Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

So who was the dying leader?

pumpkinhead2

[1]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 7

So who was the dying leader?

Laura would be the obvious answer ... but I don't think her role was particularly pivotal to anything. Yes she was the leader ... and she was dying ... and she was having visions ... but I think there are others with stronger cases.

"And the lords anointed a leader to guide the Caravan of the Heavens to their new homeland."

It strikes me that Roslyn may not have been anointed by the lords ... perhaps the leader was Kara. She was apparantly ressurected by God and given special knowledge to locate Earth.

"The dying leader shall know the truth of the opera house."

Was Kara the dying leader ... well she was dead ... you don't get much more dying than that. Clearly she was on borrowed time. Plus she learned the true meaning of the music on the bridge of the Galactica ... which is apparently the Opera House. With that knowledge she found the promised land.

On the other hand a case could be made for Ander's being the dying leader. After all the dying leader isn't supposed to see the promised land. Both Kara and Roslyn did ... for a short time ... but Ander's never got off the Galactica. In the end Ander's was more or less at one with the Galactica ... and of course it was the Galactica that led the people to the promised land in every way imaginable.

Edited on 03/21/2009 9:34pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MetaLuna

[2]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 5
    It was Laura. She WAS the leader for most of the journey, until she became too sick. She realized the "truth of the Opera House". She died before seeing the promised land. It turns out, though, that the promised land was the cabin Adam was going to build. She died right before they landed. I thought maybe it was a little bit sneaky, making "the promised land" the cabin Adama promised her instead of Earth itself, but they clearly knew what they were doing a few seasons back, so I'll let it slide.

chestrix

[3]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 3
    MetaLuna wrote:
    It was Laura. She WAS the leader for most of the journey, until she became too sick. She realized the "truth of the Opera House". She died before seeing the promised land. It turns out, though, that the promised land was the cabin Adam was going to build. She died right before they landed. I thought maybe it was a little bit sneaky, making "the promised land" the cabin Adama promised her instead of Earth itself, but they clearly knew what they were doing a few seasons back, so I'll let it slide.

I think it should be Laura too because she was dying the whole time and was the president and deserve it. But the prophecy said the leader wouldn't make it to the new land, which she did. (I can't accept the new land is the cabin land) But she should be the dying leader, imo

therealcromar

[4]Mar 22, 2009
    • level: 6

There was no leader. Actually, no leader (nor any human character) led them to Earth. Remember, the important part is that they die before they get there. Angel Kara did. Real Kara was dead, and did not lead them anywhere. Angel Kara led them to earth (twice) but was not dying, and certainly "lived" to see earth both times.

It seems like the answer should have been Galactica herself, but BSG did live to see Earth, so that's out. So did Adama, Laura, and Anders No dead character that I can think of had anything to do with reaching Earth. It was a dropped plot point.

Ionic_basic

[5]Mar 22, 2009
    • level: 5

It was either Kara, or the Galactica herself.

Kara led humanity to the promised land (earth jr) and learned the truth of the opera house (which was that the notes to the watchtower song were the coordinates to earth). She also died before seeing the promise land. Whether her spirit was there or not, her physical eyes were still siiting in her rotting skull on earth senior. She never physical set foot on earth jr.

As for Galactica being the leader, this was hinted at in daybreak 1, when baltar told Adama that the Galactica was a symbol of hope and security in the fleet. The battlestar also lead the rest of the fleet (and all of humanity) to Earth (after it jumped), and it was too crippled to land on its surface, so, it died after never reaching the promise land. As for learning the truth of the opera house? Well, the galactica (and everone else) did learn the truth of the opera house. If i remember correctly, the prophecy never said that the dying leader would "discover" the truth, or figure out the truth. Hell, even i "know" the truth of the opera house. Another argument is that when you type jump coordinates into a ship, you could say that the ship is learning them. To learn the truth of the opera house, essentially, is the galactica being given the information that the opera house itself symbolizes.

Does that make any sense? Frak it, im going to sleep.

ssa2204

[6]Mar 22, 2009
    • level: 6
    Speculate all you want, because in the end nothing is going to change the fact this was just another in a very long list of plot holes they could not fill. Epic failure on the part of the writers, may they never do another science fiction show again.

MajLorne

[7]Mar 22, 2009
    • level: 21
    You fault them over maybe dropping the ball in the last episode despite doing a relatively decent job the previous episodes before this one?

Jeric-Ho

[8]Mar 23, 2009
    • level: 34
    I think the dying leader was Galactica, it is the last remaining battlestar, and it was the leader of the fleet, it also lead humanity to earth, but did not have enough left in her to land on earth so Galactica the leader done it's job and was sent to rest.

"The dying leader shall know the truth of the opera house." The broken corridors were the corridors to the Opera House and the CIC was the Opera House, but this could only be seen through the eyes of the cylons through projection and through Laura because of the drugs she was taking.