Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Salute To Richard Hatch!! (spoilers from "Blood on the Scales")

my1sunshine

[1]Feb 7, 2009
    • level: 12

Now that the character of Tom Zarek is dead, I think this is an appropriate time to honor the multi-talented Richard Hatch.

Richard, as most know, was the actor who originally brought the character of Apollo, son of Adama, to life on the original BSG.. brilliantly, I might add. Apollo, in the original shared many qualities of his counterpart on this series. He was strong, noble, and very much bound to a high standard of morals, and concience. Hatch's Apollo never had a first name, though. None of the original's characters did. He was simply Apollo, by name.. not call sign. In temperment, though, he ws pretty much a choirboy compared to the kick ass qualities of our Lee. But as hokey as the original series could be, Hatch's acting in the part was, I felt, a tether of realism that the series very much needed to bring it down to earth when the plotline called for it.

Even before the series was cancelled, when it was still thought there would be a second season, Hatch brought a few storylines to the writers attention, which eventually became story outlines. These included, among other things, human model Cylons.. which could, and might infiltrate Colonial society. This was never brought to fruition, and Hatch never sought writing credit. It was his love for the characters, and a vision for what the series could become , which was important to him. When the original series was cancelled, Hatch labored to have it brought back in it's original form. The executives,and the network felt otherwise, and it was ressurected as Galactica 1980.

Galactica 1980 was a farce, and save for Lorne Greene as Adama, and Herb Jefferson Jr, as Boomer.. none of the other regulars were used. I don't know wether they were aproached or not. I know Hatch thought the whole premise was laughable, and the whole Galactica spirit was pretty much transformed as a joke. A last ditch attempt was made to save the show by bringing regulars back, starting with Dirk Benedict's Starbuck.. but it was too late. Galactica was dead.

But Richard Hatch never forgot the spirit of the show, and the character of Apollo. He wrote several novelizations.. excellent storys, continuing storylines of the series, and inventing new ones. For those who wish to check them out.. they are listed by title and year in the wiki page for Mr. Hatch.

For many years, he spent much of his free time and money to bring Galactica back. He wrote a pilot called "Battlestar Galactica: The Second Coming ". He assembled many of the original actors, and using his own financing, made a trailer for it to show what the returning series would look like. It had a harder, grittier, more realistic edge.. much more like this show, then the original. This trailer does exist, but has not been seen by many.. having only been shown at a few conventions. You can see a very poor quality posting of it on You Tube.

For various reasons, it never got done, and instead.. Universal sought out other avenues.

When Hatch heard about Ron Moore's re-imaganing, he felt angry and betrayed. He became very vocal, and rallied many fans to stop Moore's BSG from reaching fruition. It was to Moore's credit, and Hatch's intelligence and class.. that the two men met, and Hatch began to warm to what Moore was trying to do .

Writing the role of Tom Zerek, and giving it to Richard, was pure poetry. Zarek could not be more of a contrast to everything that Apollo was. And to my surprise, Richard has pulled it off beautifully. He had brought to life a very complex, confusing, and dangerous character. He was a joy to watch as Zarek, and always left the viewer guessing, and ever vigilant as to what the man would do next.

Zarek's death was a neccesity in the current plotline, and he had, as many pointed out, reached his darkest depths in this revolution. Now Richard can sit back like the rest of us, and watch the series play out to it's conclusion in the last six episodes to come. I wonder what's going through his head? He's been in this thing since the beginning, and played out his own revolution behind the scenes, surrendered with grace, and participated in the re-birth in ways, I'm sure, that he never dreamed.

So, anyway.. that's my little tribute to the man. I felt he deserved it.

Indeed, I would venture to say, had it not been for Richard's persistance of vision, we would not have been able to enjoy the last six years, and we would not have this forum to connect and discuss our love for this wonderful show. I think we owe him more than most of us realise.

Farewell, Tom Zarek. And thank you, Richard Hatch for your participation in what has been a long, strange trip for you, and us all!

Cheers!

Edited on 02/08/2009 5:10am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

alllstarz

[2]Feb 7, 2009
    • level: 4

Here Here;

Cheers to a great multi-talented Actor who got to contribute to something he started and subsequent place in Cult in the sci-fi community.

scififan12921

[3]Feb 7, 2009
    • level: 6

Nicely done. He talks about having the same number of episodes in BSG(2003) vs the original in the latest David Eick video blog. I know I was thrilled when he turned up in "Bastille Day" having been a fan of the original when I was a kid.

eater11

[4]Feb 8, 2009
    • level: 18
    Awesome post, I will actually be seeing him at the Australian Version of Comic Con this April.

123home123

[5]Feb 8, 2009
    • level: 55
    I agree that he brought a lot to both BSG series, especially with his complex role of Tom Zarek.

(NOTE: I added a spoiler warning to this thread.)

Kondix

[6]Feb 8, 2009
    • level: 11
    I just think, the best about Tom Zarec is that he never became a real villian... his methods where villianous... his motivations never pure... but he seemed to be always more complex... not black, but with various shades of grey... I think it is really cool he went out with a big bang... an ending that he had coming for years... little bit sad he took Gaeta with him...

my1sunshine

[7]Feb 8, 2009

123home123 wrote:
    I agree that he brought a lot to both BSG series, especially with his complex role of Tom Zarek. (NOTE: I added a spoiler warning to this thread.)

Sorry, 123home123, I forgot that many might not have seen it yet. Let my enthusiasm get out there. Thanks for putting the warning there.

psychickiller

[8]Feb 11, 2009
    • level: 9
    Yeah, I checked this thread before watching the episode... And you wrote about the death right on start :/

He had it coming, though, so I wasn't surprised anyhow.

Great and interesting post btw. Tom Zarek was a great character.

dragon755

[9]Feb 17, 2009
    • level: 7
    I hated Tom Zerek, but only because of Richard Hatch's great portrayal of the complex character. I also had no idea about his history which makes me appericate him or the more. Im glad u came (and left it has to be said lol) back to the show and good luck in everything from now on.

my1sunshine

[10]Feb 26, 2009

I just found out someone has posted a watchable copy of Hatch's "Battlestar Galactica: The Second Coming" trailer. Check it out. This is how Hatch wouldv'e offered Galactica's return. This was made in 1999.

I'm posting this at both this and the Larson BSG movie thread, because I'm hoping THIS is more what Laron has in mind, unless he's an idiot, and tries another re-make.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybIyzTO4zhU

Daxx00004

[11]Mar 1, 2009
    • level: 9
    my1sunshine wrote:

I just found out someone has posted a watchable copy of Hatch's "Battlestar Galactica: The Second Coming" trailer. Check it out. This is how Hatch wouldv'e offered Galactica's return. This was made in 1999.

I'm posting this at both this and the Larson BSG movie thread, because I'm hoping THIS is more what Laron has in mind, unless he's an idiot, and tries another re-make.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybIyzTO4zhU

Not a bad trailer. I remember Hatch talking about his concept at the 20th anniversary BSG convention in LA way back when. I don't remember seeing the trailer though.

Hungry_Homer111

[12]Mar 1, 2009
    • level: 26
    Until very recently, I didn't know he had any creative connection to the shows, even though I knew that he was in both shows. Even when I only knew about him being in both shows, I had a lot of respect for him as an actor, because (as was pointed out earlier), his two characters were completely different, and yet, he pulled them both off very well. After learning about his creative connections to the BSG universe, I've definitely gained more respect for him, since he not only seems to know the material very well, and had some great ideas for possible returns for the story, but he was able to put aside his initial feelings towards the new show, and even contribute greatly to it.

Zarek's character was one that did start to get on my nerves, specifically in those last couple episodes, but that's not really saying anything against Richard Hatch himself. In fact, if it wasn't for Richard Hatch, the character itself wouldn't have been as great as it was (even if the writing for the character was great, it needed a great actor like him to really pull it off). So, in the end, while the character deserved the fate that he got, I'm glad that he was a part of the series, and made it that much better than it already would have been.