Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Series Finale: Major Disappointment

mpalmer32

[21]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 1
    Bang on. Too easy. Too airy fairy. I hope those centurions in the baseship come back and nuke Earth, so we don't ever have to be dissapointed by this finale.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ShotgunBlade

[22]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 7
    oz_island wrote:

It is fiction that's why. You're getting caught up in the science part. Hey...they never explain the theory behind their FTL drives. Man the show is totally ruined for me now (please note the extreme sarcasm)

There doesn't have to be a rational explanation for every single event on a science fiction show. To me they explained all major plot lines satisfactory. I had small complaints, but a lot of them were dealt with in the interviews that RM has done about the show.

The show doesn't have to explain science or technology elements given the genre. It's still responsible for explaining plot lines and character decisions.

oz_island

[23]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 12
    ShotgunBlade wrote:
    oz_island wrote:

It is fiction that's why. You're getting caught up in the science part. Hey...they never explain the theory behind their FTL drives. Man the show is totally ruined for me now (please note the extreme sarcasm)

There doesn't have to be a rational explanation for every single event on a science fiction show. To me they explained all major plot lines satisfactory. I had small complaints, but a lot of them were dealt with in the interviews that RM has done about the show.

The show doesn't have to explain science or technology elements given the genre. It's still responsible for explaining plot lines and character decisions.

But again...it's a science fiction show. The explanations do not have to be rational. They don't even have to make sense. If you want to watch a show that explains everything with logic and rationale watch CSI.

I watched BSG to be entertained. It's the reason why I watch any TV, and BSG entertained. The finale was entertaining and dealt with most plot lines. No matter how they explained how Starbuck came back it wouldn't be rational. She died for frak's sake.

And the whole show revolved around looking for a new home. How crappy would it have been had that not happened?

chestrix

[24]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 3
    yea I'll post here what I posted in another thread:

I was also disappointed with the finale. angels, higher power - it's all too simple and uncreative to me. I know that throughout the series, there's been talk about angels and all, but I wonder when Moore actually decided to make head-6 and head-Baltar real angels. Except for the Kara viper, everything, including the projections, could somehow be explained in a logical manner. Through out the series, they haven't used any super great technology (maybe FTL to get around), and so it is so much to ask for a non-divine, no deus ex machina-tech ending?

ShotgunBlade

[25]Mar 21, 2009
    oz_island wrote:
    But again...it's a science fiction show. The explanations do not have to be rational. They don't even have to make sense. If you want to watch a show that explains everything with logic and rationale watch CSI. I watched BSG to be entertained. It's the reason why I watch any TV, and BSG entertained. The finale was entertaining and dealt with most plot lines. No matter how they explained how Starbuck came back it wouldn't be rational. She died for frak's sake. And the whole show revolved around looking for a new home. How crappy would it have been had that not happened?

It doesn't have to be rational in the scope of science or technology, since the genre of sci-fi gives something of a free pass as far as the advancement of these are concerned (although a level of consistency is still demanded). The plot explanations for the series finale involved neither science nor technology - therefore I fail to see why the genre justifies such a failed ending. A truly entertaining show is one that managed to entertain without sacrificing coherency or logic, which up until this finale, BSG did perfectly. All I asked for was the same level of consistent writing and explanations that had been given up until the finale of the series, and the writers failed to deliver.

oz_island

[26]Mar 21, 2009

ShotgunBlade wrote:
    It doesn't have to be rational in the scope of science or technology, since the genre of sci-fi gives something of a free pass as far as the advancement of these are concerned (although a level of consistency is still demanded). The plot explanations for the series finale involved neither science nor technology - therefore I fail to see why the genre justifies such a failed ending. A truly entertaining show is one that managed to entertain without sacrificing coherency or logic, which up until this finale, BSG did perfectly. All I asked for was the same level of consistent writing and explanations that had been given up until the finale of the series, and the writers failed to deliver.

This is pretty ridiculous...half the show was them trying to fulfill a religious prophecy. More than one person on the the show had unexplainable visions (Roslin, D'Anna, Athena, Six, Baltar)...love being needed to create a child...the four Cylons on Galactica being activated by a Nebula. The four Cylons on Galactica hearing that music. This list goes on and on. BSG has always had more elements to it that just being a science fiction show. It always had things that were illogical.

ShotgunBlade

[27]Mar 21, 2009
    It had things that were unexplained. They only became illogical once we saw the finale and found out "god was behind it all".

oz_island

[28]Mar 21, 2009

ShotgunBlade wrote:
    It had things that were unexplained. They only became illogical once we saw the finale and found out "god was behind it all".

And why is that illogical? Baltar's head Six has been saying it since the first season. She told Baltar on many occasions that he was part of God's plan. When you watch the series as a whole there are so many religious overtones to it, and it's perfectly logical that the finale would have a religious overtone.

ShotgunBlade

[29]Mar 21, 2009
    Illogical was your own description of it. There were very small, vague references that could have been mere misdirection or part of a greater scheme that didn't actually involve a literal higher power simply whisking everything to a neat wrap up...it was hardly an overtone in the show, let alone a lead up to that ending we got.

oz_island

[30]Mar 21, 2009

ShotgunBlade wrote:
    Illogical was your own description of it. There were very small, vague references that could have been mere misdirection or part of a greater scheme that didn't actually involve a literal higher power simply whisking everything to a neat wrap up...it was hardly an overtone in the show, let alone a lead up to that ending we got.

Go back and watch the show. The ending of the show was perfectly logical and rational in the spirit of the show. To me, it seems like you wouldn't have been satisfied with the ending no matter what happened.

ShotgunBlade

[31]Mar 21, 2009
    Again, I am wondering what show you've been watching for the past 4 years if you think that "God was behind it" is in the spirit of the show.

guidryp

[32]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 8
    oz_island wrote:
    And why is that illogical? Baltar's head Six has been saying it since the first season. She told Baltar on many occasions that he was part of God's plan. When you watch the series as a whole there are so many religious overtones to it, and it's perfectly logical that the finale would have a religious overtone.

Because it ceased being Science Fiction, and became fantasy. Science fiction is about introducing some new technology and speculating on the repercussions. Here John Cambells definition, but there are many similar. It is all about having a logical framework.

:
    John W. Campbell, Jr. The major distinction between fantasy and science fiction is, simply, that science fiction uses one, or a very, very few new postulates, and develops the rigidly consistent logical consequences of these limited postulates. Fantasy makes its rules as it goes along...The basic nature of fantasy is "The only rule is, make up a new rule any time you need one!" The basic rule of science fiction is "Set up a basic proposition--then develop its consistent, logical consequences."

When people who enjoy the logical framework of Science Fiction watched BSG, the mystery of Head-Six, Starbucks Return, were very interesting because we were trying to follow or ascertain the rules and get to the logical heart of the mystery.

But in the end the emperor has no clothes, the ultimate bait n switch was pulled. It isn't Science Fiction, it is Fantasy, there is no logical framework or logical answers. God/Super-being did it all. The ultimate cop out. That is a total letdown for those looking for actual resolution.

MetaLuna

[33]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 5

Wow. What show did you guys THINK you were watching? The entire damn series was filled with deliberately unexplainable things. It was filled with mysticism. It was filled with references to God and angels and prophecies and harbingers and seers and visions and "the plan". Seriously, what did you THINK was going to happen? Did you get the mistaken impression that somewhere along the line, the writers would toss in some sort of lengthy explanation like villians give right before they kill the hero? Wow, what kind of show would that have been? If you wanna talk about deus ex machina, writing in an explanation that WASN'T mystic in nature would have been one. There simply was no scientific way to explain half the show's plot!

Okay, take out the mysticism, the religious references, the entire prophecy angle, the "all this will happen again" mantra. What do you have left? A boring, crappy show. Yes, it would have been exceedingly boring. There wouldn't even have been a point. They wouldn't even have been looking for Earth. They wouldn't have gone to Kobol. They wouldn't have gone back to Caprica. Most of Starbuck's, Roslin's and Baltar's storylines would have vanished. Head Six wouldn't have existed. The Cylons wouldn't have had any motivation for reconciling with the humans.

What show did you THINK you were watching? This was always meant to be a show that blurred genre lines.

pumpkinhead2

[34]Mar 21, 2009

I think the fan's of this series need to take their blinkers off and ask themselves whether or not this was a great way to conclude the series.

In my opinion it wasn't.

Any tough questions were simply fobbed off by saying that God did it.

I am sorry but that isn't resolution ... that is just a cop out. It is almost like they invited the writers of "Lost" over to help them with the final episodes.

Edited on 03/21/2009 10:00pm

guidryp

[35]Mar 21, 2009

Sure Head six could have existed. Back when the show was still very good (Season 1|2) and people used to talk about it at work, we speculated whether Baltar was insane or the Cylons did something to him. No one was considering supernatural explanations. Adama would have still searched for Earth. He wasn't a believer, he just used the symbol to keep everyone moving forward.

Realism went out the window in the last two seasons. It has been getting more and more ridiculous and far fetched, so this ending is reflective of what it has become, but it sunk even lower than I was expecting.

But you could have had a good realistic, gritty Science Fiction show, instead of an empty zero explanation Fantasy. But Science Fiction is hard. You have to have plausible reasons for the apparently mysteries, you need to plan ahead.

Fantasy OTOH you can make up as you go along and tie everything up in the end with "God/Supernatural did it". That is why we have so much Fantasy pretending to be Science Fiction (Like Lost), you make up all kinds of crazy madness and then give it some supernatural explanation in the end. It's the easy empty way out.

Edited on 03/21/2009 10:15pm

MajLorne

[36]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 21

Ok, I've been reading these past posts here about those that hated the ending. So I'm going to ask:

How would you have wanted the show to end? It's pretty clear most of you hated the fact it ended on 'earth' and everyone abandoning the ships to revert to 'amish life'. So what are your 'ideas' then if you had things your way?

And I'm not even going to touch upon the Daniel, the angels, or the God topics.

Edited on 03/21/2009 10:15pm

guidryp

[37]Mar 21, 2009
    I wouldn't have had it be Earth (for the second time at that).

I would have had them do the sensible and logical thing and keep their technology and keep Earth an Eden, bypassing the various heavy polluting industrial ages (and plagues/famines/wars). They Skip messing up the planet and have clean green energy from the get go. Then create their own prime directive about creating artificial life that will permeate their society with a strong history of who they are and where they come from and the consequences of those past actions. "Those who don't remember the past are condemned to repeat" makes a heck of lot more sense than chuck everything into the sun and do it all again.

Flash forward to cleaner greener, civilization living more harmoniously with nature.

The only reason the went Amish was to service the desire to end up on our earth. But chucking everything makes no Frakking sense whatsoever.

pumpkinhead2

[38]Mar 21, 2009
    MajLorne wrote:

Ok, I've been reading these past posts here about those that hated the ending. So I'm going to ask:

How would you have wanted the show to end? It's pretty clear most of you hated the fact it ended on 'earth' and everyone abandoning the ships to revert to 'amish life'. So what are your 'ideas' then if you had things your way?

And I'm not even going to touch upon the Daniel, the angels, or the God topics.

Well since your asking. I would have rather had a technobabble answer then the quasi-mystical, supreme being, mumbo jumbo we got. Actually I would have preferred that the writers put in more thought before introducing some of the ambiguous plot lines.

You had the sci-fi staple of a naked singularity just sitting there so why not use it an a link to another almost identical universe. A lot of what happened could have been explained away if there were several parallel universes somehow merging.

Characters moving between universes, mental telepathy, memory transferal ... just about anything other than what they finally come up with.

BSG_fan12

[39]Mar 22, 2009
    • level: 2

WHAT THE fuc* arghhhhh, after watching 4 seasons, this is what i get "GOD", damn the writers and directors should be banned from making anything..

Antiquo

[40]Mar 22, 2009
    • level: 3

I think we shouldn't say the ending was bad. The ending was good. I think the problem is that many were expecting it to be amazing, like I did. The pacing was lazy. They seemed desperate to tie every loose end they had, such as making Hoshi Admiral, or making the lawyer president (where did that character arch come from?). And the most important of all, they finally crossed the line from fiction to fantasy. As a comment above said, Galactica was very particular in the way it blurred the line between mysticism and reason, and it was that which made the series worth watching and made it so enjoyable.

It played with your mind, it made you think about a 'mid point' between reason and myth,it made you wonder if there was a wonderful explanation you hadn't thought of which made everything fall right into place, without killing the superstitious factor, so that even if you had your answer you'd still wonder about a superior force or a divine plan or whatever. And that's what good science fiction is, that's why it carries both names, it's fiction with a hopeful hint of science. BSG always managed to keep a perfect balance between the two, but the finale tipped the scale, and that's what upset many (me).

All in all, it was a good show, it was entertaining, it had action, it had drama, it had science and it had fiction, but maybe not the right amount of each.

But I still like the fact the got to earth. But not the preposterous actions taken afterwards. Oh and the las part with the 'angel' Six and Baltar, kinda makes you wonder about a more intricate plan, something like a hint of science to all that fiction.