Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Praise for Micheal Hogan (Saul Tigh)

stgA

[1]Mar 2, 2009
    • level: 3
    Ive grown to love this show more than any other presently on for many reasons, the excellent plot lines, the character developments, the stunning cgi and the biblical referencing also. However the acting on this show itself is just amazing, blows most other shows out of the water just on that as you can properly be drawn into the storylines through this great acting, in saying that there is one cast member who i think stands head and shoulders above even this amazing cast and that is of course Micheal Hogan (Saul Tigh). whenever he is in a scene as tigh its always a high point of the episodes, not only due to the chracter that tigh is but due to the fact that Hogans acting shows just how complex the character is and has been able to keep him appealing and unpredictable for the whole show. Basically this is just a post to say a big well done and hopefully others will comment agreeing, however if you would like to refute this or even put forward anyone you think is a better actor on the show then please feel free.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Hungry_Homer111

[2]Mar 2, 2009
    • level: 26
    I've gained a lot of respect for pretty much everybody on the show through the seasons. For me, there are 3 standout actors in the cast that have done a lot of great work throughout most of the series: James Callis (for making the already very well-written character into an even more complex, fascinating, and even funny character than it would have been without him), Mary McDonell (for playing the soft woman thrust into the presidency, while also dealing with her cancer, to near perfection), and Michael Hogan. Right now, I'm going back through the first season while also keeping up with the current season, and I'm struck with just how much he was under-used in the beginning (And I just want to mention that James Callis is unfortunately suffering the same thing in the 4th season). But even within those early episodes, he does a nice job at playing the tough, drunk second in command, but it just goes to show how much both the character and actor have matured, because within the last few seasons, he has constantly given top-notch performances, making the character one of my favorites on the show (again, he's up there with Roslin and Gaius- who has unfortunately slipped a bit due to being very under-used in this season).

ebony_kunoichi

[3]Mar 2, 2009
    • level: 13
    I have a preferece for Starbuck, I think Katee can act her butt off. However, when Saul lost his kid and cried it got me a little choked up. It was just so emotional. James Callis is a good actor, but I cant stand or understand Baltar these past two seasons. I also love Big Bill Adama! EJO is the bomb!

scififan12921

[4]Mar 2, 2009
    • level: 6
    I gave the reimagined series a chance when I saw Edward James Olmos and Mary McDonnell were cast. They haven't let me down yet. I do agree that over the course of the series Michael Hogan has shown some chops. However, I think the most growth in acting skills is Tricial Helfer. This is a woman who had little to no experience (according to RDM and David Eick in the miniseries commentary) and has shown great range. When she is head six, Gina or Caprica six you can tell which it is even if you come in in the middle of a scene. I also believe we've seen these actors grow because they have great material to work with. If the writing was garbage they would never have had the chance to shine this way.

Hungry_Homer111

[5]Mar 2, 2009
    • level: 26
    The more that I've thought about this, the more difficult it's been to say specific people stand out more than others. While I have often favored the three that I mentioned in my last post, so many of the actors have done an amazing job on this show, and have often proven time after time how strong their acting abilities are. When I first started watching the series, for some reason I didn't really pick up an all of the complexities of Adama's character, being both a tough leader and a soft-hearted man who truly cares about the people under him, and Edward James Olmos does an amazing job throughout the series showing this off, and I've grown to really admire his acting, both in the current season, and in my re-watch of season 1. Starbuck is another tough on the outside, soft on the inside kind of character, and we've seen plenty of both. Katee Sackhoff has done an amazing job throughout the series playing through both of these sides, and I have more and more respect for her abilities the more I watch (and re-watch) the episodes. And let's not forget the to major Cylons on the show. Grace Park does a great job playing these two very different forms of the "same" person, making their stories and their parallels/differences more compelling than they already would be. And I look at Tricia Helfer, who started off with what seemed like a pretty flat character, which was used mainly as a way to develop Gaius' character more, has had several other versions of that same character brought into the story, has done a great job at making each of those very believable, and playing them in a way that makes their differences very obvious to somebody who pays close enough attention, and we've even seen her give a very powerful performance the other week (in an otherwise sub-par episode).

Honestly, I just think that these actors are all amazing at playing these roles week after week, and just doing what the stories need them to do. Michael Hogan has come a very long way from where he started, and so have all the others. Because of this, it is just too hard to pick one actor above the others.

Delameko

[6]Mar 6, 2009
    • level: 8

I completely agree on Michael Hogan. Saul Tigh has become so multi-faceted over the course of the series. Starting out as a drunk, you come to understand and empathise with him.

It brings a tear to my eye everytime I see the scene where he's rescued from New Caprica.

Adama: "You brought them home Saul."

Saul: "Not all of them."

DarkAcolyte

[7]Mar 8, 2009
    • level: 8
    at first i couldn't stand him, but from new caprica onwards he quickly became my fav, great actor, great role

AndreasOS

[8]Mar 9, 2009
    • level: 6
    Looking back at the dawn of BSG (miniseries and season 1) I think that Micheal Hogan has been a more consistent actor than Edward James Olmos. Don't get me wrong, the Old Man is great, but in the initial episodes, I think his acting was a little strained. He quickly got into the stride of it, but Micheal Hogan has given us the same Saul Tigh from the start. And he's developed him into one of the greatest Commanding Officer characters I've seen in any series. He's an absolute ball breaker, and made some bad decisions, but at the core, he's a hugely honourable character. And Micheal Hogan puts that across in spades with his portrayal.

MovieMark

[9]Mar 9, 2009
    • level: 30
    Personally, every single actor on this show has given at one time or another pure gold as far as performances go - this is possibly one of the best examples of casting on TV, regardless of genre.

For me, though, I have a few favourites and can rarely just pick one. As someone above has said, Tricia, who was a bit wobbly in the beginning, mostly using her good looks and sensual voice to get her by, has become such a strong actress.

She plays many different characters and manages to add nuance to each 6, which is rather quite remarkable. Same goes for Grace Park, she just does this subtle change in her facial expression which immediately lets you know whether it's just another 8, Athena or Boomer. It's amazing.

Whenever EJO and Katee are onscreen together, it's fantastic! These are two actors who have really nailed their characters and sell their lines, no matter how complicated or ridiculous which such conviction, I buy it every time.

Mary, meanwhile, is just such a remarkable actress, I love almost every scene she's in - she really elevates the rest of the cast in terms of performances, and her line delivery is impeccable.

From Cally and Dee, to Chief and various others, this show has offered us superb acting.