Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

POLL: Who is the Final Cylon? (spoilers)

Who do you think is the Final Cylon?

mortuus33

[161]Apr 17, 2008
    • level: 1

To deviate a bit from discussion, I've been theorizing about Saul Tigh's status as a Cylon, and how it possibly disturbs (or completely destroys) our current understanding of Cylon origin.

I think Tigh's age should be questioned first, as it came to my mind first as soon as he was revealed as a Cylon in the Season 3 finale. Through direct character development from other characters on the show (Adama, some flashbacks), Tigh is said to have started his military career as a lowly deckhand; however, he climbed the military rank ladder all the way up to Chief Petty Officer by the beginning of the First Cylon War. (http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Saul_Tigh#_note-deckhand). This, of course, brings up a striking question; how could a humanoid Cylon have existed before the first Cylon war? Tigh's very existence inherently throws away our previous understandings of Cylon evolution (the previously understood story being the original Cylon models started to "experiment" on bodies captured during the Cylon War, eventually creating the first "hybrid", which let to the humanoid Cylon models).

Secondly, and arguably less possible/important, is Tigh's susceptibility to perceived Cylon weaknesses (or lack thereof). For example, Tigh's extensive military career, which no doubt required him to traverse the planetary system of the colonies frequently, would have (and should have) exposed him to the high radiation levels observed in certain places in the planetary system (such as Ragnar, which made the Leoben Cylon seen during the miniseries die). By our current understanding of Cylon physiology, Tigh should also be highly susceptible to other viruses or bacteria that humans have developed an immunity to (i.e. the sickness which killed all of the humanoid Cylons on the Basestar which picked up the beacon on-board). Improbably possibilities aside, how could Tigh have avoided radiation sickness, and other diseases?

All of this, by nature, invites a slew of possible theories about true Cylon nature, and having proposed these question, I feel it necessary to put forth one of my own theories .

To start off, I believe that Tigh being a humanoid Cylon completely offsets the previously understood notion that Cylons were entirely created by humans from the 12 Colonies, and that humanoid Cylons were entirely created by the aforementioned colonial-created Cylons. That being said, I think it's logical to say that the Final Five Cylons (or at least Saul) came from another place altogether; Earth. Perhaps the time-line that the characters perceive on the show, fueled by religious scriptures, is in fact wrong, or backwards; perhaps the original humans came from Earth, and traveled outward from there, eventually reaching Kobol.

Another proponent to this theory is the phrase, frequently repeated: "All this has happened before, and will happen again". Perhaps the original humans from Earth created Cylons, which eventually rebelled, forcing them to look for a new home (Kobol). Original Cylons from Earth (reminiscent of the "Final Five") could have then pursued the humans to Kobol, underhandedly spearheading the advancement of Cylon technology, and repeating the devastating cycle once more, leading to the formation of the colonies. The cycle, in its third iteration, now finds humans pursuing Earth, which may end culminate in the humans settling in another planet altogether, rebuilding society, only to eventually repeat the destructive cycle again, put on by Cylon infiltrators from Earth.

These questions, and this theory (although incomplete ) definitely requires us to look at Cylon origin anew. What exactly does it mean to be a "Cylon"? Were the Final Five Cylons created in the same fashion as the other humanoid Cylons? If not, where did the other Five Cylons come from? All thought-provoking questions, and I myself will be watching Season 4 of BSG intently, waiting for them to be answered.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jdbond

[162]Apr 19, 2008
    • level: 6
    No one on the list is a Cylon.

FranVanster

[163]Apr 19, 2008
    • level: 15

I can't understand something. The raiders sensed that Anders is a Cylon. So I suppose that centurions should sense it, too. Well, then why Tigh was tortured on New Caprica by the Cylons? Why they were shooting Anders on Caprica? They have always been cylons and I don't think it's reasonable that the Cylons started to sense them after their "turning on" near the nebula.

Edited on 04/19/2008 12:34am

Idbeolderifiwas

[164]Apr 19, 2008
    • level: 20
    Probably because up until "Six of One" The Centurions were just stupid machines. They're not Biological like the Raiders, they were built to serve and were not sentient beings.

spaci

[165]Apr 19, 2008
    • level: 29
    I think the origins of the Cylons is a really good question, and possibly opens the floor up to some of the other possibilities. All the points Mortuus brought up seem pretty frakkin' valid, so an explanation is required, which means that all of our logical thinking may have to be reconsidered. If the skinjobs were around during the last war, then they may be advanced enough to have impregnated Adama's wife, so Zak may indeed be a Cylon (my preferred pet theory). Another possibility I see is that skinjobs didn't evolve until after the last war, but that they were able to usurp the lives of humans who died. Somehow they were able to record their minds and memories, and when they died (as perhaps Tigh might've during his lengthy military career) they were able to resurrect them as Cylons. Which could mean that anyone who's died could be the final Cylon. Since Leoban told Roslin that Adama was a Cylon, I think this means that the final is either Zak Adama, or Bill's dead wife.
    Edited on 04/19/2008 1:00pm
    Edited 2 total times.

kruptedseed

[166]Apr 19, 2008
    • level: 11

Has anyone else thought that we havn't even meet 4 of the five? They could be playing the bigs mine twist of all time. Did anyone think that Boomer could have done something to the Raiders? And she could have done something to the 4 to make they hear the music? Ron Moore could be seating there Laughing his butt off. Hmmmmm.

Edited on 04/19/2008 12:21pm

spaci

[167]Apr 19, 2008
    • level: 29
    kruptedseed wrote:

Has anyone else thought that we havn't even meet 4 of the five? They could be playing the bigs mine twist of all time. Did anyone think that Boomer could have done something to the Raiders? And she could have done something to the 4 to make they hear the music? Ron Moore could be seating there Laughing his butt off. Hmmmmm.

LOL - I like this one. Turning us all into paranoid conspiracy theorists. One way to make sure your show has a lasting legacy!!

FranVanster

[168]Apr 19, 2008
    If you are right, kruptedseed, what about Anders' eye in "Six of One"?
    Edited on 04/19/2008 1:25pm

kruptedseed

[169]Apr 19, 2008
    • level: 11
    FranVanster wrote:
    If you are right, kruptedseed, what about Anders' eye in "Six of One"?
    It could have been what i thought it was the first moment. The raiders reflection. Then i thought, his eye glowed. Has anyone taken a look at where the four work. (1) is in Command the (2nd) is in the office of the President the (3rd) is the Chief Mechanic and the (4th) is married to then became a Viper Pilot. Nice group wouldn't you say. I'm not saying i'm right. It's just something to think about.

jdbond

[170]Apr 20, 2008
    kruptedseed wrote:

And Chief's wife is dead because of that joke.

jdbond

[171]Apr 20, 2008

spaci wrote:
    I think the origins of the Cylons is a really good question, and possibly opens the floor up to some of the other possibilities. All the points Mortuus brought up seem pretty frakkin' valid, so an explanation is required, which means that all of our logical thinking may have to be reconsidered. If the skinjobs were around during the last war, then they may be advanced enough to have impregnated Adama's wife, so Zak may indeed be a Cylon (my preferred pet theory). Another possibility I see is that skinjobs didn't evolve until after the last war, but that they were able to usurp the lives of humans who died. Somehow they were able to record their minds and memories, and when they died (as perhaps Tigh might've during his lengthy military career) they were able to resurrect them as Cylons. Which could mean that anyone who's died could be the final Cylon. Since Leoban told Roslin that Adama was a Cylon, I think this means that the final is either Zak Adama, or Bill's dead wife.

Six said that she can sense the last 5. Obviosuly someone very alive is the 12th cylon.

tjaman

[172]Apr 21, 2008
    • level: 32
    It's so obvious to me that Gina Torres will be joining the cast to play the Twelfth Cylon. Which she will play, alternately, as a self-abusing nutjob, a proto-West Indies spy with a ludicrous accent, a graceful warrior woman and a bizarre and poorly retconned Messiah figure.

tripping82

[173]Apr 23, 2008
    • level: 14
    A random thought just popped into my head:

What if the final Cylon is Galactica. As in, the ship itself (similar to the Hybrid we see on the Basestars) is the final Cylon.

123home123

[174]Apr 23, 2008
    • level: 55
    I don't think that would work for several reasons. Most people would have a puzzled reaction to that. Do the large ships ever have self-awareness? We've only seen the smaller ships (the Raiders) with such awareness and personality. The crew have repaired and maintained so many systems on the ship that it seems unlikely they would miss something like its Cylon identity.

Vincent2013

[175]Apr 23, 2008
    • level: 7
    Maybe the final five are part of the new cylons living on earth with the humans, and if the skinjobs find out about this than they will kill the final five before they get to earth. Idk just grasping at straws i guess, I just really want to figure this out.

FranVanster

[176]Apr 24, 2008

Here's an idea:

The 13th tribe gets to Earth. All along, it believes that there is just one god, not 12. So this tribe creates the Cylons, somehow sends one of its own to the twelve colonies to "put" the idea of creating the Cylons, so the 12 colonies think that they created the toasters themselves, then "reconfigure" them to destroy the 12. That's their revenge, and lots of religious fanaticism.

adiav

[177]Apr 24, 2008
    • level: 8
    MikaWasHere wrote:

I think the fifth cylon is so obvious if you think who would make the biggest impact - as it has to be someone A) unexpected and B) someone who'se involvement is a shock and would affect many people. And like "deathtok", i too have for a LONG time thought that the best choice would indeed be Zak Adama.

To Bill Adama it would be the return of his dead son.
    To Apollo the return of his dead brother.
    And to Starbuck the return of his ex-fiancee.

Holy frak, that's the big reveal, folks:

Starbuck's a man, baby!

(Emphasis mine.)

Vincent2013

[178]Apr 24, 2008
    • level: 7
    What about D'Anna. I mean to one of the final five she said, "Forgive me I didnt know" who was she talking about, if it was her who took Tighs eye than it was him if not than it has to be the final one and she also told Baltar that he was right, now if we could find out everything she did, its possible that we could find the final one. Also it seems that throughout a couple of seasons, its been hinted that Tyrol was a cylon and it turned he was. And they also have been hinting that Baltar is a cylon, now i know it would be obvious but last night while reading the Battlestar wiki and reading about D'Annas character I just got this wave that Baltar is the final Cylon.

tripping82

[179]Apr 24, 2008
    The Final Cylon is
    ***SPOILER***

mattgus

[180]Apr 24, 2008
    could be the toasters as a whole,or ellen and i like baltars lawyer,but if it is a huge character i think i will be diapointed...the writers said laura's cancer will not get better this time on the special b/4 yr4 began...ireally like the explaination of 6 and baltar uploading together after the blast on cap...creative thinking(forgot who wrote it)...