 20
    Well Zarek and Gaeta definitely got what was coming to them. But I do agree, it should be taken into account the amount of work each person put into it. If they were involved in any killings or in any sort of leading capacity they should be penalized worse than those just going along with it. Also I'm guessing that Narcho will probably be killed as well for leading the Viper squad.

MyManD

[6]Feb 9, 2009
    • level: 5

What usually happens in attempted revolutions is to kill the leaders and let the rabble fall back into line.

Edited on 02/09/2009 11:52pm

seto1

[7]Feb 10, 2009
    • level: 16
    To me alot of them went along not knowing the full imlpications and should be given a fare chance,stranding those that willing went along and comitted murder seems like to light a punishement to me.

Bionetic

[8]Feb 10, 2009
    • level: 8
    seto1 wrote:
    To me alot of them went along not knowing the full imlpications and should be given a fare chance,stranding those that willing went along and comitted murder seems like to light a punishment to me.

I don't think stranding them would be a light punishment at all. With limited resources they'd be forced to survive on local resources. They'd be starting from scratch to build some type of viable community. Ultimately how harsh the punishment seems would depend on the type of planet they are stranded on. I don't think throwing them out of an airlock is much of an option. The human species is already an endangered species. They are almost extinct as it is. And giving them a ship would be a good idea except that the ships would be traveling without a fuel mining vessel. Without a way to mine for fuel, the ship would run out of fuel and become stranded someplace. Giving them their own ships would be a waste of perfectly good resource. Based on what has been said already, I think locking them up on the prison ship is the best option. This way each person would get a chance to have their day in court eventually. So while Adama is sorting through the rabble, they can cool their heals behind bars.

my1sunshine

[9]Feb 10, 2009
    • level: 12
    I agree with you, Bionetic. And I think they should take their time doing it. They have bigger fish to fry right now. But it should be dealt with, or the law abiding people of the fleet might have a problem with it. Now that Earth has turned out to be a bust.. safety and a home should be the order of the day, and they just go slowly through them one by one. Trials should be held. Punishment should fit the crime. Hard labor would be nice... very hard labor. (I'm sure there's plenty given the old girl's condition.. if that repair is even possible, probably not though. I think she's about had it). But full on executions due to anger and payback tinged attitudes would be idiotic. And Adama, pissed as he is, knows he can't afford that luxury.

psychickiller

[10]Feb 11, 2009
    • level: 9
    All the leaders and high ranked officers who took part in the rebel must be executed, period. Thats how you deal with a failed revolution, Sad but true.

seto1

[11]Feb 11, 2009
    • level: 16
    What i meant is that how fair would it be to take already scarce resouces and give them those these mutineers,that would mean those loyal to the admiral actualy be affected by this.Death is also too heavy a punishment.They should be left to fend for themselves on some harsh world.

my1sunshine

[12]Feb 11, 2009
    • level: 12

psychickiller wrote:
    All the leaders and high ranked officers who took part in the rebel must be executed, period. Thats how you deal with a failed revolution, Sad but true.

Well, I guess we're glad you're not planning the survival of an extinct race, LOL.

Observant820

[13]Feb 12, 2009
    • level: 10

Gaeda was right... I think that Adama and the rest of those jerks are dictators and should be held accountable for their crimes. Of course I didn't see Gaeda get any kinda trial like they gave Adama. At least they could have faked it like they did for Adama, and since when was the Vice President able to be tried for mutiny? Why were they able to execute him like a military person?

I think it's a whole bunch of BS and all of the protagonists on this show are power hungry dictators who just don't have time to adhere to their own system of government they themselves agreed to.

Daxx00004

[14]Feb 12, 2009
    Observant820 wrote:

Gaeda was right... I think that Adama and the rest of those jerks are dictators and should be held accountable for their crimes. Of course I didn't see Gaeda get any kinda trial like they gave Adama. At least they could have faked it like they did for Adama, and since when was the Vice President able to be tried for mutiny? Why were they able to execute him like a military person?

I think it's a whole bunch of BS and all of the protagonists on this show are power hungry dictators who just don't have time to adhere to their own system of government they themselves agreed to.

You are kidding? Right? I am sure they had full, legal trials (unlike Adama) just off screen. We as viewers that know Adama and Roslyn understand they would have been particularly careful to mind their "p"s and "Q"s with these two. The trials may even have been broadcast for the rest on the fleet to ensure transparency. Adama has not committed any crime other than welcoming the villians from the Pegasus on the fleet and pardoning the collaborators from New Caprica.

psychickiller

[15]Feb 12, 2009
    Actually, I doubt there was any sort of trial. They nearly divided the fleet completely, and they were going to murder Adama and many people close to him. The execution was inevitable...

MrBovineOrdure

[16]Feb 12, 2009

Power hungry...

Adama began with the retirement of himself and his ship. After the attack had a "President" rammed down his throat. Then a Quorum. He was about to lead a futile defense against overwhelming odds then convinced otherwise.

He's forgiven insubordination, drunkeness on duty, dereliction of duty, abandonment of duty, several acts of mutiny. Power-hungry folks don't make a habit of that. They tend to be more Captian Queeg type folks.

Admiral Cain would be more in the definition of "Power hungry" than Adama. Even she had her reasons for arriving at the solutions she did. If Adama were indeed "Power Hungry" he'd have at least some of the self-agrandizing, paranoid negative aspects that tend to go along with folks like that, Rosalyn and the quorum would have been dead by his own hands long ago.

I don't buy that.

Mr BO.

scififan12921

[17]Feb 12, 2009
    seto1 wrote:
    What i meant is that how fair would it be to take already scarce resouces and give them those these mutineers,that would mean those loyal to the admiral actualy be affected by this.Death is also too heavy a punishment.They should be left to fend for themselves on some harsh world.

I don't think of Adama or Roslin as power hungry. I think they are doing the best they can with the crappy hand they've been dealt. If Adama had truly been that type of person he would've taken over from the start. Instead he worked through issues with a President he didn't overly respect or think should be in power and has forgiven a great many incidents. This was one he couldn't ignore or let go-Zarek had the entire Quorum executed! Gaeta gave orders to fire on the President and have Adama executed. I'm no expert on Colonial law(I bet only Ron Moore and David Eick are) but these things sound like treason to me. From what I understand these are punishable by death.