Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Ship of Light (spoilers)

Would you find it neat if we saw the Ship of Light in the new BSG series?

Jammet

[1]May 29, 2008
    • level: 10

Do you believe/hope/think that we will see the acual Ship of Light again (from classic BSG) in the new series?

To clarify: Do you remember Starbuck returning back to the Galactica in a pure white Viper with all her memories blanked of how it came to be, but somehow knowing earths position? It's happened. Only we haven't seen the actual Ship of Light at all, yet.

The same thing happened in the classic series at some point.

Edited on 06/14/2008 6:46am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Celestra9

[2]May 29, 2008
    • level: 16
    Honestly I thought the Ship Of Light sucked in the Original Series.

Jammet

[3]May 29, 2008
    Because of the somewhat awkward setting, exterior, interior or bad acting? I loved the whole idea, but the way it's been done certainly could've been *way* better.

Galactigator

[4]Jun 1, 2008
    • level: 1
    Yep, bring on the ship of light, but make it a third alien race.

Then the cylons and humans would have to unite to protect earth against the bigger bad guys.

Then we can see lots of stuff gettin' blown up.

Yeeha!!

h00plah

[5]Jun 4, 2008
    I have no idea about what you guys are talking about. I never watched the original series. What exactly is the ship of light?

And, honestly: I don't think there's room for another ship in the fleet, it would be out of nowhere and wouldn't really do anything positive towards the show. It will end up as another Pegasus, or a ship you'll see once, and then never again. Remember, That's just my opinion, possibly not even a valid one, but oh well.

123home123

[6]Jun 4, 2008
    • level: 55
    The Ship of Light was some sort of mystical vessel populated with god-like beings (I think). It really would be out of place in the modern BSG series, although there may be some analogue to it. It's a bit too "sci-fi" for this series, in the sense that it departs from the sharp focus on human foibles and the battle between humans and their own creations, the Cylons.

People bring it up a lot because of the way Kara came back last season.

MichaudMR

[7]Jun 5, 2008
    • level: 17

I agree that the Ship of Light in its original form would be totally out of place, but then again, this is BSG (2003) and I'm sure their version of it would be made to work.

Back in the '70's when we were all "getting in touch with ourselves" there were a bunch of theories floating around about the origins of humanity and civilization. One of which was the idea that we were decendants from a race of hyper advanced space fairing beings. They seeded Earth with us, built the Pyramids, established our mythology, and left us to mature on our own with the intention of returning some day to rejoin us. The book "Chariots of The Gods" could be seen as influential in the premise of the original BSG.

Some religious belief systems include heaven as a physical place out in space somewhere populated by people who have risen to a higher level of existence (expressed as the Ship of Light by the original BSG). The idea that people from a highly advanced civilization could be seen as gods to those more primitive to them is not a new one. I could see BSG (2003) using a similar device to explain how the more advanced Cylons came into being, and where Starbuck went to during her absence, but it would have to be handled very differently than the original.

MrBovineOrdure

[8]Jun 5, 2008
    • level: 6

In the old series, the ship of light was literally the meaning of dues ex machina. Though commonly practiced by ancient Greek theater, it became a sign of very poor writing to get your characters in so much trouble that you require a god to wave the magic wand/scepter to get your heroes out of a jam. (Besides, that seems more in the realm of fantasy than Sci-fi)

In this series, you could say there is an analog given that there were people once considered Gods that lived with humans on Kobol. It's not a stretch to think that they're still around and have a hand in bringing Starbuck back, and as I always thought, be the first group of people to make the original 5 Cylon skinjobs. The head-baltar and head-six and projection that we see is a "Communications" device available to those that are Cylons or been injected with Cylon blood.

So in a sense there could be a ship of light in this series. Perhaps not exactly the tall, glowy, out of focus, angel-voices in the background kind of ship, but one containing just the very advanced people who were taken as Gods on Kobol.

Mr BO

Edited on 06/05/2008 5:07am
    Edited 3 total times.

123home123

[9]Jun 5, 2008
    A thought just occurred to me -- what if the boat we saw in "Faith" is the analogue for the Ship of Light? There was a mystical, surreal quality to that boat. Like the Ship of Light, that boat was associated with the journey between life and death, and possible rebirth. When the boat was shown, it was always sunny outside. The boat represents optimism, happiness and reunion with loved ones, things associated with the concept of Light and the Ship of Light..
    Edited on 06/05/2008 8:36am

tripping82

[10]Jun 5, 2008
    • level: 14
    Thats a good point Home. The Ship of Lights, referring to a space ship, is too Scifi. Now, if the Ship of Lights refers to a boat - that seems to be a little more mysterious and would definately fit in the BSG universe.

MrBovineOrdure

[11]Jun 5, 2008

But if the price to be on that boat is death or being close to death, I don't think too many folks would be eager to take that jaunt.... (Well, nobody likes a crowded ferry)

Your right though, the blue color of the deck was pretty surreal.

I wonder if Deanna made it on that boat each time she was killing herself to ressurect? You'd think the captain of that boat would finally approach her and ask; "What, YOU AGAIN?"

Mr BO

Edited on 06/05/2008 10:04am
    Edited 2 total times.

tripping82

[12]Jun 5, 2008
    • level: 14

MrBovineOrdure wrote:
    I wonder if Deanna made it on that boat each time she was killing herself to ressurect? You'd think the captain of that boat would finally approach her and ask; "What, YOU AGAIN?"

LOL. He kept throwing her over the side. Sorry...boats full.

Hoeech

[13]Jun 6, 2008
    • level: 66
    123home123 wrote:
    The Ship of Light was some sort of mystical vessel populated with god-like beings (I think). It really would be out of place in the modern BSG series, although there may be some analogue to it. It's a bit too "sci-fi" for this series, in the sense that it departs from the sharp focus on human foibles and the battle between humans and their own creations, the Cylons.

Please allow me to further qualify this sentiment by saying the Ship Of Light would be HIDEOUSLY out of place in the modern BSG. To bring the "Angelic Race" aboard that ship into play would mean Count Iblis would have to be brought in as a foil. Since the Count (a.k.a. Mephistopheles; The Prince of Darkness; etc.) was also the template for the old Cylon Imperious Leader (Patrick MacNee played both the IL's voice and Iblis and Baltar recognized it as such), it would blow the current show's origin of the Cylons as being a human creation gone naughty.

MichaudMR

[14]Jun 7, 2008
    • level: 17

The metaphorical ship used to transport the dead into their afterlife just doesn't seem to fit with the concept of a physical ship carrying some kind of hyper advanced race of beings who had set the whole thing into motion and are somehow watching/controlling the events as they unfold.

I tend to agree that the producers of the original BSG had written themselves into a corner to the point where they needed to hit the 'ol reset button, but still maintain it is possible to delve into the common origins of both humans and cylons and how it all came to be. It is also possible that the story will follow along the lines of having some sort of a physical manifestation of a higher power or more advanced entity, but I'm sure it won't be anything like the original BSG.

The preview of next weeks episode gave us a hint that they might be giving us some answers to this question

***SPOILER***

my1sunshine

[15]Jun 9, 2008
    • level: 12
    This brings up a good oportunity to revise an old point I made on another thread which was largly ignored. Has anybody else noticed the similarity between the "entities" on the Ship of Light in BSG78, to the visions of the hooded Final Five? It may mean nothing, but the visualizations are incredibly similar. Hmmm.

Hungry_Homer111

[16]Jun 9, 2008
    • level: 26
    123home123 wrote:

I half agree with this. The idea of the light ship, as it was on the original BSG, would be way too out of place for this show. However, I could see it being on the show in a different form, which would be more fitting for the new show. Have the scenes be more of a psychological scene. I'm not sure how else to describe it. But the new BSG has had some very "psychological" scenes, which were almost dream-like. I could see scenes in a bright place, with echo-y voices representing the God-like creatures. I could see a story where Gaius is near death, or has died, and it's similar to the scene in the original where Starbuck was killed, and they bring him back to life. But this time have it less straight-forward, and maybe even let him remain dead, or remain with the God-like people...

That doesn't really sound as good as I imagine it could be, but either way, I'm not too sure if I'd want to have it in the show or not. Even with a more psychological version of it, the ship might not fit into the direction that the show is going, and may still seem out of place. If they could bring it in without it seeming out of place, then I'd be interested in how it fits into the show. Maybe if they were making a fith season they could do so more easily. But right now, I'm just happy to see where the show is heading. Let the writers do what they want.

123home123

[17]Jun 10, 2008
    You sort of described the boat in Roslin's death vision from the "Faith" episode. I think that boat may have been the modern BSG's take on the Ship of Light. More subtle and less deus ex machina while it fits in with the spirituality we've seen this season, and throughout the entire run of the series. Maybe all of the "Head" people (Head Six, Head Baltar, Head Elosha, Head Leoben, etc.) are related to the new version of the Ship of Light and the related concepts.

copygeek

[18]Jun 10, 2008
    • level: 13

123home123 wrote:
    You sort of described the boat in Roslin's death vision from the "Faith" episode. I think that boat may have been the modern BSG's take on the Ship of Light. More subtle and less deus ex machina while it fits in with the spirituality we've seen this season, and throughout the entire run of the series. Maybe all of the "Head" people (Head Six, Head Baltar, Head Elosha, Head Leoben, etc.) are related to the new version of the Ship of Light and the related concepts.

Not to get off topic, but I don't think Elosha or Leoben technically qualify as "Head" people. The reason I say that is that while we HAVE seen Baltar have visions of Head Six back at his house on Caprica the majority of his experiences with Head Six have been "in the moment" (since he has had conversations with her in a crowded room) and she has been giving him guidance or instructions for how to deal with the situation at hand. Leoben and Elosha, by comparison, have only appeared in the context of allowing their "real" counterparts to see the past or the future. I know there was that brief scene of Roslin and Elosha sitting by the Hybrid, but I don't think that was meant to be an "in the moment" situation.

MrBovineOrdure

[19]Jun 10, 2008

Hmm, time to collect what we know in one neat spot.

Baltar - Sees a six in his head. Had visions of the opera house very early on Kobol. Also sees a Baltar.

Caprica Six - Has a Baltar in her head. Shared vision of the opera house

Saul - Sees Visions of Ellen

Rosalyn - Visions of the Opera House. Sees Elosha during jumps

Deanna - Sees the final five between her own death and resurrection. (I wonder if she had the same experience while being deactivated/boxed? In that event, she should have had plenty of time to hob-nob with the final 5!)

Sharon - Visions of the opera house. Also uncontrolled projections of the Opera House.

Kara - Visions of Leoben and her own past.

All 7 Cylons - Capable of projections

That last one is what makes me think it's all related and somehow a talent given by one of the Kobol Gods. The seven cylons are able to by will see what is not present. They can also download memories of other cylons whenever they visit last. Somehow the Gods are able to give this talent (in a random ways) to selected humans. (Someone, either Baltar, Rosalyn or Kara is a human. By the final reckoning, all three can't be Cylons)

I always thought it might have been through an exchange of blood. (Not Sex as I once thought because Helo hasn't had any projection experiences). Baltar when he stood behind Caprica Six was probably sprayed by her blood during the explosion. Rosaln with her injection of Hera's blood, Kara when she was experimented on at the Caprican hospital.

It doesn't have to be that though, but I can't help think all these things are related. Sounds like a god's (technically advanced person's) work to me!

It looks more and more like the Cylons are *REALLY* close to being human. Though the 7 can't reproduce among themselves, they're stronger, can communicate electronically, upload, download and command through touch alone, resurrect, have access to a computer-like brain, and they can see what they want. They seem to be Humans-Plus V2. (The final 5 being V1) Perhaps one of the Kobol gods made them by tinkering with regular humans. The other Kobol gods thought this was an abomination and started the war on Kobol

Mr BO

Edited on 06/10/2008 11:28am
    Edited 4 total times.