Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Small details about one of Moore's alternate endings

ShotgunBlade

[1]Mar 24, 2009
    • level: 7

http://io9.com/5180872/the-battlestar-galactica-finale-you-didnt-see

Not sure if this would have affected the final outcome of the show, just seems to be an alternate setup to them getting there.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

martymcflyjb

[2]Mar 25, 2009
    • level: 10
    I much prefer the ending we got over that alternate idea. I think most would agree, given the backlash against "Deadlock", which is kind of a version of that concept.

AegisAtreyu

[3]Mar 28, 2009
    • level: 17
    I think it would have been more heartbreaking for Tigh if they'd gone down that route. The end of 'Sometimes a great notion' felt to me like there was a purpose to Ellen and Saul being Cylon's together, and that they would play on the love between them more. It was sort of a romanticised reason for them to travel the stars and added depth to their characters. This was not played on nearly enough during the final episodes and now I can see why. However, I would say that pitting Ellen against Saul like that for reasons of jealousy would have felt wrong. It would have felt hackneyed in some ways.

martymcflyjb wrote:
    I much prefer the ending we got over that alternate idea. I think most would agree, given the backlash against "Deadlock", which is kind of a version of that concept.

'Deadlock' didn't work fantastically well in my opinion either but mostly because Ellen who in 'No Exit' seemed above stuff like that suddenly regresses. It wasn't as grandiose as it could have been like originally planned, this was obviously a left over thread from the original idea they needed to resolve as they'd got Caprica preggers.

Bionetic

[4]Apr 2, 2009
    • level: 8
    I agree, while I'm not partial to the current BSG ending as is, I think the alternate ending would have been much worse. I loved the more motherly matriarchal Ellen we saw when she first resurrected. I would have wanted to see more of that side of her instead. I just wish her character played a more significant role in the ending of the series. I had high hopes for the coveted fifth Cylon. I also wish they didn't end Boomer's relationship with Tyrol so bitterly. That's another romance I wanted to see end on a better note.

connierc

[5]Apr 10, 2009
    • level: 4
    At least I can NOW show that the Writer's Strike DID impact far more shows that both my DH and I love - and were destroyed due to it (and, being a SAG member, I agree with the strike, tho not the outcome, sadly... still didn't get what was needed in terms of DVD and online use rights...) -- BUT -- it DOES settle MANY a disagreement between my other half and I about which shows got the SHAFT, which he thinks is all in my head. ON TOPIC: RDM has made a mess of many shows, and their endings, and I am never surprised when things are not as I "want" them to be when he is involved. During DS9, another fantastic program with many theological aspects (which had many people turned off DUE to those aspects), the ending was also "too rushed and not fulfilling" - IMHO - as it could have been. BSG is GR8. Love the show. Have already bought all but last ten eps. on DVD. AM GLAD did NOT go with "evil Ellen" premise, Saul would have been destroyed, yet again -- a character who was more "human" than many of the actual humans. BTW - the story I read from the link provided seems to have been cut off - or was not fully reprinted, it feels - as it just ends in the middle of a whole series of unanswered subjects about an alternative ending. Or am I the only one who thinks this, or did I not somehow get the entire story? What I read ended with BALTAR storyline .... then nothing...kept looking for more .... as I was with the actual ending of the series. Felt "off" somehow, the ending ... great battle scenes, then lots of odd tie-ups that didn't sit well with me in the least. so much for QUICK REPLY! sorry!! ;0) Con

seto1

[6]Apr 11, 2009
    • level: 16
    I dont think that can actually be considered an alternate ending,it doesnt seem that different.