Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Series Finale: Major Disappointment

Omnia87

[41]Mar 22, 2009
    • level: 2

Yesterday the moment was finally there for me to watch the show's ending.
    I was, and still consider myself to be, a great fan of Battlestar Galactica.
    Before watching the episode I had wondered for quite some time how they were gonna connect all the threads.
    In my mind there had to be closure on many fronts, and one and a half hour seemed to be a somewhat small frame to work with.
    Still I had trust in the ability of the writers to wrap things up in a way worthy of the past years of my devotion.
    Sadly that trust seems now misplaced.

There are many people here that seem to share a delusion that this finale was in line with the rest of the show.
    Straying from the question of wether or not this is true or not for just a moment, I would like those people to tell me why they were watching the show.
    Why watch a show that (as you so proclaim it to be) was never really working toward a grand explanation, why watch it if you never got the feeling that there must be something more behind the plot lines than just some random events and statements such as 'Kara Thrace is the harbinger of death'.
    Cause if you accept this ending to the show, you accept that all those hints and promises were empty and meaningless.

"The dying leader will know the truth of the opera house..."
    The first question that came up to me during the finale was: "What truth?", why was it important for Roslin to have visions for such a long time about her walking down a hallway following a child in futility? What did that vision try to tell her? That that was going to happen? In no way did it tell her anything useful. If this God had some devine plan in which she was to take part I must've missed it, because her running after Hera had no purpose what so ever.

Kara Thrace is the harbinger of death...
    Probably the biggest let down of the entire show is to find out that Kara's special destiny was nothing more than getting a set of notes from a toddler and using them as coordinates. Why did she have to die before that? Why did she have to go into the maelstrom and blow up, then return. Why did she know where to find (frakked up) Earth? Why was her body there? And how could she suddenly vanish? This implied she was another one of those 'angels'. Very convenient, that way you don't have to explain any of the previously made claims that there was something more going on. NOTHING about this was answered. And if you think that this non-explanation fits the show you've been wasting your time. Like many on this forum I always thought (silly me) that these 'teasings' of a greater scheme would have some sort of meaning. That eventually the puzzle would be complete and you would FEEL something when you found out the 'truth', because that's what good stories do: they leave you feeling something... sadness... shock... joy... anything. But those people now being satisfied with this ending must've been waiting for something meaningful?

What was the grand purpose of Hera? They say humans are unfit to go on like this, but they're perfectly capable of procreating amongst their own kind. The cylons are not but what's the benefit for humans? Clearly the end implies that the cycle of human behavior is not broken, so Hera had absolutely no meaning. If God had some grand plan with them it definitely failed.

The whole thing with Baltar and Caprica was also totally pointless. We're led to believe throughout the entire series that God had some purpose for Baltar. After 4 seasons we find out only that HE HAS TO SURVIVE. He doesn't become some kind of leader, he doesn't raise Hera together with Six, doesn't protect her in anyway. No, they arrive at Earth and the 'angels' let them off the hook, they've done what was necessary. In fact, their acts were so meaningless that even Caprica herself couldn't believe it, asking "and that's it? that's all God wants of us?".

The list goes on and on.

I think many people have the fear that if they denounce the finale, they denounce the show. That if they somehow allow themselves to feel disappointment, they allow themselves to consider watching the past 4 seasons as a waste of time. I would like to assure those people that that doesn't have to be the case. I cried my eyes out during the series finale, even though it left so many questions unanswered in such a disappointing way, it was still painful to let go of these characters. I love the potential for more that this show had. The great storylines that had developed, even though not being finished in the way they deserved, the way we deserved them to be finished. Sadly the memory will now always have a sour aftertaste, that it didn't become what it could've been.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

terabaSe

[42]Mar 22, 2009
    • level: 5

Well, my first post here stimulated by the tragically disappointing ending to the greatest Sci-Fi series and one of the greatest TV-Series we've yet to see.

There's no need to repeat ShotGunBlade & Omnia87's summaries but that's exactly how it left me...

To be honest I'm absolutely stunned they let it happen this way...

Twizster

[43]Mar 22, 2009
    • level: 1
    First part of the episode was good until Kara jumped the ship from there on it was just filler crap. And I completely agree with what ShotGunBlade and Omnia87 are saying.

Prongsters

[44]Mar 22, 2009
    • level: 3

Let's not forget the whole "let's become savages plotline". I even imagine Roslin at a conference:

"After four years of running from cylons, after four years of sitting uncomfortable inside a small ship, after four years of terror, we have a home. Now leave all your belongings and let's live like savages because we aren't meant to be smart."

Everyone stares at her.

"Er...so say we all?"

Edited on 03/22/2009 5:17am

Omnia87

[46]Mar 22, 2009
    • level: 2

Now Ron Moore's weblog makes perfect sense to me. I think the fact that he wanted to have it rescheduled had much more to do with his understanding that this wasn't good enough than with anything else.

http://www.rondmoore.com/Site/Blog/Entries/2009/3/20_.html

Also when I saw the Last Frakkin Special I realised already that if the writer admits he has trouble with the plot of the last episode and finally concludes with 'it's about the characters stupid' (or something similar) that you pretty much know the ending was not predetermined, meaning they inserted stuff all this time without an exit strategy.
    Battlestar Galactica was (next to Lost) one of the only shows that gave me the sense that the story was already worked out before they started off, that they were always working toward a bigger meaning. To see that even with BSG they just made stuff up as they want along was such a terrible reality.

BTW, I think it was last year's comic con where Mary McDonnell said she understood the genius of Ron Moore's work and all that BS, what was that all about? Did she seriously mean that after all this?

Disco_Joe

[47]Mar 22, 2009
    • level: 7
    Agreed. Horrible ending. The show was all buildup without any big picture thinking about how to end it.

guyroy1971

[48]Mar 22, 2009
    • level: 12
    Omnia87 wrote:

Yesterday the moment was finally there for me to watch the show's ending.
    I was, and still consider myself to be, a great fan of Battlestar Galactica.
    Before watching the episode I had wondered for quite some time how they were gonna connect all the threads.
    In my mind there had to be closure on many fronts, and one and a half hour seemed to be a somewhat small frame to work with.
    Still I had trust in the ability of the writers to wrap things up in a way worthy of the past years of my devotion.
    Sadly that trust seems now misplaced.

There are many people here that seem to share a delusion that this finale was in line with the rest of the show.
    Straying from the question of wether or not this is true or not for just a moment, I would like those people to tell me why they were watching the show.
    Why watch a show that (as you so proclaim it to be) was never really working toward a grand explanation, why watch it if you never got the feeling that there must be something more behind the plot lines than just some random events and statements such as 'Kara Thrace is the harbinger of death'.
    Cause if you accept this ending to the show, you accept that all those hints and promises were empty and meaningless.

"The dying leader will know the truth of the opera house..."
    The first question that came up to me during the finale was: "What truth?", why was it important for Roslin to have visions for such a long time about her walking down a hallway following a child in futility? What did that vision try to tell her? That that was going to happen? In no way did it tell her anything useful. If this God had some devine plan in which she was to take part I must've missed it, because her running after Hera had no purpose what so ever.

Kara Thrace is the harbinger of death...
    Probably the biggest let down of the entire show is to find out that Kara's special destiny was nothing more than getting a set of notes from a toddler and using them as coordinates. Why did she have to die before that? Why did she have to go into the maelstrom and blow up, then return. Why did she know where to find (frakked up) Earth? Why was her body there? And how could she suddenly vanish? This implied she was another one of those 'angels'. Very convenient, that way you don't have to explain any of the previously made claims that there was something more going on. NOTHING about this was answered. And if you think that this non-explanation fits the show you've been wasting your time. Like many on this forum I always thought (silly me) that these 'teasings' of a greater scheme would have some sort of meaning. That eventually the puzzle would be complete and you would FEEL something when you found out the 'truth', because that's what good stories do: they leave you feeling something... sadness... shock... joy... anything. But those people now being satisfied with this ending must've been waiting for something meaningful?

What was the grand purpose of Hera? They say humans are unfit to go on like this, but they're perfectly capable of procreating amongst their own kind. The cylons are not but what's the benefit for humans? Clearly the end implies that the cycle of human behavior is not broken, so Hera had absolutely no meaning. If God had some grand plan with them it definitely failed.

The whole thing with Baltar and Caprica was also totally pointless. We're led to believe throughout the entire series that God had some purpose for Baltar. After 4 seasons we find out only that HE HAS TO SURVIVE. He doesn't become some kind of leader, he doesn't raise Hera together with Six, doesn't protect her in anyway. No, they arrive at Earth and the 'angels' let them off the hook, they've done what was necessary. In fact, their acts were so meaningless that even Caprica herself couldn't believe it, asking "and that's it? that's all God wants of us?".

The list goes on and on.

I think many people have the fear that if they denounce the finale, they denounce the show. That if they somehow allow themselves to feel disappointment, they allow themselves to consider watching the past 4 seasons as a waste of time. I would like to assure those people that that doesn't have to be the case. I cried my eyes out during the series finale, even though it left so many questions unanswered in such a disappointing way, it was still painful to let go of these characters. I love the potential for more that this show had. The great storylines that had developed, even though not being finished in the way they deserved, the way we deserved them to be finished. Sadly the memory will now always have a sour aftertaste, that it didn't become what it could've been.

Well it depends on how you look at it. The Cavil faction and the evil cylons were all killed in the end and the colony was destroyed. Hera was their only chance to avoid extiction, which is why she was so important to them. I saw the opera house metaphor as setting up the big moment when Cavil takes her prisoner and the final five offer resurrection to them. She was important in that she was the crux of the final battle in that the cylons needed her badly and the humans and good cylons knew if Cavil succeeded the would go on and they would never be safe. She also turned out to be the eve of a new humanity. Kara did indeed lead them to their end..on earth. She was a harbinger of death to the evil cylons. The hybrid knew she was supernatual and would save the humans while they would die. That's my intrepretation anyway.

About Baltar, I agree that it was implied he had some big role with God's plan. It turned out it was about changing himself and healing himself. He was racked with guilt about his part in the holocaust and angel six helped him heal himself and in the end he had redemption. This was highlighted when they were watching the primitives and Adama makes a joke and says he has no sense of humor. He was finally forgiven by everyone, including Lee, when he stayed and fought on Galactica. Moreover, he finally deserved to be forgiven and six is finally proud of him and they can be together. He changed and owned up to his responsibility for what he did and became a better person. That was god's plan for him.

Yes, there were some ploy holes and I too didn't agree with Adama leaving his son for good . Why? The only explanation I can come up with is like Tyrol, they are all tired and just want to rest. He wanted to spend his final years building the cabin he wanted to live in with Laura.

Is it saitisifying for everyone, probably not. It was for me. Would everyone give up technology in real life, probably not, but it made sense for them in that it brought nothing but suffering to them. People assume they would create it anyway, and they did 150000 years later, but 150000 certainly breaks the 2000 year cycle of death they had before. They were not worried about 150000 from now, only that the cycle would end in the now for them. There is no gurauntee we will create cylons, but the end showed we could be on that path, so it was a kind of a cute warning with Head Six and Head Baltar talking about whether the cycle is truly broken.

Therefore, I don't get all the talk about nothing making sense. In your point of view, maybe not, but in the point of view I gave, everything made sense, maybe not perfect sence, but it made sense.

ShotgunBlade

[49]Mar 22, 2009
    • level: 7
    I think a show's ending has failed when people need to twist around their interpretations to fit with the ending in order for everything to seem consistent.

guidryp

[50]Mar 22, 2009
    • level: 8
    Apparently to end the Cylon risk all they needed to do was send in a lone raptor with all those super nukes (that nuked the colony at the end) they must have been hiding till now. Problem solved. Adama and Galen didn't just get away from people, they are committing suicide by isolation. No way can they survive on their own. So this is utter nonsense.

Giving up technology is the most ridiculous and again, pretty much suicide. If that is the brilliant plan for "breaking the cycle" then they need not have run. Just let the Cylons wipe them out, problem solved. This is boneheaded from every angle. A: It is suicide and B: it doesn't break the cycle, it repeats it. "Those who don't remember the mistakes of the past, are condemned to repeat them" is very appropriate.

IMO this just continues the escalating grandiose pretentious direction the series took beginning with "New Caprica". A direction that always put grandiose ideas ahead of believable, sensible character actions.

MetaLuna

[51]Mar 22, 2009
    • level: 5

Being satisfied with this ending doesn't mean you're lying to yourself. It just means you accept that not everything in art has a plush explanation.

I have a question - when Kara Thrace emerged out of nowhere, completely intact with a brand-spankin' new ship, apparently completely unharmed despite being crushed in a wormhole of which she'd had visions since a child but with no memory of what happened and her charred, rotting body on Earth... what did you true believers THINK was the explanation? Were you assuming there was some resurrection ship near Earth that was regenerating not only humans with no Cylon basis, but their ships as well? And thousands of light years from where you died, to boot. And how'd she get back to the ships, which had moved substantially since she left, with no memory of how she did? Be real here. WAS there an explanation that didn't involve supernatural forces?

You were suspending disbelief as it is. The entire concept of resurrection is ridiculous. Yes, you could theoretically replicate someone's entire brain, complete with memories, IF you had a solid scan of the entire brain before death. But "downloading" into a new body, prepared with your memories up to the moment of death already intact in a body that was created long before you even died...? That's retarded. Unless, of course, one of two things happens - A. your current body constantly uploads a stream of data via some wireless chip AND your new body had an active harddrive of some sort to store all the new memories you were making up until your actual death (not bloody likely, since Cylon bodies are supposed to be indistinguishable from humans and such a chip/drive would seem pretty clear since human brains are far more plastic and indirect than that) or B. you take it on faith, and don't think too hard about it (more likely since so many Americans believe in souls anyway).

The original series had the ships of light, and Starbuck being resurrected and leading the humans to Earth. It was part of the original show. All RDM did was incorporate it into the plot for the new show.

We live in a country where 2/3 of the people don't believe in evolution, and you guys are whining about the usage of the term "God" in a TV show? Move on! There are other things far more worth your time!

my1sunshine

[52]Mar 22, 2009
    MetaLuna wrote:

Being satisfied with this ending doesn't mean you're lying to yourself. It just means you accept that not everything in art has a plush explanation.

I have a question - when Kara Thrace emerged out of nowhere, completely intact with a brand-spankin' new ship, apparently completely unharmed despite being crushed in a wormhole of which she'd had visions since a child but with no memory of what happened and her charred, rotting body on Earth... what did you true believers THINK was the explanation? Were you assuming there was some resurrection ship near Earth that was regenerating not only humans with no Cylon basis, but their ships as well? And thousands of light years from where you died, to boot. And how'd she get back to the ships, which had moved substantially since she left, with no memory of how she did? Be real here. WAS there an explanation that didn't involve supernatural forces?

You were suspending disbelief as it is. The entire concept of resurrection is ridiculous. Yes, you could theoretically replicate someone's entire brain, complete with memories, IF you had a solid scan of the entire brain before death. But "downloading" into a new body, prepared with your memories up to the moment of death already intact in a body that was created long before you even died...? That's retarded. Unless, of course, one of two things happens - A. your current body constantly uploads a stream of data via some wireless chip AND your new body had an active harddrive of some sort to store all the new memories you were making up until your actual death (not bloody likely, since Cylon bodies are supposed to be indistinguishable from humans and such a chip/drive would seem pretty clear since human brains are far more plastic and indirect than that) or B. you take it on faith, and don't think too hard about it (more likely since so many Americans believe in souls anyway).

The original series had the ships of light, and Starbuck being resurrected and leading the humans to Earth. It was part of the original show. All RDM did was incorporate it into the plot for the new show.

We live in a country where 2/3 of the people don't believe in evolution, and you guys are whining about the usage of the term "God" in a TV show? Move on! There are other things far more worth your time!

Thank you, MetaLuna. I couldn't wait to get on this board this weekend, I was even looking forward to debating the expected negative opinions. But there is a major overflow of negative trying to beat back the positive. I'm so sick of seeing the only argument being.. "No, you're wrong.. I'm right. It sucks because God did it all. " Over and over and over and over.

And wittness we have not only one, but four threads with this going on, and that's not counting the main review for the episode, and the one thread clearly aimed to be positive. And a lot of posters have said they clearly stayed away from here for a while, and have now come back. For what?

When carried to this frequency, none of it promotes the constructive debates and discussions that used to appear on this forum.

Sorry, but this is rediculous. You guys have made your point, and everyone's entitled.

But there's NO REASON to take over the majority of the forum.

enervator

[53]Mar 22, 2009
    • level: 38
    ShotgunBlade wrote:
    I agree with a lot of the stuff you guys are adding. I think an excellent point is that people have been watching this show for so long and loving it (and naturally so, it was an awesome show) that in their minds, they don't want to accept a horrible ending...they would rather tell themselves the ending was perfect and ideal so the entire experience of the show seems perfect in their minds, rather than being honest about its evaluation.

Wow, so it's really that simple, is it? Your opinion is the correct one, and anyone who disagrees is being delusional? Wow.

I've watched plenty of shows, and have had no problem judging their finales to be lacking, or in some cases pure garbage, when it seemed appropriate. I don't claim that this ending was perfect, and yes it left questions and also left me wanting more, but I still very much enjoyed it. Apparently that makes me ignorant.

guidryp

[54]Mar 22, 2009
    • level: 8
    my1sunshine wrote:
    Thank you, MetaLuna. I couldn't wait to get on this board this weekend, I was even looking forward to debating the expected negative opinions. But there is a major overflow of negative trying to beat back the positive. I'm so sick of seeing the only argument being.. "No, you're wrong.. I'm right. It sucks because God did it all. " Over and over and over and over.

And wittness we have not only one, but four threads with this going on, and that's not counting the main review for the episode, and the one thread clearly aimed to be positive. And a lot of posters have said they clearly stayed away from here for a while, and have now come back. For what?

When carried to this frequency, none of it promotes the constructive debates and discussions that used to appear on this forum.

Sorry, but this is rediculous. You guys have made your point, and everyone's entitled.

But there's NO REASON to take over the majority of the forum.

Maybe it's because people really hate that? But read my last two posts in this thread. Nothing about that. I have plenty of other complaints with the lame finale (and the whole last two seasons).

It jumped the shark and became surreal and ridiculous around "New Caprica". Since then the writers have made the character behave in nonsensical ways to service the big artsy plot element of the week. Realism be damned. The finale provided the perfect example of that.

They wanted to end with a shot on modern day earth commenting no the cycle repeating. So to do that, they had to get rid of all technology, so into the sun it goes. Probably the most insane nonsensical act of the entire series.

my1sunshine

[55]Mar 22, 2009
    No, whatever. It's cool. You guys have your thread. I'm outta this one.

123home123

[56]Mar 22, 2009
    • level: 55
    I'm locking this thread. It has become an attack thread on fans of the show. If you don't like the show, then don't watch it. But don't try to take down the forum for the show in an attempt to prevent people from discussing it without having to defend themselves against "charges" of self-delusion. I mean, what is this? A Grand Inquisition? If we don't pass our opinions past some of you for our approval, it is not acceptable? Wow, that's pretty totalitarian.

If you feel the absolute need to continue ranting about people who enjoyed the episode, then please continue on your blogs. But keep in mind, that no part of TV.com is supposed to serve as a platform to attack other users or even anyone affiliated with the show. (Yes, some of the detractors have started issuing threats of violence against the writers.) This is trolling, plain and simple. Even worse, some of the comments (since deleted by me) are close to being criminal statements. Threats of violence are NEVER acceptable. Stop it now.
    Edited on 03/22/2009 6:13pm
    Edited 2 total times.