Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Series Finale: Major Disappointment

ShotgunBlade

[1]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 7
    Who else thought that the end of this series was a massive let down? The ending made it clear that despite the brilliant, strong writing of the show for most of its run the writers were clearly backing themselves into a corner towards the end, and it showed. I'm willing to get into specifics later, but the general consensus on the internet seems to somehow be that the finale was good, which makes no sense to me - it was terrible in almost every aspect. I'm wondering who else was let down by the finale, or just thought it was flat out bad like I did, and why.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

123home123

[2]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 55
    I don't agree with your take on it. All I'll say is that you can't always please everyone. The quality of any particular episode is always a subjective call but to say it's "flat out bad"? No, I can't really see how one could come to that conclusion unless you were expecting a different sort of show.

poggie

[3]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 5

ShotgunBlade wrote:
    Who else thought that the end of this series was a massive let down? The ending made it clear that despite the brilliant, strong writing of the show for most of its run the writers were clearly backing themselves into a corner towards the end, and it showed. I'm willing to get into specifics later, but the general consensus on the internet seems to somehow be that the finale was good, which makes no sense to me - it was terrible in almost every aspect. I'm wondering who else was let down by the finale, or just thought it was flat out bad like I did, and why.

I agree with you 100%. It answered nothing and left more holes open than the olg battlestar itselg after the cylons shot at it in the ep.

Really disappointed. I mean, we have great shows cancelled that end weak because theyre cancelled and writers have to wrap it up in a few eps. This was an official ending?

Starbuck was what? How did baltar do anythying that was asked of us to think he was doing? Caprica and him are now eternal? Harbinger of death where? See WHO on the other side?

Nothing made any damn sense. It ended like a flop.

BAH.

Edited on 03/21/2009 1:46pm

Timewhisper

[4]Mar 21, 2009
    I thought the finale was great but it did leave unresolved questions:
    1. How did Kara come back from the dead?
    2. What exactly is the higher power that head Baltar and head Caprica work for? Is is supernatural of simply very advanced?
    3. How far back was this planned if Kara remembers the music from childhood?

123home123

[5]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 55
    Though everyone is free to post civilized thoughts and opinions about the show, please refrain from inflammatory language, off-topic political statements, and threats against anyone, including anyone affiliated with the show. Keep in mind that I will not let this thread degenerate into a no-holds-barred, name-calling, out-of-control feeding frenzy. Thank you.
    Edited on 03/21/2009 1:49pm

ShotgunBlade

[6]Mar 21, 2009

I understand the sentiment that "you can't please everyone" - especially with a show as long running as this, it is usually difficult to come to a satisfying conclusion for all.

However, this ending was not even satisfacctory- it was plain bad. The characters acted irrationally. The plot was tied up terribly, especially the major, over-reaching plot points. Even the finale's general execution (i.e. pacing, suspense, action, building of tension) was a huge letdown. There were many things wrong with the finale, but I'll throw out some topics for starters:

The whole purpose of risking thousands to retrieve Hera ultimately being pointless. She didn't have the coordinates to Earth (well, she did, but Starbuck was the one that took them there anyway), or play any significant role i nthe resolution of any plot lines, just that throwaway bit about her being the mitochondrial eve (as if the other characters left on Earth didn't breed?). The fact she was half cylon half human was not important in the end, at all. It isn't as if she bridged some gap between the two races at the conclusion of things.

The actual retrieval of Hera. They basically walked in, shot some people, got shot at, then walked into Hera and hopped back out. Almost no tension whatsoever. The last big fight against the cylons and who, of importance, died? 2 insignificant extras (in the ship outside the fight no less) and Boomer? REALLY? Not that I'm for needless deaths in shows as a plot device (OH NO WILL THEY LIVE OR DIE is the kind of bad writing you see in shows like 24) but to have the last stand with almost no significant character casualties is weak writing because significant people NEED to die for the viewer to believe that there is actual danger to the characters. The mutiny handled that aspect much better than the finale...part of me wishes they just reworked the mutiny as the finale.

That the humans were willing to throw their technology away. There are what, tens of thousands left, and we're to believe they would willingly throw away all of their advantages technologically and scatter to different areas of the globe? To lose technology to "break the cycle", despite the fact they will inevitably develop that technology once more? To believe that they would sail the ships into the sun and get to deal with a severely lower life expectancy, no advanced medical treatments, death at the hands of predators and illnesses that could have been easily treated? A hard sell, and what do they justify it with, a whim of Lee's that everyone "surprisingly" accepted? Crap writing.

Tyrol choking out Tory Foster over the death of Cally, who he himself implied he never really loved but settled for AND cheated on him, effectively ruining peace between the cylons and humans despite the fact that everyone was apparently cool with Tigh killing Ellen and not to mention the past thousands of years of history they all had, and then afterward everyone is just like "OH HEY ITS COOL MAN" despite effectively ruining everything at stake over one person's death. Crap writing.

Anders character. He was basically a floating turd for the second half of the season. They trumped up the final 5 only for them to have no real significance whatsoever.

The introduction, and then subsequent lack of explanation, of the Number 7 cylon (Daniel). I realize this wasn't specific to the finale, but it wasn't wrapped up by the finale, so I am including it. The introduction of Daniel was absolutely retarded. If Ron Moore wasn't going to follow up with this character's significance, or work him into the plot somehow, or show who he was, he shouldn't have even mentioned him/them. The writers inserted this surely knowing people would be asking "ok, well, who is it?", and I thought it was a nice touch: after seeing the final 5 revealed and thinking that was the end of it, no more unexpected revelations of humans as cylons, maybe one more person in the fleet was one (I know they said the line died, but who knows - one could easily been saved). I thought Gaius would have been it (thus he and Caprica Six could have created some baby that was the first breeding between cylons), and then I thought they HEAVILY implied it was Kara's father on the piano (turns out it wasn't. Ron Moore went as far as to say it wasn't, effectively blowing apart a theory without providing any resolution to that storyline). I thought Kara's father as a cylon would have been a great twist...everyone was going ape **** over Hera when all along they had a half human, half cylon in the fleet, leading them to Earth no less. But no, no followup with that at all.

Starbuck and Future/Virtual Six and Gaius being "angels". Come on, this has deus ex machinae and terrible writing written all over it. Rather than explaining this in some logical or even exciting way which they could have done, they took the weak plot device route.

It was just...bad.

lordxymor

[7]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 5

I just saw the episode then I was reading the comments in the official thread and I can't believe how many people thought that was an epic or the greatest episode ever. I'm severely disappointed.

That ending is full of plot wholes irrationality and left just too many unanswered questions. Before the last episode,

I thought this was one the best sci-fi series yet. If that's the 'explanation' they are giving, the 'unending cycle' that is, they pretty much ruined the series for me.

Edited on 03/21/2009 2:48pm

MrShotShot

[8]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 15
    I couldn't disagree more. It was tightly written and, for me at least, answered ALL of the nagging questions - some going back to the mini-series. I even liked how they brought the whole thing back around to the theme of the original series - and no, not just through the music.

With all due respect, some of the "unanswered questions" posted above seem to be from viewers who really didn't seem to understand what they were seeing last night and throughout the series.

Also, how else could it have ended? The fleet still limping through space?

ShotgunBlade

[9]Mar 21, 2009

There were plenty of other potential endings that would have been better. Regardless, the "how else could it have ended" argument is moot, because it doesn't make the ending we did get any less bad.

And believe me, I understood it all - it just wasn't good. My argument isn't that it didn't answer the show's questions, it just did so in an extremely poor, unsatisfying way.

guidryp

[10]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 8
    Agree. Lot of pointless illogical actions to serve the plot.

We need a big final battle: Insane Rescue mission for one child. We need to land on our earth: Nonsensically abandon all technology.

Then the ultimate deus ex machina to "cover" but not explain all the holes: God/Angles did it.

So nonsensical actions to serve plot, and God/Angles did it to avoid explaining anything.

But I didn't expect different, the last two seasons have been going in this direction.

Ludvico01

[11]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 4
    The major disappointment for me is the series is ending. There were some areas that the writers could have improved on, but overall, they did a good job. I think the character who was redeemed was Balthar. Six said he finally made her proud of him. The question I had at the end was what happened to Kara's father? Now, I have little to look forward to for Friday nights.

Billkup

[12]Mar 21, 2009

the one thing the finale didnt explain is the "greater power" that manipulated the events and especially kara, baltar and caprica six. its obviously not the "almighty god" in our christian definition, its more a sort og higher being like the prophets in ds9.head baltar, head six and kara surely werent angels, they never reffered to themselves that way. there is a bsg tv movie coming up named "the plan", it wouldnt suprise me if we got more answers regarding this question in this movie.

i can agree that one thing was bady explained, the way the colonists abandonend technology, because they really didnt. as i wrote in another thread, the colonists bear the names of alot of gods, half-gods and other magical beings in our mythology.moore is strongly suggesting that those colonists were the models for those mythical figures. those mythic figures had "magical powers", they could fly, they could miraculously heal even the heaviest injuries, they had powerful weapons and they lived in highly evolved cities with all sorts of "magical properties" and hidden knowledge (aka technology). moores made the mistake to demand from all the viewers to have enough knowledge/interest in mythology in order to connect the dots that the colonists abandoned the idea of creating a new colonial colony, but didnt abandon technology, nor their knowledge.he should have invested a few more minutes in explaining those ideas.

hera was a self-fulfilling prophecy, only by rescueing her the fleet discovered earth, and if that is not important....

guidryp

[13]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 8
    Nope they abandoned technology. Lee said: "We break the cycle we leave it ALL behind and start over"
    "We give them the best part of ourselves (language), NOT the ships, the equipment, the technology, or the weapons".

Then relocated everyone and loaded everything on the ships and sent them into the sun. It is total nonsense but they completely abandoned technology. After the ships are gone you can see migration on foot by people that have backpacks as their highest form of technology.

therealcromar

[14]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 6

Everything plot-wise that happened after they found Earth was nonsense. I don't mind the final ending (150,000 years later), though the technophobe bull**** was laughable (and way too common in sci-fi). What killed me was the decision by the humans to all give up and die. Yes, give up and die, not settle on earth. Without any technology and reverting to an agrarian lifestyle, everyone would have been picked off by disease, hunger, and animals. It's just stupid. So, let's assume they miraculously survive. Do you really think people would give up indoor plumbing? Or indoors, at all? Why would Bill abandon his son?

In case somebody jumps in with some bull**** about the Amish, the Amish do not shun technology, that is a popular myth. They avoid *modern* technology. They use plenty of old technology and happily trade with us modern folk. Also, not all of the kids of the Amish community stay there, since it's a voluntary decision. And, most importantly, that community makes up an incredibly tiny fraction of this country, not to mention the human race. How are we supposed to believe that the 35-40k survivors (forgot the exact number) would ALL adapt this lifestyle? Why would more than a handful do this?

The ending was, simply put, stupid. People who are happy with the ending are delusional. They know, deep down, how stupid the decisions of the humans were, but they just can't admit it because of following the show for so many years. I loved this show for a long time, despite many plot holes. I loved the ending up until they found earth. Everything after that commercial break just floored me. How could it have gone that wrong? Did nobody on the production team tap RDM on the shoulder and say "Uh, what are you thinking?"

If they ended Voyager with the crew reaching the Alpha Quadrant, seeing the other ships, and then suddenly without explanation turning around and going back through the wormhole - would people think that was rational? What if the Sopranos had no ending at all (oh wait, nevermind). What if The Shield ended with Shane coming home and the cops decided to let bygones be bygones, and he and Vic held hands and skipped off into the sunset? What if Firefly ended with Simon turning River into the feds, just for the hell of it? I could go on, really, but you get the point. Hardcore fans, no matter how dedicated, have to be aware of situations where the plotting for their show goes off the rails because the writers simply made awful decisions about their characters.

AprilFox

[15]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 111
    Kara was the resurrection of Jesus. She came back at HIS (he doesn't like to be called that God) will to help humanity find their way. For me the episode was transcendental and held more answers than people are willing to listen to, that was the whole point.

alfridavella

[16]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 12

It wasn`t after all that bad. Yes it had many faults. I loved the last battle with the cylons to resue hera. But i was disappointed about how they left Starbuck just disappeared.I love her. When she diseappeared after she talked to Lee and she said that she is happy. i was hoping that she comes back even to talk to Leoben the cylone number 2. Leoben was like her priest a way to help her , show her the way. but when she and leoben found her body on lost earth and told him what the hybrid told her he was frightened and from then on no confrontation or any source of talking. Even the hybrid if they said that Kara will take the humanlity to extension. What was that than !!! And of cos at the end i wish even when she said goodbye to sam and he said see you at the other side. If made a couple of seconds to show that they got happy together. Even i accept it when she disppeared even if it wasn`t lee adam i like the hot atmosphere between them , but live him hiking and climbing cliff. Afterall Bill Adama always taught of starbuck as his daughter that he never had.

No special effects when sam had all the fleet distroyed. If he drove them into the sun they probably would have done a big boom, all that nuclear power

I like one of the ideas that i read from this thread about kara father , the twist that he was a cyclone and so she was half human and half cylcone some information about who is starbuck and maybe why they call her that.

It is a good idea about a new movie to tie the loose ends. The plan have to be excellent. Hoping that Starbuck would be there and even the Lee adama all the main characters.

oz_island

[17]Mar 21, 2009

Why don't people understand that it's science fiction? Not everything needs to be explained or even explainable. And how many times does it have to be said...that was not Baltar and Six at the end. It was head Baltar and head Six.

I definitely don't think it was the best episode of TV ever written, but it was a dam good ending to an awesome show.

ShotgunBlade

[18]Mar 21, 2009
    Since when did the genre of science fiction mean that things don't have to be explained/explainable? Science fiction means you can take some liberties as to the development of technology and in many cases introduction of alternate life forms, but it's hardly a free check to skip rational explanations - what gave you that idea?

mpalmer32

[19]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 1
    The season finale was a disaster. What a letdown. I like, and wanted a little exposition. I wanted to understand the bigger picture. Instead, the trump card was pulled. The explanation to everything by the lazy soothsayer. Why was Baltar having visions of the six? Why was Starbuck still about? Why did the piano fall out of the sky and on my toe this morning, and magically bounce off? GOD DID IT. Yup, whenever you want to look for an easy way out, just say GOD. What a crock, ROTFLMAO.

oz_island

[20]Mar 21, 2009

ShotgunBlade wrote:
    Since when did the genre of science fiction mean that things don't have to be explained/explainable? Science fiction means you can take some liberties as to the development of technology and in many cases introduction of alternate life forms, but it's hardly a free check to skip rational explanations - what gave you that idea?

It is fiction that's why. You're getting caught up in the science part. Hey...they never explain the theory behind their FTL drives. Man the show is totally ruined for me now (please note the extreme sarcasm)

There doesn't have to be a rational explanation for every single event on a science fiction show. To me they explained all major plot lines satisfactory. I had small complaints, but a lot of them were dealt with in the interviews that RM has done about the show.