Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Scar ep a ripoff of Space Above and Beyond?

BisquickDynamo

[1]Feb 6, 2006
    • level: 2
    Does anybody remember the show Space: Above and Beyond?

Anybody think the Scar episode was a little too similar to the "Chiggy Von Richtoffson" episode of that show?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Freeman79

[2]Feb 6, 2006
    • level: 11
    BisquickDynamo wrote:
    Does anybody remember the show Space: Above and Beyond?

Anybody think the Scar episode was a little too similar to the "Chiggy Von Richtoffson" episode of that show?

I haven't listened to the podcast yet but I think they made this episode as a tribute to Space Above And Beyond. Because when it got canceled after the first season, bad move FOX, BSG was not. And if it hade been I would be very sad.

seanconery

[3]Feb 7, 2006
    • level: 10
    I don't remember that episode, but Space Above and Beyond was a great show.

BisquickDynamo

[4]Feb 7, 2006
    It's out on DVD, I don't know if you know that or not.

It's a legendary show to my brother and I, and when we finally sat down to rewatch the first episode after having seen shows like Firefly, we were just dead silent at how crappy it was. It picks up dramatically as it gets farther into the series, but the first ep is laughable. Nothing like we remembered.

The "Chiggy Von Richtoffson" ep was about an enemy fighter who would destroy all the best pilots when they went out on runs. They had no idea who it was, so they named him after the Red Baron from World War 2. The only way they knew it was him, was scrawling on his wing that said "Abandon all hope". Eventually McQueen defied doctors orders, removed an anti vertigo implant he had in his head from an old flight wound, gained back his flight status, and took the alien out.

Good episode. It was basically the exact same as Scar but without the Cat/Starbuck drama.

port5170

[5]Feb 7, 2006
    • level: 12
    seanconery wrote:
    I don't remember that episode, but Space Above and Beyond was a great show.

I miss that show

seanconery

[6]Feb 8, 2006
    From what I remember it was a great show, the only flaw was their depiction of the Marines and the fact that the same highly trained pilots were used as infantry.

Freeman79

[7]Feb 9, 2006
    BisquickDynamo wrote:

It's a legendary show to my brother and I, and when we finally sat down to rewatch the first episode after having seen shows like Firefly, we were just dead silent at how crappy it was. It picks up dramatically as it gets farther into the series, but the first ep is laughable. Nothing like we remembered.

The "Chiggy Von Richtoffson" ep was about an enemy fighter who would destroy all the best pilots when they went out on runs. They had no idea who it was, so they named him after the Red Baron from World War 2. The only way they knew it was him, was scrawling on his wing that said "Abandon all hope". Eventually McQueen defied doctors orders, removed an anti vertigo implant he had in his head from an old flight wound, gained back his flight status, and took the alien out.

Good episode. It was basically the exact same as Scar but without the Cat/Starbuck drama.

The Red Baron was a german fighter pilot in World War 1.

Kounji

[8]Feb 9, 2006
    BisquickDynamo wrote:

Holy Crap I remember that episode. Yeah I was trying to think of what I saw that reminded me of BSG entirely and it was space above and beyond. But yet it was like a red chig fighter that they had to take on. I had forgotten how they beat it. This is a much better show than that series was but it had some memorable episodes like that one and the very last episode. The last episode of space above and beyond was just horrifying and sad.

Kounji

[9]Feb 9, 2006
    seanconery wrote:
    From what I remember it was a great show, the only flaw was their depiction of the Marines and the fact that the same highly trained pilots were used as infantry.

Yeah that never made any sense cause they basically were using a really valuable resource (pilots) as marines and it was just nuts cause i mean they fly in space that has to take like years of training.

seanconery

[10]Feb 9, 2006
    Kounji wrote:
    seanconery wrote:

Yeah that never made any sense cause they basically were using a really valuable resource (pilots) as marines and it was just nuts cause i mean they fly in space that has to take like years of training.

That was exactly my thoughts. Does it seem like the woman that killed Scar became a good pilot overnight? In all the other episodes it seems like she was a crappy pilot.

FeldmanSkitzoid

[11]Feb 9, 2006
    It comes from an old John Ford western. The character was even named Scar.

bizzarojerry

[12]Feb 9, 2006
    • level: 3
    The Space Above and Beyond episode was called "Angriest Angel"

It was one hell of a episode.. ;-)

The Chiggy's where trailing a new kind of heavy fighter, one that was heavily armoured, stealthed and carried more firepower than their atypical attack vessels.

Whole squads encountered just one these fighters and they didn't even scratch the dam thing, in the end the squadron leader went out himself one on one with the beast.

He pulled this crazy high velocity flip move and shoved 4 missiles up its tail pipe.

The Chiggy's stopped its development after that....

Great episode I still remember it this day, it was intense...

Scar was good too but it would’ve been better if they where somehow able to salvage scar / capture him alive… and… I wonder if Sharon was able to explain why he has the scar ;-) perhaps from a wound or some sort of decoration…

Regards

BizzaroJerry

davies78

[13]Feb 10, 2006
    • level: 7
    Hang on.In the last episode the chig takes off his helmet.To reveal that he is in fact the little alien thing that thay let live????? The worst ending to a series ever.Or was there more after that episode that possibly we did not get in the U.K.

Freeman79

[14]Feb 11, 2006
    Nopp that was not the one alien they let live. But from the same spieces. And nopp no more after that. The show was canceled by FOX. FOX is the major bad guy(company) here.

Wroth91

[15]Feb 12, 2006
    • level: 6
    I definately remember watching one of the last few episodes of BSG and thinking "WOW! Space Above and Beyond!" The episode I was thinking of is when one of the "clones" (or whatever McQueen and the other pilot was) is with the hooker and find the "green meanies" and that she has a little kid. The whole scene from that episode seemed to be recreated with Apollo on Cloud Nine at the start of "Black Market", right down to him seeing the bottle of pills (though Apollo doesn't take them like in S:AaB).

I didn't really link "Angriest Angel" to "Scar", but I guess I can see the parallels a little.

BisquickDynamo

[16]Feb 12, 2006
    Freeman79 wrote:
    BisquickDynamo wrote:

The Red Baron was a german fighter pilot in World War 1.

My mistake.

BisquickDynamo

[17]Feb 12, 2006
    Kounji wrote:
    seanconery wrote:

Obviously I have no clue what it would bel ike to pilot a space fighter in space, but wouldn't it, in theory, be remarkably easy seeing as how there is no atmosphere? It seems like it would, pretty much, be just like asteroids. It would probably be difficult to get good at, but I would think operating would just be "boost/correct/boost/correct/" ad nauseum.

seanconery

[18]Feb 13, 2006
    BisquickDynamo wrote:
    Kounji wrote:
    seanconery wrote:

Obviously I have no clue what it would bel ike to pilot a space fighter in space, but wouldn't it, in theory, be remarkably easy seeing as how there is no atmosphere? It seems like it would, pretty much, be just like asteroids. It would probably be difficult to get good at, but I would think operating would just be "boost/correct/boost/correct/" ad nauseum.

No, because there is no gravity, so it's like you have another axis. There is no definitive up or down. In asteroids you are stuck in one plane.

Arcelebor

[19]Feb 24, 2006
    • level: 5
    seanconery wrote:

Eh, that's something you overlook as a necessary evil of it being a tv show. And they seemed to handle the fact pretty well, making up situations in which it wasn't completely preposterous.

I thought that the show was really solid but, even in the one season, sort of ran out of ways to express it's original feel. The plot started to shift, therefore, into something new that never really had any resonance.

wedgeantilles54

[20]Feb 24, 2006
    • level: 12
    Yeah it was extermalyl simualr to Scar now that you mention it