Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Shouldn't there be 13 Cylon Models?

LondonAngel

[1]Jun 20, 2008
    • level: 6

If the show is following the rules as it has laid out, shouldn't there be 13 Cylon Models because there are 13 Tribes of Man/Colony's. Remember EARTH is the 13 Colony.....

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

misterwobbley

[2]Jun 20, 2008
    • level: 1
    LondonAngel wrote:

If the show is following the rules as it has laid out, shouldn't there be 13 Cylon Models because there are 13 Tribes of Man/Colony's. Remember EARTH is the 13 Colony.....

I don't think there's been anything said in the series that says the Cylon models represent the colonies. After all there were 12 Lords of Kobol.

WuKeSong

[3]Jun 20, 2008
    • level: 3
    Well, in that case you could count Kobol and say there should be 14 cylons... I don't think it's relevant.

ophee

[4]Jun 26, 2008
    • level: 2
    I agree with LondonAngel - I've always thought there should be a 13th Cyclon to represent the tribe that went to Earth, and I imagine that Cylcon is the Cylon God.

ISpeakTheTruth

[5]Jun 26, 2008
    • level: 33
    Well there is going to be a 13th model... Tigh and Caprica six's child is 100$% Cylon and therefore a new model.

weirdaaron

[6]Jun 26, 2008
    • level: 3
    ISpeakTheTruth wrote:
    Well there is going to be a 13th model... Tigh and Caprica six's child is 100$% Cylon and therefore a new model.

Actually cylons can't reproduce (together), so that means Tigh isn't the same kind of cylon as Caprica six. Therefore the baby won't be 100% cylon. It will most likely be another hybrid, or something different.

ISpeakTheTruth

[7]Jun 26, 2008
    A cylon is a cylon... Tigh is as much of a cylon as six is he's just slightly different but he is a cylon.

123home123

[8]Jun 26, 2008
    • level: 55
    Tigh is much different. He ages. He loses his hair. There only appears to be a single copy of him. We don't know if the Final Five can resurrect.

The other humanoid Cylons don't age and they don't lose their hair.

ISpeakTheTruth

[9]Jun 27, 2008
    We don't know if the other Cylons age or not. We know that all the ones that we've seen all look the same but looking the same could give about a 5-8 year window before they start to look noticibly different. Its not like the Fleet has had a lot of time to look at skin jobs to see if they age. Its like Tigh said when Adama said that he'd never heard of a Cylon aging or lossing hair "Doesn't mean that they don't"

And D'anna can't resurrect to a new body (Because all her bodies have died) does that make her less or a different Cylon? No

eater11

[10]Jul 2, 2008
    • level: 18

D'anna can't resurrect because she was boxed not because all her bodies have died their are plenty more bodies. That also has no relevance even if it did make sense.

The final five don't have the ability to resurrect whatsoever, and I am pretty sure they don't age because as you said Adama had never heard of a Cylon aging doesn't that mean that Number 8 (sharon) doesn't age and people like Starbuck have known her since fight academy which would have at least been 5 years ago.

Also I think the skinjobs have been around for sometime because if the final five were built after the significant seven that means they would be around just after the first war. If that is so how come the other cylons Tigh and Adama's age.

Edited on 07/02/2008 3:23am

thanoscopter

[11]Jul 2, 2008
    • level: 4
    Well i had read that Mr. Moore said that the final five were not numbered models. If that is true we have the others as 1-6 then 8 leaving the last member of the final five and the elusive #7 making 13. We shall see i guess.

Bionetic

[12]Jul 3, 2008
    • level: 8

thanoscopter wrote:
    Well i had read that Mr. Moore said that the final five were not numbered models. If that is true we have the others as 1-6 then 8 leaving the last member of the final five and the elusive #7 making 13. We shall see i guess.

I agree. In fact I think the series is going to throw a curve ball and we aren't gonna see one, but two new remaining Cylons.

Honestly though, I think the Cylon is in the software not the hardware. The reason they can't find a difference between humans and cylons, because there isn't a difference. The difference between the seven comes from the fact that their advanced cylon clones. I don't think Tory, Tigh, Samuel, and Galen are Cylons. I think there humans, possessed by Cylons. And who's possessing them, the final 4 of 5 - Cylons in the form of software.

thanoscopter

[13]Jul 3, 2008
    • level: 4
    I refuse to believe that they are possessed. But I agree with Bionetic that there isn't a difference between cylon and human I think thats kind of the point. I also think the 5 predate the first cylon war. All this has happened before and all this will happen again has been repeated many time throughout the show and that mantra will probably play heavy in the last half of season 4. Man i can't wait to see how this plays out best show i have seen in a very long time. the waiting is already killing me.

aloyoon

[14]Jul 5, 2008
    • level: 7
    ISpeakTheTruth wrote:
    A cylon is a cylon... Tigh is as much of a cylon as six is he's just slightly different but he is a cylon.

he could be half human also we actually have no idea what the final five are.. are they good or evil or what ??

edmorita

[15]Jul 5, 2008
    • level: 22
    From the moment Kara re-appeared, I always thought that her fighter was a cylon. I think that maybe somehow her fighter and the cylon raider she was following were merged when she entered the wormhole, whatever it was. Hence a new cylon was created. If Kara is NOT a cylon, then it makes sense that her fighter is, which fulfills the prophecy that one of the five have been to earth. Kara's fighter had been to earth, and it was the signal in the fighter that eventually lead them to earth.
    Edited on 07/05/2008 2:29pm

kanniballl

[16]Jul 16, 2008
    • level: 18
    Bionetic wrote:

Honestly though, I think the Cylon is in the software not the hardware. The reason they can't find a difference between humans and cylons, because there isn't a difference. The difference between the seven comes from the fact that their advanced cylon clones. I don't think Tory, Tigh, Samuel, and Galen are Cylons. I think there humans, possessed by Cylons. And who's possessing them, the final 4 of 5 - Cylons in the form of software.

The problem w/ the software theory is that we know some physical differences of Cylons that I doubt can be explained by "powers of the mind" unless they make some wild statements. Granted I'm not a scientist or anything, but I doubt concentration can do too much with:

• More resistant to ordinary radiation.
      • Back on Caprica she didn't need anti-rad stims (or maybe not as many).
    • Highly susceptible to a specific type of radiation
      • Like in the Pilot.
    • Physically stronger when they want to be.
      • Granted maybe it's just an Andrenaline thing they can control.
    • Interfacing with a fiber optic cable tocontrol the jump drive.
      • I could maybe believe copper cable, with them controlling the electrical impulses in their nerves. But how do they generate light at a specific wavelength inside an arm?

And this is ignoring artistic license things like glowing backs.

Then again it's possible the truly "Cylon" part is the conciousness, and that they just grew 12 highly evolved humans with physical enhancements to serve as elaborate vessels for them to inhabit.

My guess is the bodies of he 7 are basically human, but amped up w/ possibly new features, and that the fleet simply didn't have the equipment on hand or expertise to tell the difference between them and human.

The Final 5 though, no diea. Maybe they placed themselves in normal humans? Maybe they uploaded into new super bodies? Maybe they were effectively immortal and only chose to start aging some years/decades ago to start the process over? etc

I guess we'l find out next year.

Edited on 07/16/2008 10:51am
    Edited 3 total times.

InternalSync

[17]Jul 18, 2008
    I dont buy the software theory either. I think the final five are actually older models, and as such they dont have the advanced abilities of the new models.

Oxiegen

[18]Jul 18, 2008
    • level: 1
    thanoscopter wrote:

I'd just like to point out, in case it was overlooked, that there is not really a model 8.
    This is actually Boomer, who made a decision to go against her own model-line and therefore called so by model 1.
    So there is not 13 models, only the original 12.

By the way, who is number 7?

Bionetic

[19]Jul 18, 2008
    kanniballl wrote:
    Bionetic wrote:

The problem w/ the software theory is that we know some physical differences of Cylons that I doubt can be explained by "powers of the mind" unless they make some wild statements. Granted I'm not a scientist or anything, but I doubt concentration can do too much with:

• More resistant to ordinary radiation.
      • Back on Caprica she didn't need anti-rad stims (or maybe not as many).
    • Highly susceptible to a specific type of radiation
      • Like in the Pilot.
    • Physically stronger when they want to be.
      • Granted maybe it's just an Andrenaline thing they can control.
    • Interfacing with a fiber optic cable tocontrol the jump drive.
      • I could maybe believe copper cable, with them controlling the electrical impulses in their nerves. But how do they generate light at a specific wavelength inside an arm?

And this is ignoring artistic license things like glowing backs.

Then again it's possible the truly "Cylon" part is the conciousness, and that they just grew 12 highly evolved humans with physical enhancements to serve as elaborate vessels for them to inhabit.

My guess is the bodies of he 7 are basically human, but amped up w/ possibly new features, and that the fleet simply didn't have the equipment on hand or expertise to tell the difference between them and human.

The Final 5 though, no diea. Maybe they placed themselves in normal humans? Maybe they uploaded into new super bodies? Maybe they were effectively immortal and only chose to start aging some years/decades ago to start the process over? etc

I guess we'll find out next year.

Actually, the explanation was meant to explain the origin of the final five. We know the Cylons know how to transfer consciousness over long distances and store them. We also know they have an advanced understanding of human physiology. It's possible that they also know how to transfer and store consciousness into human beings as well. I think this concept can also be applied to the seven model Cylons as well. I think the software in the seven model cylons are also the root of the cylons, but the difference is these cylons inhabit synthetic human bodies. These bodies are human, but they are possibly genetically enhanced within tolerable concealable levels. I mean Cylons manufacture their own bodies, so it not so unlikely that they would enhance these bodies within reasonable "human" level. Resistance to radiation, strength, could all be inbred through genetic enhancement. But I also think the powers of the mind also contributes; not entirely, but partially. And the interfacing with the jump drive thing, whose to say you can't connect a full fledged human being to that thing as well?

This idea would also coincide with the theme of spirituality revolving around the show. Thus it would illustrate the theme of how it's the soul, not the body that is important.

InternalSync

[20]Jul 18, 2008
    Well, advanced body features aside, what's really the difference between a Cylon software/soul/essence and that of a human? Nothing?